Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Of course they're not going to bloody sack him, they're a bunch of bottle jobs. Jaywick wasn't made to resign or get the sack after he delivered a takeaway to his parents and he's a minister.

This is what happens when you vote for a bunch of scumbags folks.
Exactly.
They will spin and squirm and if that doesn't work, they will do what they usually do.
Lie and lie and lie.

Because they know that the people will fall for it.

TheGame

Just sick and tired of all the double standards of the Government ministers and trolls who were out with the pitchforks when anyone else had been reported to break the rules. It’s pathetic. We really are a broken political system where they can just get away with anything.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Just sick and tired of all the double standards of the Government ministers and trolls who were out with the pitchforks when anyone else had been reported to break the rules. It’s pathetic. We really are a broken political system where they can just get away with anything.
Throw in diminishing journalistic standards and general public apathy to holding people to account and it is just one massive shitshow.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Throw in diminishing journalistic standards and general public apathy to holding people to account and it is just one massive shitshow.
This I don't get. The vast majority of people happily ignored all of the Brexit lies, then swallowed all of the Tory ones too. Does feel like we have the government we deserve cos the majority is to stupid or apathetic to care.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just listened to the BBC news.
He did not break the law because laws don't apply to the ruling class.
Simple.

NinjaFletch

No.
It is the people running our country who are the joke.
And not a funny one at that.
Sadly it's only possible with a complicit public.

Anyway, I've complained to the BBC about Kuenssberg again, feck all will come of it but it's cathartic if nothing else.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
This I don't get. The vast majority of people happily ignored all of the Brexit lies, then swallowed all of the Tory ones too. Does feel like we have the government we deserve cos the majority is to stupid or apathetic to care.
I have to be honest - despite knowing the risk of appearing to be one of those 'loony conspiracy theorists' we all read about whenever something politically dodgy is going on - I find it incredibly hard to believe that recent elections (and the referendum) both here and in the U.S. were not 'fixed'.

Last edited:

FireballXL5

I have to be honest - despite knowing the risk of appearing to be one of those 'loony conspiracy theorists' we all read about whenever something politically dodgy is going on - I find it incredibly hard to believe that recent elections both here and in the U.S. were not 'fixed'.
Any ideas why the Russian report hasn't been published yet? Vlad knows, you know.

SteveJ

Scout
Any ideas why the Russian report hasn't been published yet?
I'm sure it will be as exhaustive, meticulous and revelatory as the police investigation into Johnson and Arcuri.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The worst part is Kuenssberg’s ‘source’ has changed its story since last night, but she just parrots the new line with no comment whatsoever on the fact the ‘source’ has tacitly conceded its previous claim was fabricated (or its new one is, they obviously can’t both be true). And then after the first tweet has the ‘source says’ the next tweet will remove that part. It simply becomes a detail of the story, one apparent fact.

The opposition parties and the journalists with any dignity left really need to hit them hard on this. The Tories are already disputing Durham Police’s claim that they spoke to a member of the Cummings family. Such brazen lies and spinning cannot be tolerated.

Smores

Nothing will come of it. The rule tends to be that if Tory voters can put a positive spin on it to make it fair behaviour then it's fair game despite facts. Asking Tory voters to be outraged at selfish behaviour is just a no go to start with.

One things for sure if lockdown wasn't already done then it is now.

Wolverine

With the Tory spin force out in twitter it means they'll hold onto him. Among other plenty of ways this is an open goal for Starmer
- guidance was clear that nobody leaves their house with covid positive symptoms
- kid could have been picked up if childcare was an issue
- story doesn't corroborate with entries in spectator
- anger from across political spectrum
- one of either number 10 or durham police is lying regarding family/homeowners being spoken to
Genuinely in many ways I am angry about this. I literally had symptomatic family members with childcare issues for whom we all were doing plenty for them, groceries etc. At a cost physically and actually. And family members who weren't allowed to see loved ones in hospitals, funerals etc.

SteveJ

Scout
The worst part is Kuenssberg’s ‘source’ has changed its story since last night, but she just parrots the new line with no comment whatsoever on the fact the ‘source’ has tacitly conceded its previous claim was fabricated (or its new one is, they obviously can’t both be true).
Yep. Normally, the standard journalistic response to u-turns like you mentioned is something along the lines of 'Sudden u-turn. They're struggling to get their dubious story straight'. The very thing that LK seems to value - her 'enviable' proximity to government sources - is arguably detrimental, if not to her career, then certainly to her public image and reputation.

Maticmaker

I have to be honest - despite knowing the risk of appearing to be one of those 'loony conspiracy theorists' we all read about whenever something politically dodgy is going on - I find it incredibly hard to believe that recent elections (and the referendum) both here and in the U.S. were not 'fixed'.
'Political Coup'... no doubt about that!

But our 'fixers' must be better than say the Democratic 'fixers' in the US who it appears cant hit the Trump Impeachment Barn door whilst sat on the latch!

Jippy

Staff
Feels more that the right is far better at using social media and other insidious marketing means to drill their message into the masses' brains tbh.

SteveJ

Scout
Feels more that the right is far better at using social media and other insidious marketing means to drill their message into the masses' brains tbh.
Yeah, good points, mate. My views are very often naive and unworldly. I just tend to think that, having run the world for centuries by means of chicanery, force and the malign influence of their wealth, why would the powers that be suddenly be content to rely on the built-in unpredictability of fair elections? And I wonder if we're merely comforting ourselves with denial if we believe that they would sit back, content to leave the perpetuation of their power to people like us. That's not what history has taught us, not how they have always acted, all glib and trusting notions of 'inevitable progress leading to democracy' aside.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He said he was doing the right thing. I thought the right thing was following the guidance but I guess that only applies to those of us who are unwashed.

I'd call him a Karen but he's got less hair than me to have the hairstyle, the little bald goblin that he is.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Exactly.
They will spin and squirm and if that doesn't work, they will do what they usually do.
Lie and lie and lie.

Because they know that the people will fall for it.
The peopl don't care. Outside of this thread most people only care about what the media narrative is, because they'd rather watch Love Island and don't like anything that requires a modicum of research, and since this group of corrupt feckers have all the editors in their pockets they're always going to win.

Jippy

Staff
Yeah, good points, mate. My views are very often naive and unworldly. I just tend to think that, having run the world for centuries by means of chicanery, force and the malign influence of their wealth, why would the powers that be suddenly be content to rely on the built-in unpredictability of fair elections? And I wonder if we're merely comforting ourselves with denial if we believe that they would sit back, content to leave the perpetuation of their power to people like us. That's not what history has taught us, not how they have always acted, all glib and trusting notions of 'inevitable progress leading to democracy' aside.
I'm sure years ago I'd have found this view crazy, but these days it feels anything is possible given what we've seen since 2016.
Brexit put to the pure chance outcome of a referendum doesn't sit well with that view though.

Maticmaker

Brexit put to the pure chance outcome of a referendum doesn't sit well with that view though.
Yes, everyone's 'out of step' except those that think like me! Social media the greatest medium every developed for the transfer of ignorance and development of echo chambers!

Jippy

Staff
Yes, everyone's 'out of step' except those that think like me! Social media the greatest medium every developed for the transfer of ignorance and development of echo chambers!
It is, but what I could never figure out is why social media has been such a successful medium for the right when it's predominantly used by the young.

Untied

What's more incredible now is that the Govt is prioritising saving Cummings over the clarity of its public health messaging, and consequently the public health at large.

Sunak, Hancock, Gove, Raab, etc: Literally more important that Cummings can stay in his role than whether ordinary people die.

'Taking care of your wife and child is not wrong and it's unfair to politicise it' seems to be the line.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm sure years ago I'd have found this view crazy, but these days it feels anything is possible given what we've seen since 2016.
I'm surprised that you would ever find the idea crazy, unless I've explained it badly. I'm not talking of some vast, united conspiracy of 'the powers that be' (dreadful, hackneyed, and deservedly ridiculed term); rather, the usual stuff of people acting like Harry Lime in The Third Man - putting their self-interest above every human and humane consideration.

SteveJ

Scout
STAY ALERT. CONTROL THE NARRATIVE. SAVE DOM.

Maticmaker

It is, but what I could never figure out is why social media has been such a successful medium for the right when it's predominantly used by the young.
I understand what you say, but is that strictly correct? My two daughters (late forties and early fifties) are both avid face-book and twitter users, not exactly youngsters (don't tell them I said so!) they are always telling me what their good friend on twitter or face-book was doing or saying and they repeated it brazenly as though it were true! I've tried pointing out to them that they could be repeating lies or even worse propaganda, "oh dad don't be so stuffy and old fashioned, every one uses social media, to get their message out.... even President Trump!!!!
Nuff said!

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'd recommend Ralph Miliband's work if you haven't read any of his stuff already, Capitalist Democracy in Britain is a good one for explaining how the powerful do not rely on the built-in unpredictability of fair elections as you put it - and I'd dispute that they are "fair", but not because of fraud or stuffing ballot boxes or anything like that, although it would be naive to assume some dodgy stuff does not occur, especially at a local level.

SteveJ

Scout
I'd recommend Ralph Miliband's work if you haven't read any of his stuff already, Capitalist Democracy in Britain is a good one for explaining how the powerful do not rely on the built-in unpredictability of fair elections as you put it - and I'd dispute that they are "fair", but not because of fraud or stuffing ballot boxes or anything like that, although it would be naive to assume some dodgy stuff does not occur, especially at a local level.
If I remember correctly, Miliband was the scholar who was described as 'hating Britain' by the red-tops et al; funny, that...

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The peopl don't care. Outside of this thread most people only care about what the media narrative is, because they'd rather watch Love Island and don't like anything that requires a modicum of research, and since this group of corrupt feckers have all the editors in their pockets they're always going to win.
This is true. The reality is that you can immerse yourself in as much political analysis as possible, educate yourself to microscopic detail, and your vote counts for just as much as someone’s who doesn’t think beyond reading the sun.
This is why mass media lying is so effective

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If I remember correctly, Miliband was the scholar who was described as 'hating Britain' by the red-tops et al; funny, that...
Yep, and he was subject to a dogwhistle anti-Semitic attack in the Daily Mail during the 2015 campaign in an attempt to discredit his son Ed to which no one batted an eyelid, a few years before the press had a change of heart and decided anti-Semitism was bad after all.

Jippy

Staff
I'm surprised that you would ever find the idea crazy, unless I've explained it badly. I'm not talking of some vast, united conspiracy of 'the powers that be' (dreadful, hackneyed, and deservedly ridiculed term); rather, the usual stuff of people acting like Harry Lime in The Third Man - putting their self-interest above every human and humane consideration.
There's obviously always been lies, corruption, backhanders, cronyism, manipulation of the message etc...You were talking about outright election-rigging, which I found harder to believe.

I understand what you say, but is that strictly correct? My two daughters (late forties and early fifties) are both avid face-book and twitter users, not exactly youngsters (don't tell them I said so!) they are always telling me what their good friend on twitter or face-book was doing or saying and they repeated it brazenly as though it were true! I've tried pointing out to them that they could be repeating lies or even worse propaganda, "oh dad don't be so stuffy and old fashioned, every one uses social media, to get their message out.... even President Trump!!!!
Nuff said!
Fair point on Facebook, I would associate it older generations and you've reminded me about my mother-in-law forwarding bs Indian Covid cures.
Was thinking more of twitter.

SteveJ

Scout
Yep, and he was subject to a dogwhistle anti-Semitic attack in the Daily Mail during the 2015 campaign in an attempt to discredit his son Ed to which no one batted an eyelid, a few years before the press had a change of heart and decided anti-Semitism was bad after all.
'Cos, obviously, Ed - for all his undoubted good intentions - was a major threat to the gravy train... ;)

vodrake

If there was any doubt about how much sway Cummings has in Westminster now, you just have to look at the litany of Government Ministers currently falling over themselves on Twitter making tits of themselves excusing his actions.