Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

I do understand why he looks poor. He doesn't trust AWB and rightly so. It means he would be thinking about AWB's positioning and his own too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I do understand why he looks poor. He doesn't trust AWB and rightly so. It means he would be thinking about AWB's positioning and his own too.
To be fair it could be said the other way around, Wan Bissaka always comes narrow because he doesnt seems to trust Lindelof's physical ability to get stuck in and defend when needed.

A-man

The whole defence looked unorganised today, and in combination with our midfield loosing the ball in vulnerable positions, it was a bit shaky at some times. Overall ok defence but they can all do better. What I liked with Lindelof was especially second half where his positioning was good.
Great to see him follow up his assist with a goal. I am kind of tired of every corner aiming for Maguire so it was nice to see some variation.
Think he was 6/10 plus the goal so gave him 7/10.

Superunknown

The whole defence looked unorganised today, and in combination with our midfield loosing the ball in vulnerable positions, it was a bit shaky at some times. Overall ok defence but they can all do better. What I liked with Lindelof was especially second half where his positioning was good.
Great to see him follow up his assist with a goal. I am kind of tired of every corner aiming for Maguire so it was nice to see some variation.
Think he was 6/10 plus the goal so gave him 7/10.
I quite like Lindelof. The defenders have several good qualities separately, but for whatever reason it doesn't always work when they're put together as a unit. As you say, they can look shaky and don't often look that composed.

A-man

I quite like Lindelof. The defenders have several good qualities separately, but for whatever reason it doesn't always work when they're put together as a unit. As you say, they can look shaky and don't often look that composed.
Yes, and it was not just the back line but also the midfield. However we played against a team who threw everything they had at us and in the end we punished them for that. It was kind of a crazy match and maybe not the right match to analyse defence organisation :)

Caesar2290

To be fair it could be said the other way around, Wan Bissaka always comes narrow because he doesnt seems to trust Lindelof's physical ability to get stuck in and defend when needed.
Let's be honest here, how many times was Wan Bissaka caught out of position compared to Lindelof this season? I'm struggling to think of a single time Victor had trouble defending 1 vs 1. It's usually his aerial prowess that is being brought up, but considering that he improved on it this season whilist being played with a knock to the back, now that is pretty impressive.

The only thing that bothers me right now is if he injures his back, he will decline massively. Rio was never the same player after his back injury in 2009. I hope Ole can give him a rest soon.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Let's be honest here, how many times was Wan Bissaka caught out of position compared to Lindelof this season? I'm struggling to think of a single time Victor had trouble defending 1 vs 1. It's usually his aerial prowess that is being brought up, but considering that he improved on it this season whilist being played with a knock to the back, now that is pretty impressive.

The only thing that bothers me right now is if he injures his back, he will decline massively. Rio was never the same player after his back injury in 2009. I hope Ole can give him a rest soon.
Eh? 1vs 1 he always allows the cross to come in. I don’t see it with him. He’s not great is the best I can say.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lindelof is all the time telling AWB what to do. There was that match last season when you could hear that, and it was a bit brutal (Lindelof was all the time 'wake up' to him and giving babysitting instructions on where to go and what to do).

arthurka

The only good thing I can say is that he isn't as bad as he has been. Looks a bit more confident but this defensive unit is really bad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Eh? 1vs 1 he always allows the cross to come in. I don’t see it with him. He’s not great is the best I can say.
Exactly. Im not backing Wan Bissaka completely here - but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we got a left footed LCB, Maguire goes to the right and Wan Bissaka stops having to come so narrow.

Lindelof does this thing where he puts his hands behind his back and invites pressure by then stepping backwards.

For all the headers Wan Bissaka misses it's not like Lindelof is that good with them either.

If Maguire or a new RCB comes in and dominates that whole channel in a more progressive way rather than an inviting way, I can see Wan Bissaka in a more wider position than he plays now where he seems to always fall so narrow.

Having said that I think Lindelof has improved enough to be our number 3 or 4 if he is happy with it - not good enough to be our starting CB.

A-man

Lindelof is all the time telling AWB what to do. There was that match last season when you could hear that, and it was a bit brutal (Lindelof was all the time 'wake up' to him and giving babysitting instructions on where to go and what to do).
Yep even in the middle of a counter he started
to direct AWB, see 45:55 in first half.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's actually quite refreshing to get some contribution offensively from our CBs, he's done well to do that this week.

NinjaFletch

In all honesty, I thought he was incredibly shaky today. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt playing alongside a RB who has no idea how to play the position but I do think it's difficult to completely absolve him until we see how he goes with someone else. I'm still not convinced he's the answer.

simmee

Exactly. Im not backing Wan Bissaka completely here - but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we got a left footed LCB, Maguire goes to the right and Wan Bissaka stops having to come so narrow.

Lindelof does this thing where he puts his hands behind his back and invites pressure by then stepping backwards.

For all the headers Wan Bissaka misses it's not like Lindelof is that good with them either.

If Maguire or a new RCB comes in and dominates that whole channel in a more progressive way rather than an inviting way, I can see Wan Bissaka in a more wider position than he plays now where he seems to always fall so narrow.

Having said that I think Lindelof has improved enough to be our number 3 or 4 if he is happy with it - not good enough to be our starting CB.
AWB is not coming narrow by choice, he just has zero awareness of what's going on around him. Look at more or less any cross from the left where they have at least two people in the box. Everytime AWB will go towards the centre to the player in front of him (that's already marked) and leave a player completely free on the back post. He's either thick as shit or blind.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Good game today but he really needs to start telling AWB to stop chasing his man. Once a #9 comes in the 18 it should be Lindelof's or Maguire's man depending on which side of the field it is. But if that #9 starts his run from wide AWB tends to follow him all the way in and leaves the #11 that he should be picking up. Lindelof needs to sort this out with him...

Ekeke

Had none of his new long passes that set up chances. In his match in particular he had a couple of really poor first touches. Like at the 11.20 min mark where theres a simple ball to control and he bundles it out of play under no presssure. People would mention that if it was Phil Jones

He also let Bamford beat him for pace to get to a chance he put wide on 7:29 after McTominay had let the ball run and Leeds took the ball for a counter

Think he had another awkward moment with a first touch but not sure where in the match it was, so I'll come back to it when I've seen the match again

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He also let Bamford beat him for pace to get to a chance he put wide on 7:29 after McTominay had let the ball run and Leeds took the ball for a counter
That was a ridiculously bad piece of defending, he had at least 1m head start and he just let him go for some reason one on one with the keeper.

A-man

I think 4th choice is harsh, but you do realize that not every single player needs to be great for our current form right?

Its 4 wins, a draw and 2 losses in 7 matches
Lindelof has played 18 matches this season:
12 wins 4 losses 2 draws
It’s not too bad.

Alemar

Not very good defensively today. A scored goal of course gives him performance points, but we need better in defence

izec

I really rate him.
That surprises me. I think he is the perfect squad CB (like 3rd or 4th choice), but not starting material if you want to challenge for the big trophies.

He never convinced me and i dont see his qualities. Maybe a proper RB would make him better, but so far in his United career, i don't see him as a future starter. He is just not good enough defensively.

Ekeke

Lindelof has played 18 matches this season:
12 wins 4 losses 2 draws
It’s not too bad.
Certainly isnt. But the point is we dont need 11 great players to have that record. We need a bunch of really good players in form and then some of their teammates not to mess up too much and make it count for nothing

A-man

Certainly isnt. But the point is we dont need 11 great players to have that record. We need a bunch of really good players in form and then some of their teammates not to mess up too much and make it count for nothing
To be honest it feels like a season where everybody screws up more than normal. In all teams.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That's probably because Lindelof is scared shitless of doing any defending of his own. He always shift responsibility and blames someone else. Let's not forget that before Wan-Bissaka hit this bad run of form he was shutting down any winger down that side on his own. If players double up on him out wide while our central defence drops tight and deep to defend in the box, you can hardly blame him for not stopping every cross. In certain situations he is told to keep tight to Lindelof and in other games he is told to stay wide, yet the ball goes in the net either way, it's shit organising and passive defending, then blaming others for not making your job so easy you are able to do it.

I think he has played pretty well the last few games but the man is incapable of organising a defence and doesn't know when to push out and when to back off. He just always backs off, and before their last goal he had the ball at his possession but managed to rush De Gea out to take it from him for no reason at all, then he made the defence back off instead of pushing up when the ball was lost. Others made mistakes but he was the one who put us on the back foot for no reason, and just made us concede a goal out of nothing. No need for De Gea to kick that ball out when he had it, why was that the plan? If it wasn't either way it was a clear mistake by Lindelof, doing what he always does - shifts responsibility, backs off and blame others.

criticalanalysis

That's probably because Lindelof is scared shitless of doing any defending of his own. He always shift responsibility and blames someone else. Let's not forget that before Wan-Bissaka hit this bad run of form he was shutting down any winger down that side on his own. If players double up on him out wide while our central defence drops tight and deep to defend in the box, you can hardly blame him for not stopping every cross. In certain situations he is told to keep tight to Lindelof and in other games he is told to stay wide, yet the ball goes in the net either way, it's shit organising and passive defending, then blaming others for not making your job so easy you are able to do it.

I think he has played pretty well the last few games but the man is incapable of organising a defence and doesn't know when to push out and when to back off. He just always backs off, and before their last goal he had the ball at his possession but managed to rush De Gea out to take it from him for no reason at all, then he made the defence back off instead of pushing up when the ball was lost. Others made mistakes but he was the one who put us on the back foot for no reason, and just made us concede a goal out of nothing. No need for De Gea to kick that ball out when he had it, why was that the plan? If it wasn't either way it was a clear mistake by Lindelof, doing what he always does - shifts responsibility, backs off and blame others.
Agree with pretty much all of this.

As one of the posters said above, this might not be a game to analyse the defensive aspect too much because it was gung-ho from both sides but I don't like how AWB is being scapegoated for everything that comes down the right side. Make no mistake AWB has plenty of flaws and has a lot to improve on but he's hardly being helped by a proactive centre back, who will push up and squeeze the space behind him.

There's a multitude of issues but in essence AWB is being asked to push up and provide width, which naturally means he will be higher up the pitch. On top of his usual excellent work of shutting down his 1-on-1 duels, he then comes in narrow when the ball is on the other side and acts as a third centre back. Positionally he's being very generous with his area of coverage. The problem is that our centre backs and Lindelof especially, instead of closing the space in the channels, will retreat in the box and ask him and the whole midfield to sit deeper.

Contrast that to Maguire, who boxes out and goes across to Shaw's area (who like AWB despite being good 1-on-1 leaves space behind him).

Lindelof's back must be affecting him massively because he doesn't look totally fit. Before the goal I thought it was a typical Lindelof game, some loose touches, a lot of square balls taking no responsibility passing it back to AWB and some passive defending. 2nd half better with good positioning in the box but that's all really. Not a defensive stalwart or magnet-to-the-ball like the way Maguire was when the going got tough.

Ekeke

To be honest it feels like a season where everybody screws up more than normal. In all teams.
Defensively I'd agree. And I'd also suggest its down to a lot of teams now encouraging their defenders to play the ball out and the players losing concentration of taking a poor touch that gives a pass away. Teams give away chances like that regularly now

A-man

Defensively I'd agree. And I'd also suggest its down to a lot of teams now encouraging their defenders to play the ball out and the players losing concentration of taking a poor touch that gives a pass away. Teams give away chances like that regularly now
Yes, I also mean defensively and when playing out from the back. There have been so many loss of possession in dangerous areas from defenders and midfielders this season, for all teams. I think half of our chances we have conceded come from failed passes or loss of possession in vulnerable areas. And unorganised defences in more or less every team, even though it looks better now than a month ago. It can’t be a coincidence, it must come from not having a pre season. Could be that some forwards suffer too, like Martial and Greenwood who both seem to have lost the sharpness they had last season.

Foxbatt

I have seen the match a couple of times and AWB is getting inside and I think is more ball watching and Lindelof is waving him out but he is not seeing it at all. he did not have a brilliant game I agree but was acceptable because we won by a huge margin.

Red00012

And AWB doesn’t trust Lindelof either by the looks of his positioning at times

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thank God we abandoned that for today's game, I'm really not a fan of us playing out from the back.

Ekeke

Thank God we abandoned that for today's game, I'm really not a fan of us playing out from the back.
Lindelof ran the ball out of the back and then looked for a pass which is something he usually makes a bit of progress with and some neat passing, and Maguire did it a few times today as well. I think they're both better at that than just passing the ball into a midfielder like they're Xavi and Iniesta. Take a player on and make better angles or draw people out of position before trying to play the pass because the opponents are waiting for you to play a pass they can intercept and break from

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Done well today but based on a recent interview he gave he needs resting. Trouble is our back up cbs are crocks.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...terview-to-preview-leeds-match-on-20-dec-2020
I already have said this a few weeks ago that it is only a matter of time before he will be out for a long time.

Solskjaer doesn't rate Tuanzebe and Bailly otherwise Lindelöf wouldn't have played so much......we must definitely go for a new centre-back in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.