Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Another player mis handled by LvG.
If there's any truth to what's been said on these pages about Valdes' behaviour (undermining coaches, refusing to play, etc.) then I think LVG has handled him perfectly.

Norris

How is he still here ? I thought Clubs would jump at the chance to sign him. He would be an upgrade to Mignolet at Liverpool for sure.

prath92

How is he still here ? I thought Clubs would jump at the chance to sign him. He would be an upgrade to Mignolet at Liverpool for sure.
1. I don't think we would allow him to leave to other PL clubs without a transfer fee of at least £5m and he would demand 100k+ salary which not a lot of clubs can afford on a GK

2. Maybe they got wind of his behaviour through the grapevine

Norris

1. I don't think we would allow him to leave to other PL clubs without a transfer fee of at least £5m and he would demand 100k+ salary which not a lot of clubs can afford on a GK

2. Maybe they got wind of his behaviour through the grapevine
But it's only van gaal that has complained of his attitude is it not ? And van Gaal always clashed with some players wherever he goes. I don't think we would ask for a big transfer fee anyways, but the salary point I get. But he was being linked to all sorts of mexican clubs earlier on. If they can afford him, how can't the big boys ?

prath92

But it's only van gaal that has complained of his attitude is it not ? And van Gaal always clashed with some players wherever he goes. I don't think we would ask for a big transfer fee anyways, but the salary point I get. But he was being linked to all sorts of mexican clubs earlier on. If they can afford him, how can't the big boys ?
It seems he was having bad attitude towards everyone. There's a post in the previous page about it.

And Mexicans and other such leagues need a marquee player to market their club. Not so much in EPL

settembrini

How is he still here ? I thought Clubs would jump at the chance to sign him.
Because he's about to turn 34, has hardly played in the last two years, has been nothing but a headache for his current club, will demand big wages, and has never been a highly regarded keeper to begin with.

Norris

Because he's about to turn 34, has hardly played in the last two years, has been nothing but a headache for his current club, will demand big wages, and has never been a highly regarded keeper to begin with.
The wages I get, but it's not like teams can't afford that. He's better than most of the tripe in the big leagues.

Miscemayl

I assume he's still here because no one actually wants him.

There's not even a rumour of anyone buying him.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
That's just wrong. Remember all the Casillas love in during the early, mid and late 2000s? Valdes, for me, reached a higher peak during Guardiola's years than Casillas ever did and Casillas was most certainly WC for a while. Valdes did start getting due recognition after their CL triumphs over us and he arguably had his best seasons around that time.

settembrini

That's just wrong. Remember all the Casillas love in during the early, mid and late 2000s? Valdes, for me, reached a higher peak during Guardiola's years than Casillas ever did and Casillas was most certainly WC for a while. Valdes did start getting due recognition after their CL triumphs over us and he arguably had his best seasons around that time.
Casillas was absolutely miles ahead of Valdes for me. The former was one of the best in the world at his peak while Valdes was an average keeper who happened to be at Barcelona when their outfield was making everyone else look like scrubs. They would have won those CLs with virtually anyone in goal and they effectively proved as much the year after he left when they played Bravo in the league and ter Stegen in the cups (neither great keepers) and still won the treble. Meanwhile Valdes, coming off his 'best seasons' and available on a free could only secure a move to the French league and last summer wasn't even wanted in Turkey.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Casillas was absolutely miles ahead of Valdes for me. The former was one of the best in the world at his peak while Valdes was an average keeper who happened to be at Barcelona when their outfield was making everyone else look like scrubs. They would have won those CLs with virtually anyone in goal and they effectively proved as much the year after he left when they played Bravo in the league and ter Stegen in the cups (neither great keepers) and still won the treble. Meanwhile Valdes, coming off his 'best seasons' and available on a free could only secure a move to the French league and last summer wasn't even wanted in Turkey.
The 'he could only secure a move to the French league after his best season' thing is blatantly not true.

He chose to go there himself, not because he was poor , but because of the cash. Its the injury that fecked him over.

prath92

For me Valdes was always a tier below Casillas. Valdes was a good keeper but never top class. However he was the best keeper for Barca as he had the qualities they needed for their tiki taka style of play.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Off on loan to Standard de Liège untill the end of the season according to several Belgian media :eek: Probably the biggest incoming transfer in Belgian football ever (if true).

Last edited:

Bwuk

Off on loan to Standard de Liège untill the end of the season according to several Belgian media :eek: Probably the biggest incoming transfer in Belgian football ever (if true).
Hope for Valdes sake it is true.

It does neither him nor us any good him sitting here doing nothing. It's not like we will ever play him again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wonder if his squeaky clean media/fan persona is a way of getting back at Van Gaal? Ever since their falling out he's posted numerous things about how great the club is, how hard he's working etc. Fan service, or genuine? Hard to say, maybe even both. But it would explain why so many fans are confused with the issue and are blaming Van Gaal. If Valdes has used twitter to encourage that then he's one sneaky bugger.

Still, i can't help but wish him luck in Belgium, so it's working. You crafty thing, you.

Super Nani

It really must have been a huge row between him and van Gaal for him to have been completely isolated out like he was. An embarrassing situation for the club but Valdes must have done something quite significant to anger Louis so much. Him joining us has ended up to be a big waste of time for all involved, shame really as he would have been decent to have around as back up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be honest, without knowing the ins and outs of this whole thing completely... i'll just view both LVG and Valdes as being obnoxious cnuts for not being able to remedy the situation between them.

Good luck to him all the same though.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Class from him, his anger at Barcelona's board prevented even something remotely similar when he left. Looking forward to seeing him back in goal

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
i guess its more "if De gea leaves, bring in valdes"
De Gea is going nowhere, Casillas will call every goalkeeper that Madrid targets and dissuade them from signing.

Superpolfcb

Utd really shouldn't let him join Standard Liege after their part in the Zeki Fryers transfer a few years ago.

Superpolfcb

No one cares about Fryers, though.
Not about him as a player, but that cost Utd a few millions.
I'm sure there are more teams willing to take Valdes on loan and Standard won't be paying much of his wages anyway.

I just don't think we should be doing a favour to a team that helped us losing money.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
More likely that his wages have been a huge stumbling block in shifting him.

If we're going to have to cover his wages one way or another we're better off having the option to call on him in an emergency than just pay him off and gift him to another club.

NinjaFletch

More likely that his wages have been a huge stumbling block in shifting him.

If we're going to have to cover his wages one way or another we're better off having the option to call on him in an emergency than just pay him off and gift him to another club.
I've not seen anything whatsoever to suggest we're paying him anything more than an absolute pittance (in footballing terms).

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It really must have been a huge row between him and van Gaal for him to have been completely isolated out like he was. An embarrassing situation for the club but Valdes must have done something quite significant to anger Louis so much. Him joining us has ended up to be a big waste of time for all involved, shame really as he would have been decent to have around as back up.
I wouldnt be so sure. Look at how arsey LvG got with the press for asking perfectly justified questions about Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.