Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

If there's one thing Lindelof has always been very good at, and has perhaps received little recognition for, it's his long-passing range. He's done it a number of times over the last few years, and almost twice today. And it's not just a long hoof. He's genuinely very good on the ball, and so when I often read criticism of him for his ball ability, it's baffling because he's one of the best at it. It's just unfortunate that his technical skillset isn't coupled with a larger frame and more athleticism.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Between him, Maguire and Varane we should be set for the CB spot for a few years. I wouldn't sell him personally. You're not going to find a better sub central defender than lindelof.

Sting

Does anyone think he could do a job for us at the CDM position? He sure got the passing range for it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Between him, Maguire and Varane we should be set for the CB spot for a few years. I wouldn't sell him personally. You're not going to find a better sub central defender than lindelof.
Definitely don’t sell him. Solid back-up for Varane. Very hard to replace with a player of equivalent quality. I think he could be reasonable back up at right back, if necessary.

meamth

Feel bad benching him after that performance.

Varane can top that, then we're on to something.

SAFMUTD

Beautiful pass, great to see him playing this well. I think he's the kind of player to grow into challenge rather than shrunk.

Walters_19_MuFc

Never understood the criticism of Lindelof. As a club, you always want to upgrade your first XI and in Varane, we have obviously done that. However, I felt Lindelof was solid throughout most of last season and continued that today, which was topped off by a beautiful assist. I think people forget he was nursing a back injury, too.

He'll now become a squad player but a fantastic player to have, who will no doubt get plenty of game time. Between him, Varane, Bailly and Maguire, I think we have a very good selection of centre backs.

Blood Mage

He's a good CB. Not as good as Maguire or Varane though and he will lose his place. I hope he doesn't react too negatively to being 3rd choice because he's a fantastic back-up to have and I'd hate to lose him (unless some nutter throws £50m or more our way).

A-man

Good game. His long balls give us an extra dimension. They are often “hockey passes” where we don’t always win the ball directly, but by applying pressure we win it back and we have quickly established the play high up the pitch.
I think his passing and the precise long balls in to the box and what that means for our attacking game, will be his “weapon” in the fight for the CB spots. Varane and Harry are not capable of those.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Never understood the criticism of Lindelof. As a club, you always want to upgrade your first XI and in Varane, we have obviously done that. However, I felt Lindelof was solid throughout most of last season and continued that today, which was topped off by a beautiful assist. I think people forget he was nursing a back injury, too.

He'll now become a squad player but a fantastic player to have, who will no doubt get plenty of game time. Between him, Varane, Bailly and Maguire, I think we have a very good selection of centre backs.
Haven't you heard? He costs us every other game and is the worst defender to have played for the club ever.

meamth

He's a good CB. Not as good as Maguire or Varane though and he will lose his place. I hope he doesn't react too negatively to being 3rd choice because he's a fantastic back-up to have and I'd hate to lose him (unless some nutter throws £50m or more our way).
I'd value him at 60m at least.

Rojofiam

Why the feck would we sell him when he's still gonna play a lot of games being 3rd choice? Have you ever heard of depth? You know, it's the thing that won City the League last season

Godfather

Really good game. Is always capable of these. Sadly comes up with a few brain fecks every season but we really have a bunch of very good CBS now.

meamth

Why the feck would we sell him when he's still gonna play a lot of games being 3rd choice? Have you ever heard of depth? You know, it's the thing that won City the League last season
Whoever suggested selling him is a twat. Don't give them attention.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
If Lindelof was a english player, and Maguire not, I think the given choice would have been Lindelof as your second CB beside Varane. Maguire being english, and a english national starter, makes him very hard to bench for a english team. And I also think a lot of supporters have a more favorable view on Maguire compared to Lindelof, at least when you read english papers and threads in this forum. In other words, Lindelof needs to really outperform Maguire for being picked infront of him, a lot more than he did today. With that said, i fully understand why english teams prioritize english players, it makes sense, but yeah...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If Lindelof was a english player, and Maguire not, I think the given choice would have been Lindelof as your second CB beside Varane. Maguire being english, and a english national starter, makes him very hard to bench for a english team. And I also think a lot of supporters have a more favorable view on Maguire compared to Lindelof, at least when you read english papers and threads in this forum. In other words, Lindelof needs to really outperform Maguire for being picked infront of him, a lot more than he did today. With that said, i fully understand why english teams prioritize english players, it makes sense, but yeah...
This needs a response from @TheBritFromBritain

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nationality nothing to do with it. Maguire adds things that the other 2 don’t.

Devil may care

He was decent today bar the one aerial situation where McTominay bailed him out, lovely weighted pass for Bruno's 3rd.

Paul_Scholes18

I said we have two great central defenders already, but if Varane is even better than him this season can result in the league for us.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I still expect to see him at RB at times this season.

criticalanalysis

Not sure if I just have lowered my expectations but I thought he had a really good game today. Our defence wasn't tested much but Lindelof covered the space well, made some important blocks and perhaps more impressively was very proactive with the ball. Where was this Lindelof last year?!

That said, let's be realistic, this game was not his standard risk adverse and sheepish performances of the last few years. If we continue to play in a way where we finish our chances, press high, not concede too many chances in the open field and from set pieices, then Lindelof will be an asset as a first teamer, if he played like this was his usual form. The issue is that not all teams are going to be like Leeds, who were gung-ho trying to match our players one-for-one when they neither have the individual or athletic quality.

Wrong. He needs to outperform and be a better player. He rarely does the former (dropping behind everyone and not making 'obvious mistakes' isn't playing better) and isn't the latter. Maguire gets slated for not being worth £80m, is the captain of Utd and has to carry much of the aerial battles, whilst being the most proactive passing centre back in his two years with us. If Lindelof produces like today every game until the end of the season then we can reevaluate but as it stands, it may be too late for him because we're not bringing in Varane to sit on the bench. Lindelof can blame himself or bad luck (if it is the back injury) for that.

Albin Johansson

Glad that we finally have that high class competition for the two back spots. I don't think we've had that since Rio, Vidic and Evans (with the occasional o'shea, smalling, brown). It would be even more interesting to see how varane, lindelöf and maguire performs in a back three. Lindelöf for sure is a world class centre back and there's a good reason he's been playing ahead of smalling, bailly, tuanzebe etc although it seems to be really hard for some people grasp. And believe it or not there's a reason Ole is our manager and not some testosterone-filled member on the caf that thinks that an old school aggressive english CB is the answer for every goal we concede.

VNL won't give his spot up without a fight and maguire should be just as cautious.

Shimo

The Swede ! Excellent game defensively and a sumptuous pass for the hattrick. Going to be a real kick in the teeth to drop to the bench on the back of that assuming Varane starts next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.