Westminster Politics

TheGame

I should clarify, I meant in regards to the typical voter who usually has a short journey to their polling booth (mine is a 5 minute walk) to go and put a tick in a box. I don’t know why it’s seen as this thing we should all be annoyed about.

I can see from your perspective it must be a bit of a pain. Does seem something that would be quite interesting to be involved in though!
It is interesting when you are in the midst of a close one and watching events unfold however the main job is to make no cock ups and make sure everything goes to plan.

In terms of voting, even easier to vote with a postal vote. Just complete and post.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Which will only happen in this generation if Labour/LibDem/SNP form a coalition? So not likely.

I think Labours plan to embarrass BJ with failure to leave by 31st October has failed. Its obvious to his supporters that he tried his very best; I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to decimate Brexit Party vote which would give him his majority, especially while Corbyn pisses off the middle age centrist vote.
I still think there is a possibility that he might get a non aggression pact with the brexit party if he can pursuade them to take a small enough slice of the cake - eg they stand in the top 20 labour leave seats
Provided he feels he can get a big enough majority to ensure he does not have to rely on farrage votes it would quite suit him I think - especially if he can keep then to around 10 seats or under (possibly even offer farrage a cushy role as a bung)

Abizzz

Boris is PM and still crying around that someone else isn't delivering brexit. :houllier:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And Govt. lost, so now amendments can be added, which is now very possible to scupper the whole thing.
also rumours the government may pull the whole thing if EU nationals are given the vote
That would make BJ look like a prick. He wants an election, he has to agree to what parliament decides.

Would put an end to his ‘chicken’ rhetoric.

OohAahMartial

Wow Labour backbenchers openly rebelling against Corbyn as he says he's agreeing to an election.

Like riding out to battle as your own army tries to backstab you.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One credit I have to give BJ is his boundless and endless ability to talk lies, bluff and bullshit. He never stops.

‘Great deal’, ‘dither and delay’, etc

Rinse

Repeat

Day after day

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Do people think 16/17 year olds should be allowed to vote? I think the debate is sometimes deliberately overcomplicated. They put tax and NI and so they should be allowed to vote to have a say on how that is spent. Granted it may be a negligible amount, but that isn’t the point.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Corbyn is bad but Boris is just as bad if he turns up that is. The whole debate will be a shambles and maybe a chance for Swinson to get some more votes.
quite possibly farrage in the mix as well... and possibly sturgeon as well
probably a messy debate - but for sure not a format i see Corbyn doing well in

NinjaFletch

Do people think 16/17 year olds should be allowed to vote? I think the debate is sometimes deliberately overcomplicated. They put tax and NI and so they should be allowed to vote to have a say on how that is spent. Granted it may be a negligible amount, but that isn’t the point.
Yes.

I'm yet to really hear an argument against it that wouldn't also disenfranchise vast swathes of the electorate.

OohAahMartial

If they want U18's to vote, how about putting that on a manifesto and getting elected?

And not saying that the Brexit bill is being rushed (after 3 years), then try to get such a major change done in a day.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
4 amendments
1. for a referendum in March
2. EU citizens
3. 16/17 year olds
4. date on 9th

I think the electoral commission said its too short a time period to implement 3

so yeah i suspect that one does not get called but the EU amendment is a separate one and as EU citizens can already vote in local elections (and commonwealth citizens in gerenral elections) there isnt a technical reason it cant be done in the time frame ... so that one could still be selected

At which point probably the government spikes the bill

and then as I say - not sure what next - probably a no confidence motion (followed by an election - probably with out EU citizens voting as there is nobody to pass the legislation unless a GNU is formed )