Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some classy long balls from him. Always a mystery to me that he was sold approaching his prime years.
Yeah, he was good with both feet. Also thought Van Gaal would love him as he was so good on the ball but that didn't work out as expected.

Dan_F

He’ll get plenty of game time and if he wants to leave next season so be it. It only becomes an issue when you aren’t winning things.

The ruthless option would be to take any money offered now and keep Bailly/Tuanzebe, but the latter just needs game time for the sake of his career.

Hughes35

I've been massively critical about Lindelof since he joined but I am very happy with him as a back up option.

He will get plenty of game time with injury, rotation and cup games.

My only worry for him is that from memory, he was very poor when coming in for the odd game and has been better since being a regular in the first 11.

The Evans to Rio and Vidic is a good shout (Not that I think Varane is a good as Rio or Maguire as good as Vidic)

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Should be our 3rd choice CB and 2nd RB(against good teams). Sell Bailly and Jones.

Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB
Telles - Axel - Lindelöf - Dalot

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Actually we didn’t concede less from setpieces when Lindelof didn’t played.

Setpiece goals conceded for different CB pairs:

Harry Lindelof 7
Harry Bailly 2
Axel Bailly 1
Harry Axel 1
Lindelof Bailly 2

(Direct free kick goal excluded)

I’ve gone through every setpiece goal and can’t say one player is more at fault than anybody else. It really looks to be a systematic /organisational problem. One problem is that we allow the big players to get free run. Like when Tarkowski outmuscled Maguire and scored. Maguire had no chance as Tarkowski was allowed an almost free run against Maguire standing on the line.
Or like the EL final where Lindelof couldn’t but a clue

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
In his rightful place as backup
Yes, he's never going to inspire a side to a league title but as a back up, he's very okay. Never injured and has far more good games than bad ones. Some give the impression like he's a cross between Boumsong and Mangala.

golden_blunder

Staff
Lindelöf is a average center back nothing special third choice sounds right at our club nothing more.
Swedish media can't say anything bad about the guy even when he has cost us in games.
Swedish commentary never puts any blame on him even if he's the culprit when we're playing.
They praise the smallest thing he does during games even if it's pretty standard for a player to do what he does.
This season will be fun they're probably gonna roast our CBs and say we need Lindelöf in the team or Lindelöf could of prevented that.
Does @A-man work for them, it sounds familiar

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes, he's never going to inspire a side to a league title but as a back up, he's very okay. Never injured and has far more good games than bad ones. Some give the impression like he's a cross between Boumsong and Mangala.
Well he’s not that bad but he should never have been a regular starter here, he makes too many errors and relies too much on others to hide his deficiencies

golden_blunder

Staff
I've been massively critical about Lindelof since he joined but I am very happy with him as a back up option.

He will get plenty of game time with injury, rotation and cup games.

My only worry for him is that from memory, he was very poor when coming in for the odd game and has been better since being a regular in the first 11.

The Evans to Rio and Vidic is a good shout (Not that I think Varane is a good as Rio or Maguire as good as Vidic)
Not as good as Evans either and people wanted him gone too

golden_blunder

Staff

It’s crazy just how frequently he’s a main character in our goals conceded here, whether he’s losing aerial battles, physical battles, or his position lets him down. But because we end up winning these games it doesn’t get analysed or remembered.
It’s clear that an upgrade was needed because we can’t expect to keep winning matches from losing positions.

Hopefully whenever Lindelof is called upon he has the motivation to make a case for himself and takes his game to the next level, so I can stop calling him soft every year.
Bingo! Finally someone else calls it. He’s gets away with a lot of his errors because his teammates bale him out. Now imagine the team didn’t have to worry about that so much anymore..

Hughes35

Not as good as Evans either and people wanted him gone too
Very true. On the other hand, I don't think defenders in general are as good as they were in the Rio ere, So i think all three are probably the modern day equivalents.

BigBebe

For all the talk of the Maguire/Varane partnership, I will be interested to see how Lindelof performs with Varane - maybe a partner with a bit more pace could help his overall game.

Given the Maguire is not back into training for another couple of weeks, it could be that Ole starts with Varane/Lindeloff against Leeds so we may get a chance to see.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am absolutely stoked by the Varane deal like everyone else, but why some want to sell Lindelof is beyond me. Still a very important player and having a third good CB certainly does not hurt.
There are a bunch of players we clearly need less than him.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Can I get an answer on this?
Can he play as DM or converted to one? Seen Oshea in that role a few times for Sir Alex, maybe it's easier for fullbacks to transition. Someone help me out here.

criticalanalysis

Can he play as DM or converted to one? Seen Oshea in that role a few times for Sir Alex, maybe it's easier for fullbacks to transition. Someone help me out here.
If you're for real then the answer is no, as he is not good enough as a first choice defender, let alone in all aspects needed in midfield.

He's not strong or decisive enough, neither does he take responsibility as the deepest lying defender with the whole pitch and all the players in front of him. Can you imagine Lindelof receiving the ball on the half turn or when an opposition player is in within 5 yards of him? It's going back where it came and for any transitions or players running with the ball, you can bet your dollar he's not going to engage or do anything of note other than shepherding him into his own half.

He'll be brilliant at playing flag/touch football where it's only all about zonal positioning and little physical presence.

Fergie was a genius, who got the most of his team but he wouldn't get away with having a O'Shea/Rafael/Park centre midfield nowadays; not that he would need to because he would have built a superior team.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
If you're for real then the answer is no, as he is not good enough as a first choice defender, let alone in all aspects needed in midfield.

He's not strong or decisive enough, neither does he take responsibility as the deepest lying defender with the whole pitch and all the players in front of him. Can you imagine Lindelof receiving the ball on the half turn or when an opposition player is in within 5 yards of him? It's going back where it came and for any transitions or players running with the ball, you can bet your dollar he's not going to engage or do anything of note other than shepherding him into his own half.

He'll be brilliant at playing flag/touch football where it's only all about zonal positioning and little physical presence.

Fergie was a genius, who got the most of his team but he wouldn't get away with having a O'Shea/Rafael/Park centre midfield nowadays; not that he would need to because he would have built a superior team.
Oh it was a serious question. Someone here might have seen him at junior level or at some point in his formative years to give insight to a side of his game we would not have seen in his present role.
Btw I generally believe top level footballer are as good as the instructions they are given. So Fergie would have made it work now if the need arised.

Blood Mage

He's easily our 3rd best CB and we need to keep hold of him. It's Jones and Tuanzebe who need to leave. Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly are enviable defensive options, we have actual depth at CB for the first time in ages.

Lindelof and Bailly should start the league cup games tbh.

LoneStar

He should stay, we need a 3rd CB, and this should be someone who can manage to stay fit when needed. The reason we weren't concerned last season was because Maguire and him are not prone to injuries as much, and hence we haven't had to rely on Baily.

I don't trust Baily to be fit when we need him, and he's arguably regressed since he's joined us. Which makes his contract extension seem bonkers. Sell him and keep Lindelof and Axel as backups.

Denis79

Doubt he'll do well in that position. Isn't agressive nor brave enough.

golden_blunder

Staff
I am absolutely stoked by the Varane deal like everyone else, but why some want to sell Lindelof is beyond me. Still a very important player and having a third good CB certainly does not hurt.
There are a bunch of players we clearly need less than him.
Yes, 3rd is fine.
But you have to understand that for many people he was number 1 on the upgrade ASAP list

criticalanalysis

Oh it was a serious question. Someone here might have seen him at junior level or at some point in his formative years to give insight to a side of his game we would not have seen in his present role.
Btw I generally believe top level footballer are as good as the instructions they are given. So Fergie would have made it work now if the need arised.
It varies on your intepretation but Lindelof is not a top level footballer and compared to his colleagues in the club probably has the lowest upward potential or base ability bar thereotical/zonal reading of the game.

If Fergie was to choose anyone to give instructions to, unless he had half the squad depleted to injuries and/or he couldn't buy anyone else, Lindelof would not be his 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice as a DM.

Look at the comments in this thread, where the majority believe he is very comfortably at best a squad player. What makes you think he could suddenly step into midfield. I mean if you're original question was 'could he do a job there for the hell of it?' Then yeah sure of course he could, the same way we could have McT as a centre back or Fred as left back :confused: The real question is 'why would you?' It achieves nothing positive for him or Utd.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Him as DM is Phil Jones as DM all over again. Do not want. Let him compete for the CB spot and hopefully his legs arent shaky when he finally gets to play.

Foxbatt

No need to worry. Next year they will probably ban heading and Lindelof will become a great CB.:D

Ekeke

Him as DM is Phil Jones as DM all over again. Do not want. Let him compete for the CB spot and hopefully his legs arent shaky when he finally gets to play.
I actually think it would be quite different.

Jones' main benefit in his midfield run was randomly running the ball up the pitch on a dribble and getting involved in some moments around the goal. His passing was so-so, fine for a CB playing a midfield role. Defensively? He could compete with players but didnt exactly have the positioning of Carrick or the ball winning of Ndidi

I could see Lindelof adapting to be a decent holding midfielder passing the ball, occasionally finding a nice pass into front players like Matic and Fred do. But I'm not convinced he'd hold his position defensively in front of the defence well because he likes to retreat and try to track players as a CB. So I'm not sure he'd do that well confronting players and closing them down so they dont get space, rather he might continue to back off. And if that changed and he's less reluctant to engage in DM, why wouldnt it change at CB?

So yeah. I think Jones was fine defensively in midfield but not brilliant, surprisingly had some good moments going forward and joining play

While I expect Lindelof would be a bit weak defensively, but comfortable on the ball and playing a decent passing game

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s quite easy to see how his performance was rated here, by looking at the Cafe ratings given at every game. Last season he got an average of 5.9/10 and that’s how he was rated. Same ratings as Maguire and AWB who also got 5.9. Then we all know that when a player gets injured he becomes world champion and when someone has a few poor matches he becomes rubbish. Memory is short. But 5.9 was his average rating on his performance over a whole season.
When people like you give him high rating on consistent basis because you thought he was that good even though he wasn’t then it doesn’t matter what his average rating is on the cafe. If you give him lower, would his rating be lower than 5.9? Yes.

Halftrack

When people like you give him high rating on consistent basis because you thought he was that good even though he wasn’t then it doesn’t matter what his average rating is on the cafe. If you give him lower, would his rating be lower than 5.9? Yes.
You think the number of members rating players are counted in the 10s? I'm assuming that we're talking at least several hundreds, and regardless of whether A-man gave him 1s after every game or 10s after every game, he'd still have a 5.9 rating.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You think the number of members rating players are counted in the 10s? I'm assuming that we're talking at least several hundreds, and regardless of whether A-man gave him 1s after every game or 10s after every game, he'd still have a 5.9 rating.
Do you think there are only 10s people in here who rate Lindelof? Do you think every people have the same standard of rating? Some people could use 7 as their highest while rarely use 10 but some people do the opposite.

Halftrack

Do you think there are only 10s people in here who rate Lindelof? Do you think every people have the same standard of rating? Some people could use 7 as their highest while rarely use 10 but some people do the opposite.
As I said, the Caf ratings aren't scientific, they just give you an idea of how the average Caf poster rates the players relative to one another. Based on that, the average Caf poster seems to think Lindelöf is pretty decent. Pretty much every player will have people who rate them "too high" and others who rate them "too low." The people who use a 7 where others ues a 10, or a 2 where others use a 5, will do that for all players, and this will bear out in the average. Or do you think these things are unique to Lindelöf?

criticalanalysis

How many of you guys actually rate players? It would be interesting to see everyone's rating too. Is that even available?

Personally I have never participated in the line up prediction or rated a player in my whole time here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As I said, the Caf ratings aren't scientific, they just give you an idea of how the average Caf poster rates the players relative to one another. Based on that, the average Caf poster seems to think Lindelöf is pretty decent. Pretty much every player will have people who rate them "too high" and others who rate them "too low." The people who use a 7 where others ues a 10, or a 2 where others use a 5, will do that for all players, and this will bear out in the average. Or do you think these things are unique to Lindelöf?
More like decent because he’s being protected by Maguire until people realised how shit he is when playing next to Bailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.