Vidic

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I remember the other day before the Bayern match, the commentators were saying that Vidic put an end to the transfer speculation. They never said what he said though. Does anybody know?
He said something along the lines of seeing out his contract. I think it has another two years remaining. The problem United have with that comment is he could run down his contract and would be able to negotiate with other clubs in a year and go for free.

Donkey's Ears

Honestly, I would think about selling if a good offer comes. No point keeping players who don't want to stay. Particularly if we feel we are in a relatively transitional period anyway.

HsJ

Honestly, I would think about selling if a good offer comes. No point keeping players who don't want to stay. Particularly if we feel we are in a relatively transitional period anyway.
No idea where you have got this from. Try listening to the lad for once instead of jumping on a media bandwagon.

He stressed in the interview that he was staying and had no intention of leaving.
This is more like it.

Vidic is a class player. Well on the way to being another in a long list of great defenders for this club. We would do well to remember how long it took us to find a player like him, and what our defence was like pre Vidic, and even Pre Rio.

We're incredibly lucky we have had the class and consistency at the back for the last 4/5 years.

Kelvin

sort out his new contract soon, we can't afford to lose him.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
This bit doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Eh?
A lot of what his agents have said in the past, with continual reports of his wife's inability to "cope" with the English life, make me think that he might just be off. If he does leave, it certainly won't be because of contract negotiations breaking down. It's also interesting that when asked about whether Smalling was meant to be a replacement for Vidic, SAF declined to answer. SAF might just think that considering all the factors (one of which is Evans being ready to step up), he may just let Vidic go if a big offer comes in. £30 mill+ for a defender soon to turn 29 would be sensible business by the club. Smalling's also said that he'd be on the "front foot" in terms of first team opportunities, if Vidic stayed, I couldn't see him getting that many games but if he does leave, I assume that Smalling would take up Evans' role.

Kelvin

A lot of what his agents have said in the past, with continual reports of his wife's inability to "cope" with the English life, make me think that he might just be off. If he does leave, it certainly won't be because of contract negotiations breaking down. It's also interesting that when asked about whether Smalling was meant to be a replacement for Vidic, SAF declined to answer. SAF might just think that considering all the factors (one of which is Evans being ready to step up), he may just let Vidic go if a big offer comes in. £30 mill+ for a defender soon to turn 29 would be sensible business by the club. Smalling's also said that he'd be on the "front foot" in terms of first team opportunities, if Vidic stayed, I couldn't see him getting that many games but if he does leave, I assume that Smalling would take up Evans' role.
the thing is I don't trust Smalling to be good for us.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
the thing is I don't trust Smalling to be good for us.
Since his move to us, he's looked shakey but I didn't watch him before he signed but I take confidence from the fact that SAF, Wenger and Hodgeson all think that he's going be a top class defender. We've got a great track record of developing defenders at United. Let's just see how he does once he starts working with our coaching staff before we draw any conclusions.

wr8_utd

:'(
at the end of the day, i believe vidic wants pay parity with rio.

and i'm not all that confident that fergie/gill will give it to him.
He bloody well deserves it. He has been miles better than Rio for the last 2 years.

It's no coincidence our performances improved drastically after his return.

Vidic+ Evans = Reliable.

Rio+Evans= Brown + Evans since Rio's always injured which = defenses performances like the one away at Goodison.

wr8_utd

:'(
Letting Vidic go would be the worst mistake Fergie could make. It would hurt us far more than losing Ronaldo and Tevez last year.

We would not have won/drawn games like City away and Blackburn and Sunderland without his masterclass performances at the back.

He has been absolutely outstanding since his return from injury. We need him.

Amir

Fergie only recently talked about the mistake he made letting Stam go. I can't see him doing that again. It would be even worse.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Smalling's also said that he'd be on the "front foot" in terms of first team opportunities, if Vidic stayed, I couldn't see him getting that many games but if he does leave, I assume that Smalling would take up Evans' role.
Smalling is a couple of years away. He will definitely be behind Wes Brown, and possibly even John O'Shea, in the CB pecking order this season.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
There was a Serbian interview the other day where Vidic stated he will be staying at United for the foreseeable future.
Good good, thats a relief, also on the wage issue he quite clearly deserves parity with the likes of Ferdinand etc, hes as crucial to the team as anyone and in my view our best defender now Rios a total sicknote.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
I think he's been better for the last 3 years, but that's me.
The last two years, yes.

The last three years, absolutely horseshit. Rio was just unreal in 07/08, I've never seen anything like it.

vuc

First Team Serb
The last two years, yes.

The last three years, absolutely horseshit. Rio was just unreal in 07/08, I've never seen anything like it.
You can have your opinion, I've got mine. Vidic at his best dominates attacks in a way i've never seen Rio do. My opinion no need to flame feck me for it.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Theres been nothing between Rio and Vidic for the last few years, to argue one way or the other is semantics really, their both world class centre halfs who compliment each other perfectly resulting in us being extremly fortunate to lay claim to the worlds best defensive axis.......its fair to say however that as we sit here today Vidic is probably a level above Rio simply because Rios become a sicknote and as one would expect his games not got back to the level it was a season or so ago.....i worry for Ferdinands future personaly, if its not his back its his groin that keeps playing up and hes the wrong side of 30.....maybe next season we'll see even more of the Vidic/Evans partnership.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
You can have your opinion, I've got mine. Vidic at his best dominates attacks in a way i've never seen Rio do. My opinion no need to flame feck me for it.
He he, flame feck? That's a new one.

But fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. As am I.

vuc

First Team Serb
Theres been nothing between Rio and Vidic for the last few years, to argue one way or the other is semantics really, their both world class centre halfs who compliment each other perfectly resulting in us being extremly fortunate to lay claim to the worlds best defensive axis.......its fair to say however that as we sit here today Vidic is probably a level above Rio simply because Rios become a sicknote and as one would expect his games not got back to the level it was a season or so ago.....i worry for Ferdinands future personaly, if its not his back its his groin that keeps playing up and hes the wrong side of 30.....maybe next season we'll see even more of the Vidic/Evans partnership.
I take your points, I would say though that the defence copes better with Vidic without Rio than it would with Rio without Vidic.

Its a shame that injuries have taken his form away. I think its safe to say that Evans will get a lot of game time next season.

Dyslexic Untied

I also think they are both the same, Rio had a better 07/08 perhaps, and Vidic has been a bit better since.

No big differences though and they are both absolutely world class defenders.

The big difference in their meaning to us is 1) their age and 2) injury proness.

Vidic is less prone to injury and a couple of years younger. So it is vital to keep him at OT. He deserves to be one of the highest earners at United.

nemanja15

Vidic is one of the keys to us having any form of success of the next 2/3 years if we can keep him - Fergie will know just how crucial he is to the team.

Nathan

Having watched the bulk of the matches, i'm not sure i would agree. in some games he looked off the pace. I think it was related to his confidence levels which we saw him coming back to his best. Still i think that he had a very good season, not his best though.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Having watched the bulk of the matches, i'm not sure i would agree. in some games he looked off the pace. I think it was related to his confidence levels which we saw him coming back to his best. Still i think that he had a very good season, not his best though.
he had a dodgy start to the season, but started the season injured. When his injuries cleared up, he started to get back to his best. Thought he put in some fantastic performances in the run in especially.