Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying_Heckfish

TO everyone losing your shit over this -

- Valdes is a player LvG knows (and brought through to an extent)
- Lindegaard wants to go play first team footy
- Valdes has just recovered from serious injury
- Is available for free
- Wages may be paid mostly by Monaco
- Valdes probably happy to be #2 for now while he recovers

It suits everyone. We get a decent #2, Valdes gets to continue his recovery and perhaps play a few games and Anders gets his move away.

Valdes is more likely to leave when he has recovered in order to play as a #1 again, the 18 month contract will give him security if it doesn't work out (who can blame him after the Monaco fiasco).

That's how I see it.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Whilst the obvious first thought is, "Oh no!! De Gea might actually leave" when you think about it, De Gea has been the only player to start every game for us this season. He clearly wouldn't if LVG didn't like something about him.

Now, having said that, if we see Valdes creeping into the starting 11 every so often, then we should panic :D

I think at this point if Valdes has anything to do with David leaving, it will not be as a cause, but his signing being a reaction to David letting the club know he wants to leave this summer.

It could also be a bit of a ploy, give us a good back up, but let David and his agent know there are other options out there for us.

I had said last summer I thought De Gea might leave after this season, no real specific reason for it, just a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Considering what we have in goal, yes.

Are either of Mignolet or Jones world class? No.
Is Cech an average goalkeeper who is much much worse than Courtois? No.
Neither of those examples work. We (the club, not the supporters) knew Suarez was leaving all of last season apparently. It would be the equivalent of us deciding to play Aspas up front because we knew Suarez was leaving at the end of the season.
Jesus Christ....
How many times have we and other clubs played our number 2 keeper in the League cup and early rounds of the FA cup?! Plenty!!!
My point was that De Gea has even started those games and no other keeper has even gotten a look in, including the MK Dons match, where we all expected one of our back up keepers to play!

It isn't that difficult to understand.

Redo91

- Is available for free

It suits everyone. We get a decent #2, Valdes gets to continue his recovery and perhaps play a few games and Anders gets his move away.

Valdes is more likely to leave when he has recovered in order to play as a #1 again, the 18 month contract will give him security if it doesn't work out (who can blame him after the Monaco fiasco).

That's how I see it.
This.

::sonny::

Valdes will cost less than Lindegaard because Monaco will pay his wage.

Jev

- Is available for free

That's how I see it.
It's an 18-month contract for a player turning 33 in a week.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
As soon as I heard this I thought De Gea is gone,
Valdes is too good to be a backup, no chance hes signed here to be a backup longterm, no chance.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
This signing can only be good for De Gea... he has never had a decent and experienced keeper to look up to in terms of advice. For sure Victor Valdes will have very good and insightful advices and tips to share.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he plays, whether this season or next, get used to the aerial bombardment that DDG had to put up with in the early years.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As soon as I heard this I thought De Gea is gone,
Valdes is too good to be a backup, no chance hes signed here to be a backup longterm, no chance.
Valdes hasn't played properly in 12-18 months, so we've no idea how good a player he still is at all. There's every chance that at 33 he might not be that good at all.

Put it another way, if we didn't have DDG and were signing Valdes right now to be our first choice keeper on an 18 month contract, I'd imagine the general reaction on here would be a big "what the flying feck?", as it'd be a huge risk. I see nothing wrong with assuming he's not our replacement for Big Dave.

Count Orduck

Don't we have a policy of only offering one year contracts to players over 30? Or 32, or something. That could be why it's so short, not because we intend to move him on any time soon.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
No even during his last couple of seasons at barca he was making many mistakes and was still slated. He doesn't suit the English game at all.

If he does play I guarantee within a few matches all United fans hearts will skip a beat when we have him in goal.
He maybe doesn't suit the English game, that's something he has to prove. Nonsense to suggest he was error prone in recent years though, he was as matching everyone in the world before his injury.

Ekeke

Valdes at his best was exceptional at one vs ones, a lot like Neuer not too many strikers seemed in control of the situation. He's nowhere near as good a shotstopper as De Gea (nobody is as good) and I'd say they're about the same on crosses. And thats Valdes at his best, who knows how he is now?

He certainly wouldnt be among the best 5 replacements for De Gea if that was the case, so hopefully it isnt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He certainly wouldnt be among the best 5 replacements for De Gea if that was the case, so hopefully it isnt.
You don't know that and he trained with us for 3 months now. So we know exactly, how good or bad he is.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't see why De Gea would want to leave after us developing a little Spaniard city; it's also been reported that Valdes is getting a house in the same area as De Gea, Mata and Herrera.

Smores

In the past I always got the impression most on here thought he was quite a poor keeper. I've certainly always thought that so perhaps it was just me

I don't really care about our backup keepers, they're almost an irrelevance. As long as he isn't being lined up to take over.

bishblaize

Valdes at his best was exceptional at one vs ones, a lot like Neuer not too many strikers seemed in control of the situation. He's nowhere near as good a shotstopper as De Gea (nobody is as good) and I'd say they're about the same on crosses. And thats Valdes at his best, who knows how he is now?

There's two other things I like about Valdes. One is that he has exceptional concentration, which you need at big clubs. Its very hard to go 70 minutes where you only see the ball in the distance and then come up with an outstanding save from nowhere.

The other is that he's very good with the ball at his feet and his distribution through both kicking and throwing is excellent. Indeed I'd say this is the one area where he's better even than Dave.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Valdes is a quality keeper, it's hardly in question by those who've watched Barca over the last few years in particular,
Personally would have preffered the Spuds keeper if/when the situation becomes obvious that DDG is going back home, but on a free you can't complain too much.

ottosec

There's two other things I like about Valdes. One is that he has exceptional concentration, which you need at big clubs. Its very hard to go 70 minutes where you only see the ball in the distance and then come up with an outstanding save from nowhere.

The other is that he's very good with the ball at his feet and his distribution through both kicking and throwing is excellent. Indeed I'd say this is the one area where he's better even than Dave.
Is it? Almost all of his distribution was to the first man at Barca, because that how they played. I'm yet to see him play in a team where he is instructed to hoof it forward, like DDG is. The same applies to Neuer, people say he has good distribution and back it up by the numbers, but that is mainly because he passes to the defender every time.

If, by some reason we would lose DDG(*knock wood), we should look at somebody else to replace him. I don't think Valdes is the top Goalkeeper like most here seem to think.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Is it? Almost all of his distribution was to the first man at Barca, because that how they played. I'm yet to see him play in a team where he is instructed to hoof it forward, like DDG is. The same applies to Neuer, people say he has good distribution and back it up by the numbers, but that is mainly because he passes to the defender every time.

If, by some reason we would lose DDG(*knock wood), we should look at somebody else to replace him. I don't think Valdes is the top Goalkeeper like most here seem to think.
His distribution at Barcelona was phenomenal. I can't think of any keeper with better passing than him (from the leagues I watch - England, Spain and a bit of Bayern). His long range passing was exceptional too, he didn't just pass it out to the defence.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not happy especially as DDG hasn't signed yet. Plus I don't rate him that highly but we'll see. He was always a back up in the Spanish set up and still never a trouble maker, hope it's same here.
And it has been asked a lot here but why/how are Monaco playing part of his wages? Is that confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.