Vidic

Divine

Is he just making Rio look even better than he really is...because Evans is even looking up there with the best in the league.
I think Vidic should get a lot of credit just not for his own play, but the way he commands the defence and make those around him look good too. Obviously a good leader as well as player.

Evans looks tasty as hell, but it tells a lot about Vidic (and Rio for that matter) that Evans is able to fit in so effortlessly and play with such composure in big games such as this.

The defence has kept us in it so far, more or less.

reddevilcanada

been our best player this season for me followed by Evra and he's scored 5 goals this season already including some big ones! He's definitely captain material as well. I just hope we cope without him against Inter.

the best Central Defender in the world this season :cool:

vuc

First Team Serb
Is he just making Rio look even better than he really is...because Evans is even looking up there with the best in the league.

Vidic without doubt the most inform CB in Europe.
I believe he does. Rio is class no doubt but pre Vidic the Utd defense was just no way near as good. Now with Rio out Vidic has basically commanded the defence on his own and look how many clean sheets are being kept. Sure you can't put it down to just one man as its a collective effort but without Vidic in that defence I am sure it would leak goals.

vuc

First Team Serb
I think Vidic should get a lot of credit just not for his own play, but the way he commands the defence and make those around him look good too. Obviously a good leader as well as player.

Evans looks tasty as hell, but it tells a lot about Vidic (and Rio for that matter) that Evans is able to fit in so effortlessly and play with such composure in big games such as this.

The defence has kept us in it so far, more or less.
Spot on. I'm glad people have noticed his leadership skills. He captained Red Star at 21 which is a massive burden for such a young player. He is future captain material for sure.

vuc

First Team Serb
My cousin made a point that Drogba was afraid of Vidic in this match. In that he never went in for a physical challenge with Vidic. I have to agree because Drogba is known for his physical play but there was none of that today. Could be that he was totally shite but against Evans he was trying to batter him around so maybe there is something there.

kanchelskis14

If we manage to retain the premiership, he should undoubtably be named our player of the season. Reckon even our critics would grudgingly admit we have the two best defenders in world football.

Immense!
Why should he only be named our player of the season if we manage to win the league?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
My cousin made a point that Drogba was afraid of Vidic in this match. In that he never went in for a physical challenge with Vidic. I have to agree because Drogba is known for his physical play but there was none of that today. Could be that he was totally shite but against Evans he was trying to batter him around so maybe there is something there.
Not really sure about that, don't get me wrong I thought Vidic was immense again, but I thought Evans held up equally well to his physicality and as the game went on he just disappeared out of the game.

Was an awful game by him today, some of his touches and shots were woeful.

vuc

First Team Serb
Not really sure about that, don't get me wrong I thought Vidic was immense again, but I thought Evans held up equally well to his physicality and as the game went on he just disappeared out of the game.

Was an awful game by him today, some of his touches and shots were woeful.
Don't get me wrong either. I think Evans handled him fine but I noticed more aggression from Drogba in the challenges towards Evans rather than Vidic.

Yeh at the best of times his touch is average, and that mis-cued volley was priceless.

Alex

Don't get me wrong either. I think Evans handled him fine but I noticed more aggression from Drogba in the challenges towards Evans rather than Vidic.

Yeh at the best of times his touch is average, and that mis-cued volley was priceless.
It's better than that he is no Berbatov, but it isn't average at best, especially when he is on form

Ekeke

Yeah, at times Drogba is capable of a very good first touch or piece of technique. The goal he scored the other week after coming on as a sub for example.

kanchelskis14

I've been ridiculed on here for stating that i wasn't buying the Drogba hype before. I still stand by that. Technically ordinary, and his finishing is nothing special either. Not clinical.

Ekeke

I've been ridiculed on here for stating that i wasn't buying the Drogba hype before. I still stand by that. Technically ordinary, and his finishing is nothing special either. Not clinical.
He's clearly not in form, not long back from injury. A few years ago he was a beast, the best striker in the league.

vuc

First Team Serb
if people are saying that Cole has Ronaldo in his pocket then people need to acknowledge that Vidic has Drogba in his. Drogba got so frustrated with Vidic in Moscow that he got himself sent off. today just showed that again
How many times have they played each other now? 4/5 times? Vidic has dominated him in every single encounter.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Certainly not his best of matches, seems to have lost his pace by a yard or two these days.

He wasnt focused either.

The_Red_Hope

He was a monster today !!! He's got to be one of the best headers of the ball in world football ....both defensively as well as offensively. And he's just so incredibly likeable with that goofy smile of his ... Long live our Metallic Rapist !!

vuc

First Team Serb
He was a monster today !!! He's got to be one of the best headers of the ball in world football ....both defensively as well as offensively. And he's just so incredibly likeable with that goofy smile of his ... Long live our Metallic Rapist !!
I'm pretty sure there is no one better in the air then he is. He rarely ever loses a headed battle and that is against anyone, Drogba, Heskey, Carew etc. etc.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The instant I heard Rio was out I was hoping they would start with Drogba rather than Anelka. Drogba has always been dominated by Vidic, but is the type of striker who can sometimes trouble Rio. Likewise, Anelka is they type of striker that Rio would dominate, but can sometimes trouble Vidic (although just about no-one has troubled him this season).

It's why the two of them are so good together. They both have a slight weakness against a certain type of striker, but that weakness is the other's strength.

Cold_Boy

Our best player this season.

Best defender in the world currently.

As Good as Rio if not better.

Brwned

Pace, power, aerial ability, good control and a fairly handy dribbler, brings others into play magnificently and as an overall package he's very difficult to defend against.

His finishing's always been hit and miss, he's an instinctive player and plays off that, but there's no doubt he was the best striker in the world in 06/07.

Merman

That is rubbbish. On form, he is better than the likes of Torres and Villa and one of the best strikers in the world. My kind of striker, imagine Rooney and drogba as a strike partnership:drool:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't know if "best defender in the world " is accurate to say (since there is Chiellini who has been sublime during the whole year) but surely "best defender in the league"

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
One of the best strikers in the world, on form.

You get ridiculed because you're a bit of a muppet.

Brwned

I don't know if "best defender in the world " is accurate to say (since there is Chiellini who has been sublime during the whole year) but surely "best defender in the league"
Really?

I watched Chiellini against Bate and he looked a bit edgy, wasn't impressed with him considering how much he was being talked up in the media.

kouroux

It's all about consistency Brwned, I'm sure Vidic had some matches where he wasn't at his best. To be honest I don't really care who is the best. I'm just happy with Vidic's form

vuc

First Team Serb
It's all about consistency Brwned, I'm sure Vidic had some matches where he wasn't at his best. To be honest I don't really care who is the best. I'm just happy with Vidic's form
You say its about consistency, but Vidic has been consistent the whole season. That's one of his biggest assets he rarely has a bad game - can you think of the last poor game he had?

kouroux

You say its about consistency, but Vidic has been consistent the whole season. That's one of his biggest assets he rarely has a bad game - can you think of the last poor game he had?
Did I criticize him :confused: ? My point is that no matter the few matches a player isn't so good,the most important thing is the overall consistency and moreover I was talking about Chiellini.

Eurotrash

He is not as good as Rio at playing up the ball. In all other aspects, he is at least on par. An intelligent and strong player.

vuc

First Team Serb
Did I criticize him :confused: ? My point is that no matter the few matches a player isn't so good,the most important thing is the overall consistency and moreover I was talking about Chiellini.
I'm not saying you criticized him, i'm just raising the point that his consistency is one of his biggest assets.

VP

Vidic has been immense.

Is he definitely suspended for the Inter game? He's going to eat Zlatan for breakfast the form he is in.

December_16

I love Vidic to bits, but....

It's amazing how people can turn around quite quickly and say 'Vidic's as good as Rio, if not better' with such conviction. Rio hasnt been on form this season, presumably parts of it due to the injury, whereas Vidic has been playing like a world beater. It still doesnt take away the fact that Rio has been more instrumental to our successes in the last two season than anyone, bar Ronaldo. Vidic may appear to be stronger and more aggressive, but Rio's footballing brain and his game-reading ability is second to none for a defender. Not to mention his pace and leadership. I'd say if on top form, Rio shades Vidic by quite a margin.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'd also think that despite Vidic's great form, Rio's still the better defender/player of the two. And together, they're just the perfect team. Cant see a team with a better partnership in Europe. Add Evra, Brown and Neville to that, put VDS in goal and you have probably the best back four in Europe as well

kouroux

The most important thing is that together they form the best CB duo there is today. One good thing to see is that Vidic is able to play on both side of the CB position.

vuc

First Team Serb

It's amazing how people can turn around quite quickly and say 'Vidic's as good as Rio, if not better' with such conviction. Rio hasnt been on form this season, presumably parts of it due to the injury, whereas Vidic has been playing like a world beater. It still doesnt take away the fact that Rio has been more instrumental to our successes in the last two season than anyone, bar Ronaldo. Vidic may appear to be stronger and more aggressive, but Rio's footballing brain and his game-reading ability is second to none for a defender. Not to mention his pace and leadership. I'd say if on top form, Rio shades Vidic by quite a margin.
Since Vidic arrived, United’s obduracy has increased. They have conceded 51 times in his 85 league appearances — one goal per 150 minutes of football. In 10 seasons pre-Vidic, opponents scored against United once every 95 minutes.
That would suggest otherwise.

Surely Vidic has proved his ability to read games and his own footballing brain by now.

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
To think I doubted this man in his first few games for us.

He's the perfect defender for me. Good in the air, can tackle, excellent positioning, physically and mentally strong, has enough pace and will score you a few goals througout the season.

and his committment and "heart" for the team is THAT unbelievable!! You just need to think the opposite scenario if we see the scources or the chelski to hv a defender like him & how we will feel.. & that can increase his status in any fan's heart!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

No matter which way your opinion is tilted, none is better than the other by 'quite a margin'. While rio is quicker and better on the ball, vidic is physically a beast, much more agile and a hell of a lot better in the air. He's also a bigger physical threat going forward. So when we look at attributes it's pretty even. Personall I think vidic is the better tackler too. And whose to say he isn't tv better leader. He's captained teams before and seems pretty captain material.