Vidic

VoetbalWizard

Not a breakaway though, Agbonlahor stopped and Vidic was between him and the goal, I think the call was fantastic by the ref.
i don't think that matters though, does it? letter of the law is if you are last defender, you are off. either it was no foul, or pk and red. not inbetween. that is the issue with refereeing and rules in football. too much ambiguity.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Should be off the pitch in all honesty. Pace is such a weakness for him now, its like his mask of invincibiilty has been torn off him.

Name Changed

weso26
Not a breakaway though, Agbonlahor stopped and Vidic was between him and the goal, I think the call was fantastic by the ref.
Agbonlahor was about to shoot. Vidic was last man. Vidic fouled and caused Agbonlahor the chance to score. Stone wall penalty and stone wall red card. It can't be any more redder than that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the only thing that saved him from being sent off was

a> it was already a peno
b> G.A was going away from goal, not direct at goal, and Evra was not too far away

Amir

i don't think that matters though, does it? letter of the law is if you are last defender, you are off. either it was no foul, or pk and red. not inbetween. that is the issue with refereeing and rules in football. too much ambiguity.
Last defender is a simplistic term, but it has little to do with the laws of the game. It's about preventing a scoring chance and I'd say Vidic's position may have saved him there. If it was a case desperately challenging a player already past you, he'd be off. In a case like this, however, the defender has the right to challenge for the ball. He challenged a player in the box trying to get past him and committed a foul.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Its about managing the situation so you're not exposed to their pace. He gets himself into bad situations alot these days, uncertain with his judgement.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think the only thing that saved him from being sent off was

a> it was already a peno
b> G.A was going away from goal, not direct at goal, and Evra was not too far away
I think the thing that saved him was that Dowds a pussy.

He was the last man, pulled his man's shirt before fouling him with a poor tackle which was no where near the ball.

djemba's arse

Actually, I believe the letter of the law is that you have to deliberately stop a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Dowd might have decided that he either a) didn't foul him deliberately (that he slipped), or that b) Agbonlahor no longer had a clear goal scoring opportunity. Since no yellow was given, I'm leaning towards a).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Vidic had already successfully fouled him outside the box, pulling his shirt so that he ruined the angle. Inside the box he completed the foul on a player who'd already lost the goalscoring opportunity. Red? Yellow x 2? No red could be construed as Dowd trying not to ruin the game - maybe he's have given it if it'd been at the end of the match. No card was pure genius. But frankly, who cares (apart from O'Neill the Villa fans and the press of course)

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Vidic had already successfully fouled him outside the box, pulling his shirt so that he ruined the angle. Inside the box he completed the foul on a player who'd already lost the goalscoring opportunity. Red? Yellow x 2? No red could be construed as Dowd trying not to ruin the game. No card was comedy genius. But frankly, who cares (apart from O'Neill the Villa fans and the press of course)
Exactly. Abonglahor had already lost his "goalscoring opportunity" once he was inside the box. As Vidic said in the interview, what saved his ass was that he was not behind the player when he fouled him. I can understand a yellow but it wasn't a red card. In my motherfecking opinion.

gbgary

he's been injured on and off for a year it seems and he's actually become a bit of a liabillity. maybe if he can stay healthy for a while he can get back to the vid we all know and love.

johnmufc

He was very good. Great to have him back. Hopefully he's over his woes in the big games now... We'll see against Milan.
Apparently not. Disappointing. He can't handle strong, pacy strikers. He's no Rio.

kps88

Remember this. A referee has played a major part in helping us win a trophy. These things do tend to even themselves out.

kps88

We'll call this the make up for the penalty that should have been in the FA Cup semi last season.
Aye. Just making the point that we tend to remember the ones that weren't given and completely forget about the ones that went our way. Which is only natural ofcourse.

Sam

He's a lucky boy today. Conceded a penalty, should have been sent off, and nearly scored an own goal.

It was no surprise to see Agbonlahor rip him to shreads to be perfectly honest, he does it every time we play Villa. Vidic is a brilliant defender, but he cant handle pace (even more so when he's just come back from injury).

Maroon Lucifer

We'll call this the make up for the penalty that should have been in the FA Cup semi last season.
We should have had a penalty today as well. Arsenal got an even cheaper one yesterday for the same thing, only less obvious.

As for Vidic, he was lucky that the referee didn't award the freekick when he was tugging Agbonlahor's shirt, because that would definitely been a red. But he didn't think it was a freekick, so Vidic got inside him and slowed his run, sending Agbonlahor away from goal narrowing his angle. Kuszczak would then have no choice but to closed him down, and Evra was already on his way to the goal line. If Dowd has the same fantastic anticipation/psychic ability as me, he has a case for not sending him off. Psychics are as good as gold.

vuc

First Team Serb
Torn whether or not it was a red card or not. I think that had he taken him down from behind it would have been a dead cert red. As others have said he managed to push him wide a bit and then it was just a tackle in the box which was a penalty and no further action. Though the letter of the law says he is the last man and denied a clear goal scoring opportunity hence he should be sent off.

Other then that he was solid, passed it well and made some solid interceptions. Clearly not at full pace yet, but not many defenders are getting near Agbonlahor when he is clear of them and running down on goal.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Saw nothing today we didn’t already know about Vidic, a quality defender who’s totally dominant in the air and physically handles any striker put infront of him but struggles against pacey direct strikers especially when isolated one on one....that’s the reason why id play Brown alongside him while Rio is out, Brown has genuine pace and can cover for Vidic where as Evans really is no quicker than Vidic, we look susceptible to pace at the back.

I thought Vidic was excellent second half especially today, with all those long balls getting hoofed into Heskey and co he dealt with them very well.

vuc

First Team Serb
Even Brown would lose a footrace against Agbonlahor 1on1.

I remember Ferdinand lost a footrace against Bellamy last season too after he gave the ball away on the halfway line. Vidic's mistake was his positioning of the situation, which he usually gets spot on.

vuc

First Team Serb
Colossal against Bolton. His type of game, I don't see why opposition teams pump it long against Vidic they almost never get a result. Try to put the other CB under pressure - then again he just heads towards the ball no matter where it is around the pen. box.

Nasty elbow on Elmander though can't see it being intentional when his eyes were fixed on the ball.

Since he has come back from injury that is 5 clean sheets out of 6 in all competitions. Long may it last.

vuc

First Team Serb
Praise for vintage Vidic

Sir Alex Ferguson said he would have been “amazed” had the FA taken retrospective action against Nemanja Vidic for a challenge on Johan Elmander during the Reds’ 4-0 win over Bolton Wanderers.

Opposition manager Owen Coyle claimed his striker required four stitches in his head after the Serbian defender caught him with his forearm. The Bolton boss branded the contact "terrible", but Sir Alex says it was merely a good old-fashioned centre-back’s challenge. The FA confirmed on Monday they would not review the incident.

“Vidic came in at half-time with a lump on his head the size of an egg, a swollen jaw and a black eye,” Sir Alex told press in Munich. "What's that story about living in glass houses?

“I would have been totally amazed if Vidic had been charged… it was a clear eye-on-the-ball header from a centre-back. There was no intent whatsoever and no eye towards the opponent. I don’t even know if he knew who was beside him or where he was.

"His sole intention was to attack that ball and head it clear, and he did that.”

Sir Alex went on to lavish praise upon Vidic, labelling his performance at the Reebok Stadium "the best I've seen from a centre-back in years".

"I didn’t see all the other games but I didn’t have to," he said. "The return to our Vidic and Ferdinand partnership means the back four is solid again. Edwin van der Sar’s return has helped, too.

"There was a time earlier in the season when all those players were injured and we were very fragile. You can see the solidity now, you can see the experience of these players… it’s making a massive difference to the performance of the team."

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&redirectorid=news_story&newsid=6647703
Didn't SAF say this about his performance vs Wigan last year? :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Vidic was fecking superb against Bolton.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I'll see if I can find it when I have time. I did read it and it was along the lines that he had never said that he was leaving, he had not spoken to any other clubs at all and that he would be playing for United at least until the end of his current contract which runs to 2012. He sounded annoyed at all the rumours too.

I'm sure I posted it somewhere, I usually do post things when I see them. It was a good interview.