Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I already have said this a few weeks ago that it is only a matter of time before he will be out for a long time.

Solskjaer doesn't rate Tuanzebe and Bailly otherwise Lindelöf wouldn't have played so much......we must definitely go for a new centre-back in January.
Hopefully one of them will play the match on Wednesday at least.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lindelof ran the ball out of the back and then looked for a pass which is something he usually makes a bit of progress with and some neat passing, and Maguire did it a few times today as well. I think they're both better at that than just passing the ball into a midfielder like they're Xavi and Iniesta. Take a player on and make better angles or draw people out of position before trying to play the pass because the opponents are waiting for you to play a pass they can intercept and break from
They need to do this a lot more often.

with teams pressing the midfield so high they can literally break it by the midfielders moving away and giving them space to run into. So often though they’ll just take the cheap 5 yard sideways pass to another player that’s already under pressure and we end up turning it over.

I thought on the ball that was the best out defence has been in ages - defensively though still very wobbly. We look so poor with crosses into the box.

Kamprad

Haven’t been writing in this thread for long. Gotta give him cred for playing all these minutes and raising his game from previous seasons. Still many negative aspects of his game he need to work on and he’ll never be a world class defender when lacking so many attributes but he’s shown a lot of mental strength this season and payed off a big portion of the transfer fee.

Does not sound sustainable at all. Would love it if Axel was ready to step up but if not, a new cb might be a must in january
a new CB is a must full stop. It’s just when we can get them in. Rojo and Jones are person non grata, and Bailly cannot be trusted.

reality is we have an injury prone young player as our backup, and that’s about it. Very thin on the ground.

even if Tuanzebe can stay fit and step up, we need another CB - it’s just whether we can get though until the summer. Massive risk. A 4-6 week injury to either Lindelöf, but especially Maguire could derail our season.

McSauce FC

I already have said this a few weeks ago that it is only a matter of time before he will be out for a long time.

Solskjaer doesn't rate Tuanzebe and Bailly otherwise Lindelöf wouldn't have played so much......we must definitely go for a new centre-back in January.
They are hardly ever fit to play, he might have rated them otherwise.

We definetly need a top CB, but we will have to wait until the summer transfer window according to reports.

A-man

Does not sound sustainable at all. Would love it if Axel was ready to step up but if not, a new cb might be a must in january
No it’s not sustainable. And Maguire has already been out a (very) short period because of injury. If one or both of them get injured and can’t play for a month it would be pretty bad. I don’t think the most critical is a world class CB, because that is hard to find, expensive and always taking a risk. I would prefer someone around 28+ years old who has at minimum 7-8 seasons of PL and a good injury record.

A-man

a new CB is a must full stop. It’s just when we can get them in. Rojo and Jones are person non grata, and Bailly cannot be trusted.

reality is we have an injury prone young player as our backup, and that’s about it. Very thin on the ground.

even if Tuanzebe can stay fit and step up, we need another CB - it’s just whether we can get though until the summer. Massive risk. A 4-6 week injury to either Lindelöf, but especially Maguire could derail our season.
We have 4 games in 11 days. If Ole doesn’t rest Maguire and Lindelof at least one match each, I don’t see the point in having Bailly and Tuanzebe. If they are fit to play.

Leicester 2:2 Man Utd

A-man

Awkward position for him. Stupid to not let him rest and play someone else, he looked in pain already from the start.
Did ok defensively but offered absolute nothing forward. On the positive side he was very good at winning back the ball early and much stronger in the air than we are used to from our RB. Let’s hope he’ll recover soon because there will be no title chase if we are forced to play Bailly in the centre.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I thought he started well in the first 5 mins or so timing his tackles well a few times. Then not long after that he felt what it was like to be AWB and be doubled up on the left wing with runs behind him and it was normal from there.

Let him rest.

Lassitude42

Yeah he's not a right back. Lacks the pace to be effective, struggled today at both ends of the pitch.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I thought he was horrible. Didn't defend, made a lot of unnecessary free-kicks and didn't run forward. He is a slow passer of the ball masquerading as a footballer at times. You simply can't order people around, waiving your arms when you yourself has the composure of a horny bulldog. His touch is weak, his dribbling and creativity is a lot worse than AWB which is a problem when he supposedly is bad at it. This guy needs to leave, imo. Cost us 35m and has been here 4 years already, he is not a kid anymore. Not a CDM, not a RB, and in my opinion not a top quality CB.

Think about it, since he came into the team as a first team regular we have been horrible defensively. Statistically too, I'd imagine.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
The fact that he's even playing while injured says everything you need to know about the depth on CB as well as RB. Not good for the player nor the team to have him play with an injury, and this has to change come January.

As for MikeKing's post above... yikes.

kundalini

Lindelof has looked out of his depth when used as a right-back in the past. No great surprise that he continued to look lost in the role.

Leicester really dominated down their left side, up against Dan James and Lindelof. Far too easy for them to progress the ball on that side.

Their contribution towards Rashford's goal was amusing. Awful pass from Lindelof, poor pass from Dan James, Fernandes just about gets a toe to the ball, Rashford scores.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I thought he was horrible. Didn't defend, made a lot of unnecessary free-kicks and didn't run forward. He is a slow passer of the ball masquerading as a footballer at times. You simply can't order people around, waiving your arms when you yourself has the composure of a horny bulldog. His touch is weak, his dribbling and creativity is a lot worse than AWB which is a problem when he supposedly is bad at it. This guy needs to leave, imo. Cost us 35m and has been here 4 years already, he is not a kid anymore. Not a CDM, not a RB, and in my opinion not a top quality CB.

Think about it, since he came into the team as a first team regular we have been horrible defensively. Statistically too, I'd imagine.
Today he played on RB so i will not even comment on today's game.
But the rest....he is our best defender. He is the one who covers Harry. He is the one who tries to organise defence. He is the one who plays simple. And last; he is the one who should stay and get another partner.

Fussmeister

Lindelof has looked out of his depth when used as a right-back in the past. No great surprise that he continued to look lost in the role.

Leicester really dominated down their left side, up against Dan James and Lindelof. Far too easy for them to progress the ball on that side.

Their contribution towards Rashford's goal was amusing. Awful pass from Lindelof, poor pass from Dan James, Fernandes just about gets a toe to the ball, Rashford scores.
Bit surprised, he should be better playing RB. When he got in the all star team at U21 euro team he played RB ( 2015 ). At that time he was fast and fearless aswell.

Kamprad

I’ve criticized him a lot but I think you should cut him a slack this time. He’s been injured and should probably rested this game too. Now he’s put on the right which requires more in some physical aspects than a CB. I guess Ole wanted Baillys speed in the middle. But he did ok considering the circumstances.

lex talionis

Lindelof gave everything he had today. We’ll done.

Hopefully his medical issues aren’t too serious.

MattofManchester

Hope he's not badly injured. I'm going to be quite upset if he's been constantly playing through injury, because it means we haven't learned our lessons about that.

On the other hand, him being out isn't great news.
We have nobody who organizes the defence in his place as, while he's another one of our good-but-not-great defenders, he's the closest thing we have to a leader at the back.

Dante

Average bang
He got targetted a lot by Leicester and - to be fair to him - finished his performance with a decent amount of credit to his name. But he also gave away a lot, which is never a good thing during an even contest.

I thought it was very telling that Tuanzebe didn't get targetted by Rogers in the same way. Following the sub, Axel locked down the right flank for the rest of the match after we'd looked vulnerable there up to that point.

Lindelof played like a CB doing a job at RB. If that's what Ole wants to do, Lindelof shouldn't be selected there again as long as Tuanzebe is fit.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
But the rest....he is our best defender. He is the one who covers Harry. He is the one who tries to organise defence. He is the one who plays simple. And last; he is the one who should stay and get another partner.
Sorry but I don't think that is accurate. In short I disagree that he is better than Harry Maguire or any other CB we've had since Mourinho brought him in. He mostly stays fit though and has a certain level of consistency but without Harry he is a lost figure, whilst Harry probably isn't.

Chief123

Rumours doing the rounds on Twitter that he’ll require surgery and is out for the season.

If true, it would be suicidal if we don’t go out and buy a CB next month considering all our other options are far too often testing the strength of the physio bed.

jem

Sorry but I don't think that is accurate. In short I disagree that he is better than Harry Maguire or any other CB we've had since Mourinho brought him in. He mostly stays fit though and has a certain level of consistency but without Harry he is a lost figure, whilst Harry probably isn't.
Right, like the first PSG game....You're talking absolute nonsense as, with the exception of that PSG game, there really haven't been many (if any) instances of Lindelof playing without Maguire. And in the season before Maguire arrived, Lindelof was probably our best defender. Don't believe me? Here's the Independent's player ratings for the 2018-19 season: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-pogba-sanchez-lukaku-solskjaer-a8924646.html

Tapori

Rumours doing the rounds on Twitter that he’ll require surgery and is out for the season.

If true, it would be suicidal if we don’t go out and buy a CB next month considering all our other options are far too often testing the strength of the physio bed.
Well at least Tuanzebe is now sink or swim

Ekeke

Would be a huge blow for Lindelof if he's out for the season. One of his best points is that unlike our other CBs hes usually fit

chb23

well he wasn't exactly fit. He was playing injured.. just that he had the balls to keep going

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To be fair it's not like Bailly and Tuenzebe were injured or half reliable centre backs; the Lindelof problem was going to occur.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol:

I'd be really surprised if the season-ending back surgery thing is true.

He's been playing through chronic back trouble for over a year now. Despite that he's been virtually ever present, even playing back-to-back Wednesday/Saturday matches. He's been substituted a few times when it's really flared up mid-game, but even then he's almost always made himself available for the next match.

It'd be weird if there's no middle area between running him into the ground and having season-ending surgery.

Like the option of giving him a few weeks off to rest his back....like not playing him in back-to-backs...not throwing him in at right back when he's clearly struggling physically.

the only part of your post that’s correct is that he played RB yesterday.

Red_toad

Why won’t you comment? Is it because he played absolutely trash?
The bits you did comment on are just pure imagination, he’s not our bestdefender, nor an organiser and the club won’t be keeping him and benching Maguire.
He’s much improved this season and was rightly keeping out Eric and Axel, but long term he can be improved upon.
Ole was wrong to play him at right back, he’s too slow and offers zero to the attack to play there. Leicester targeted him as a weakness and Barnes went past him way too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.