We Need To Talk About Mane

Stacks

Yes you need to look at the context in which Bale made those runs, most of his greatest runs have come on the counter attack and like I said he is a superior goal threat to Mane and thus is more likely to have a superb finish at the end of those lung busting runs.

That said, Mane has ridiculous amount of insane slaloming runs in every game and does so in both counter attacking and possession based situations and also where very close footwork is needed in tight situations.. an area where Bale has been known to struggle in.

No one is saying Mane is better than Bale at his very peak - already said I doubt Mane can hit peak Bale but his game is less reliant on the pure athleticism of Bale as he has better footballing brain in terms of passing ability, can move across the pitch very fluidly operating as a 10 as well as out wide and he has more skill in his locker to beat defenders from a standing start.

Right now Mane is for me the better wideman unless Bale recovers his physical attributes of yesteryear.
You are ignoring that Mane is also lightning quick which is a vital part of his game. Everyone looks technically better when fit and firing.

redflair

And this is the player that Ronnie Koeman wasn't picking regularly as a starter for Saints.

I could tell then, when he tore Chelsea a new one at the Bridge, he looked like a top player.

Koeman, actually, inadvertently helped Liverpool out by not rating him as high as he should have done. It kept his price sensible.

He's also one of the reasons (to a lesser extent Salah) that Liverpool's defenders are on their backsides most of the times in games; they have to deal with his lightning pace and trickery in training.

(ok, the Liverpool defence might just not be very good, but that's another theory)

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Yeah you are right it wasn't us. It was Liverpool who was linked to both and they made the right choice.
Mkhitaryan was linked with Liverpool when he moved to Dortmund, when ManUtd signed him Arsenal were linked with him.

Zoo

Yeah you are right it wasn't us. It was Liverpool who was linked to both and they made the right choice.
Wrong again, they made no choice. Mkhitaryan rejected them in 2013.

Treble

Mane's output for Liverpool in the league is 16 goals in 31 apps. That's a great return for a wide forward. I expect the goal to apps ratio to get better this season.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Still weird to find Liverpool a joy to watch, in my view, but not as bad I suppose.
City and Liverpool have no historic rivalry. It would be like one of us saying Everton are playing good football on a Liverpool forum.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think I was one the biggest advocates of signing him under lvg so gutted he signed for Liverpool. Hope he moves on asap from Liverpool.

TheReligion

Abusive

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Mané's been brilliant with the last twelve months but I'm continually astounded that opposition teams play to his strengths every single time. He's got blistering pace yet they insist on leaving him 1v1 against an exposed defender with acres in behind to run into. I know most teams haven't got natural man-markers in their squads but it's amazing how most teams don't seem to prepare for him and just head out and see what happens. Mourinho, to our relief, wouldn't allow that on his watch. No chance. Darmian, for one, would be ready-made for a job on Mané.

Treble

Mané's been brilliant with the last twelve months but I'm continually astounded that opposition teams play to his strengths every single time. He's got blistering pace yet they insist on leaving him 1v1 against an exposed defender with acres in behind to run into. I know most teams haven't got natural man-markers in their squads but it's amazing how most teams don't seem to prepare for him and just head out and see what happens. Mourinho, to our relief, wouldn't allow that on his watch. No chance. Darmian, for one, would be ready-made for a job on Mané.
Mane will play vs Valencia. Darmian/Blind vs Salah.

Treble

It's difficult to give credit to a Liverpool player.

I remember that halfway through that season (13-14) many United fans still believed that Rooney isn't worse than Suarez...

I'm not saying that he may reach Suarez' heights for Liverpool. The latter had more in his locker, especially in the box. But Mane could easily end up being one of the top top players of the season if he scores 20 + league goals from a wide position. Doesn't seem impossible right now.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They'd have been stupid not to sign him after he tore them to shreds. Scored a hat-trick I believe.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It's not deliberate. It's just he has a tool in his locker that renders even a parked bus useless at times. The ability he has to accelerate from a standing start is what makes him so devastating, even if there's little space in behind you, once he's slowed you down and utilised it he's around you before you can do anything and his strength either forces you to let him go and hope that his final ball is saved/blocked or bring him down.
We're very lucky to have him and he can improve even further once we have better combinations in midfield.

RedCurry

It's not deliberate. It's just he has a tool in his locker that renders even a parked bus useless at times. The ability he has to accelerate from a standing start is what makes him so devastating, even if there's little space in behind you, once he's slowed you down and utilised it he's around you before you can do anything and his strength either forces you to let him go and hope that his final ball is saved/blocked or bring him down.
We're very lucky to have him and he can improve even further once we have better combinations in midfield.
Well as an opposition you just have to mark both his options of going outside or cutting inside. You just can't leave him one-on-one with a fullback. A midfielder/winger has to come back and block him from cutting inside. Easier said than done, but against Hoffenheim Mane had about 35 yards to sprint for most part of the game. Same against Arsenal. I think that's what @Buchan is referring to.

Redlyn

Wrong again, they made no choice. Mkhitaryan rejected them in 2013.
I am talking about 2016. There are numerous direct quotes from Klopp explaining he chose to go for mane rather than rival us for mhki.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Well as an opposition you just have to mark both his options of going outside or cutting inside. You just can't leave him one-on-one with a fullback. A midfielder/winger has to come back and block him from cutting inside. Easier said than done, but against Hoffenheim Mane had about 35 yards to sprint for most part of the game. Same against Arsenal. I think that's what @Buchan is referring to.
Oh that's true definitely, Hoffenheim and Arsenal are two sides who wanted to play football although one was much more impressive than the other. Doubling up could work but then you leave space for another player. He's the one who makes the system work, without him we would look toothless quite often, but the players he creates space for in that scenario can hurt you too. It's a double edged sword, it would work in certain games but in others it's more likely to create as many problems as it solves.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I wonder how many people wanking over Mane in this thread are the same ones that were saying he was shite when he was strongly linked to us just prior to joining Liverpool.

RedCurry

Oh that's true definitely, Hoffenheim and Arsenal are two sides who wanted to play football although one was much more impressive than the other. Doubling up could work but then you leave space for another player. He's the one who makes the system work, without him we would look toothless quite often, but the players he creates space for in that scenario can hurt you too. It's a double edged sword, it would work in certain games but in others it's more likely to create as many problems as it solves.
In a fully functional team, the space created by Mane would be exploited by fullbacks and midfielders. Not sure I would be too worried about leaving Moreno or Can unmarked. Besides, the teams that tend to park the bus would defend with absolutely every player which means you don't necessarily leave any spaces open even if you double mark Mane.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Are you a United fan?
Nope, I'm a City fan. He's a good player, I like watching good players so while he's in the league I'll enjoy him.

A lot of Liverpool fans rate him in that top bracket, not far behind Messi/Ronaldo. I still need to see more of him I think.
I wouldn't put him in that bracket just yet either. He's certainly one of the best wide players in the premiership though.

Well Liverpool have shown this summer that they do not have to sell if they don't want to. Plus with 3 years left on his contract after this one, he isn't going to go anyway for a long while.
Hope so. Would be a shame for the league to lose him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Let's calm down a bit fellas. He's very good but not special (yet!).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Agree on the last point but have also seen Liverpool bogged down whenever teams go to Anfield.. and he's the only player who consistently looks threatening. Big player in the making.. he is already outgrowing the club. Because of his nationality he's not seen as the sexiest name at Liverpool but I bet you their fans would keep him over Coutinho any day of the week.
Shit. Everyone's noticing now. :(

I was hoping he'd continue to be seen as an above average player playing for an above average team but that cover looks well blown now. Even among the most myopic (that's not aimed at you Raees).

The Coutinho smoke and mirror trick is beginning to clear. Sadly.

themoyesboy

He's the perfect premier league player in terms of pace, aggression, strength, and work ethic. Those attributes coupled with technical ability making him one of the top EPL players without doubt. But I'm not sure he'd be well suited to other top european leagues.

I will admit I didn't care when Liverpool signed him. Now I cry that we didn't get him. He's the only Liverpool player I'd want though, the rest of them are shit.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
While I don't see him as a Barca/Real calibre player I can see him fancying a move within the PL, perhaps Chelsea. Pedro/Willian are good but I think Chelsea would gladly have Mane instead of those 2.