Westminster Politics

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Either that or he's gonna gain 30 seats in the snap election next year.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I met Paddick on election night. Really liked him, shame he hasn't shown an interest in being an MP. Would have been an ideal challenger to Kate Hoey in Vauxhall.

He's gay, so I'd assume that's what he's referring to here. Hates Farron - reaction with the results was depression that they were likely "just" good enough for him to be able to stay on.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They keep it in the closet.

Smores

I had no idea the Lib Dems had a shadow cabinet.
I was gonna say him resigning as lib dem shadoe home sec is like me resigning from being a professional footballer because i once got paid to play a 5 aside game :lol:

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I had no idea the Lib Dems had a shadow cabinet.
They don't, only her majestically official opposition do.

Which isn't the lib dems.

They can call it what they like, it isn't anything of relevance.

Drifter

American
Who do the Lib Dems have to take over. Just seen the video .So he's stepped down because of LGBT reasons .FFS

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I assume it'll be Jo Swinson.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So basically he's quit because leading the Liberal Democrats was at odds with him being a homophobe

NinjaFletch

So basically he's quit because leading the Liberal Democrats was at odds with him being a homophobe
It's an incredible statement:

'I am resigning because leading the Liberal Democrats is incompatible with my being a homophobe' :houllier:

Blind

He's not exactly the DUP, but it's such a silly reason to quit. I suppose it doesn't really matter since the Lib Dems are irrelevant, might as well give someone else a go and see if they can improve on a sensational 12 seats at the next election.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I kind of feel for him; if actions speak louder than words then I don't think it should matter that much what his personal opinion is so long as he acts for equality and tolerance - which is what he has done as an MP.

Not a great advert for religion though is it?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I kind of feel for him; if actions speak louder than words then I don't think it should matter that much what his personal opinion is so long as he acts for equality and tolerance - which is what he has done as an MP.

Not a great advert for religion though is it?
He voted against a law that made it illegal for public services to be denied to gay people.

He voted to allow registrars to refuse to carry out same-sex marriages on religious grounds, as well as separately voting to increase protection for those refusing to conduct same sex marriage ceremonies.

He abstained from a key vote to legalise same-sex marriage.

He voted against the Equality Act Regulations regarding sexual orientation which criminalised a lot of discrimination against gay people, which was actually against his party.

His record isn't as bad as some, but it's not the best and he's certainly not consistent with acts for equality and tolerance.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Cable is the logical choice, he's getting on in years though. This is the man who tutored Andrew Neil, and he's barely living.

DOTA

Vince Cable???
Eleven years ago, that would've been an idea.

I wouldn't be shocked if they do pick him. I would think they're being silly though.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Shocked if it isn't Swinson, they'll want someone who wasn't too prominent in the coalition. No-one remembers her in it.

Feel for Farron a bit, but clearly wasn't really cut out for leadership. Would make a good DWP secretary or something.

Nogbadthebad

He voted against a law that made it illegal for public services to be denied to gay people.

He voted to allow registrars to refuse to carry out same-sex marriages on religious grounds, as well as separately voting to increase protection for those refusing to conduct same sex marriage ceremonies.

He abstained from a key vote to legalise same-sex marriage.

He voted against the Equality Act Regulations regarding sexual orientation which criminalised a lot of discrimination against gay people, which was actually against his party.

His record isn't as bad as some, but it's not the best and he's certainly not consistent with acts for equality and tolerance.

Interestingly, its not really any worse than May's record, although she did, of course, vote for gay marriage at the last big, very public vote.

Yet may never really faces the same questions, despite shoving her religion in our face far more than Farron ever did.

Drifter

American
Well Owen will be Shadow Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

DOTA

Interestingly, its not really any worse than May's record, although she did, of course, vote for gay marriage at the last big, very public vote.

Yet may never really faces the same questions, despite shoving her religion in our face far more than Farron ever did.
Mainly cause she's not trying to lead the Lib Dems.