Wayne Rooney | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
You said :

You're defending Ronaldo saying it's fine that players need a new challenge but Rooney's done the same and he's a twat for asking twice? Or maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying and you aren't defending Ronaldo but it looked like since you responded with your reply to my post comparing Roone and Ronaldo.

None of the players who were not in the squad were on the pitch for the speech.

No my problem with Rooney is as follows,

1. I don't like scousers! Never have and never will. Not even The Beatles!

2. I have not forgiven him for what happened in 2010

3. Fergie said he's frustrated at been taking off a few times this season and then he asks for a transfer. If I was getting taking off every week for been shit, I'd look at myself and not sulk and ask for a transfer.

If he wants a new challenge then good luck to him. Good for him! I'll support him seen as he plays for us but I'll never like him

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

3. Fergie said he's frustrated at been taking off a few times this season and then he asks for a transfer. If I was getting taking off every week for been shit, I'd look at myself and not sulk and ask for a transfer.

If he wants a new challenge then good luck to him. Good for him! I'll support him seen as he plays for us but I'll never like him
That first point's a bit pathetic to be honest.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I still don't think the Ronaldo and Rooney sagas are comparable.

Rooney first asked to leave by bemoaning the lack of quality in the side, and questioning the direction of the club. Which was down right disrespectful. He essentially abused his position at the club to earn himself a nice fat contract.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is a Madrid fan.
Is Ronaldo a Madrid fan? Also agreeing with Blatters comments regarding slavery, is disrespectful

I think people should stop trying to justify their hostility and enjoy the fact we're champions. Whatever will be will be an all that.

wr8_utd

:'(
I still don't think the Ronaldo and Rooney sagas are comparable.

Rooney first asked to leave by bemoaning the lack of quality in the side, and questioning the direction of the club. Which was down right disrespectful. He essentially abused his position at the club to earn himself a nice fat contract.

Ronaldo, on the other hand, is a Madrid fan.
This is the biggest load of nonsense always used to justify Ronaldo's decision to leave.

2006 :

"I should get out of Manchester as the circumstances are not right," he said.

"Nobody stood up for me and my desire is to play in Spain. Will it be Real or Barcelona? It will be one of them."

Ronaldo claimed: "For some time I haven't had any support from my chief executive (David Gill) or my coach (Sir Alex Ferguson). They should have come out in my defence but no-one did.
Fan of Real Madrid? That's nonsense. And it's not some sort of childhood dream either.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Is Ronaldo a Madrid fan? Also agreeing with Blatters comments regarding slavery, is disrespectful

I think people should stop trying to justify their hostility and enjoy the fact we're champions. Whatever will be will be an all that.
When Ronaldo was leaving, it was the only real destination. He never courted other clubs at all, he only had eyes for Madrid.

Rooney, however, would apparently be prepared to join a selection of different clubs.

Not comparable, at all.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Lets not go in for silly revisionism. Rooney has been a vital, vital player for us and one of the best we've had. For this season and every other he's been here.

He's an idiot. But I'm not going to dismiss his enormous contribution to Manchester United until he rocks up in a City/Chelsea shirt and kisses the badge like he did at Everton in '05.

Until then, he has my respect as a Manchester United footballer.
Rooney has been a top player for us NQAT, and back in 2010 he was vital to the team, which is exactly why Fergie went out of his way to convince him to stay.
Today is a different story though, he is still a very good player but it is possible that we have already seen his peak.
Do you think he is still a vital player for us? I would say he is no longer vital to our success so it is a good time to cash in on him and move on.

Tibs

Another comparison between Ronaldo and Rooney...this time it's a 'Who Is the Least cnutish'-off.

And for once - Rooney might win! Wahey!!!!

lol only joking Ronaldo > Rooney

wr8_utd

Fair enough. Pretty much no one will like him even if he stays.

December_16

Btw now that the news has broken, all eyes will be on him and his body languages at the parade tomorrow. I for one am not excited about this hoopla.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Today is a different story though, he is still a very good player but it is possible that we have already seen his peak.
And if so, he's put in a greater shift than 90% of our servants.

Do you think he is still a vital player for us? I would say he is no longer vital to our success so it is a good time to cash in on him and move on.
Yes. He's not top dog anymore, but he's still vital in a sense (vital being a wobbly term...not meaning the literal "we can't do without him" schtick, obvioulsy) There's no Etihad win or RVP Villa volley without him this season. Two of our crowning moments of the term.

KiD MoYeS

This is the biggest load of nonsense always used to justify Ronaldo's decision to leave.

2006 :

Fan of Real Madrid? That's nonsense. And it's not some sort of childhood dream either.
Ronaldo's exit was inevitable. He wanted to play for Madrid. He wanted to be closer to his family. His exit was not for financial gain. He even gave us an extra season.

Rooney's initial request was for financial gain. The current request could well be for financial gain.

The two are not comparable.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Do you really think we wont replace him with a big name striker if he does leave? I don't see much benefit for Welbeck or Kagawa, or those who think this will be helpful for strengthening our weak areas, we'll end up blowing whatever we receive on him on someone to replace him up front.

It'd just be so much easier to just have Moyes tell him he'll player a big role next season and have him sign a new contract, to be honest.
That's not the way to lead a football club. How would other players feel, half of our squad could do Rooney next year then.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rooney has been a top player for us NQAT, and back in 2010 he was vital to the team, which is exactly why Fergie went out of his way to convince him to stay.
The issue isn't Rooney's ability its his mindset. In the middle of what's been a fairly average run of form for United Rooney had a very good showing for England. In the England vs Brazil friendly Rooney didn't show the heavy touch, wayward passing or carelessness in possession that he seems to develop when he pulls on a red shirt. That just goes to show that Rooney has 'it' in him still he just doesn't appear to want to do 'it' at United anymore.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ronaldo's exit was inevitable. He wanted to play for Madrid. He wanted to be closer to his family. His exit was not for financial gain. He even gave us an extra season.

Rooney's initial request was for financial gain. The current request could well be for financial gain.

He gave us feck all. It wasn't altruism. He stayed because he had a long contract.

wr8_utd

He didn't want to play for Madrid. He'd have played for them or Barca like he said back in 2006. He was never a Madrid fan and neither was it his childhood dream. And how do you know that his move was not for financial gain? The wages he earns at Madrid are far far more than what he would be earning here. He gave us an extra season? Well Rooney has given us 2.5 since his first request.

And you're again completely assuming that his latest transfer request has financial motivations. He's already on around 200k a week so I hardly think he'd want to move just for some 20-30k more a week. It's entirely possible he's disillusioned with his role in the team and being shifted around since the arrival of RvP or maybe he just wants a new challenge? Like Ronaldo, he's not a fan of Manchester United.

Ash_G

The issue isn't Rooney's ability its his mindset. In the middle of what's been a fairly average run of form for United Rooney had a very good showing for England. In the England vs Brazil friendly Rooney didn't show the heavy touch, wayward passing or carelessness in possession that he seems to develop when he pulls on a red shirt. That just goes to show that Rooney has 'it' in him still he just doesn't appear to want to do 'it' at United anymore.
I dunno, all the aspects of his game that have been off this season, such as the touch/carelessness etc at times have been there for years imo. It's always been a feature of his game. I think what's been new this season is his visible lack of emotion. When he's been subbed it's just head down and quietly off the pitch, similarly when thinkgs have been going badly for him he's seemed a little quiet/subdued.

KiD MoYeS

You have your views, I have mine.

Still don't think Ronaldo's exit and Rooney's potential exit are all that comparable, certainly for what we know to be fact.

Mockney

It's been broached a lot, and rightly so, but what Neville & Schmiechel were saying post match was spot on. He's an idiot, and could very feasibly be swayed by a bit of good guidance and thought. It's very very easy for us to look at his ridiculous privileges and judge him harshly. But this boy's been told he's the dogs since he was 16. He lives in another universe to us, and while that's not a good thing, it's part of the reason that to him, his priorities have shifted, just as everyones does the more successful they get.

Otherwise you get a footballing world of Matt Le Tissiers. Which is alright on some level. But fat and trophyless on another.

The whole Rooney & Ronaldo comparison thing is tedious and forumy and clearly will be never ending and subjetive, but it's apt. There have been plenty of players who've forced their way out and are still revered hugely. Best, Beckham, Ronaldo, Ruud. Ruud did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. Rooney may have done it twice, but Rooney's also twice the part of United history as Ruud.

None of this is a reason to not want rid. But it's a reason to not act like hateful jilted lovers until he's at least slagged us off and kissed a rival badge.

The Neviller

Yes, because he can of course just stroll around the corner from Madrid to the Island of Madeira.

How does moving to Spain make it any easier to see his family in Portugal?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
And if so, he's put in a greater shift than 90% of our servants.

Yes. He's not top dog anymore, but he's still vital in a sense (vital being a wobbly term...not meaning the literal "we can't do without him" schtick, obvioulsy) There's no Etihad win or RVP Villa volley without him this season. Two of our crowning moments of the term.
Ye well it does depend on your definition of 'vital' I suppose - he is still one of our best players but the team is no longer built around him, that is why I say he is no longer vital to our success.
Post-Ronaldo the team revolved around Rooney, he was the top dog - he isn't anymore and it looks like he is not able to accept that.

The irony is that he publicly questioned the club's ambition back in 2010, now Fergie has bought in a world class striker who is better than him (ye arguable, I know) and he wants to leave!

You could be right - all I know is that he is not playing on the level for us that he was a couple of years ago so perhaps it is best for him and us to get a fresh start

wr8_utd

I must have missed the selfish, rich, arrogant Rooney calling himself a slave on 100+k a week.
This. Ronaldo's actions that summer really were worse than Rooney going to Fergie and talking in private about wanting to leave for whatever reasons.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I dunno, all the aspects of his game that have been off this season, such as the touch/carelessness etc at times have been there for years imo. It's always been a feature of his game. I think what's been new this season is his visible lack of emotion. When he's been subbed it's just head down and quietly off the pitch, similarly when thinkgs have been going badly for him he's seemed a little quiet/subdued.
Rooney has, prior to this season, had spells when his game goes to pieces but those spells always ended with a brilliance that has been lacking this year. He hasn't played his way back into form, he has simply been middle of the road without showing the bite and drive to do much better. You call it quiet/subdued I call it thinking of being elsewhere.

KiD MoYeS

Anyway, for whatever reason Ferguson has seen to make Rooney's desire to leave public knowledge, twice.

He was always happy to smile alongside Ronaldo for all them summers he apparently requested to leave.

There's something there, for me, in the difference. Ferguson's reaction to both sagas.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Sad thing is his latest stunt puts him well low on the list of United fan favourites. Now even Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, VDS, maybe even Carrick will be held in higher esteem by our fans.

The Neviller

Madrid is closer to Madeira than Manchester.
Is he swimming there when he pays visits?

It's a fecking flight away, on a plane, which he'd have to get on anyway. And it might take him an extra hour or two from Manchester. That's a bullshit reason that you've used to excuse his move.

Closer to his family, whilst still living in an entirely different country. If he wanted to be close to his family he'd have moved to Madeira, Portugal. You know, where his family live.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I must have missed the selfish, rich, arrogant Rooney calling himself a slave on 100+k a week.
Point of order - I have never seen or heard any quotes from Ronaldo calling himself a slave, if you have any let me know. I am pretty sure it was just media misrepresentation.
Blatter made a long speech including some comments about slaves amongst a whole lot of other stuff, Ronaldo then quoted saying he agreed with Blatter but what exactly he was agreeing to is never clarified.

But really Im not going to get into the whole Rooney vs Ronaldo thing.

wr8_utd

Anyway, for whatever reason Ferguson has seen to make Rooney's desire to leave public knowledge, twice.

He was always happy to smile alongside Ronaldo for all them summers he apparently requested to leave.

There's something there, for me, in the difference. Ferguson's reaction to both sagas.
That's only because Ronaldo was the best player in the world. Ofcourse he'd smile alongside him to keep him.

Is he swimming there when he pays visits?

It's a fecking flight away, on a plane, which he'd have to get on anyway. And it might take him an extra hour or two from Manchester. That's a bullshit reason that you've used to excuse his move.

Closer to his family, whilst still living in an entirely different country. If he wanted to be close to his family he'd have moved to Portugal. You know, where his family live.
:lol::lol::lol:

Mockney

Y
The irony is that he publicly questioned the club's ambition back in 2010, now Fergie has bought in a world class striker who is better than him (ye arguable, I know) and he wants to leave!
Yeah, that is ironic. And actually quite funny. In fact I'd love nothing more than him to leave, never win a thing again and end up a grovelling alcoholic lamenting his youthful stupidity in his 8th autobiography while we win another European Cup with RVP and Ledowanski.

But I'm still not going to pass into Heinze/Tevez hate mode just yet.

wr8_utd

Point of order - I have never seen or heard any quotes from Ronaldo calling himself a slave, if you have any let me know. I am pretty sure it was just media misrepresentation.
Blatter made a long speech including some comments about slaves amongst a whole lot of other stuff, Ronaldo then quoted saying he agreed with Blatter but what exactly he was agreeing to is never clarified.

Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to join Real Madrid appeared stronger than ever last night after a television interview in which he reiterated he had not changed his mind about wanting to leave Manchester United and agreed with the Fifa president Sepp Blatter's criticism about the way the European Cup winners had handled the situation. Blatter had urged United to allow the player to leave and, more controversially, complained that there was "too much modern slavery" in the sport.

Blatter, an honorary member of Real Madrid with close ties to the club's president, Ramón Calderón, had described himself as "very much in sympathy" with Ronaldo and urged United to allow him to leave, suggesting it was otherwise tantamount to slavery. "I agree with what he said," said Ronaldo, when that last point was put to him. "It's true. I agree with what the president of Fifa said. I know what I want and what I would like. We have to see what happens. I do not know where I will begin next season."

Ronaldo was subsequently asked whether that meant he still wanted to move to Madrid. "At the moment I can't say any more," he replied. "But you know what I said [at the end of Euro 2008] and what I want." He was asked when it would be sorted out. "I hope very soon."

Blatter's comments had been widely condemned, with United saying there were "taken aback" by his choice of words and the Professional Footballers' Association calling for a retraction. Ronaldo, who earns more than £100,000 a week on a contract signed last year, seemed oblivious to the reaction at Old Trafford. "What the president of Fifa said is correct," he said when pressed further. "He is right."

Speaking to the Portuguese television station TVI, Ronaldo was asked to clarify whether he had agreed terms with Madrid. "It's not true," he said. "There is not an agreement." His interviewer then wanted to know why he and Ferguson had not spoken this summer. "I don't want to say anything," he responded.

Although Ronaldo strategically stopped short of directly stating he wanted to leave Old Trafford, there were several instances when he was asked to clarify his position and chose against saying anything positive about the club. He also did not express any regret about the impact for United of Ferguson's assistant, Carlos Queiroz, becoming Portugal's new manager. "Carlos is a great coach - he showed it many times in Manchester and before that in Portugal. I think he would be a great option for the national team." Ronaldo had been due to report for pre-season training on Monday but it emerged he had been given permission to remain in Portugal while he recuperates from surgery on his right ankle. The player was on crutches and revealed he might be out for "10 to 12 weeks."
Wow. Really does take you back to how terribly Ronaldo behaved that summer.

Mockney

I agree, the whole thing is silly.

But in the same vien, I haven't seen any quotes directly from Rooney disparaging the club or publicly courting other clubs in either of his wantaway instances. As Plech said, he's never officially come out whining. Both times it's been leaked externally.

As Brwned's excellent football forum thread intimates, who knows how many other players have acted just the same without receiving the same intense scrutiny.

My point isn't that we desperately need to keep him. More that if we don't, there's no need for his exemplary United career to go up in flames amongst the fanbase.

Dominos

Since the money issue keeps cropping up, surely there's no way he's getting another pay rise on his next contract? He must know that too? That's if he's even been offered one or is going to get an offer, which come to think of it there has been no reports of - giving credence to the idea the club are doing their best to force him out.

That's not the way to lead a football club. How would other players feel, half of our squad could do Rooney next year then.
Yes, I suppose they could all ask to leave and then stay... What for though? Shits and giggles?

We've shown many times over the decades we're prepared to keep players who have wanted away at one point or another, signing Rooney on this summer would hardly be revolutionary..

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Why are people bringing up Ronaldo, how is that remotely relevant?

Obviously a few are butt-hurt that Rooney has decided he wants out AGAIN (for what could be similar reasons, or entirely different). Ronaldo has gone and unless he does return, he's nothing to do with us or this. Rooney has made this current situation himself and in the end it'll be Rooney who either seals his stay with us or manufactures his move away. Just because he's your favourite player doesn't mean he should be free of fan reaction because Ronaldo alledgedly did the same thing. Get off your high horse.

Also, Rooney couldn't be more insignificant at the moment. The media can do all they want to make this huge, but there are much bigger things on our minds at the moment.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Wow. Really does take you back to how terribly Ronaldo behaved that summer.
You have just proven right there that Ronaldo never said anything about being a slave. It is media bullshit of feeding in info that isnt there.

As I said, I dont want to get into the whole Ronaldo/Rooney thing, but I thought it worth pointing out that the whole 'slave' thing that gets bought up is actually bollocks. Likewise, the media have done plenty to stir the pot for Rooney as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.