We aren't great, but let's not pretend....

AlwaysRed66

We score two penalties and we are top of the league.

I’m really happy with how we’ve played this year,
If Chelsea hadn't hit the bar & took their chances against us they could have been strolling to victory, & starting off with a good win. It is all ifs & buts. If you & others are happy we can hardly create any chances, & put your head in the sands it will be all right with some luck then I wish your optimism. Back to reality, things are not so straightforward. A manager whose main quality is passion will only get us so far. Where are his tactics.

Bestietom

Ole needs to get his tactics and system right, firstly.
Pogba and Mctominay do not compliment each other playing in the 2
Lingard is not a number 10, and we need one ASAP
Pogba would suit us better playing as a roaming number 10, atm

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If Chelsea hadn't hit the bar & took their chances against us they could have been strolling to victory, & starting off with a good win. It is all ifs & buts. If you & others are happy we can hardly create any chances, & put your head in the sands it will be all right with some luck then I wish your optimism. Back to reality, things are not so straightforward. A manager whose main quality is passion will only get us so far. Where are his tactics.
We created three penalties, a goal, a time when we were through on goal and should have had a red card, James missed two good chances and we came close with two free kicks.

We made plenty of chances that game.

redshaw

Yes it's too early yet, we'll get a better idea in 10 games. We had the best new manager run ever and our worst run since the 60s back to back

The end to last season was quite something and it's easy to think this is Ole's form but we've shown good play, have a new defence to settle while the end of last season they just folded.

We still need to get Fred back, we'll need him since Herrera has gone.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ole needs to get his tactics and system right, firstly.
Pogba and Mctominay do not compliment each other playing in the 2
Lingard is not a number 10, and we need one ASAP
Pogba would suit us better playing as a roaming number 10, atm
IMO we need to switch to 4-3-3 with Pogba being the furthest forward. We don't have the players for 4-2-3-1 which is heavily dependent on a #10 to pull the strings and link midfield with attack.

Playing 4-2-3-1 and giving Lingard that key role makes absolutely no sense at all.

kiristao

I agree with the opening post. We definitely are not as bad as people here are making it out to be nor are we as good as we were made out to be after the Chelsea result. In fact, we have had 3 freak results where IMO, all 3 games should have gone in the other direction.
The EPL is much tougher now. Just last night, the team most of the Caf expects to finish 3rd this year with a Manager that a lot of people wanted at United lost at home to Newcastle with just 2 shots on target the whole game.
We have a few areas we need to improve for sure. The key points for me are
1) Figure out Pogba's best position and build from there as he is head and shoulders better than the rest of our players.
2) Pogba and Mctominay are sure starters for me. Need to figure out who the 3rd one should be as Lingard has not been the most effective in that role. I would push Pogba further up and play Fred or Periera alongside Mctominay against teams that sit deep and play our current formation with Lingard at 10 and Pogba behind when we want to play on the counter.
3) DDG needs to sort his head out. He has been making a few mistakes recently. We cannot afford him to slip up after we have shored up the defense.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Those that are saying to stop playing Pogba deep are wrong, hes been in good form so far this season. Give Andreas a shot alongside Pogba and McT, Alternatively throw Gomes into the Lions den, but its sink or swim.
Its not about Pogba's form, it's about the player in #10 position not contributing anything.

AlwaysRed66

We created three penalties, a goal, a time when we were through on goal and should have had a red card, James missed two good chances and we came close with two free kicks.

We made plenty of chances that game.
Are you talking about the Chelsea game or Palace one. I certainly don't remember any of this in former so must be the latter, though none of these were clear. Two shots on target against Wolves & three against Palace is hardly plenty. Our manager hasn't a clue except constantly playing a bloke who hasn't scored or assisted this year.

Judas

Open to offers
Can people stop with that? Absolute nonsens! Why not take every game with Solskjaer as manager? Why jump over pre season? Taking facts out of context and putting them to suit own agenda is easy.
You know you have reasons to be worried when people are scrambling for us to not ignore utterly pointless pre-season games :lol:

Bestietom

IMO we need to switch to 4-3-3 with Pogba being the furthest forward. We don't have the players for 4-2-3-1 which is heavily dependent on a #10 to pull the strings and link midfield with attack.

Playing 4-2-3-1 and giving Lingard that key role makes absolutely no sense at all.
I agree. Pogba needs to be pushed further forward. he is the only one we have who can score and open up defences in this position.

AlwaysRed66

That's the 2nd post about preseason I'm reading now. Am I missing something ? fecking preseason is considered seriously by some :lol: ?
Only by clueless individuals :lol: All pre season should be for is trying out tactics & getting players fit, because you cannot access the ability of a player in matches that have no relevance to competitive games. Do you remember how great Fred, Perriera & Sanchez were in pre-season, & followed that up with great performances throughout the season. No, neither can I.

jem

That we are as poor as some on here are suggesting. Do we have issues in this team? Absolutely. Are we lacking quality in certain areas? Yes.

But if we take a step back and analyze our last 2 games, we'll see it isn't all doom and gloom. Over the last 2 games we conceded 3 goals but I don't remember the opponents having loads of chances. Wolves had probably one good attack apart from the goal and Palace had again one shot by Zaha, apart from the goals. Both of Palace's goals resulted from individual errors by Lindelof and De Gea respectively (you could argue Pogba shouldn't be losing the ball but that's another individual error), rather than our system getting sliced apart defensively.

Offensively, we have struggled in the last 2 games, no two ways about it. Against Wolves, bar the goal and penalty, I don't remember any meaningful chance and against Palace too we should have created more. But having said that, if those 2 missed penalties go in, or if the ref gives a stonewall penalty for the tackle on Martial, we are looking at very different results. Again, I concede we should not be dependent on penalties to beat the likes of Palace, but even great sides need these slices of luck from time to time.

Now there are certain issues that can be addressed in the short term, but there are certain that cannot. For instance in the 1st half yesterday, we had James go down for an injury and stop the game, followed a few minutes later by Shaw doing the same. These stoppages both occurred around the 20 min mark, just as we were starting to build up some momentum and played right into Palace's hands. A team that is coming here to defend will welcome these little stoppages and its upto the players on the field to see through it. An experienced side will be aware of how these stoppages can lead to a lapse in concentration and this exactly what happened with their first goal. I'm willing to bet a SAF side doesn't concede that goal because the players would have asked the injured guy to get off the field to receive treatment so as not to stop the game just as you are trying to put the screw in. Its better to play with 10 men for a couple of minutes as it forces the players to up their concentration levels rather than stop and break their focus. But these little things come from experience and we lack that in our side and these little mistakes, such as allowing the opposing side to slow the game through their tactics will continue to frustrate us this season and its not something we'll get a short term solution.

Another problem that can't really be addressed is the lack of quality in that no. 10 role. For whatever reason we didn't buy a CAM and we will suffer in breaking defensive sides down if we don't get a early goal. To that end I get why Lingard plays, to try and harry the opponents into making a mistake, but its more of a hail mary rather than a long term strategy. If we play Pogba further afield, we lose creativity from deep, its an area there's really no short term solution to until we dip into the transfer market.

But having listed all these issues, its encouraging to see us trying to find a way around them. We are trying to make the pitch as wide as possible with James and Rashford and even though they are both inconsistent, they do create moments of quality from time to time that leads to chances. As long as we keep the back door shut (which we seem to be doing for the most part) we will eventually get our attacking patterns right and there were evidences of that happening in the 2nd half.

Its hard to feel positive following yesterday's result, but there's fine margins in a game and while being great means being able to ride a wave of bad luck without your results suffering, we all know we aren't a great side yet. But the form of Martial, James, Pogba and our defense does give me confidence we will be getting things right soon. Yes we struggled at times in the last 2 games, but still created enough to win and that gives me hope we aren't as poor a side we are being made out to be and we will turn this corner if we stay confident in the approach we have adopted.
Excellent post, and has gone some way towards cheering me up a bit. Incidentally, I was in Barcelona for the weekend (sneaky checks of the game on my phone while touring the Sagrada Familia.) Beautiful city, but my god was it hot on Saturday!

OrcaFat

@King7Eric what does any of that matter? It's not one off or two off games. We've become consistent in not just not beating clubs at the bottom of the table but losing to them. We have won 3 of the last 16.

That is all feckin doom and gloom because all the same patterns and mistakes are there. Get rid of Lingard. Stop playing Paul so deep. Get a feckin dof. Fire that despicable ceo. Oust the owners.
The quality of our play is significantly better in the last three games than in the previous twelve.

Fair point about Lingard and Pogba but I doubt the available alternatives would be better.

I’m happy with the progress we’re making.

OrcaFat

I agree with the opening post. We definitely are not as bad as people here are making it out to be nor are we as good as we were made out to be after the Chelsea result. In fact, we have had 3 freak results where IMO, all 3 games should have gone in the other direction.
The EPL is much tougher now. Just last night, the team most of the Caf expects to finish 3rd this year with a Manager that a lot of people wanted at United lost at home to Newcastle with just 2 shots on target the whole game.
We have a few areas we need to improve for sure. The key points for me are
1) Figure out Pogba's best position and build from there as he is head and shoulders better than the rest of our players.
2) Pogba and Mctominay are sure starters for me. Need to figure out who the 3rd one should be as Lingard has not been the most effective in that role. I would push Pogba further up and play Fred or Periera alongside Mctominay against teams that sit deep and play our current formation with Lingard at 10 and Pogba behind when we want to play on the counter.
3) DDG needs to sort his head out. He has been making a few mistakes recently. We cannot afford him to slip up after we have shored up the defense.
Good points there. Probably Pogba will leave before long but let’s get more out of him while he’s here.

I agree Lingard is not playing well enough but he has some qualities and not sure we have anyone better. Maybe just swapping Pogba and Lingard is worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

koop

Yes we are. It's always going to be slightly frustrating to be on 4 points when it really should be 9, but if we can take anything from the opening 3 rounds of the PL then it's this:

Liverpool and City aside, every single other team in this league are going to get beaten a fair amount. This is a strong league.

This is the part that tests how full of shit our fanbase is. Before the season it was accepted that we are a work in progress. Building something. Guess what - 'works in progress' lose games that they should win. They make mistakes. If they didn't, they would be a finished article.

It still won't stop those same fans from losing their minds and calling for change every time we don't win a match, and it will continue on and on all season. Barring a percentage of posters that understand this, this forum has sadly become a little toxic.

I've enjoyed watching our games so far. I like this team. It feels like all of the mercenaries are gone and I can get behind this group of players. I think we'll get better as the season goes on.
Completely agree.

It's obviously hard to not get upset when we lose games you think we should of won, and being realistic we should of won against Wolves and Palace, easily. Compare it to last season where we struggled to win games at all.
We are playing a lot better than we were last season, but still struggling in the final 3rd, as we were last season aswell.

BUT work in progress is exactly that, work in progress. I'm already happy with what Ole has done so far and he needs another window or 2 to address other issues.

cyberman

Its got nothing to do with tactics. His tactics have seen us set up for three wins if not for individual mistakes in missing pens and De fecking Gea.
You're all reading too much into this. we haven't got the same problems as last year at all IMO.

Fosu-Mens

Its got nothing to do with tactics. His tactics have seen us set up for three wins if not for individual mistakes in missing pens and De fecking Gea.
You're all reading too much into this. we haven't got the same problems as last year at all IMO.
Because we are now able to play against balanced defences? Are we now able to play the ball out of defence without resorting to risky passes?

At least we are in better condition compared to last year, and we try to press high.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Are you talking about the Chelsea game or Palace one. I certainly don't remember any of this in former so must be the latter, though none of these were clear. Two shots on target against Wolves & three against Palace is hardly plenty. Our manager hasn't a clue except constantly playing a bloke who hasn't scored or assisted this year.
We had plenty of chances against Palace that doesn’t count as a shot on target. For example we made a chance where Martial is through one on one that isn’t a shot on target. We made more than enough chances to score against Palace.

cyberman

Because we are now able to play against balanced defences? Are we now able to play the ball out of defence without resorting to risky passes?

At least we are in better condition compared to last year, and we try to press high.
Because we have midfielders running ahead of play who have earned us two pens. We press high and keep the ball to the point there's entire halves that Wolves and Palace couldn't get out of their own half. Our FBs are overlapping and getting to the byline, we are pressing higher and have sorted out how to use Martial and cover his flaws.
James is offering us balance non the right side so our play isn't getting congested through the middle.
We have problems yes, of course we do we are a work in progress, but pretending we are just carrying on from last year is ridiculous IMO.

Strelok

Most of if not all agreed that Lingard is shit as a 10 but what alternatives do we have here?

Playing Pogba there means we have no one to carry the ball forward or distribute. Plus Pogba always needs some space to operate with his slow style, look at all the great number 10 and they are all very quick & great in tidy space. Imho Pogba is not a 10.
Pereira there won't be any better than Lingard bar a few long shots, he's slower and weaker also could not hold the ball under pressure.

Gomes ? Maybe two years more depends how his physic would develope.
Greenwood? He's too green and he's a striker.

Anyway, I think the current system is only good for counter attacking play. I'd rather have a 433 where Mc Tom as a holding, drive Pogba forward as a left CM (his favorite pos), right one should be Perreira as he can cross. Play the trio Rashford, Martial plus Greenwood on the right (he can shoot) up top would significantly boost our goal scoring in matches like one with Palace.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Excellent post, and has gone some way towards cheering me up a bit. Incidentally, I was in Barcelona for the weekend (sneaky checks of the game on my phone while touring the Sagrada Familia.) Beautiful city, but my god was it hot on Saturday!
If you found Saturday hot, then count your lucky stars you didn't visit it in July. I'm from India and even I found it too hot, I can only imagine how it would have affected a Canadian.

Andersons Dietician

Most of if not all agreed that Lingard is shit as a 10 but what alternatives do we have here?
This is a big thing. Generally it’s probably the most important position in Oles current system and unfortunately he doesn’t have the player to be able to fill it. Honestly think replace Lingard with someone good and that would be the single biggest improvement on this team anyone could do.
Playing Pogba there means we have no one to carry the ball forward or distribute. Plus Pogba always needs some space to operate with his slow style, look at all the great number 10 and they are all very quick & great in tidy space. Imho Pogba is not a 10.
Pereira there won't be any better than Lingard bar a few long shots, he's slower and weaker also could not hold the ball under pressure.
I fully agree on your point with Pogba. I do think he is better picking the ball up from deep but this isn’t to say he can’t do the role of a 10 I just don’t think that would get the best out of him. Honestly I’m starting to think we should stick Fred in at the 10 position as he can give us everything Lingard does but is more confident in his passing and seems willing to take on the important pass.

Anyway, I think the current system is only good for counter attacking play. I'd rather have a 433 where Mc Tom as a holding, drive Pogba forward as a left CM (his favorite pos), right one should be Perreira as he can cross. Play the trio Rashford, Martial plus Greenwood on the right (he can shoot) up top would significantly boost our goal scoring in matches like one with Palace
Watching us through pre-season and the things we were working on it’s a bit weird that it hasn’t really been implemented in any of the games. I mean I suppose not pressing Chelsea that much was due to how spread and open they were and I guess you could say against Wolves and Palace they were so compact we really couldn’t do it and the 1 time we did have a chance and do it we got the ball back.

Anyway it’s clear to see we are by no means perfect, we are working on things and trying to do stuff but in the 3 games I think their are signs that something is happening and it might just come down to a few replacements in key roles.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
wasn't this all the rage last season? where are people talking about this now as we are doing well in those terms?
Can’t quite work out what your sentence is supposed to mean, but I’ve been consistently interested in xG for years.

Nikelesh Reddy

Some people keep forgetting that we were so great in preseason. They should give us a trophy for that. The preseason cup.
We had a great preseason when LVG took over as well...Expectations were sky high until the opening day of the season....and then reality quickly sunk in....

Joseunited

Ole isn't stupid, it won't be long (probably this weekend) before we see Lingard dropped.It's all about getting the right players playing in the right position.Not happy about losing at home to Palace but it was a proper smash and grab(Newcastle yesterday) but we are playing better than the back end of last season and results will show that.

90 + 5min

Eh... that's the fact mate.

Should we just reset the counter after every lost?
It is fact. But it is taking out pieces out of something bigger for your own agenda. If you want to talk about his performences then you got to take everything he has done. Why just taking out games from one period? Because it suits this whole AntiOle agenda.

Because it doesn’t count for shiit.
Neither does the last season. So why bring it up? This season is this season. Last season is last season.

I'm not happy with results but nobody can say that we didn't deserve 3 points against Crystal Palace and Wolverhampton. We were just unlucky. Give Ole 10-15 games and lets see where we stand. Then evaluate. We got young team and progress takes time. Unfortunately we are living in a society where people don't have patience and are demending results immediately.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is fact. But it is taking out pieces out of something bigger for your own agenda. If you want to talk about his performences then you got to take everything he has done. Why just taking out games from one period? Because it suits this whole AntiOle agenda.

Neither does the last season. So why bring it up? This season is this season. Last season is last season.

I'm not happy with results but nobody can say that we didn't deserve 3 points against Crystal Palace and Wolverhampton. We were just unlucky. Give Ole 10-15 games and lets see where we stand. Then evaluate. We got young team and progress takes time. Unfortunately we are living in a society where people don't have patience and are demending results immediately.
Dont pull those agenda card mate.

I'm backing him against poch last year. Just calling it as it is.

sem

Yes, i do agree we are not great anymore, we totally lost our fear factor

Amerifan

We arent great but...................ffs we have won 3 of the last 16 games, where even is the discussion our run of form is absolutely appalling and a couple more losses and the heads and attitude will drop and we will be back in the free fall of last season.
This arbitrary starting point of 3 in 16 isn’t proving anything. Count all of last season as last season, all of pre-season as pre-season, and all of this season as this season. Then ignore the first two. All that matters is this season.

Foxbatt

Yes but we should be beating teams like Palace and Wolves. And we were lucky to win against Chelsea too as they hit the bar twice and David pulled off a massive save too. When we need luck to beat teams like Palace and Wolves is when we have to start worrying. Also how can a two man midfield that consists of Scott McTominay and Pogba play against a 5 man midfield that has better players than McTominay?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
3 in 15 is pretty bad.
It's not bad Luck that we have 3 wins in 15.
@King7EricWe've become consistent in not just not beating clubs at the bottom of the table but losing to them. We have won 3 of the last 16.
We arent great but...................ffs we have won 3 of the last 16 games
Why does everyone insist on judging Ole's record from such a bad perspective, you can pick a starting point anywhere...

For instance from Ole's first game (just premiership games) seems fairer you've won 12 from 20 - that would have put you 5th after 20 games last season three points behind Chelsea in 4th and 7 points behind City.

Or go from the beginning of this season ... you're above Spurs and Chelsea, you've already beaten a top 6 rival and played at one of the more difficult away grounds in the league. You're 5th and 1 point off 4th.

Or why not pick the last 9? There's only one win there.

If you randomly pick points to start your good or bad run you can prove anything. Do it season by season, it's the only true way to see how the team is doing, in other words wait till Christmas before writing anyone off.

Also if you want to count the last 16 games properly (not including preseason) it's 5 wins, not great, but again better than everyone wants to believe.

1. MU 1 - CP 2 ------------- L
  2. Wolves 1 - MU 1 -------- D
  3. MU 4 - Chelsea 0 ------- W
  4. MU 0 - Cardiff 2 --------- L
  5. Huddersfield 1 - MU 1 --- D
  6. MU 1 - Chelsea 1 -------- D
  7. MU 0 - City 2 ------------- L
  8. Everton 4 - MU 0 -------- L
  9. Barca 3 - MU 0 ----------- L
  10. MU 2 - WH 1 ------------- W
  11. MU 0 - Barca 1 ----------- L
  12. MU 2 - Watford 1 --------- W
  13. Wolves 2 - MU 1 ---------- L
  14. Arse - 2 - MU 0 ----------- L
  15. PSG 1 - MU 3 ------------- W
  16. MU 3 - Soton 2 ----------- W

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why does everyone insist on judging Ole's record from such a bad perspective, you can pick a starting point anywhere...

For instance from Ole's first game (just premiership games) seems fairer you've won 12 from 20 - that would have put you 5th after 20 games last season three points behind Chelsea in 4th and 7 points behind City.

Or go from the beginning of this season ... you're above Spurs and Chelsea, you've already beaten a top 6 rival and played at one of the more difficult away grounds in the league. You're 5th and 1 point off 4th.

If you randomly pick points to start your good or bad run you can prove anything. Do it season by season, it's the only true way to see how the team is doing, in other words wait till Christmas before writing anyone off.

Also if you want to count the last 16 games properly (not including preseason) it's 5 wins, not great, but again better than everyone wants to believe.

Put them all together we're still midtable materials.

NJM78

With the fixtures coming up I will be surprised if we have 10 points by the end of September.

We are seriously flawed in midfield and attack and under Ole the players have proven that when the chips are down they continue to slump.

This team is certainly not great and if we finish 6th again with what is a weaker squad than the start of 18/19, I think it will be a decent season.

Greck

People cite the record because it's an uninterrupted poor run of form we've yet to break out of. It's not a totally arbitrary marker people invented to make him look worse

90 + 5min

You know you have reasons to be worried when people are scrambling for us to not ignore utterly pointless pre-season games :lol:
That's the 2nd post about preseason I'm reading now. Am I missing something ? fecking preseason is considered seriously by some :lol: ?
The reason for mentioning preseason was those nonsens post about last year. What happened last year has nothing to do this year. Stop taking out sentences out of its meaning.

Only by clueless individuals :lol: All pre season should be for is trying out tactics & getting players fit, because you cannot access the ability of a player in matches that have no relevance to competitive games. Do you remember how great Fred, Perriera & Sanchez were in pre-season, & followed that up with great performances throughout the season. No, neither can I.
No need for that. Everyone has right to their opinion.

NJM78

Sorry to be pedantic but we actually won 4 in 16 as you missed the second Wolves game and defeat. One in league and FA Cup.

So 9 losses 4 wins 3 draws.

Grim stats either way.