Westminster Politics

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
So Tory MPs can promote causes, at the expense of all the others, but civil servants can't?

I bet they allow union flags.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good to see the Tories wage a war on lanyards. That’ll fix all the issues.

FireballXL5

Those leftie doctors and nurses wear land yards, don't they? 14 years is all it took for the tories to feck literally everything up.

NHS spending rise lags behind Tory funding pledges, IFS finds

Thinktank says extra funding eaten up by higher inflation despite greater demand with service in poor state of repair

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...se-lags-behind-tory-funding-pledges-ifs-finds

And yes, my cat is more intelligent than Esther McVey.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Starmer is absolutely desperate to please the right wing media, it's just pathetic.
No mate, it's politics. Realistically you can't do a damn thing in opposition. He has to find the broader appeal. I don't necessarily like it, but I do think he's doing what has to be done to win.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No mate, it's politics. Realistically you can't do a damn thing in opposition. He has to find the broader appeal. I don't necessarily like it, but I do think he's doing what has to be done to win.
You think? The Tories are so atrocious that he really does not need to find this broader appeal.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
You think? The Tories are so atrocious that he really does not need to find this broader appeal.
You'd think wouldn't you? But I think he still needs to unify voters as best he can. He can't be seen to be complacent and I'm not totally sure where else he can score points so to speak. PMQs is a joke and the papers won't be kind.

Besides, all I'm saying is I can see logic to what he's doing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You'd think wouldn't you? But I think he still needs to unify voters as best he can. He can't be seen to be complacent and I'm not totally sure where else he can score points so to speak. PMQs is a joke and the papers won't be kind.

Besides, all I'm saying is I can see logic to what he's doing.
I don't disagree with you regarding the logic to it, i just don't think it's needed and it's actually causing a lot of the traditional Labour voters to become disenfranchised with him and the party.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Spot on.
Labour is still going to have to overturn a big Tory Majority.
And that means winning back those so called Red Wall seats which turned against Labour last time.
And it is also going to have to win traditional Tory seats.

And Starmer is very well aware that Labour has to appeal to voters across the whole spectrum.

As you rightly say... it is politics. Plain and simple.

Maticmaker

;)
Spot on.
Labour is still going to have to overturn a big Tory Majority.
And that means winning back those so called Red Wall seats which turned against Labour last time.
And it is also going to have to win traditional Tory seats.

And Starmer is very well aware that Labour has to appeal to voters across the whole spectrum.

As you rightly say... it is politics. Plain and simple.
Yes, you are 100% correct, it might be added that no other party with a chance of winning power at the next GE will offer the left anything even close to what they want..except Labour.

Electing a national government is not a competitive sport, coming in second or third has no value, the winner takes it all and the truth is we stay with a FPTP system because the vast majority of the British electorate prefer that... or, they don't give toss!

Everybody needs a strong Labour majority government to bring in change... "even those who will ultimately benefit from change, initially reject it" (quote)... but cannot remember who!! ;)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
;)

Yes, you are 100% correct, it might be added that no other party with a chance of winning power at the next GE will offer the left anything even close to what they want..except Labour.

Electing a national government is not a competitive sport, coming in second or third has no value, the winner takes it all and the truth is we stay with a FPTP system because the vast majority of the British electorate prefer that... or, they don't give toss!

Everybody needs a strong Labour majority government to bring in change... "even those who will ultimately benefit from change, initially reject it" (quote)... but cannot remember who!! ;)
Well said.
Do we really want a repeat of the last election outcome.
I do wonder sometimes.

WPMUFC

fecking christ, they even speak to each other like this. :lol:

"Our whip's fecked up? HOW COULD LABOUR DO THIS?"

However, in a move that baffled Conservative MPs, when the Commons came to vote to overturn the opposition motion, the Tory whips did not put up "tellers" - vote counters - and so it could not be held, meaning the opposition motion passed.

This often happens because of disorganisation or confusion about events in the chamber, and often marks a failing of either the Tory whips or the Commons leader's office - figures appointed by Mr Sunak.

Smores

fecking christ, they even speak to each other like this. :lol:

"Our whip's fecked up? HOW COULD LABOUR DO THIS?"

Usually these WhatsApp leaks look quite intentional hence why they include such odd messaging. Not sure exactly who this benefits though and I also like they put 'will' and not would.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What this guy be smokin?

A consequence of the two party duopoly. This nutjob belongs with other nutters like Habib, Tice and Farage, rather than *spits* more 'reasonable' centre right Tories.

Can't wait, whenever it may be, until I no longer have to see his face.

Djemba-Djemba

Another defection this week apparently. Rumours that it could be Theresa May :lol:
I've also read rumours it might not be a traditional defection but that they'll have John Major endorse Starmer and Labour on Thursday.

Having an ex Tory PM come out and say vote Labour at the next election would be really something.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Usually these WhatsApp leaks look quite intentional hence why they include such odd messaging. Not sure exactly who this benefits though and I also like they put 'will' and not would.
Also do they really save one another’s names with ”MP” at the end?!

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
;)

Most people want perpetual opposition because leadership and responsibility is hard. Likewise it's easier to snipe and critique than do.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Also do they really save one another’s names with ”MP” at the end?!
They're egotistical maniacs, of course they do.

My personal favourite is when some 50 year old back bencher sexting messages get leaked and it's always "daddy has to go run the country"

Maticmaker

Do we really want a repeat of the last election outcome.
I do wonder sometimes.
Yes, it's a difficult situation, but I fear we were taught a valuable lesson last time (whether we take notice is another matter), " events happen" as MacMillan observed.....if it had not been for Covid, what would an unbridled 85+ majority Tory government have done?
If they had not had to contend with a pandemic I sometimes wonder just what would have happened?

However, an unbridled majority of the same size would definitely allow Labour to move the dial for most of the population, especially if Starmer wants to appeal across the board and at the same time run a 'tight ship' onboard the Labour Party.

Everything to play for, but size of majority is crucial!

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, it's a difficult situation, but I fear we were taught a valuable lesson last time (whether we take notice is another matter), " events happen" as MacMillan observed.....if it had not been for Covid, what would an unbridled 85+ majority Tory government have done?
If they had not had to contend with a pandemic I sometimes wonder just what would have happened?

However, an unbridled majority of the same size would definitely allow Labour to move the dial for most of the population, especially if Starmer wants to appeal across the board and at the same time run a 'tight ship' onboard the Labour Party.

Everything to play for, but size of majority is crucial!
Yes indeed.
Personally I treat the opinion polls with a big pinch of salt.
Yes I believe Labour will win. But I doubt it will be more than just a small working majority.

The longer Sunak waits, the bigger the risk is to Labour. Especially with slightly improving economic conditions.
Still everything to play for.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline