Westminster Politics

Full bodied red

Also...specific anger at Cummings might be caused by the recent stories of wealthy people surreptitiously heading for their second homes while the mass of us were told to stay indoors.

Good point....

Did the Government let ' them ' know what was coming so giving ' them ' all a chance to round up the family and go , or was it just coincidence that the Queen was in Windsor, Charles in Balmoral ( ?? well, Scotland ) Gordon Ramsey and all his family in Cornwall, even the Beckhams and three of the children in Oxfordshire....

Fluctuation0161

Could add:

Inadequate equipment for 'our brave and valued hero soldiers'
Inadequate wages for 'our brave and valued hero healthcare workers'

And there are countless other examples.
True. I assume there is a tipping point when people will stop allowing themselves to be moved on without resolution!

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Are 42% of those surveyed living under a rock?

Good figures for a new opposition leader.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Also...specific anger at Cummings might be caused by the recent stories of wealthy people surreptitiously heading for their second homes while the mass of us were told to stay indoors.
It is an over generalisation to class all people with a second home as wealthy.

Lots of people have a second home which is used for rental.
While many choose to invest that way but have a mortgage.

It is nothing special to have one.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

There was a thread on here a while ago where the topic of second homes was brought up quite a bit. Suffice to say that the loudest views on here were basically "feck anyone with a second home".

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Communist Cafe
It is certainly no secret that the caf is very left-leaning. Personally I consider myself a slightly left leaning libertarian, and I would far rather vote Labour than Tory, and even for me this place can become a bit too much of a left-wing echo chamber at times.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is certainly no secret that the caf is very left-leaning. Personally I consider myself a slightly left leaning libertarian, and I would far rather vote Labour than Tory, and even for me this place can become a bit too much of a left-wing echo chamber at times.
Absolutely. I'm centre left, and a Labour voter, but this place has certainly become very extremist in its views with some posters quite forceful and abusive to any difference of opinion.

Fingeredmouse

Absolutely. I'm centre left, and a Labour voter, but this place has certainly become very extremist in its views with some posters quite forceful and abusive to any difference of opinion.
I don't find it extreme, in general and I'd say it's been drifting right for years. However, you may well consider me to be a rabid Bolshevik relative to yourself if we discussed politics.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Reality is in the last few years, the nature of politics has made people “entrenched” in their positions that if you sit in what was previously a sensible middle ground, you will get lambasted from both sides.

Fingeredmouse

Reality is in the last few years, the nature of politics has made people “entrenched” in their positions that if you sit in what was previously a sensible middle ground, you will get lambasted from both sides.
If the middle ground drifts in one direction you wake up one day finding yourself unexpectedly extreme left.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't find it extreme, in general and I'd say it's been drifting right for years. However, you may well consider me to be a rabid Bolshevik relative to yourself if we discussed politics.
Interesting you feel it's drifted right. I mean I feel society has shifted to the right, especially when you look at the UK and Brexit and the UK and Trump. That said this forum has been left for some time and lately quite resistant to any discussion away from that mindset.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Very much agree with this. The tribalism and partisanship in politics has (in my view) increased dramatically over the past few years. It almost resembles football teams now, where people are less concerned with who is right and wrong, but more concerned with just winning and/or their "rivals" losing.

If the middle ground drifts in one direction you wake up one day finding yourself unexpectedly extreme left.
Whilst true, I still think that as far as the Caf goes, it is pretty heavily left leaning, even by "traditional" standards. Actually thinking about it, it may just be a very vocal minority of extreme left wingers who give that impression. I mind, since I often broadly agree with their views, but there is definitely a tendency on here to shut down debate and pile on against anyone who goes against the flow. Once or twice I have tried to point out elements of hypocrisy in heated discussions, and typically just get lumped in with the right-wingers or branded a "closet Tory" or some other nonsense.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I'd agree. It seems the centre ground died when the credibility of the Lib Dems did in the UK. It seems now you have to be one extreme or the other or else you get lambasted for having another view.

TheReligion

Abusive
Quality control
Very much agree with this. The tribalism and partisanship in politics has (in my view) increased dramatically over the past few years. It almost resembles football teams now, where people are less concerned with who is right and wrong, but more concerned with just winning and/or their "rivals" losing.

Whilst true, I still think that as far as the Caf goes, it is pretty heavily left leaning, even by "traditional" standards. Actually thinking about it, it may just be a very vocal minority of extreme left wingers who give that impression. I mind, since I often broadly agree with their views, but there is definitely a tendency on here to shut down debate and pile on against anyone who goes against the flow. Once or twice I have tried to point out elements of hypocrisy in heated discussions, and typically just get lumped in with the right-wingers or branded a "closet Tory" or some other nonsense.
I think the shutting down of discussion and ganging up on others is a trait of those specific left wing posters you speak of. I know exactly who you refer to and they get away with bullying others out of threads quite regularly.

The CE forum needs more attentive moderating at the moment in my opinion.

Fingeredmouse

Very much agree with this. The tribalism and partisanship in politics has (in my view) increased dramatically over the past few years. It almost resembles football teams now, where people are less concerned with who is right and wrong, but more concerned with just winning and/or their "Rivals" losing
I think there is certainly truth to this and the drivers of that are interesting. I, however, find myself utterly aliented by the majority of the press and the general voting patterns of the UK which has shifted heavily to the right in my lifetime.
Whilst true, I still think that as far as the Caf goes, it is pretty heavily left leaning, even by "traditional" standards.
Not by standards I recognise and not even the current standards of my city. Of the UK as a whole, yes it probably is.
At current run rate, in 20 years anything left of the Dakeks will be seen as left wing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

There was a thread on here a while ago where the topic of second homes was brought up quite a bit. Suffice to say that the loudest views on here were basically "feck anyone with a second home".
In regards to second homes there might be a particular generational discord given the oft-cited troubled relationship millennials have with the housing market. It has been predicted in the past that up to a third of millennials in the UK will never own their own home, which is the sort of long-term outlook that likely impacts their perspective on how "special" or not it is to have two homes and to what degree it is a symbol of privilege.

Maybe I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if issues in that area would provoke more "extreme" opinions from that cohort than one would see in other age groups with similar political outlooks.

Fingeredmouse

In regards to second homes there might be a particular generational discord given the oft-cited troubled relationship millennials have with the housing market. It has been predicted in the past that up to a third of millennials in the UK will never own their own home, which is the sort of long-term outlook that likely impacts their perspective on how "special" or not it is to have two homes.

Maybe I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if issues in that area would provoke more "extreme" opinions from that cohort than one would see in other age groups with similar political outlooks.
This is true and there is also an undeniably ghoulish element under the current situation from financially benefitting from the financial troubles of others.
When in online debates you encounter others who have different experiences and perspectives and it's easy to provoke anger through seemingly innocent comments.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
next time can you just post you’re a relatively wealthy white man who inherited a fewproperties and we’d have a better understanding

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think the shutting down of discussion and ganging up on others is a trait of those specific left wing posters you speak of. I know exactly who you refer to and they get away with bullying others out of threads quite regularly.

The CE forum needs more attentive moderating at the moment in my opinion.
I think the opposite. I think we are overly lenient on many things. It even takes many repeats of dangerous conspiracy theory whackjobbery to even get a thread ban here. You even have to be overtly racist and often it often takes doubling down to get points and to be fairly despicable to get a ban.

And people don't get bullied for their views. They get called out on them no matter what their political persuasion. The ones who claim they are bullied are usually the ones who can't reasonably justify their own views or assertions.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That anyone can think the Caf is very left wing should be a reminder of how far right the UK has lurched.

I'm a centre-left social democrat and I find this place to the right of me on average. On the other hand people seem to assume that being left socially implies that you are far left economically. Which misses the point of what social democracy is about. Conversely, the right of politics is right or far right on all matters in general even if they have adapted to more modern views on some social issues compared to earlier eras. The right is far less nuanced so no wonder they try to paint anything slightly left of centre through to Marxist with the same brush.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

That anyone can think the Caf is very left wing should be a reminder of how far right the UK has lurched.

I'm a centre-left social democrat and I find this place to the right of me on average. On the other hand people seem to assume that being left socially implies that you are far left economically. Which misses the point of what social democracy is about. Conversely, the right of politics is right or far right on all matters in general even if they have adapted to more modern views on some social issues compared to earlier eras. The right is far less nuanced so no wonder they try to paint anything slightly left of centre through to Marxist with the same brush.
I'd agree with all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the opposite. I think we are overly lenient on many things. It even takes many repeats of dangerous conspiracy theory whackjobbery to even get a thread ban here. You even have to be overtly racist and often it often takes doubling down to get points and to be fairly despicable to get a ban.

And people don't get bullied for their views. They get called out on them no matter what their political persuasion. The ones who claim they are bullied are usually the ones who can't reasonably justify their own views or assertions.
Thanks for the reply and sharing your opinion. Makes more sense to do that than warn me about the post with no explanation (as Grinner did). Don't get me wrong I think theres a tough job to be done in the CE forum but I do think it's a particular unwelcoming place for some posters who aren't in the 'clique' who live in there 24/7. Infact I pretty much know this to be the case from discussions with a number of other posters.

As I'm sure you're aware I was called an idiot by one poster for expressing an opinion that US culture is the biggest problem when it comes to racism, shootings and the like. It's not, in my opinion, as simple as just reforming the police as they represent the society and society is the problem. I was then ganged up on by a number of other posters and given abuse. When I responded back and called someone a 'feckwit' I was given two warning points and a thread ban. If that's how we operate in the CE forum is it any wonder some won't bother contributing? And before anyone looks the posts have now been moderated and deleted although you can see afterwards other posters point out how it's wrong that any other discussion or opinion gets shut down/abused by certain groups.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A typically ignorant comment then.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In regards to second homes there might be a particular generational discord given the oft-cited troubled relationship millennials have with the housing market. It has been predicted in the past that up to a third of millennials in the UK will never own their own home, which is the sort of long-term outlook that likely impacts their perspective on how "special" or not it is to have two homes and to what degree it is a symbol of privilege.

Having more than one house has little to do with privilege, especially if these are mortgaged.
Bricks and mortar has always been a good investment class.

arnie_ni

Ive actually seen it quite a bit lately, the bullying and targeting i mean. Im actually not sure thats what id call it, baiting maybe?

One poster was called part of the problem when he didnt agree with the posters soultion to the cop problem in America.

When you see posts like that you just dont bother posting a times.

I deleted a my reply to this post just yesterday, a tweet saying

"In 2006 Amy Klobuchar, then a district attorney, declined to bring charges against a cop who had shot and killed a Native American man.

Two days ago that cop, Derek Chauvin, murdered George Floyd.

Amy Klobuchar needs to resign."

My reply was along the lines of "lets not condemn this woman before the facts of that case come out. Just because this one is so clear cut doesnt mean that one was the same."

As it turns out she wasnt in that job at the time charges were brought against the cop and her name was thrown in the mud.

The reason i deleted the post was because the day previous when a poster accused cops of starting the fires in the riots, i said you cant make accusations like that without evidence and of course i was vilified for that comment.

One poster was the aforementioned one that called another "part of the problem" as mentioned above.

Id wager im not the only one that deletes or refrains from commenting on certain posts due to, at times, tribal nature of some, not all posters.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The amount of fecking idiots replying to that tweet thinking it really is Maitlis is incredible.
It's quite alarming the amount of morons on social media that can't tell reality from fiction. It's why we have Trump, Boris, Brexit and why social media is such an important part of elections now. Doesn't matter if what is tweeted is true or not, it merely has to be seen to be effective.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah I'd agree. It seems the centre ground died when the credibility of the Lib Dems did in the UK. It seems now you have to be one extreme or the other or else you get lambasted for having another view.
No matter where people sit on the political spectrum thry will feel they get "lambasted" by the other- right, left or centre. It seems to me the entrenched postion of the so called centre often claims to be the "sensible" option. But criticises anyone who doesn't follow their position.

Well guess what, everyone thinks their position is the sensible one!