Westminster Politics

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Speaking of strikes; college lecturers and professional service staff have been striking in Scotland for a few months due to threats of job cuts and the lack of any movement on pay deals (support staff haven't had a pay increase since 2021).

College management and the Education Minister seem to want to ignore that these workers are still on a salary that's three years old. It's got to the point where the unions have been forced to demand a meeting with the First Minister. The same FM who is resigning. So back to square one for those folk...

hobbers

Speaking of strikes; college lecturers and professional service staff have been striking in Scotland for a few months due to threats of job cuts and the lack of any movement on pay deals (support staff haven't had a pay increase since 2021).

College management and the Education Minister seem to want to ignore that these workers are still on a salary that's three years old. It's got to the point where the unions have been forced to demand a meeting with the First Minister. The same FM who is resigning. So back to square one for those folk...
At least Scotland's answer to Liz Truss will be gone in mere minutes, and probably taking half his MSPs down with him after ingeniously boxing his own party out of government.

hobbers

What's caused that?
He unceremoniously scrapped their deal with the Greens, which was what gave the SNP a slim majority.

And somehow this absolute clownfish thought that doing that and then walking into parliament and insulting everyone would make his party look stronger. But surprisingly it just triggered two confidence votes that he was guaranteed to lose.

Drainy

He unceremoniously scrapped their deal with the Greens, which was what gave the SNP a slim majority.

And somehow this absolute clownfish thought that doing that and then walking into parliament and insulting everyone would make his party look stronger. But surprisingly it just triggered two confidence votes that he was guaranteed to lose.
What caused him to scrap the deal?

hobbers

What caused him to scrap the deal?
The Greens were suppose to be putting their ongoing commitment to the deal to a members vote. And this was maybe the SNP pushing them before they could jump.

But also the Green's are anti growth and anti business and a catastrophe in government, and that was creating a lot of tension within the SNP.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The Greens were suppose to be putting their ongoing commitment to the deal to a members vote. And this was maybe the SNP pushing them before they could jump.

But also the Green's are anti growth and anti business and a catastrophe in government, and that was creating a lot of tension within the SNP.
Do you reckon this will pave the way for John Swinney's return?

hobbers

Do you reckon this will pave the way for John Swinney's return?
If it does it wont be for very long. His record as education secretary is still radioactive.

Whoever it is will have to go back cap in hand begging to the greens to let them become FM, which rules out Kate Forbes. And if they dont support anyone then it'll force an election.

Drainy

So he was about to get snaked from the left?

It's interesting because much of the talk online is about him pushing too far left and losing the electorate

hobbers

So he was about to get snaked from the left?

It's interesting because much of the talk online is about him pushing too far left and losing the electorate
It's just a train wreck all round. Their record in this government is all 'culture war left' with the gender bill, which they purposefully designed so it would be blocked by Westminster, and hate crime bill, which obviously achieved nothing but bad headlines.

Meanwhile they scrapped the 75% carbon emissions cut by 2030 target, which pissed off the Greens. And did possibly an even bigger number on the NHS than the Tories in England.

So they pissed off the electorate, their power sharing partners, and themselves.

whitbyviking

Debatable who has blown the better/stronger position - the majority Cons under Boris or the SNP.

The SNP might just take it though; they seem to have gone completely away from their whole raison d'etre in Independence, got heavily mired in the culture war, sleeze allegations to rival any Tory nonsense, got in bed with the Greens and pissed off a lot of the electorate involved in things such as Oil and Gas, then they pissed off the Greens by veering away from their net zero policies. Now they have the hate crime bill, which in reality is unmanageable. They have also got a very poor record in terms of education, health and the whole drugs/alcohol/addiction issue. They were untouchable a couple of years ago with Sturgeon in her pomp, now they must be under severe threat of only being able to form a very weak minority.

What is it with the current crop of "leaders" in the UK; all either useless, liars or massive hypocrites.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

He is just a terf right ? His views trans women as a inherent threat to others. Pretty fecked up.
It's not even that though, it's just the fact the general public are transphobic, after being whipped up by the press into thinking they're all penis-wielding potential rapists, so he's just rolling with it. Spineless, empty vessel who's petrified of the press, rather than an active terf most likely.

Sweet Square

It's not even that though, it's just the fact the general public are transphobic, after being whipped up by the press into thinking they're all penis-wielding potential rapists, so he's just rolling with it. Spineless, empty vessel who's petrified of the press, rather than an active terf most likely.
Possibly. Tbh the difference between a right wing terf and a spineless empty vessel is small Imo.

Sweet Square

:lol:Yeah neither is a selling point, particularly when there's a generational opportunity to crush the Tories that is going to be wasted.
Oh definitely it’s going to be a huge waste. It will be a 1945 style landslide resulting in a David Cameron austerity package.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If you have had to use the NHS over the last couple of years you will see that the status quo isn't sustainable.
Last time I used the NHS was in 2011 and the status quo wasn't sustainable then never mind now!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But then you'll get people coming in here saying you're a dickhead if you don't vote Labour to oust the Tories after yet another shite thing Starmer does.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
But then you'll get people coming in here saying you're a dickhead if you don't vote Labour to oust the Tories after yet another shite thing Starmer does.
Those people are completely lost in their spiral of confusion. Labour are not Tories. So they're better. But they're acting exactly like the Tories. But they're not actually Tories so they're still better. Do you want the Tories to stay in power? And so on.

It's a mental block with them. :houllier:

Smores

Those people are completely lost in their spiral of confusion. Labour are not Tories. So they're better. But they're acting exactly like the Tories. But they're not actually Tories so they're still better. Do you want the Tories to stay in power? And so on.

To compound that they remove any agency or fault from Labours leadership. Every action is excused as required to be elected, yet they don't follow that logic through to anyone but the right.

Quite simply If Labour fail to win someone's vote it is on Labour and no one else. They have the capacity to appeal to those voters they're losing, if they don't it's there choice. The only choice being between a centre right Labour and the Tories is a lie.

At this stage my main concern is Labour is going to become a Cameron style government and it'll be a reform opposition. If that happens the next election will be even worse and it'll be directly because of Labours shift right.

Drainy

Obviously it's a bigger deal in the UK than in America because the manifesto has a constitutional role but moving to the centre ahead of a general election should be seen in a similar light

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

You literally called me a Tory when I was criticising Starmer on here a couple of years ago :lol:

You were one of those people until Starmer made his views on Gaza clear

nickm

God forbid that Labour would make changes to a plan after consultation with the organisations most affected.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You literally called me a Tory when I was criticising Starmer on here a couple of years ago :lol:

You were one of those people until Starmer made his views on Gaza clear
:lol:

You were the one fortune teller I should have listened to. Are arsenal going to win the league (money could ride on it :nervous:)?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
:lol:

You were the one fortune teller I should have listened to. Are arsenal going to win the league (money could ride on it :nervous:)?
At least you see him for what he really is now :)

Unfortunately not, you were right about it being a one horse race when we dropped points

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

People are not confused, it's just a needs must to get the Tories out that some can stomach, others can't, but you know this.
I sure as hell understand the desire to maximise the Tory defeat but also think Starmer is atrocious and have zero enthusiasm for this incarnation of Labour. Pretty sure Labour would at least be less callous than this Tory government, but still not decided whether I'll actually vote or not, much as it pains me. Never done a postal vote before and presumably I'll have to do it early, so feels like I'm lining up lame excuses in my head already.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
People are not confused, it's just a needs must to get the Tories out that some can stomach, others can't, but you know this.
I sure as hell understand the desire to maximise the Tory defeat but also think Starmer is atrocious and have zero enthusiasm for this incarnation of Labour. Pretty sure Labour would at least be less callous than this Tory government, but still not decided whether I'll actually vote or not, much as it pains me. Never done a postal vote before and presumably I'll have to do it early, so feels like I'm lining up lame excuses in my head already.
In simple terms it's the UK version of Biden vs Trump, no one really wants either but those are the choices, the lesser of 2 evils essentially