Westminster Politics

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm just running the dates through in mind but if he calls a vote of no confidence on the first day parliament sits that's 5th September (rumours are Boris will call for a ge on the 4th anyway)

But assuming he calls for a vote on the 5th... The house debates and votes on the 6th

Assuming the motion of no confidence carries the government then have 14 days in which to form new alliences to secure a majority

Assuming that fails we are on September 20th... And then an election is called ... This takes 6 weeks therefore it's November and we have already left with no deal
I don't know the time necessary but I read somewhere that a VONC would have had to have been called before the recess to enable a debate on the date they return (but don't know if that's correct).

What I don't get is why Boris would call an election before Brexit and I suspect Corbyn wants to wait until after Brexit to call a VONC.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't know the time necessary but I read somewhere that a VONC would have had to have been called before the recess to enable a debate on the date they return (but don't know if that's correct).

What I don't get is why Boris would call an election before Brexit and I suspect Corbyn wants to wait until after Brexit to call a VONC.
If you call an election before brexit it becomes a defacto 2nd referendum... Only there is one party that says leave... Several that are remain and one who mutter something about unicorns and Jews...
Basically if the leave vote holds string you get a big majority in first pars the post

An election after brexit... Especially assuming there are some brexit issues over a hard brexit seems a lot harder to win.

And holding power with a majority of one seems a non starter

Politically the best move is blame the EU and the remoaner MP's for blocking the will of the people... Whip up some hate and win a landslide majority

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
If you call an election before brexit it becomes a defacto 2nd referendum... Only there is one party that says leave... Several that are remain and one who mutter something about unicorns and Jews...
Basically if the leave vote holds string you get a big majority in first pars the post

An election after brexit... Especially assuming there are some brexit issues over a hard brexit seems a lot harder to win.

And holding power with a majority of one seems a non starter

Politically the best move is blame the EU and the remoaner MP's for blocking the will of the people... Whip up some hate and win a landslide majority
But if he holds an election beforehand he's got the Brexit Party and the LibDems as adversaries but if he waits until after Brexit the BP is irrelevant, the LibDems on a Remain platform (too late) and poor old dithering Jeremy.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
But if he holds an election beforehand he's got the Brexit Party and the LibDems as adversaries but if he waits until after Brexit the BP is irrelevant, the LibDems on a Remain platform (too late) and poor old dithering Jeremy.
Brexit party have pledged that provided Boris puts no deal on 31st in his manifesto they won't put up any MPs and will campaign for the conservatives

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
When did they say that (would anyone believe a word Farage says )

Saw this
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...encies-amid-fears-of-split-vote-a4205031.html
I heard farrage say it in in choppers podcast

That said he's never got on well with Cummings so there could be a snag there

. “Cummings didn’t want a full Brexit,” Farage told me earlier this week. “For him, the referendum was a means of forcing a Leave vote that would lead to the creation of a sort of associate membership of the EU. I don’t assume that view has changed. He seems now to be instructing Johnson with the line that ‘we are the Conservative Party, we can crush the Brexit Party and hold the pro-Leave ground.’ I think he is mistaken.”
Gut feel though brexit party know the best route to brexit is Boris in power so I think they would come to an agreement... Especially as they possibly don't have the on the ground structure to fight a ge

Smores

I imagine they'll be a lot of politics played over this and it'll be who backs down first. If the Lib Dems refuse to block no deal because it would be Corbyn leading a caretaker government they'll be wiped out.

It's the Tories who may not bend as they'll lose their seats. If it takes a Clarke led government to stop Brexit i hope Labour concede but they should try and force a Labour led government first.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Would be funny if the Lib Dems blow their only chance at redemption.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I honestly don't really know where my vote is going.

Tories - Never
Lib Dems - Seem to be buttering up a colation with the Tories
Labour - Bloody useless and hate Corbyns position on Brexit
Green - Throwaway vote

It's abysmal. I was probably going to vote Lib Dems but Jo Swinson's words since becoming leader doesn't strike me with any confidence. Sigh.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's the Tories who may not bend as they'll lose their seats. If it takes a Clarke led government to stop Brexit i hope Labour concede but they should try and force a Labour led government first.
How about a starmer or Watson led labour government / coalition... Think Corbyn would back down for that?

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy

Tories - Never
Green - Throwaway vote

It's abysmal. I was probably going to vote Lib Dems but Jo Swinson's words since becoming leader doesn't strike me with any confidence. Sigh.
It's simple since you accept that Tories should not be in charge. Vote tactically in your area to keep them out.

There'll be a site up again near election time to advise people on how to vote to achieve just that.

Last edited:

Smores

How about a starmer or Watson led labour government / coalition... Think Corbyn would back down for that?
Don't think Labour would fall for that trap to be honest. Far worse than Clarke or Grieve in my view.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Don't think Labour would fall for that trap to be honest. Far worse than Clarke or Grieve in my view.
So you recon Corbyn would rather let a hard brexit happen than allow an interim government lead by a labour MP take charge becuase said MP might be seen as a Blairite. (I thought they would do anything in their power to prevent a hard Tory brexit)

Is this Standing up not standing by or a straight talking honest politics... its so hard to keep track these days

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm confused by the whole fecking lot of them now. Everybody just seems to be winging it with a vague plan on what to actually do.

Smores

So you recon Corbyn would rather let a hard brexit happen than allow an interim government lead by a labour MP take charge becuase said MP might be seen as a Blairite. (I thought they would do anything in their power to prevent a hard Tory brexit)

Is this Standing up not standing by or a straight talking honest politics... its so hard to keep track these days

It's nothing to do with the blairite thing and more to do how it breaks the way Labour elects leaders and is run. You can't just appoint a leader without the memberships say and keeping Corbyn party leader with Starmer or Watson as a caretaker PM would in the end damage labour due to all the proceeding fallout and backstabbing. It's an obvious mistake.

Clarke and Grieve may as well be independents at this stage. It's neutral territory that doesn't impact any party for or against.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm confused by the whole fecking lot of them now. Everybody just seems to be winging it with a vague plan on what to actually do.
The only person who has a solid plan and the bloodymindedness to stick by it is Dominic Cummins. All other sides are headless chickens

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Tories - Never
Green - Throwaway vote

It's with conundrums like this that I'm glad I'm from the land of haggis and pie in a roll.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Amber Rudd: Don't ignore Parliament over Brexit

She said she was "jealous" of "every single pound" of the £2bn of new money earmarked towards no-deal Brexit preparations and wanted to see more money going towards universal credit and ending the benefits freeze.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49337343

Did that ham sandwich at lunch transport me into an alternate reality, or are the Tories hoping everybody forgets about the last ten years and believes this bullshit?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wish i hadn't wasted the last ten minutes looking at the comments against that article. We're largely a country of feckwits
It's funny because for the last couple of days the highest voted comments on these articles have been pro remain. Suddenly the pro leave ones take over. Just when I thought people were starting to realise how fecked we were, the Brexit supporters or bots pop back up.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Outside Yougov (Comres, Opinium, Survation), looks like a consistent 4-point gap with the Tories at 30ish and Labour at 26ish. Very hefty numbers for the Brexit party (15ish%), which Boris hasn't fully swallowed up yet, and even bigger ones for the LDs(20+%).

4 points is a good gap but not a decisive or secure one. I think the only relevant question in the GE is if Labour can do a better job of mopping up LD votes (or if people vote strategically to beat the Tories), compared to Boris with the Brexit votes. I would put my money on Boris. Further, the Lib Dems have made their distaste for Corbyn's Labour very clear, and without a post-poll alliance, definitely no Labour govt can be formed. Even if they do well enough to exclude the Libs, they will need SNP help which will come with the poison pill of another referendum.

The first bunch of polls after Boris had a 10-point gap and I thought a leadership change was essential for Labour. But that big lead hasn't held, and now I'm not sure.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think in the end, The LDs and Labour will come to some sort of understanding. Might not be something official.

RedChip

So the regression model omitted an important variable - culture/history or whatever - and then he goes on to explain how if you ignore this one important variable, the other variables that were in the model can be used to predict probability of voting tory in the areas where the omitted variable is strong? Well, that is not good analysis, to put it nicely.

Sweet Square

So the regression model omitted an important variable - culture/history or whatever - and then he goes on to explain how if you ignore this one important variable, the other variables that were in the model can be used to predict probability of voting tory in the areas where the omitted variable is strong? Well, that is not good analysis, to put it nicely.
He doesn't really ignore the important variable but say that these places are possible tory wins if the party ''de-toxifying'' its brand (Although in this case I image it actually means toxifying the party with One Nation Toryism)but the downside of this could be losing votes to the Lib Dems.

RedChip

He doesn't really ignore the important variable but say that these places are possible tory wins if the party ''de-toxify'' its brand (Although in this case I image it actually means toxify the party with more One Nation Toryism)but the downside of this could be losing votes to the Lib Dems.
Yeah, I think he is: he is basically saying that a 55-year old plumber who lives in a semi in Wigan should (because of these demographics) really be a Tory voter if only he didn't live in Wigan. But being from Wigan is an important variable, probably more so than being 55, a plumber or living in a semi, because it essentially changes one's background. You would have to do an awful lot of de-toxifying to get over that one, whatever de-toxifying means.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yeah, I think he is: he is basically saying that a 55-year old plumber who lives in a semi in Wigan should (because of these demographics) really be a Tory voter if only he didn't live in Wigan. But being from Wigan is an important variable, probably more so than being 55, a plumber or living in a semi, because it essentially changes one's background. You would have to do an awful lot of de-toxifying to get over that one, whatever de-toxifying means.
He's not ignoring it, he's isolating it. He's saying that that is precisely the variable that the Tories have to overcome (He says as much in post 7/16).

RedChip

He's not ignoring it, he's isolating it. He's saying that that is precisely the variable that the Tories have to overcome (He says as much in post 7/16).
But that's not how predictive models work. The regression model would not predict a 55 year old plumber who lives in Wigan as likely to vote Tory if the living in Wigan part was included in the model. To arrive at his conclusion, you first have to ignore the Wigan part. They are referring to these areas as 'unders' because all the demographics suggest they should vote Tory but that only makes sense of you ignore that key variable, i.e. the area itself.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But that's not how predictive models work. The regression model would not predict a 55 year old plumber who lives in Wigan as likely to vote Tory if the living in Wigan part was included in the model. To arrive at his conclusion, you first have to ignore the Wigan part. They are referring to these areas as 'unders' because all the demographics suggest they should vote Tory but that only makes sense of you ignore that key variable, i.e. the area itself.
The model works very well even as it excludes area. (which he shows in the initial tweets). And given that most welfare and tax schemes will affect people more based on their income than their geographic location (the comparison is between Wigan and another moderately sized place, not London or Manchester or some village), it makes sense that that is what is included in the models.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Had a quick skim at that earlier and thought it was interesting - I wonder how much of this is due to the sheer toxicity of Thatcher's legacy in some parts of the country?

I'm thinking of Scotland specifically here: it wasn't exactly a bastion of Toryism before she came into power and after she left, but the extent to which her legacy damaged the Tory brand up here meant you had Labour/Lib Dems winning seats which, demographically and economically, would go to a conservative party that tends to win in rural areas in most countries. And even though they mounted a recovery in 2017, they were often just about winning seats a conservatively minded party should ideally be sweeping up. I'd imagine it's the same in parts of England where some Labour voters may be willing to defect to BXP (and formerly UKIP) but still can't bring themselves to vote Tory.

RedChip

The model works very well even as it excludes area. (which he shows in the initial tweets). And given that most welfare and tax schemes will affect people more based on their income than their geographic location (the comparison is between Wigan and another moderately sized place, not London or Manchester or some village), it makes sense that that is what is included in the models.
It clearly doesn't. It misclassifies voters based on the demographics, if the area is excluded from the computation. Hence the false conclusion that areas that should be voting Tory don't vote Tory.

A better model would be hierarchical, taking into account the 'area' effect for each constituency as well as the demographics at individual level. You cannot make good predictions on how people are going to vote without accounting for this area effect, which implies the effects of different demographics vary by area. Basically, being 55, a plumber and living in a semi doesn't not influence your likelihood to vote Tory in Wigan in the same way it does in, say, Surbiton.

Also I don't think the 'area' effect is simply economic, as you mention. Here, I agree with him that the area effect is more to do with history and culture than economics.

RedChip

Are you really convinced by that chart? What is it actually showing? What is being predicted and what is the predictor? Have they plotted probability to vote Tory against what? voted Tory? How is the voted Tory on the vertical axis being measured? Shouldn't this be 0 or 1 (didn't vote Tory, voted Tory)?

Seems to me one would be predicting probability to vote Tory in this situation. One would then set a threshold probabality, beyond which one would assume an individual with that probability would vote Tory. If so, then the right way to measure accuracy would be a confusion matrix or a ROC, not an R-square. R-square does not make sense for a binary variable such as this one.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Are you really convinced by that chart? What is it actually showing? What is being predicted and what is the predictor? Have they plotted probability to vote Tory against what? voted Tory? How is the voted Tory on the vertical axis being measured? Shouldn't this be 0 or 1 (didn't vote Tory, voted Tory)?

Seems to me one would be predicting probability to vote Tory in this situation. One would then set a threshold probabality, beyond which one would assume an individual with that probability vote would Tory. If so, then the right way to measure accuracy would be a confusion matrix or a ROC, not an R-square. R-square does not make sense for a binary variable such as this one.
If I had to guess the 0-1 represents voteshare and each point represents a constituency. They are predicting Tory voteshare given their mix of demographic predictors excluding the geographic location, and the thread describes the outliers in the graph and their relation to geographic location.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I imagine they'll be a lot of politics played over this and it'll be who backs down first. If the Lib Dems refuse to block no deal because it would be Corbyn leading a caretaker government they'll be wiped out.

Why would it be Corbyn leading a caretaker government though? Why would the Lib Dems refuse to block no deal? :houllier:

I don't think Corbyn has a strong claim to be leader of a caretaker government. No Tory would vote for Corbyn. So a Corbyn led caretaker government is a no-show.

When Italy had their equivalent of a hung parliament, with the two largest parties (centre-right party "League" and anti-establishment party "five star") not getting enough support to form a government without the other, they eventually settled and put an independent candidate in as PM. (Of course that might be about to collapse, but that's neither here nor there). Corbyn (was) a Eurosceptic and now he's a Euro-gives-a-feck. I give my cat's opinion on Brexit more weight than his.

If there was ever to be a "Stop-No-Deal" caretaker government, it would have to be run by someone respected by enough Labour and Tory MPs (and SNP, and Lib Dems) to temporarily govern.

Keir Starmer, Jo Swinson, Philip Hammond, Rory Stewart, Ruth Davidson, Tom Watson, Yvette Cooper, Justine Greening, Oliver Letwin all have various claims to being the best candidate, all with their own flaws.

Or possibly they could pick a Lord to become PM for the first time in 100 years.

RedChip

If I had to guess the 0-1 represents voteshare and each point represents a constituency. They are predicting Tory voteshare given their mix of demographic predictors excluding the geographic location, and the thread describes the outliers in the graph and their relation to geographic location.
Well, the analysis is even worse than I figured then. Since it must be self evident that the so-called outliers would probably not be outliers if the model added data regarding, for example, historical voting patterns. They are trying to predict an area variable using only data based on the individuals that live there, as if the areas themselves have no important differences. I mean, you wouldn't try to predict the economic growth of towns based only on aggregated data on their residents whilst ignoring important differences in the structure of the economies across the towns, would you?