Wan-Bissaka for sale

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s funny he’s so crap going forward. He used to be a winger and converted to full back. How bad of a winger must he have been that he still doesn’t have enough offensive output to even be a RB?

I do think he’s better than he’s shown the last 12 months, but he’s only every going to work for a side that sits deep and doesn’t have the ball often. Which should never be United. I think he’s superb one on one, but that’s just one element of being a good full back. There are about 10 other boxes he doesn’t tick.

He is the classic example of our scouting team not using data in their analysis of players. He passed the eye and sniff test, without any semblance of an analysis as to how his game would work for a top four chasing team. Really, really bad recruitment.

Still, he’s young enough and good enough that in the right system he could do well. It’s just a system that will never be used at United under ETH (thank god). Either sell him this summer and cut your losses, or loan him to a mid/lower table team where he will play, hope he has a good season, and then sell him for better value next summer. Higher risk, higher upside.

I’d be inclined to cut all losses now and take anything over 20M for him. Like I would take anything over 5m for Pereira, 5m for Pellestri, 10M for Bailly, Jones let him leave for free, and anything over 10M plus a whole bunch of conditions for Martial. Cut losses, cut wage bill, get rid of players who won’t play for us, get some extra money in - book value is determined by what the market is willing to pay, and was always mythical. AWB’s feee has been mostly amortised already, and a 20M fee will probably count as an accounting profit at this point.

I’d Insert simple sell on clauses for any of the players aged 26 or under, to protect against them doing well and us not benefitting.

You have to keep Dalot so we have some depth at RB, but I strongly doubt he is anywhere near good enough.

Frankly I’d sell Telles too, as he’s barely serviceable for a top half PL side, but I’m started to get worried about squad depth and incomings required. So that’s one to look at later.

SAFMUTD

he's shown plenty of times he's good at beating a man and can play decent link up play.

I've actually been annoyed at his defensive play more than his attacking play this year. He has plenty of potential, i'm sure ETH can get a better tune out of him.

He needs proper coaching. His 2 coaches he's had so far have been Hodgson and Solskjaer.
He's weak offensively, it's not only that he doesn't have the numbers and stats to back it up, but he looks awkward going Forward. I agree he hasn't really got any top coaching before, but I think he doesn't have the natural skills to actually get to a level Ten Hag will require.

But let's give time to time, all our players look shit at the moment. Hopefully Ten Hag can get some of them playing decently.

AttackAttackAttack

Great take and so true. :lol:

To be fair, neither Dalot nor AWB have shown they are good enough for United. It’s not like Dalot is Phillip Lahm on the ball — attacking wise he’s pretty poor too. Prime AWB (ha!) he at least locked down the likes of Sterling and other top wingers. If I had to choose, I would take AWB, just because he’s better defensively.
I agree with this. Sell Dalot and keep AWB for now as back up. Throw him on for the select occasions we want to sure up our defense. I also think we will have more offers/better offers for Dalot so let’s get that cash money.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That's how bad its Been I thought it was 2 seasons the lock down one and this season. Anyway if awb and dalot both go only Brandon williams will be left. RB has been a position that hasn't been addressed properly since Valencia went.
Maybe this season we sort it.
Exactly, we're not exactly amazing with a deep squad, if we thin it out it will help us rebuild in the future, we need the next few windows to ship out 15+ players and sign maybe half of that - it's probably going to get worse (league position wise) before it gets better, but it's the only way to flesh out the current crop of character devoid players.

We've experienced many false dawns with this group of players, and until they're gone, we're going to experience little "highs" of losing cup finals, finishing 2nd etc until their lack of backbone shows again and they throw another manager under the bus.

hobbers

No amount of coaching can save a player with such limited ability.

Goes for AWB, McTominay, Lingard etc... all the players who have the first touch of someone wearing cement block shoes.

NoPace

£20m to Palace would be a good return since they actually need a RB to replace Ward

VDB to Ajax for £20m would be a good return

Unfortunately we hold on to players that have no future here for way too long. See Lingard for £10m last season, Mata about 10 years ago. Simple things are like rocket science at this club
I can't imagine we'll sell the one player in the squad in VDB who has worked with Ten Hag before, especially when he played so well and so much for him.

Also I sort of think Vieira had a good enough season and wants to play good football so he'll be able to block Palace buying him back even if the people who sold him for 50 think getting him back for 20 at age 24 is incredible business for what will effectively have been a a 3 year loan for 30M over which they weren't relegated.

But someone in the Prem will probably buy him. Everton or West Ham would be my guess.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've said it since he's arrived. A basketball player pretending to play football.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Assume those wanting us to keep Wan Bissaka instead of Dalot still accept we need a new first choice right back. Ten Hag will obviously have a style and system of play and presumably he'll want it to be seamless when you take out a player for another (rotation) that you won't need to change how we play, like the way Liverpool and City rotate their squads and you never notice a difference. Not sure if Dalot is the answer either but he atleast looks like a shitter version of the type of right back stylistically that ETH would likely be after. He'd be more capable of slotting in as cover into a ETH system than Wan Bissaka I'm sure
Yeh. If ETH's style is inspired by Cruyff's, not in million years AWB could fit in. THis would end up frustrating both sides. The boy has strength for other style. It's like asking Pep to fit in Inzaghi.

Varun

Staff
Has no business playing FB for a team that wants to play proactive attacking football. Criminal that we got him in the same summer when Cancelo moved and that too for 50 fkin mil.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I personally think AWB can still be a good option for us as the right sided CB in a back 3/5. Not sure if we plan to set up that way though under ETH.

If we do sell him, I hope we can still get £30 million for him.

Hughie77

Exactly, we're not exactly amazing with a deep squad, if we thin it out it will help us rebuild in the future, we need the next few windows to ship out 15+ players and sign maybe half of that - it's probably going to get worse (league position wise) before it gets better, but it's the only way to flesh out the current crop of character devoid players.

We've experienced many false dawns with this group of players, and until they're gone, we're going to experience little "highs" of losing cup finals, finishing 2nd etc until their lack of backbone shows again and they throw another manager under the bus.
Something tells me the whole structure has changed from 2013 to now . ETH has his own guys in, scouts have gone new CEO plus others are going as well. We know there's quite a few players going already now the rest either fall in line or they can go as well, ETH has said he wants players to play for UTD not the lucrative contracts they could get.
Let's see we will all know in few weeks I think he wants the players he's after in before the tour.

Zippycup

He’s extremely lazy, best in the squad at jogging back together with McTominay.
That's simply not true.

Would it be fair to say that because you don't like the above players you have created a bit of a false narrative about them?

It happens. I've done it myself, however AWB and McTominay are not lazy players.

I'd even go as far as saying that If I was going to pick lazy players for United this season, those two wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Rajma

That's simply not true.

Would it be fair to say that because you don't like the above players you have created a bit of a false narrative about them?

It happens. I've done it myself, however AWB and McTominay are not lazy players.

I'd even go as far as saying that If I was going to pick lazy players for United this season, those two wouldn't even be in the conversation.
You’re right, I left out Pogba but he’s gone anyway, thankfully. Rashford is absolutely in conversation too for that nomination. I would be very happy to see the back of them all this summer to be honest with you.

Zippycup

You’re right, I left out Pogba but he’s gone anyway, thankfully. Rashford is absolutely in conversation too for that nomination. I would be very happy to see the back of them all this summer to be honest with you.
Here's something that may surprise you. Well, probably not given our current situation.

In the 2019/20 season, Mata was the highest distance per game for running stats.

Mata.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
That's simply not true.

He IS lazy, and if he isn't then he's just plain stupid.

How many times haven't we seen the opposite team breaking towards our goals, every alarm in the players body should scream code red yet AWB is casually jogging back without a care in the world. Pisses me right off.

GoldanoGraham

Will be going out on loan with an option to purchase surely - as soon as we sign a RB he will be off - there is no way that his complete lack of attacking and football ability will fit into the ETH style of play…..great one on one defender - but unfortunately it ends there.

Chicharito_

Embarrassing the club used to make video compilations of his slide tackles. How many slide tackles do you see Cancelo doing?

One of the most untalented players we have ever seen put on the shirt.

Zippycup

He IS lazy, and if he isn't then he's just plain stupid.

How many times haven't we seen the opposite team breaking towards our goals, every alarm in the players body should scream code red yet AWB is casually jogging back without a care in the world. Pisses me right off.
What is it with fans that we have to single out one or two players for criticism based on personal agendas against the player. It was bad enough under SAF but it’s ridiculous now. AWB is not lazy, that’s just absurd. Is the right man for the job? Probably not, but lazy? No.

I can only find running stats for the 19/20 season and you will be surprised to learn that Maguire ran more than another player. As a team we also ran more than City and just 50k or so less than Liverpool.

Harry Maguire ran 276.52km (30th Overall through all PL players) having played 3,420minutes

AWB ran 264.64km (46th Overall through all PL players) having played 3,072 minutes

Fred ran 259.67 (52th Overall through all PL players) having played 2,159 minutes

Those three are our top running players (distance wise) for that season.

Other players

Rashford 124th place with 196.29km having played 2,653 minutes

Luke Shaw 207th place with 140.25km having played 1,734 minutes

Pogba 346th place 58.68 having played having played 1,205 minutes

*Bruno 352nd place with 56.24 having played 3,118 minutes having played 1,192 minutes

While I appreciate that these stats are from the 2019/20 season and lots has changed since then, it just furthers my belief that our defensive issues are the result of laziness from those in midfield, but more so from the wings.
Yes, stats don't tell the full story but they can certainly add to the conversation. So many players are hiding behind the knowledge that no matter how bad they play the likes of Maguire, Fred and McTominay will take all the flack..

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I can only find running stats for the 19/20 season and you will be surprised to learn that Maguire ran more than another player.

Harry Maguire ran 276.52km (30th Overall through all PL players) having played 3,420minutes

AWB ran 264.64km (46th Overall through all PL players) having played 3,072 minutes

Fred ran 259.67 (52th Overall through all PL players) having played 2,159 minutes

Not really mate... have you seen his first touch

Superunknown

He is a player that looked pretty good in his first few appearance, and then subsequently looked worse the more you saw of him. I'm not actually against keeping him as a squad player, but also wouldn't cry at all if he was sold and we brought in a more attacking first-choice right back. He's not the solution to that problem.

It's annoying, as I thought we'd finally sorted that position out.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What is it with fans that we have to single out one or two players for criticism based on personal agendas against the player. It was bad enough under SAF but it’s ridiculous now. AWB is not lazy, that’s just absurd. Is the right man for the job? Probably not, but lazy? No.

I can only find running stats for the 19/20 season and you will be surprised to learn that Maguire ran more than another player. As a team we also ran more than City and just 50k or so less than Liverpool.

Other players

Rashford 124th place with 196.29km having played 2,653 minutes

Luke Shaw 207th place with 140.25km having played 1,734 minutes

Pogba 346th place 58.68 having played having played 1,205 minutes

*Bruno 352nd place with 56.24 having played 3,118 minutes having played 1,192 minutes

While I appreciate that these stats are from the 2019/20 season and lots has changed since then, it just furthers my belief that our defensive issues are the result of laziness from those in midfield, but more so from the wings.
Yes, stats don't tell the full story but they can certainly add to the conversation. So many players are hiding behind the knowledge that no matter how bad they play the likes of Maguire, Fred and McTominay will take all the flack..
You've posted distance stats rather than sprints which is what the poster was talking about.

I've seen it plenty of times too. He has a very lackadaisical approach to getting back sometimes. He jogs back towards goal and it is infuriating.

Kag

I don’t mind Wan-Bissaka. He’s a good player; much better than on recent evidence.

I’d cut our losses now, though. He isn’t going to be Ten Hag’s main man in the long term and I’m not convinced he’s got the stones to overcome adversity here, which is probably a bigger issue than his forays into the opposition half.

Get a respectable fee for him and move on. We can bring in somebody more suitable, the buying club gets a good defender, and Wan-Bissaka himself gets to clear his head and kick on in less difficult circumstances. Win-win for all.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’ll do well in the Italian league. Also for €30m we should be biting their hand off.

SATA

Roma couldn’t and wouldn’t pay more than 10M for Chris Smalling and now they want to pay 30M for this guy. Yeah right :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just cannot see any Italian team paying than for AWB. The home of elite defending.
You make it sound like every defender is elite. So why’d they buy smalling? Why did they loan that RB from arsenal?

jose knows these players and he knows what AWB could bring if develops him

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I just cannot see any Italian team paying than for AWB. The home of elite defending.
Italian clubs paid £34m for Tammy Abraham and £30m for Timori just last year so they certainly have the money to pay.

Also, AWB comes across as a Mou player.

Irwin99

Could be a good move for him in Italy. He'll play in a back 5 which could help him in terms of having an extra defender to help him with his positioning and he'll have other English players (Tammy Abraham and Smalling) to help him settle. 30 million for us would be nice too :D

Jagga7

I've said it since he's arrived. A basketball player pretending to play football.
Such racist connotations, I feel sorry for black folk who have to deal with garbage like this on such a regular basis.

diarm

Offer him about and see can we sell him before preseason starts. If not, and Palace are willing to cover all of his wages with that loan, then write him off as a bad debt and get him out so Ten Hag can have serious training sessions with proper footballers.

Same goes for Martial - if we have to pay half his wages to get rid of him, we should be looking at the punishment as learning from the sins of our past and ensuring we don't make them again in the future.

Keeping these clowns around will cost us more than the money we'll lose by calling it now.