Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

He nearly cost us early on when he played Bamford onside then stopped tracking him in the box so McT had to cover him otherwise it would have been a goal. After that he was good. Fantastic pass to Fernandes, just like to Rashford against SU away last season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Wrong. He needs to outperform and be a better player. He rarely does the former (dropping behind everyone and not making 'obvious mistakes' isn't playing better) and isn't the latter. Maguire gets slated for not being worth £80m, is the captain of Utd and has to carry much of the aerial battles, whilst being the most proactive passing centre back in his two years with us. If Lindelof produces like today every game until the end of the season then we can reevaluate but as it stands, it may be too late for him because we're not bringing in Varane to sit on the bench. Lindelof can blame himself or bad luck (if it is the back injury) for that.
Not sure I'd agree with this. It was quite even between them for the first 18 months after Maguire joined, with Maguire having a lot more poor games and poor periods than people seem to remember now. Maguire's top level was obviously higher but there were plenty of games where Lindelof was better.

Obviously in the second half of last season Maguire stepped up a level or two though, and hopefully he'll continue on with that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If Lindelof was a english player, and Maguire not, I think the given choice would have been Lindelof as your second CB beside Varane. Maguire being english, and a english national starter, makes him very hard to bench for a english team. And I also think a lot of supporters have a more favorable view on Maguire compared to Lindelof, at least when you read english papers and threads in this forum. In other words, Lindelof needs to really outperform Maguire for being picked infront of him, a lot more than he did today. With that said, i fully understand why english teams prioritize english players, it makes sense, but yeah...
Hold on a minute, pot calling the kettle black here. I'm not sure we'd see such an impassioned defence of Lindelof from you lot if he was Danish.

criticalanalysis

Not sure I'd agree with this. It was quite even between them for the first 18 months after Maguire joined, with Maguire having a lot more poor games and poor periods than people seem to remember now. Maguire's top level was obviously higher but there were plenty of games where Lindelof was better.

Obviously in the second half of last season Maguire stepped up a level or two though, and hopefully he'll continue on with that.
That's a fair comment and I'd trust your opinion as you're quite good with the analytical stats. My memory was that Maguire came in and took on most of the responsibility whilst Lindelof was doing his usual zonal covering and on-the-back-foot first type of defending. Perhaps he was more consistent in that aspect and therefore may be seen as being 'better' but not for me. It's not that I value someone, who tries more (and by association fail more) like Fred (number of passes, tackles/dribbled past etc), it's just I value their proactive mentality to try to affect the game because it's warranted and needed. There's a fine line of course where you can disruptively do too much like Pogba's dawdling on the ball in the middle of the pitch because there's no obvious passing options/lack of movement. However, I think a decent percentage of Maguire's failures and poor periods was because he wasn't content with sitting back, getting boxed in, recognised the lack of the penentrative passing etc and not to mention the lack of impetus from his team mates like said centre back partner. Of course they still need to be overall effective as well.

Anyways, I think my point still stands. Playing 'better' (as that can be attributed to consistency/not making mistakes/playing the status quo) doesn't neccessarily equal 'outperform' and as you've acknowledged, Maguire's top level performances to me are worth more than a 'played better than the other' comparison. If Lindelof had many games like today where he 'outperformed' Maguire, I can respect that but it's more like he was 'better' by virtue of not being the worst, which is not a good barometer of judgement imo.

Hopefully Lindelof can keep this up when he plays. Not many complaints from me today.

Last edited:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
If Lindelof was a english player, and Maguire not, I think the given choice would have been Lindelof as your second CB beside Varane. Maguire being english, and a english national starter, makes him very hard to bench for a english team. And I also think a lot of supporters have a more favorable view on Maguire compared to Lindelof, at least when you read english papers and threads in this forum. In other words, Lindelof needs to really outperform Maguire for being picked infront of him, a lot more than he did today. With that said, i fully understand why english teams prioritize english players, it makes sense, but yeah...
That's absolute nonsense. The better players play. The better palyers play and Lindelof will be benched despite his decent performance today - simply because he's tier or two below Maguire and it really doesn't matter if he's from Sweden. But obviously another biased Swede here I shouldn't reply to.

Leonzo1

His long balls forward are class.
I reckon this was his 5th or 6th assist in the past year or so. A fantastic third choice we have in him. I'm hoping he stays and fights for his place here, he'll get plenty of games no doubt.

MagooDad

We probably have the best 3rd choice central defender outside of Juventus and PSG.

Grande

This is a fair summary according to how I experienced it. Lindelöf had perhaps the better game of them today, but it had also much to do with Leeds best attacks coming down their right.

LInkash

I suppose this is the kind of depth we need, I mean Laporte doesn't start for Man City.

ghagua

Lindelof played very well today have to admit. I wonder if we can convert him into a holding midfielder. He can tackle some, good passer, and is comfortable on the ball. Playing as a central defender will have given him some understanding of positioning to play that role. Something like O'Shea used to do years ago.

Foxbatt

Lindelof played very well today have to admit. I wonder if we can convert him into a holding midfielder. He can tackle some, good passer, and is comfortable on the ball. Playing as a central defender will have given him some understanding of positioning to play that role. Something like O'Shea used to do years ago.
I always felt that he has the ability to play there. Now the older folks would remember a few European players of old who can play as a Libero ( sweeper to the British) and in midfield too. The European Cup used to have these players switching positions to the home and away leg. Koeman (Ronald) is one who can play and so was Rijkard. Gunter Netzer of Germany was another top player who can play in either of these positions and I am sure Robbo has played a few times too. Whether he has the stamina to play there is another story.
He had more than one long pass today. He is not that slow compared to Matic and I think he would beat Fred for pace.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No he can't . He is an excellent defender if the football is played on ground. He would be a brilliant first backup.

And please, lets not bring Oshea into this because Fergie has done things bigger than that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A DM has to be able to head, no?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
You need to be press resistant to be a DM. I don't think Lindelof is that good at it. Ofcourse his passing is good and has always been underappreciated part of his game but don't think it is enough to qualify him as DM.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He played well today, this style of football suits him. Everything on the ground in front of him, he can intercept on the floor with little physical work to do.

Have to say the pass for Bruno's 3rd was very very good.

Alfie092

Very good 3rd choice centreback that would do well to come in for Maguire or Varane when they are injured/suspended/rested. With his ball playing ability he would be very useful in a back 3. Don't want him to be sold but don't want him to be a starting 11 player either.

KingBojanDjordic

As already have been mentioned, great game by Lindelof today (among others).

I would however be remiss lest I forget to mention that an excellent and bold header from him initiated the opening Bruno goal.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He started his career as a DM, but has said himself it's been so long since he played there that it wouldn't work now.

podurban2

He has great games in him, then he has games where he allows 1-2 easy goals and you go ”ah, that’s why we need a better CB”.

ghagua

No he can't . He is an excellent defender if the football is played on ground. He would be a brilliant first backup.

And please, lets not bring Oshea into this because Fergie has done things bigger than that.
That's fine if you think so.

ghagua

A DM has to be able to head, no?
I feel the same way about Lindelof as you do Blunder, but there is something in him that I think we can use in midfield. He won't be the last line of defense and may just be someone we can use in that position. He has good passing ability for that role, is able to put in a tackle, and he can run around breaking up plays without causing too much damage to our team.

zenith

Competition always seems to bring the best out of players. More the better.

Lindelof is prone to the odd lapses of concentration, missed headers leading to goals and hiding in set pieces.

Bringing in varane will motivate him to further up his game. I just can't see the issue in that

ghagua

He started his career as a DM, but has said himself it's been so long since he played there that it wouldn't work now.
A few games and he might get used to it you never know. I have seen countless players make position changes and actually do very well.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Seen a lot of comments on my view that Maguire is taken for granted as a choice in front of Lindelof because his english. And i want to clarify that it is not about Lindelof being Swedish or anything i think people having a more critical view of him, it is all about English fans, English teams, and English press always have a biased view on English players. Would be the same if Lindelof was Danish or anything else beside English. As a consequence Maguire is viewed more favorable, and Lindelof needs to play better than if he was English, to take a starter place. Just look at this thread for example, everyone seems to think there is not a discussion on Lindelof being your 3rd pick, and seeing Maguire as a better player. But if you look at your own ratings from last season, you rate them exactly the same, at 5.9. But when English people think of Maguire vs Lindelof, the view is completely different. Wonder why...

And to be clear, I do not necessary think Lindelof is a better player, i think they are pretty equal, both have ups and downs, both makes mistakes, Varane is clearly on a other level. But you guys viewing Lindelof as a obviously worse player, and Maguire as this world class defender, thats just because Maguire is English. You like your own players to be better than they are (just as you always believe your national team is better than it is). And English teams prefer picking and playing English players because thats looks better. Thats why English players are always 10-20 millions more expansive than other players. English players cost more, because English teams are more desperate to have English players in there lineups. That is a fact.

CG1010

Him as DM basically means 3 at the back. It can be done but entire team structure has to be accordingly modified.

fergosaurus

Him as DM basically means 3 at the back. It can be done but entire team structure has to be accordingly modified.
3 at the back and Lindelof as a DM would be one of the most grim looking starting lineups ever

Status
Not open for further replies.