Westminster Politics

Full bodied red

I genuinely fear for the safety of MP's and campaigners

After the past couple of years, I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit sorry for the overwhelming majority of them.

Brought it on themselves.

Hopefully half of them, from all sides, will lose their seats and then find out what it's like to live on Social Security instead of £ 75k + expenses for sitting on their arses and arguing amongst themselves like drunk football fans in the pub on Saturday night.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
After the past couple of years, I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit sorry for the overwhelming majority of them.

Brought it on themselves.

Hopefully half of them, from all sides, will lose their seats and then find out what it's like to live on Social Security instead of £ 75k + expenses for sitting on their arses and arguing amongst themselves like drunk football fans in the pub on Saturday night.
lets be honest most had jobs at or above 75K before they entered politics - all will leave politics and be able to command comfortably more ... but on the point of safety im talking jo cox type stuff .., or is that just humbug and you think a few MP's being killed is ok because ... erm... brexit means brexit? or you dont agree with austerity or because corbyn is a danger?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Where’s the plonker Farage? Normally all over the media.
cancelled a rally about how bad the boris deal is - apparently seeking an electoral pact with boris (so probably on the phone with trump quid pro quoing away) where brexit will fight a number (to be determined) of labour leave seats which the conservatives wont contest in exchange for brexit party not standing in other constituencies ... and of course a cushy number for nigel when its all done (free trade ambassador to the usa or some such drivel I suspect)

TheGame

Out of interest how viable would it be to register all 16/17 year olds (and EU nationals) for voting by 12th December?
16/17 year olds are already on the register as you can be on the electoral register from 16 but cannot vote until 18. Our systems would need updating to classify them as voters but there would be pressure from those who haven’t registered to register and that would be a lot of work.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
16/17 year olds are already on the register as you can be on the electoral register from 16 but cannot vote until 18. Our systems would need updating to classify them as voters but there would be pressure from those who haven’t registered to register and that would be a lot of work.
I had read somewhere the electoral commission thought it would take around 6 months - (which fits in with a referendum timetable) but that it might well not be viable in 6 weeks??
the issue is more of a workload one than a technical one though from what you are saying

Full bodied red

lets be honest most had jobs at or above 75K before they entered politics - all will leave politics and be able to command comfortably more ... but on the point of safety im talking jo cox type stuff .., or is that just humbug and you think a few MP's being killed is ok because ... erm... brexit means brexit? or you dont agree with austerity or because corbyn is a danger?

Jo Cox type stuff ??

I doubt it....The UK has its fair share of nutters, but Jo Cox was a one-off. The last time ( before Jo Cox ) was when ??

Some of the vitriol on here against the Tories would indicate that it's the Tories who will need to look over their shoulders, you know, just in case.

Abizzz

Jo Cox type stuff ??

I doubt it....The UK has its fair share of nutters, but Jo Cox was a one-off. The last time ( before Jo Cox ) was when ??

Some of the vitriol on here against the Tories would indicate that it's the Tories who will need to look over their shoulders, you know, just in case.
He wasn't a one off. He had a political motive and affiliated himself with your cause.

Just sayin' it like it is.

Sweet Square

Jo Cox type stuff ??

Just off the top of my head

.Someone literally drove a van into crowd of people with the hope of killing Corbyn and Sadiq Khan(Corbyn was punched in the head as well this year)

.2017 Westminster attack - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Westminster_attack

.A man was arrested last month for attacking Labour MP Jess Philips office door.

TheGame

I had read somewhere the electoral commission thought it would take around 6 months - (which fits in with a referendum timetable) but that it might well not be viable in 6 weeks??
the issue is more of a workload one than a technical one though from what you are saying
To ensure all voters 16-18 who can register are registered, it would probably take that long as not all of them have registered currently as they don’t deem it important however may do when there is an election. The deadline to register for an election is also in advance of the election date so we will only get 2-3 weeks to get everyone registered. While there can be a patch up job for this election, it would be nigh on impossible to get all of them registered for this election so a lot of people would miss out and we would be swamped with the workload and getting everyone else registered including overseas voters and actually organising the election.

The other thing would be that it would require a change in legislation as well.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Jo Cox type stuff ??

there was a poll recently showing that 70+% of brexit supporters feel some level of violence against an MP would be a price worth paying for the brexit they want
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-against-mps-is-price-worth-paying-for-brexit

This included a question on whether achieving their desired political outcome was worth the risk of violence being directed against MPs.

Most leave voters who took part in the Future of England study thought such a possibility was a “price worth paying” for Brexit to be delivered – 71% in England, 60% in Scotland and 70% in Wales.
so yeah MP's and campaigners walking dark streets at night - I have some safety concerns ... I mean how many death threats etc - we seem to be in a new era of threats etc so perhaps assuming its a one off is wishful thinking

https://www.ft.com/content/89096bfa-f8b9-11e9-a354-36acbbb0d9b6

As i say i have concerns about the safety of MP's and campaigners (on both sides) and I hope im wrong

Full bodied red

Brexit, Britain First.

Absolute bollocks.

Point me to one single post over the past five years where I have said anything like that.

I have consistantly said that I am anti-EU, as are hundreds of millions of us throughout Europe, but nothing about Britain First bollocks....

Full bodied red

Abizzz

Absolute bollocks.

Point me to one single post over the past five years where I have said anything like that.

I have consistantly said that I am anti-EU, as are hundreds of millions of us throughout Europe, but nothing about Britain First bollocks....
Sorry if I've offended you, but to me they have become synonymous. Anyways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox said:
He believed individuals of liberal and left-wing political viewpoints, and the mainstream media, were the cause of the world's problems.[1] He targeted Cox, a "passionate defender" of the European Union and immigration, because he saw her as "one of 'the collaborators' [and] a traitor" to white people.[1]

Full bodied red

Sorry if I've offended you, but to me they have become synonymous. Anyways:

No need to apologise.

Anyway....

If there will be a General Election during the next few months, perhaps we could have a bit of fun and start a list of those MPs who ( 1 ) we think will lose their seats and ( 2 ) we hope will lose their seats.

Can I offer up ( 1 ) Jared O'Mara for being a complete dickhead and fraud, and ( 2 ) Chuka Umunna for being Chuka Umunna

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
No need to apologise.

Anyway....

If there will be a General Election during the next few months, perhaps we could have a bit of fun and start a list of those MPs who ( 1 ) we think will lose their seats and ( 2 ) we hope will lose their seats.

Can I offer up ( 1 ) Jared O'Mara for being a complete dickhead and fraud, and ( 2 ) Chuka Umunna for being Chuka Umunna
I think Omara isnt standing which is probably for the best
I hope swinson looses her seat so corbyn has to beg chukka to form a coalition and chukka flounces out of the room like a child

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
How will an election change anything?

The only way to stop the farce is to revoke A50.
feck it. This country will get what it deserves. If they return a Boris majority for which I have huge doubt that will happen then that's what it deserves.

I'm hoping for a hung parliament as the only way to send Brexit decision back to the people but this campaign needs to be so much more than Brexit.

Everyone must be sick and tired seeing food bank collections in every corner. In addition to every supermarket, now even my kids nursery is doing it which just highlights the absolutely horrendous state the Tories have reduced this country to.

If people can't see through the bullshit they deserve to suffer. I am resigned to this motto now.

Tactical voting to get rid of the tories hopefully will be up soon.

mitChley

No need to apologise.

Anyway....

Jared won't be standing again, not that he would ever even stand a chance in Hallam. People hate him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To ensure all voters 16-18 who can register are registered, it would probably take that long as not all of them have registered currently as they don’t deem it important however may do when there is an election. The deadline to register for an election is also in advance of the election date so we will only get 2-3 weeks to get everyone registered. While there can be a patch up job for this election, it would be nigh on impossible to get all of them registered for this election so a lot of people would miss out and we would be swamped with the workload and getting everyone else registered including overseas voters and actually organising the election.

The other thing would be that it would require a change in legislation as well.
Would they have that big an impact? Will swing a few more votes Labour's way, but Brexit and Tory sympathisers are still strong according to this poll.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...ws-young-people-really-think-brexit-1-6079354

OohAahMartial

Listening to Parliament now, and it's been no means clear that Labour are backing an election. Looks like they are still trying to stall for time.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Would they have that big an impact? Will swing a few more votes Labour's way, but Brexit and Tory sympathisers are still strong according to this poll.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...ws-young-people-really-think-brexit-1-6079354
I dunno - about that - Id guess Libs would be the main beneficiary with the clear remain stance - and SNP in Scotland

Interestingly though I guess this would be a gateway to 16 year olds and possibly EU nationals in any future EU referendum?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I dunno - about that - Id guess Libs would be the main beneficiary with the clear remain stance - and SNP in Scotland

Interestingly though I guess this would be a gateway to 16 year olds and possibly EU nationals in any future EU referendum?
Which will only happen in this generation if Labour/LibDem/SNP form a coalition? So not likely.

I think Labours plan to embarrass BJ with failure to leave by 31st October has failed. Its obvious to his supporters that he tried his very best; I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to decimate Brexit Party vote which would give him his majority, especially while Corbyn pisses off the middle age centrist vote.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I run elections for a local authority and the amount of work that goes into organising one is immense. People do not realise the amount of work and cost involved.
I should clarify, I meant in regards to the typical voter who usually has a short journey to their polling booth (mine is a 5 minute walk) to go and put a tick in a box. I don’t know why it’s seen as this thing we should all be annoyed about.

I can see from your perspective it must be a bit of a pain. Does seem something that would be quite interesting to be involved in though!