Vidic

vuc

First Team Serb
Having watched the bulk of the matches, i'm not sure i would agree. in some games he looked off the pace. I think it was related to his confidence levels which we saw him coming back to his best. Still i think that he had a very good season, not his best though.
He was carrying an injury since the summer. After the injury fully cleared (West Ham match) he has been in great form, the last 2 months have been as good as anything he produced last year if not better.

City, Bolton are the two games that stick out.

Name Changed

weso26
Having watched the bulk of the matches, i'm not sure i would agree. in some games he looked off the pace. I think it was related to his confidence levels which we saw him coming back to his best. Still i think that he had a very good season, not his best though.
Once he got through his injuries, he looked back to his best. Towards the end of the season, he was tremendous.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was carrying an injury since the summer. After the injury fully cleared (West Ham match) he has been in great form, the last 2 months have been as good as anything he produced last year if not better.

City, Bolton are the two games that stick out.
He wasn't as consistent as he was last season though. Last season he had about a four month period where he was pretty much unpassable in every single match. Whereas over the last month or two he's had some brilliant games but also some games where he's 'only' been good.

Consistency is also why I rate Rio of 07/08 ahead of Vidic of 08/09. During that four month period Vidic was every bit as good as Rio the previous season, possibly even a little bit better. However as soon as our clean sheet record got stopped Vidic's form dropped off quite badly for the remainder of the season. Whereas Rio stayed at his level for pretty much the entire season in 07/08. Up there with Nesta as the best season I've seen a defender have during the last decade.

MacMUFC

He wasn't as consistent as he was last season though. Last season he had about a four month period where he was pretty much unpassable in every single match. Whereas over the last month or two he's had some brilliant games but also some games where he's 'only' been good.

Consistency is also why I rate Rio of 07/08 ahead of Vidic of 08/09. During that four month period Vidic was every bit as good as Rio the previous season, possibly even a little bit better. However as soon as our clean sheet record got stopped Vidic's form dropped off quite badly for the remainder of the season. Whereas Rio stayed at his level for pretty much the entire season in 07/08. Up there with Nesta as the best season I've seen a defender have during the last decade.
Agreed.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
:lol: what age are you?
Eh? He took the piss out of every single attackers he met that year, pure pure class. So yes, it was the best season I've ever seen by any defender.

Vidic 08/09 and Stam 98/99 was pretty close though.

No, I didn't quite get to see McGrath at United if that's what you're getting at.

And no, I don't really follow other leagues than Premier League.

I'm 32.

vuc

First Team Serb

I've no doubt that had this season continued for another two months he would have continued his form but that's all ifs/buts. You are right though his consistency is what makes him so good.

The clean sheet record happened when Vidic wasn't playing vs Blackburn. IIRC it was Rio's mistake but its neither here nor there. His form dropped off but was never 'quite badly' aside from the Liverpool game and Barca final there were no major mistakes - its because he fecked up in the high profile games that attention is drawn to it..

kundalini

Eh? He took the piss out of every single attackers he met that year, pure pure class. So yes, it was the best season I've ever seen by any defender.

Vidic 08/09 and Stam 98/99 was pretty close though.

No, I didn't quite get to see McGrath at United if that's what you're getting at.

And no, I don't really follow other leagues than Premier League.

I'm 32.
McGrath was in a totally different league. Add the best bits of Rio to Vidic's strengths and you'd almost get McGrath at his peak for United. On their own, both Rio and Vidic look extremely limited players when compared to McGrath.

vuc

First Team Serb
McGrath was in a totally different league. Add the best bits of Rio to Vidic's strengths and you'd almost get McGrath at his peak for United. On their own, both Rio and Vidic look extremely limited players when compared to McGrath.
Limited in what ways? This is a legitimate question. For example I find it hard to believe that McGrath was ever as good as Vidic at heading. I'll say right now that the only thing I have seen of McGrath are highlights so I am not going to say he was not better or anything like that. I just want to know Rio/Vidic's limitations in comparison.

kundalini

Limited in what ways? This is a legitimate question. For example I find it hard to believe that McGrath was ever as good as Vidic at heading. I'll say right now that the only thing I have seen of McGrath are highlights so I am not going to say he was not better or anything like that. I just want to know Rio/Vidic's limitations in comparison.
Rio - poor concentration (at times truly abysmal), weak in the air (just doesn't like heading the ball), strength ok but nothing special. Plenty of strengths mean he has been a very good player for United and for a spell was a superb performer.

Vidic - very slow (relative) and limited technical skills (not a pure footballer, for instance you couldn't imagine him in midfield). Obviously good at just about everything else.

McGrath - genuinely quick (fastest player at the club at the time), strongest player at the club at the time, most skillfull player at the club (I'm being totally serious. McGrath's flicked clearances were Cantona-like. He could dribble his way out of trouble. He played for Rep of Ireland in midfield!). The only United player in his league since George Best is Ronaldo. The likes of Keane, Robson, Cantona, Schmeichel, Rio, Giggs et al do not come close to McGrath at his peak for United. He was just embarrassingly good. We defended a very high line up the pitch then let quick forwards get through on goal (under Atkinson fullbacks were attackers not defenders so there were big holes in the defence) only for McGrath to accelerate back to catch the forward then dispossess him (not tackle); this happened so many times at Old Trafford it was ridiculous as you knew exactly what was going to happen.

Most of McGrath's acclaim comes from his time at Villa and his displays for Ireland in the World Cups. But by this time his knees were in terrible shape and the drinking was completely out of control. His performances for United were significantly better than those that earned him the PFA player of the year much later in his career. Watching him play for Villa, what used to strike me was how ordinary he looked compared to his United displays. But the clips of him against Italy in the 1994 WC give a clue as to how good he was when his body was in better shape and he had his incredible pace (he'd left United 5 years prior to this).

YouTube - Paul McGrath v Italy 1994

Hopefully neither Rio nor Vidic have McGrath's drink problems, or his knees.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Rio - poor concentration (at times truly abysmal), weak in the air (just doesn't like heading the ball), strength ok but nothing special. Plenty of strengths mean he has been a very good player for United and for a spell was a superb performer.

Vidic - very slow (relative) and limited technical skills (not a pure footballer, for instance you couldn't imagine him in midfield). Obviously good at just about everything else.

McGrath - genuinely quick (fastest player at the club at the time), strongest player at the club at the time, most skillfull player at the club (I'm being totally serious. McGrath's flicked clearances were Cantona-like. He could dribble his way out of trouble. He played for Rep of Ireland in midfield!). The only United player in his league since George Best is Ronaldo. The likes of Keane, Robson, Cantona, Schmeichel, Rio, Giggs et al do not come close to McGrath at his peak for United. He was just embarrassingly good. We defended a very high line up the pitch then let quick forwards get through on goal (under Atkinson fullbacks were attackers not defenders so there were big holes in the defence) only for McGrath to accelerate back to catch the forward then dispossess him (not tackle); this happened so many times at Old Trafford it was ridiculous as you knew exactly what was going to happen.

Most of McGrath's acclaim comes from his time at Villa and his displays for Ireland in the World Cups. But by this time his knees were in terrible shape and the drinking was completely out of control. His performances for United were significantly better than those that earned him the PFA player of the year much later in his career. Watching him play for Villa, what used to strike me was how ordinary he looked compared to his United displays. But the clips of him against Italy in the 1994 WC give a clue as to how good he was when his body was in better shape and he had his incredible pace (he'd left United 5 years prior to this).

Good read that, thanks.

He sounds absolutely fantastic, he must've been a total wreck in every way for Fergie to give up on him.

vuc

First Team Serb

Fair play mate, its good to see a post like this that explains why x player is better than another instead of the usual 'he just is'..

It's amazing to think that McGrath's performance against Italy was at a time when he was inferior to his previous form (as you said). Awesome.

I think you might underrate Vidic's ability to play with the ball though, he has one of the highest passing distribution rates out there and Ferguson said himself in the past he can 'play'. Don't forget he can play either foot and can pick a pass too. He just plays it safe the majority of the time.

Hitchcocker

Set the tone well from the first tackle and built on from that. Great performance from the back.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I think we would have conceded today if vidic wasn't on the field.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
That header where he just lept into it was awesome. Also the bit where they crossed the ball, Evans just it flys over him and Vidic heads it out for a corner - and then talks to Evans is something we've missed. To think some people were calling him a cnut not so long ago lol. We needed him today and that header in the first half symbolized what he's about.

wr8_utd

:'(
Keep him fit all season and we'll win the title. Quite easily the best defender in the world and unbeatable in the air.

Still don't know why we didn't put him up against Bendtner who seemed to be winning a lot against Rio.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Perhaps because Rio is less reckless. No need for aggressive Vidic. Bendtner isn't a big threat in the air.

wr8_utd

:'(
Perhaps because Rio is less reckless. No need for aggressive Vidic. Bendtner isn't a big threat in the air.
Well Bendtener was winning a lot in the air vs Rio and Vidic is usually the left centre back so I couldn't quite figure out why we changed that today. Anyway Vidic was imperious today. It's no coincidence that we finally look solid at the back with his return.

Aint gota Kalou

He's class. Noone I would rather have in the last 10 minutes to help defend a lead, back to the walls defending at it's best. Same with the Everton game too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Could have been some sort of counter in regards to Wickham. He's aggressive. But he went out early and no need to change tactics really.
Only guesswork from me. Didn't see it matter very much.