Westminster Politics

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
WTF is going on in the Commons? Absolute shitshow right now. Everybody's a fecking baboon.

SNP have apparently walked out. Half the Tories have walked out. Everyone left is shouting at everyone else. Nobody seems clear what motions are capable of being voted on. Speaker's objectivity is being questioned. It's pretty entertaining, but a complete disgrace.

Edit: There is now a vote to enable the Commons to sit in private (ie hide this embarrassment). BBC: "If successful the public galleries will be emptied and the cameras for broadcasting will be turned off". :lol:

Last edited:

DanH

Starmer blowing up holes in (what passes for) British democracy to save himself from having parliament vote to describe the things he said Israel had the right to do as collective punishment :lol:

Is a stupid take.

Smores

He's a terrible speaker and the decision and justification makes no sense. Whole thing is a pantomime though.

Dobba

Again, drivel.
Come on then, explain to us all what actually happened? Because to my clearly untrained eye Labour have had multiple Opposition Days to table anything calling for an immediate ceasefire and instead spent the entire time saying they didn't support one because it'd help Hamas. Then all of a sudden the SNP use their Opposition Day to table a motion calling for a ceasefire and not only do the Starmer Party announce they won't be supporting it (though they go from abstain to voting against and back again a few times) they suddenly care enough table an amendment that gets rid of the piece in the SNP's that correctly calls out Israel's actions (which Starmer famously believes Israel has the right to do) as being collective responsibility/punishment. Then, completely coincidentally and nothing to do with the reports that he was threatened with the loss of post-GE support in the role if he didn't do so, the speaker goes against all previous conventions and not only calls Starmer's amendment but ensures that it'll be voted on first, all but ensuring the SNP (whose actual Opposition Day it is), wouldn't get their motion even voted on at all.

But please do inform us all how it really went down.

Last edited:

Dobba

There is a clear issue with the SNP, in that the optics make it seem that the goal of embarrassing Starmer was more important than getting to a ceasefire.
Which is why Lammy was announcing to every outlet who'd put him on air how he was bravely going to overlook who tabled the motion to support it regardless, because calling for a ceasefire is more important than political grandstanding

It was that or that he couldn't vote for it because of it being an election year. One of the two.

Spark

Come on then, explain to us all what actually happened? Because to my clearly untrained eye Labour have had multiple Opposition Days to table anything calling for an immediate ceasefire and instead spent the entire time saying they didn't support one because it'd help Hamas. Then all of a sudden the SNP use their Opposition Day to table a motion calling for a ceasefire and not only do the Starmer Party announce they won't be supporting it (though they go from abstain to voting against and back again a few times) they suddenly care enough table an amendment that gets rid of the piece in the SNP's that correctly calls out Israel's actions (which Starmer famously believes Israel has the right to do) as being collective responsibility. Then, completely coincidentally and nothing to do with the reports that he was threatened with the loss of post-GE support in the role if he didn't do so, the speaker goes against all previous conventions and not only calls Starmer's amendment but ensures that it'll be voted on first, all but ensuring the SNP (whose actual Opposition Day it is), wouldn't get their motion even voted on at all.

This is exactly what happened today.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Come on then, explain to us all what actually happened? Because to my clearly untrained eye Labour have had multiple Opposition Days to table anything calling for an immediate ceasefire and instead spent the entire time saying they didn't support one because it'd help Hamas. Then all of a sudden the SNP use their Opposition Day to table a motion calling for a ceasefire and not only do the Starmer Party announce they won't be supporting it (though they go from abstain to voting against and back again a few times) they suddenly care enough table an amendment that gets rid of the piece in the SNP's that correctly calls out Israel's actions (which Starmer famously believes Israel has the right to do) as being collective responsibility/punishment. Then, completely coincidentally and nothing to do with the reports that he was threatened with the loss of post-GE support in the role if he didn't do so, the speaker goes against all previous conventions and not only calls Starmer's amendment but ensures that it'll be voted on first, all but ensuring the SNP (whose actual Opposition Day it is), wouldn't get their motion even voted on at all.

Obviously you have been talking nonsense.

Apart from the fact the BBC are reporting the same.

"Senior Labour figures told BBC Newsnight Sir Lindsay was left in no doubt Labour was prepared to see him replaced as Speaker after the next general election unless he selected the party's ceasefire amendment for a vote."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68357080

DanH

Obviously you have been talking nonsense.

Apart from the fact the BBC are reporting the same.

"Senior Labour figures told BBC Newsnight Sir Lindsay was left in no doubt Labour was prepared to see him replaced as Speaker after the next general election unless he selected the party's ceasefire amendment for a vote."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68357080
The Speaker denied it, the party denied it. Unless the argument is the Speaker took a decision, knowing it could cause him to lose his position now, in order to avoid potentially losing it after a general election.

Of course, for some it has to be the fault of Starmer.

Dobba

The Speaker denied it, the party denied it. Unless the argument is the Speaker took a decision, knowing it could cause him to lose his position now, in order to avoid potentially losing it after a general election.

Of course, for some it has to be the fault of Starmer.
Starmer denied saying stuff he'd said not just in an on-air radio studio but one fitted with cameras recording him saying it.

I know Dan what are we like believing that this fella was put up to visiting Hoyle personally by Keir Starmer, just because that fella was Starmer himself?

DanH

I know Dan what are we like believing that this fella was put up to visiting Hoyle personally by Keir Starmer, just because that fella was Starmer himself?
What does this mean? Do you mean that Starmer visited the Speaker?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is he still an MP? How the feck are ofcom allowing this?
You mean the same Ofcom that, like Ofgem, is accountable to Parliament. The same parliament that - oh, you know where I'm going with this.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Keir Starmer accuses the Tories and SNP of “choosing political games over serious solutions”.

The Labour leader said:

Today was a chance for parliament to unite and speak with one voice on the horrendous situation in Gaza and Israel.
It was in that spirit that Labour put forward an amendment calling for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire. One that that will last, that would require both sides to observe it, that would demand hostages are returned, that aid gets into Gaza, that said Israel has a right to be protected against a repeat of 7 October and – crucially – that requires a road map for a two-state solution.
Unfortunately, the Conservatives and the SNP decided to walk out hand-in-hand, refusing to vote on this serious matter, yet again choosing political games over serious solutions.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm officially confused about what has happened today, and even if someone explained it I would probably still be confused. This is what I get for ignoring politics for a couple of days.

Dobba

I'm officially confused about what has happened today, and even if someone explained it I would probably still be confused. This is what I get for ignoring politics for a couple of days.
What passes for British democracy went up against Starmer not wanting to look like he believes Israel has the right to commit acts that Parliament considers collective punishment and thus a war crime.

British democracy lost via a lowblow delivered by the referee.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Labour's wording left out condemnation of Israel and added that a ceasefire won't happen until Hamas ceases violence. A total cop out.