Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyMay

I believe that Rooney will have a very strong season next season. He's not had a consistent season for a couple of years now IMO, but he looks in great shape and will be working under a top manager. For all of Moyes' flaws under us, he was key at motivating Rooney, though I'm not an avid believer in allowing players that much freedom. Rooney obviously felt undervalued under Fergie, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for his poor performances. However, he's a great player mentally and at the top in that regard. For example, his role for us in the second half of 12/13 is often overlooked.

I find it sad that many on here want him to fail and have made the assumption that he won't get on well with LvG. I also find it frustrating that there's no balance in opinions. It's rare to find a balanced opinion on Rooney, unsurprisingly.

I'm no fan of Rooney as a #10 - I think his first touch, close control, awareness, positioning, and passing aren't good enough in that role, but there's nothing definitive with regards to LvG's choice of system. We'll see how well he does soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll have a good season. Most assists in the league, I feel.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's a key player for us. A lot of people were judging two people who had never met before, and yet here we are seeing them getting along. I reckon Van Gaal will have a good plan and role for him.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He needs to maintain match fitness and sharpness throughout the year, even if/when he gets injured. Can't have him being a passenger when coming back from a layoff, that seems to always be the case

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I hope he stays fit and has a great season.

I also hope he doesn't get the captaincy.

Spielmacher

I also hope he doesn't get the captaincy.
I think he will. 10 years at the club, english, one of the top performers, add the fact that there's no real standout canditate since Vidic & Evra left I think he's nailed on it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think he will. 10 years at the club, english, one of the top performers, add the fact that there's no real standout canditate since Vidic & Evra left I think he's nailed on it.
Asking to leave twice trumps everything else for me.

If he plays as he capable of then I'm glad we've got him, but I don't want him captaining the club.

Spielmacher

Asking to leave twice trumps everything else for me.

If he plays as he capable of then I'm glad we've got him, but I don't want him captaining the club.
Yeh, I can understand that. Evans would be my second choice, only if he can pinpoint a starting spot though, don't want Carrick or Van Persie.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeh, I can understand that. Evans would be my second choice, only if he can pinpoint a starting spot though, don't want Carrick or Van Persie.
It's a shame that we don't have anyone in the squad now that seems to hold the same level of love for the club that Evra had.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Me neither. It's a shame that nobody really jumps out any more. Not for wearing the armband itself, but for what it represents.

bishblaize

He needs to maintain match fitness and sharpness throughout the year, even if/when he gets injured. Can't have him being a passenger when coming back from a layoff, that seems to always be the case
Fergie said of Bryan Robson that his drinking only became a problem when he was injured, because he wasn't sweating out the alcohol like he normally did with his intense training.

Replace booze with junk food and fags and I think Rooney has (had?) the same problem.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Noticed the original poster said "next season"... Seeing as the first friendly is today, can we now call it "this season"?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I believe for Rooney to have a good season, either Mata or Van Persie must have a bad/average one. I can not see Rooney having a good season unless he is played in a proficient role and is surrounded by players that would improve his overall efficiency. All in all, I would be surprised if all three of these players has an excellent season this campaign without considering how injuries will affect team selection.

Brightonian

I believe for Rooney to have a good season, either Mata or Van Persie must have a bad/average one. I can not see Rooney having a good season unless he is played in a proficient role and is surrounded by players that would improve his overall efficiency. All in all, I would be surprised if all three of these players has an excellent season this campaign without considering how injuries will affect team selection.
I think Van Gaal will surprise you. If anyone in the world can get all three playing well in one system it's him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Rooney is one of the stronger options for captain because you still want him in the team playing regularly. Yes he can be poor every now and then, and sometimes he can be downright frustrating. But when he's on form, my god...

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I think Van Gaal will surprise you. If anyone in the world can get all three playing well in one system it's him.
I hope he will. I believe instead of Rooney being sacrifice to play on the left, Van Gaal may push Mata out wide and play Rooney behind the main striker/alongside when everone is fit. Mata is at least playable out wide, whereas Rooney on the left is hard to watch. I am sort of against this idea as I believe Mata is the best no. 10 in the league, so it will be a waste to have him out wide.

The system Van Gaal will play to incoprate these players will be an interesting thing to note throughout the season. I do not know how we can have a balance side with all three playing, but hopefully Van Gaal will figure it out. In the 5-3-2, there is no need for an extra center back in bpl competition, moreover the three in front will lack pace and penetration. The 4-2-2-2 seems like the best scenario, but Van Persie and Rooney must complement each otherin this duel striking role. Which, last season it has been noted, Rooney would prefer to pass it out wide than to his partner down the middle. Moreover, he would sometime get in Rvp space without providing the penetrative runs. Nevertheless, that was last season and things do change. So, their is a possibility that they can complement each other in the upcoming campaign.

JunesBoy

He is always one of our best players every year and it won't be any different this season..

I might not be a fan but he is good at what he does..Dont think he was as much of a team player last season and if LVG gets him to start understanding what a leadership role means, he will be exciting to watch.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've been very critical of Rooney in the past, and admittedly still resent him for his contract dispute, but I'd be very happy if Van Gaal gets the best out of him and the club benefits from it.

Walters_19_MuFc

What really annoys me about Rooney is that he wants to come get the ball too often, if you wanna play as a striker please play like a striker.
I don't think that's a problem if his strike partner runs in behind, which is why Rooney and Welbeck compliment each other very well, in my opinion.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, but when he plays with RVP that is their biggest problem, they both do that. I have no idea why RVP has stopped making runs behind the defense as well.
Well that means one should get dropped, and I personally feel Rooney is better at dropping off and linking up play.

RooneyLegend

Felt his and welbeck's off the ball movement was poor in the first half and they didn't give the midfielders any chance to play them the ball in behind the defence. They could all learn from young I suppose. He needs to revert back to his movement in the seasons when he was scoring all those goals. He's working way harder now to get goals than he was back then and that's down to him and how he's moving. He looks in good condition and there's no doubt his 1 touch play will get back to the level it used to be with van gaal in charge. You get the feeling our forwards aren't particularly sure where the goals are supposed to come from.

ottosec

Thought he was poor last night, but he's only training for 3 days so it's understandable.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He will hopefully be sticking to one position more often under van Gaal. He wont want Rooney wasting all his energy making pointless runs back into his own penalty box or trying to be a playmaker in midfield.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
One burning question.

Why was he wearing a long sleeved top under his shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.