We Need To Talk About Mane

Steven Seagull

There's a lot more to his game than I ever gave him credit for when he was at Southampton.

He also plays with an intensity that I love to see in attacking players. Seems a basic attribute but it's so difficult playing against somebody who simply will not stop until you've been destroyed

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Thank god we managed to get his pal Keita in for next season. He's our best player and it's even more impressive considering the way he just bounced back from that injury against the bitters in April, can't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

Aza Boy

See the fact, we are above Liverpool. Klopp does not have any B plan. Just neutralize Salah and Mane, their game will be dull.

And Mane is not WC, he is just fast. Not gonna last for long. Walcott for example

redom

Really surprised at how great he's been and that he's well on his way to establish himself as our most important player. While I thought he was a good buy, I never expected him to be this good.
I'm in a similar boat, I was disappointed to see him go to you as I thought he'd be a solid signing but to be honest I thought he'd be more erratic. However, he's become a near constant threat for you and adds an extra dimension to your attack, his end product is generally very good. I just hope Salah doesn't turn out the same way, from what I've seen so far he looks to be a bit more wasteful than Mane when it really matters.

GazTheLegend

He's a world class footballer in the making. The tier below Neymar in terms of left wingers but up there with best of the rest. How I wish we had him at left wing instead of Martial and Rashford.
What the actual feck

I mean - Mane is class and Sevilla is a good side and all - But I distinctly recall watching Martial destroy Germany for France and terrorise real madrid in the super cup. Didn't make him neymar tier.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
I remember a lot on here thinking we did the better business signing Depay for £25m rather than Mane for £34m.
Fortunately the fee was a little higher, at £34.5 + £4m of add ons that apparently are very easy to meet. Just imagine if we had held on for one more year and sold him this season. Would have added another £30-40m on top.

If I am honest, I was a lurker on this forum at the time he played for us and I couldn't understand the slightly blazé attitude of the Utd supporters as to me it was clear that he was something special. Of all the players we have sold, he is the one that I would have back first. I'd swap van Dijk for him :) Since he's gone, we've been pretty average to say the least.

Still at least I have memories of a sub 3 minute hattrick and coming back from a right old tonking by Liverpool first half to beat them 3-2 with a couple of goals in the last 5 minutes

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What the actual feck

I mean - Mane is class and Sevilla is a good side and all - But I distinctly recall watching Martial destroy Germany for France and terrorise real madrid in the super cup. Didn't make him neymar tier.
Has Mane had the chance to play for a nation like France or faced Real Madrid?

Remember him playing in a friendly against Barca during his first pre season and doing exceptionally well. So your point is moot.

Seems like this thread is attracting some downright clowns.. Ji Sung Park? Jesus wept.

GazTheLegend

Has Mane had the chance to play for a nation like France or faced Real Madrid?

Remember him playing in a friendly against Barca during his first pre season and doing exceptionally well. So your point is moot.

Seems like this thread is attracting some downright clowns.. Ji Sung Park? Jesus wept.
Rofl

you're calling people clowns for not considering Mane world class based on one great game vs Sevilla?

And then suggesting that Rashford or Martial are somehow so awful that you wish they were replaced by the guy?

You might have had a case if you'd said Valencia or Lingard.

You're being rawkish

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
But you could argue that rashford and martial are not proper wingers and more of a strikers who could play on the left as wingers. Mane is an out and out winger.

Also Martial would have the same effect in a posession based total football philosophy LVG and klopp has compared to what mourinho is asking from him which is different to his natural game. But mane 's natural game suits any philosophy out there.
Yup of course that has to be taken into account as they're playing out of their natural position but similarly Mane started out as a number 10? And has adapted to the wider positions and is producing a very high level consistently and technically is much more consistent and has greater range in his ball carrying and passing threat than either of those two.

Right now he's the real deal and those two still have it all to prove but they have age on their side and the potential to be superior goal threats but equally they may not reach his current level - it is not as certain as some like to think. Both have had stinkers already this season where they don't look United quality and in other games they're our biggest threat whereas Mane is constantly Liverpools biggest threat in every game as well as helping them to control possession.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Rofl

you're calling people clowns for not considering Mane world class based on one great game vs Sevilla?

And then suggesting that Rashford or Martial are somehow so awful that you wish they were replaced by the guy?

You might have had a case if you'd said Valencia or Lingard.

This is rawkish
No the clown comment wasn't aimed at you so calm down. Your post was a reasonable one.

Stacks

He doesn't need to have a season like Bale at Spurs.. Bale is a better goalscorer but Mane has superior ball carrying ability and can tun defence into attack more often as he has better footwork/agility and close control/slide through passing on the run.

I don't think Mane can hit Bale's peak, but I can see him being a Riberyesque game-changer on the flank for a big side, who whilst not hitting great numbers statistically has a profound influence over the flow of any given game.
Bale could run the length of the pitch with the ball. He carried the ball from halfway and converted, vs both United and Arsenal. He did something similar in the cup final vs Barca. you must've forgot. My mate is a SPurs season ticket holder and he said in Spurs last season the players just passed him the ball anywhere and let him carry them as he looked like he was playing against kids. Not even comparable.

What a player.

Just watching a replay of Liverpool v Sevilla.

Liverpool bummed them but drew
They really didn't. Thought Liverpool were wank in the second half especially, and Correa was the best player on the pitch.

If that second half was "being bummed" I'm beyond confused at the meaning.

On topic though, Mane is absolutely superb, Liverpool's best player.

Mane has superior ball carrying ability and can tun defence into attack more often as he has better footwork/agility and close control/slide through passing on the run.
Nar, I think Mane is incredible but you're having a mare with this statement.

No one was better than turning defence into attack than Bale in his prime, just look at his goals v. United, Barca, his Inter hat-trick etc. etc.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bale could run the length of the pitch with the ball. He carried the ball from halfway and converted, vs both United and Arsenal. He did something similar in the cup final vs Barca. you must've forgot. My mate is a SPurs season ticket holder and he said in Spurs last season the players just passed him the ball anywhere and let him carry them as he looked like he was playing against kids. Not even comparable.
Yes you need to look at the context in which Bale made those runs, most of his greatest runs have come on the counter attack and like I said he is a superior goal threat to Mane and thus is more likely to have a superb finish at the end of those lung busting runs.

That said, Mane has ridiculous amount of insane slaloming runs in every game and does so in both counter attacking and possession based situations and also where very close footwork is needed in tight situations.. an area where Bale has been known to struggle in.

No one is saying Mane is better than Bale at his very peak - already said I doubt Mane can hit peak Bale but his game is less reliant on the pure athleticism of Bale as he has better footballing brain in terms of passing ability, can move across the pitch very fluidly operating as a 10 as well as out wide and he has more skill in his locker to beat defenders from a standing start.

Right now Mane is for me the better wideman unless Bale recovers his physical attributes of yesteryear.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One could argue Mahrez has suffered from a similar sort of discrimination in that respect (albeit I don't rate him as high as Mane) - if he was english, guaranteed would have secured a big move by now.
Don't think so, Mahrez is french. It's just that his progression has been different. He was a nobody who had a career year then dropped back to earth. Mane has been steadily getting better every year

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nar, I think Mane is incredible but you're having a mare with this statement.

No one was better than turning defence into attack than Bale in his prime, just look at his goals v. United, Barca, his Inter hat-trick etc. etc.
Look at my original post.. I spoke about the present right now, Mane is better at carrying the ball in a variety of situations. Already said Prime Bale is a different animal completely.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Which is surely the entire essence of turning defence into attack right @Raees ?
What I meant was passive possession or a non threatening situation into a dangerous one by taking someone on, yes that can also include defence to attack (counter) a situation which prime Bale was top notch at exploiting but from a standing start where most people have to pass back, Mane has that ability to create magic out of very static situations where there is no space ahead of him or lack of movement around him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don't think so, Mahrez is french. It's just that his progression has been different. He was a nobody who had a career year then dropped back to earth. Mane has been steadily getting better every year
Isn't he Algerian? And disagree about him dropping back to earth.. he's still excellent on the ball albeit unlikely to ever hit the numbers again from that year but he would improve all the top squads in EPL.

prtk0811

Yup of course that has to be taken into account as they're playing out of their natural position but similarly Mane started out as a number 10? And has adapted to the wider positions and is producing a very high level consistently and technically is much more consistent and has greater range in his ball carrying and passing threat than either of those two.

Right now he's the real deal and those two still have it all to prove but they have age on their side and the potential to be superior goal threats but equally they may not reach his current level - it is not as certain as some like to think. Both have had stinkers already this season where they don't look United quality and in other games they're our biggest threat whereas Mane is constantly Liverpools biggest threat in every game as well as helping them to control possession.
He's helping them control posession as klopp's philosophy asks him to unlike Jose's. Both were doing pretty well under LVG on that front. But even Lvg was mecanical and had philosophical contrstraints. Martial's ball control is as good as anyone's but Mourinho is asking him to do different things to what mane is being asked to at liverpool.

Definately mane is more accomplished player right now, But Lvg was as good a judge of talents as the likes of ferguson's pep's klopps was or are right now. There is no doubt about rashford's or martial's ability who also targeted mane at his time, And it was the same naive decision of the board to not take the input of outgoing manager.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Isn't he Algerian? And disagree about him dropping back to earth.. he's still excellent on the ball albeit unlikely to ever hit the numbers again from that year but he would improve all the top squads in EPL.
He is Algerian. Shame he hasn't shown the same drive as Mane though. Classic case that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
An absolute beast of a player, Liverpool got him cheap too considering. Pace, power, skill, vision and scores too. Phenomenal talent. Will Liverpool be able to hold him long term is the question. Bayern's Robben and Ribery are getting close to being move on I feel and he could be ideal for them. That said I hope he stays at Liverpool for a long time. He's a joy to watch (as are Liverpool)

prtk0811

Did someone just compare Mane with Park Ji Sung? Or am I still drunk from yesterday?
He has the same energy, creativity ,work rate, Stamina , tenacity and abilities on and off the ball as him. Destroyed defenses pretty eaisily too. But as he played under the shadow of ronaldo's rooney's and giggs in his career he was always pretty underated for what he brought to fergie's team who destroyed arsenal on the counter attack numerous times like mane did last week or in epl in general.

Last edited:

Redlyn

It was him or mkhi if I recall correctly. I know who I'd rather have :(

Ady87

Scored double figure league goals for Southampton two seasons in a row. The guy is a beast, can score from nothing like Sanchez and is genuinely verging world class. He will paper many cracks for Liverpool this season. Being a keen Fantasy Footy enthusiast and having him in my team I watched him like a hawk regularly. He was always this good!

Danny Roberts

I think it's between him and Kane for Player of the Year both at nice odds if you fancy a bet. Rom will have to score a LOT of goals to pip them as he somehow isn't as rated/likeable as a lot of players.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Good player. Wouldn't want to rely on him as the main man though. It would be the equivalent of having Nani lead a title charge.

If they had someone like Suarez playing ahead of him, I'd be more concerned. But I don't think they have enough overall. There'll be a lot of games this season where if Mane doesn't score, Liverpool won't win, and I don't think he's that good (though he'd start at LW for any team in the league, he can't do it all on his own - he's not Ronaldo, or even Sanchez/Hazard level).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Fortunately the fee was a little higher, at £34.5 + £4m of add ons that apparently are very easy to meet. Just imagine if we had held on for one more year and sold him this season. Would have added another £30-40m on top.

If I am honest, I was a lurker on this forum at the time he played for us and I couldn't understand the slightly blazé attitude of the Utd supporters as to me it was clear that he was something special. Of all the players we have sold, he is the one that I would have back first. I'd swap van Dijk for him :) Since he's gone, we've been pretty average to say the least.

Still at least I have memories of a sub 3 minute hattrick and coming back from a right old tonking by Liverpool first half to beat them 3-2 with a couple of goals in the last 5 minutes
Ugh I remember that 3-2 game in Klopp's first season. Joe Allan missed some sitters in the first half and then we fell apart in the second.

Who smashed one in with his left to equalise?

Cliche Guevara

An absolute beast of a player, Liverpool got him cheap too considering. Pace, power, skill, vision and scores too. Phenomenal talent. Will Liverpool be able to hold him long term is the question. Bayern's Robben and Ribery are getting close to being move on I feel and he could be ideal for them. That said I hope he stays at Liverpool for a long time. He's a joy to watch (as are Liverpool)
Are you a United fan?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well Liverpool have shown this summer that they do not have to sell if they don't want to. Plus with 3 years left on his contract after this one, he isn't going to go anyway for a long while.