Westminster Politics

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Since we're accepting Labour propaganda now as the unchallengeable truth, here's what the Lib Dems say.

ie there was other stuff in the amendment they didn't agree with, so they abstained.

But you know, it gave the Labour culties their daily shot of anger, so well done.
Yeah mate I'm an SNP voter so I really don't give much of a feck about Labour culties.

And that link just screams of excuses.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Feel delaying election and continuing gridlock would be a bad move from Labour. Think they’d be wrong not to take advantage of Boris’ failure to deliver on his promise to leave by 31 October.

Sweet Square

I can only really speak from my corner of the world. I imagine you're mainly interested in the Any Qualified Provider section. As a CEO of a not for profit that receives commissions from several Government bodies I was worried that we'd be forced out of the market by larger private sector entities offering loss leading contracts. A bit of this did happen, such as several sexual health contracts being won by Virgin (there's ya pun). This happened in the legal advice sector too when LASPO landed. But in terms of service delivery, I still don't see as many front line commissions being won by private sector entities as was expected at the time. Whether this is accident or design is harder to say and we may see it accelerating over time.

On health, there's a bucket load of stuff apart from AQP, which in truth is a minor part of the Act. Mostly its a mixed bag. Healthwatch, Health and Wellbeing Boards and Public Health England were all probably a success on balance. As for CCGs, its too early to tell. It may turn out to be another pointless reorganisation, but in some regions we're seeing combined social and health care commissioning bodies emerge, which could be really good for our clients. Monitor was a failure.

But there's more to it than just that. There stuff like fluoride in water, the licensing of providers, stuff about how Local Authorities connect to health services and a tonne of other stuff that I barely know a thing about. So even working under the Act I have only a small understanding of it.

And then of course there's the fact that you can't just roll back to the former legislation. Presumably you're happy to simply accept on faith that anything Labour does will be better than what goes before, but I want to see what they're suggesting myself. Labour has been very quiet on the role of the charity sector in delivering commissioned services, but since we're not publicly owned Im guessing he sees us as the lesser of two evils but not the preferred solution. Since there are numerous examples of the charity sector being better than statutory bodies, I'd be totally against that being rolled back.

And as for whatever restructure of the NHS Labour has in mind, well, there's a lot of ways to mess up a reorg on that scale. I'll judge it on its merits when I see the proposal.
Dam! You even got the puns in there. But really cheers for the post.

Abizzz

Parliament either don't give him the election (he blames parliament) or they do... And if they do either they pass his deal unamanded in which case he says he defeated parliament ... Or they try and amend it (most probable)... He pulls the deal and blames parliament for being remoaners trying to attach a referendum or a customs union and stop the 1st referendum
And even if they pass the deal with a referendum it's irelavent as there is a ge on 12 December and parliament can't bind it's it's successor
Thanks, that makes sense. But how can he force them into either or? Can't they just not pass the deal and not call for an election?

Fergies Gum

Labour are cowards. Cant remember a time when an opposition party was so scared of wanting an general election.

Flying high

Labour are cowards. Cant remember a time when an opposition party was so scared of wanting an general election.

Once they can be sure that Johnson can't just drag us out without the permission of parliament, Labour will be happy to have an election. As they have said repeatedly for weeks now.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
to be fair we cant really know as previousley without the fixed term parliament act a government could pretty much just call an election when they wanted ... and very often did so at the time they percieved most advantageous to them so under the current rules perhaps numerous oppositions might have blocked elections (of course they might not as well)
I think the Fixed term parliament act will be one of the first things to go after the election actually ... but in the meantime I agree its not something that looks good for labour
Im genuinley not sure if Boris will get his election vote through on Monday but if not I'm not sure what the labour response will be if not.

NWRed

It should be mentioned that about half the Tories are wary of an election before Brexit is sorted and the person pushing for this is Cummings. He's not got a good track record at the minute either.

nickm

Strange argument. Since when was it the oppositions job to give the government what they want? However, they are cowards but not because they want to delay, it’s because they don’t have the guts or the decency to remove their single biggest obstacle to winning.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Strange argument. Since when was it the oppositions job to give the government what they want? However, they are cowards but not because they want to delay, it’s because they don’t have the guts or the decency to remove their single biggest obstacle to winning.
It's not necessarily about that - it's the optics of how it looks for an opposition party to be opposing an election when they constantly talk about how much they want to unseat this government. It'll give some voters the impression that Labour don't really believe they can win the election, an impression that'd have some solid backing with current polling trends.

Not that I necessarily believe all of the above, and there are legit reasons for why they may be wary to hold an election right now, but that's how Cummings is trying to spin it, and there's a risk it'll work to an extent if Labour seem too reticent about the prospect of a vote.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
An opposition would want an election everyday because its their only chance of coming into power. They’re not accepting this because it’s clearly a power grabbing tactic by BoJo considering that an election means the dissolution of parliament 25 working days before the election date which means the government has absolute power and can do what it likes because judging by the leave campaign no one trusts them to respect the purdah rules and restrictions.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
An opposition would want an election everyday because its their only chance of coming into power. They’re not accepting this because it’s clearly a power grabbing tactic by BoJo considering that an election means the dissolution of parliament 25 working days before the election date which means the government has absolute power and can do what it likes because judging by the leave campaign no one trusts them to respect the purdah rules and restrictions.
Blah blah blah. That's all you're saying. Everyone knows that Corbyn is scared of Boris.

Or some shite like that. There you go, there's no need for him to respond to your post now :)

mad1max954

but surely it is their job to seek power, and there is no other way to achieve that than an election.

bang on with the second point though! What the feck even are labour anymore since that communist backbencher took and refused to let go of power.

I honestly think Corbyn (who has always been a leaver) won’t pass the deal or any deal boris came up with because he knows that he is totally fecked come election if boris gets it through. That’s the state of politics at the moment.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Have labour got an official position for the vote on Monday yet?
Support?... Seems unlikely but not impossible
Oppose?... Would they kick out MPs who voted for it
Free vote?
Abstain?

Abstaining would seem a strange option

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have labour got an official position for the vote on Monday yet?
Support?... Seems unlikely but not impossible
Oppose?... Would they kick out MPs who voted for it
Free vote?
Abstain?

Abstaining would seem a strange option
I assume they’re going to oppose it, allow MPs to abstain if they feel they need to but kick out anyone who supports it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Guardian said:
I had a visit from my benefits assessor – and now I fear the state more than poverty

One morning eight years ago, as I was preparing to go to work, I had an unexpected brain haemorrhage. It was like being hit by a train from the inside. I fell to the floor in agony and somehow didn’t die. The bleed squashed a part of my visual cortex, leaving me permanently visually impaired. Doctors called it a sight deficit (deficit was a trendy word at the time).

Her report said that I had no visual impairment and could see well enough to drive. I was surprised by this, as I hadn’t been able to drive even when I could still see. It said I did not suffer from stress and anxiety, on the grounds that I was engaging, made eye contact and “seemed calm”. While this was flattering it didn’t consider that I had tried my best to be all these things because I was meeting someone with the power to ruin my life. The report complained that I went regularly to the theatre, without mentioning that I’d been working in a theatre and had to quit because of my condition.
Guardian said:
A welfare system that drives mothers into prostitution is not a safety net

Last week, a group of women told the work and pensions committee how they sold sex to survive. Everything from being coerced into giving oral sex after being caught shoplifting food for the kids to turning to sex work full time. While the cliched image of sex work – women on drugs – remains sadly true, there are also “welfare” sex workers, supplementing their benefits to buy not heroin but groceries or clothes for their kids.

While such horror stories have always been around, they’re now directly linked to the inadequacies of universal credit, including five- to six-week waits to process claims, rejections, disputes, cuts, repayable loans that mean people never get back on their feet etc. The welfare system is yet again exposed as not a safety net but a tattered spider’s web that vulnerable people crash through, straight to the ground.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Not sure if she has grasped the concept of profit.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Is she still the momentum pick to take over from jezbollah
I think it's between Long-Bailey, Thornberry and Pidcock. Who I think are all fairly rubbish. McDonell said the next leader has to be a woman and I think it will be. Outside of those 3 I'm not too sure who else there is, Raynor perhaps?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think it's between Long-Bailey, Thornberry and Pidcock. Who I think are all fairly rubbish. McDonell said the next leader has to be a woman and I think it will be. Outside of those 3 I'm not too sure who else there is, Raynor perhaps?
Starmer?....on the basis it does not actually have to be a woman... Will depend how brexit plays out I think for his chances
I think thornberry is persona non Grata with the momentum mob after basically saying labour should be a remain party
I think Jess Phillips might be in the mix as well

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Not sure Rebecca Wrong-Daily understands how corporation tax works

Tbf, she can’t quote a profit figure, because they’ve moved the profit out of the U.K. jurisdiction via transfer pricing and other interco methods. That’s the whole point of the argument

Sweet Square

The ones on Brexit are just funny and showed how important the framing of the question can be.

Election polls are a snapshot of public opinion and current public opinion is that the Labour Party is a useless sack of shit

Well yeah but as you said its a snapshot of the current opinion, which can change and doesn't mean much outside of an election(Its not like Labour are 3-0 down at half time or whatever awful sports examples people used for politics)

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure Rebecca Wrong-Daily understands how corporation tax works

if you buy amazon's framing that they make their profits in <tax haven island> and not in the uk, i dont know what to tell you