Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridge chutney

Great performance and reminds us that he is much better than perceived. Last year he suffered playing alongside Maguire.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If that was Maguire performing like that out there, you just know the media will go on and on about it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It should be Martine, Varane, Lindelof plus a young physical mobile CB (as Lindelof as good as he was yesteday usually offers no physicality) next season.

Mr Smith

He's always been good in games like this against technical opposition. He struggles more in games that are about the physical battle and getting outmuscled and outfought by attackers, but he's always been a highly intelligent defender. Calls to sell him have been extremely premature.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's always been good in games like this against technical opposition. He struggles more in games that are about the physical battle and getting outmuscled and outfought by attackers, but he's always been a highly intelligent defender. Calls to sell him have been extremely premature.
True. I still think he’s too negative a defender but as a backup he’s quite good. Excellent yesterday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Agreed mate. I really like him and he's very dependable, should be kept for sure. And get him on pens :drool:
I’d still sell him and sign a LCB like Ndicka
And replace Maguire with Min Jae

nainaisson

Lindelof is God's gift to defending. Yes, he's capable of getting outjumped by dwarfs and bullied by small children, but that doesn't matter now. What matters is the last 24 hours. And in that 24 hours, he hasn't put a foot wrong.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He's always been marginally better than Maguire. It's not really a compliment though... :lol:

Cracking penalty. Top bins.
Silenced a few cafe posters who were calling for him to be sold. Hes a good footballer and a decent defender. A keeper for me.
Me too. I always thought him not physically tough enough, and too reactive, but now I would keep him. AWB too, they've both improved immeasurably under Ten Hag.

Real Name

Lindelof is God's gift to defending. Yes, he's capable of getting outjumped by dwarfs and bullied by small children, but that doesn't matter now. What matters is the last 24 hours. And in that 24 hours, he hasn't put a foot wrong.
That's funny. I laughed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Which is an ironic thing to get hung up on as most of the shit he has got this season has been based on just 90 minutes against Sevilla. Every other time he’s been called upon this season he’s been good to excellent.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Victor 'The Iceman' Lindelof :cool:

Undoubtedly an improvement on Maguire. Not that that would be difficult. Hopefully ETH persists with him and Shaw until Varane is back.

Good squad player and wouldn't be getting rid of

norm87cro

His best game in our shirt.
I completley agree. As his worst critic credit is were credits due. We rode our luck a lot of times especially with the horrid first touch of their sub CF or something (which is his domain) but it is still painful to see how outmuscled he can be for his position. When he got outmuscled yesterday at least he showed some grit and determination (something I havent seen from him ever) and pulled his player and got a yellow. Too little too late IMO but Im afraid ETH sees him as a squad option so his fanboys can be happy.
The penalties should not have went that far so fair play to him for that too

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would keep him, we will not have the money to buy two CB's and money is needed elsewhere. Get rid of Maguire and Bailly. Get one more in but be on the lookout for a good prospect, even in the lower leagues who we think can be coached into a top CB.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I’d echo the calls for keeping him. It’s no coincidence he looks much better when Maguire isn’t on the pitch. I think that’d be even more obvious if we get an upgrade on de Gea too.

A-man

Has been putting in some good performances in his last 5-6 starts. Will be interesting to see if he stays for another season or leaves for first team football. If he feels he is the preferred third choice for ETH and has a fair chance I believe he will stay. But in the past ETH has benched him after good performances (like Leicester) and also seemed to prefer Maguire over him. As third CB he will probably play a lot of football considering our injury records for the other CBs. Even this season he might finish with more minutes than Varane.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Said it many times before, but he's a very good and reliable CB for us. Not as good as Varane or Martinez, but that's hardly damning as they're two of the best in the league. The trouble is, he's always associated with Maguire and the shitshow that often follows. A bit like how McTomiay and Fred are basically seen as the same person, the same is true for these two.

But the truth is, Lindelof is a much better CB than Maguire and always has been.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Has been putting in some good performances in his last 5-6 starts. Will be interesting to see if he stays for another season or leaves for first team football. If he feels he is the preferred third choice for ETH and has a fair chance I believe he will stay. But in the past ETH has benched him after good performances (like Leicester) and also seemed to prefer Maguire over him. As third CB he will probably play a lot of football considering our injury records for the other CBs. Even this season he might finish with more minutes than Varane.
I reckon he'll go if we're planning to keep Harold but will (hopefully) stay if (hopefully) we're looking at moving on from the Maguire calamity, which I expect us to because that man being a walking joke is no joke.

So I reckon he'll stay (hopefully).

Terry Graham

Supports
the Cottagers
There should be an online petition for him to shave off his hair to once more embrace the 'Iceman'-persona.

Lovely game from Victor. Cool, calm and confident.

I reckon he'll go if we're planning to keep Harold but will (hopefully) stay if (hopefully) we're looking at moving on from the Maguire calamity, which I expect us to because that man being a walking joke is no joke.

So I reckon he'll stay (hopefully).
Maguire will leave this summer as he wants to play for England in the 2024 Euros, Spurs/Villa/West Ham, he will end up somewhere like that. You cannot be an England regular when you cannot get a start for your club.
Lindelof can be a good back up to Varane, we just need cover for Martinez. Unfortunately Lindelof may not like being 3rd/4th choice and may move to Italy instead.

cpresc

I think he's had a bad run being lumbered for Harry for a few seasons and it was nice to see him have a good game without Maguire's nonsense dragging him down.

Absolutely stunning penalty under a huge amount of pressure - excellent courage and technique. Hats off for that.

However, he is still a defender who is lacking key traits, specifically heading, he seems to lose so many headers that he should be winning.

I'd keep him next season for 4th choice cover - bring Kim M for 3rd - but not sure if he'll want that and we would probably recoup our money for him.

Good game yesterday but I'm pretty indifferent about him tbh.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Said it many times before, but he's a very good and reliable CB for us. Not as good as Varane or Martinez, but that's hardly damning as they're two of the best in the league. The trouble is, he's always associated with Maguire and the shitshow that often follows. A bit like how McTomiay and Fred are basically seen as the same person, the same is true for these two.

But the truth is, Lindelof is a much better CB than Maguire and always has been.
Maguire's top level is higher than Lindelof's. However Lindelof is more consistent and has less truly shit games. Which is quite an issue as Lindelof is hardly that consistent himself. Their first season together was probably the perfect example, where over the course of the entire season they were pretty much exactly the same level, with Lindelof constantly being a 5-7 out of 10, while Maguire bounced around like a damn yo-yo from 3-9.

I've always said I'm happy with Lindelof as our back-up. Or at least happy enough that signing a new backup is a lower priority than quite a few areas in the squad. But I think people are going a little overboard after yesterday and making out that Lindelof's only problem is being partnered with Maguire. He has his own problems regardless of his partner.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's like Fred in that he gets unfairly lumped in with the other player in their past partnership as "both are shit" when in fact Fred and Lindelof are both very good players, bit inconsistent at times but far more suited to a big club like United than either Maguire or McTominay who belong at mid table clubs. Lindelof and Fred are both just very good squad players.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Which is an ironic thing to get hung up on as most of the shit he has got this season has been based on just 90 minutes against Sevilla. Every other time he’s been called upon this season he’s been good to excellent.
I didn't even think he was bad v Sevilla. When he was receiving passes from either DDG or the full back he was able to step forward with the ball or pick a pass into midfield or to the flank. Don't think any of the goals can be attributed to him, so I think he has been solid whenever called upon. He'd certainly be third choice for my money.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I am not sure that is true. Not in a team that wants to play out from the back at least.
Maguire's second half of 20/21 was better than Lindelof has ever performed. Maguire also had numerous games at a similar level in his first season, albeit then they were mixed up with a lot of poor games as well.

I guess we haven't really seen it for the last two seasons, but I do think he's still got it in him and it's just that he's struggling with confidence and how everything has gone in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.