Westminster Politics

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The world must be a much easier place when you can uncritically swallow whatever the MoD claims to be the case. A quick check confirms that they are lying when they call it a surveillance aircraft.
Its a heavy transport plane... I've flown in them and similar... doing logistics planning surveys with the mod on humanitarian missions

Good range and good vision

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yet it was used for surveillance when I was in it... who would have thought the military can use things for multi role purposes
You can use any aircraft for surveillance, that’s not the point here. The point is its a lie to call it a surveillance aircraft because that is not it’s design or purpose.

Interesting thread here, but note the concurrent view of the MoD’s duplicity about what type of plane it is.

Smores

Look into a few of the racist-lite folks twitter profiles and you'll see they're the folk claiming covid is a lefty over reaction. Ten men on a dingy though and it's a fecking invasion eating at the very fabric of our society.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You can use any aircraft for surveillance, that’s not the point here. The point is its a lie to call it a surveillance aircraft because that is not it’s design or purpose.

Interesting thread here, but note the concurrent view of the MoD’s duplicity about what type of plane it is.
The crews are trained in marine search.. its one of its primary functions and its a marine search operation ... would you rather we let people die at sea?

As I say ive been in them and similar looking for logistic routes in disaster areas for humanitarian convoys

Fluctuation0161

Tip of the iceberg probably. Likely one of the ways the Tories via Cummings are manipulating public opinion.

Government paid Vote Leave AI firm to analyse UK citizens’ tweets
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-leave-ai-firm-to-analyse-uk-citizens-tweets

"Faculty, which was hired by Dominic Cummings to work for the Vote Leave campaign and counts two current and former Conservative ministers among its shareholders, was paid £400,000 by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government for the work..."

"...describes the company’s work as “topic analysis of social media to understand public perception and emerging issues of concern to HMG arising from the Covid-19 crisis”.

A further paragraph describes how machine learning will be applied to social media data.

Silkie Carlo, the director of the civil liberties campaign group Big Brother Watch, which discovered the updated contract, expressed alarm at the details. “This is effectively AI-powered mass political surveillance, and it’s been done in a very secretive way, apparently to inform policy,” she said."

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

a surveillance plane is probably what you would use to check people are not drowning and to direct on the ground support to intercept illegal immigrants
probably not what you would use to "scare people"
I could imagine that a lot of these people have seen similar aircraft flying above their homes before their towns got the shite bombed out of them and the troops came marching in though.

I mean, something a little less imposing wouldn't have been a bad idea if it's not intended to scare folk.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tip of the iceberg porbably. Likely how the Tories via Cummings are manipulating public opinion.

Government paid Vote Leave AI firm to analyse UK citizens’ tweets
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-leave-ai-firm-to-analyse-uk-citizens-tweets

"Faculty, which was hired by Dominic Cummings to work for the Vote Leave campaign and counts two current and former Conservative ministers among its shareholders, was paid £400,000 by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government for the work..."

"...describes the company’s work as “topic analysis of social media to understand public perception and emerging issues of concern to HMG arising from the Covid-19 crisis”.

A further paragraph describes how machine learning will be applied to social media data.

Silkie Carlo, the director of the civil liberties campaign group Big Brother Watch, which discovered the updated contract, expressed alarm at the details. “This is effectively AI-powered mass political surveillance, and it’s been done in a very secretive way, apparently to inform policy,” she said."
Ah good use of money that. Next week: killbots and RoboCops.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I could imagine that a lot of these people have seen similar aircraft flying above their homes before their towns got the shite bombed out of them though.
I dont think so...

Its used to carry equipment... its also used for search and rescue missions at sea as well - exactly like it was doing today...

Its hardly an attack plane or a bomber... even assad was using helicopters for his barrel bombs

Its looking for boats in trouble to direct rescues and presumably directing land based assets to intercept any boats to see if people are illegal immigrants

The flight path seems to show it only operated over UK waters where the uk takes up duty of care it wasnt buzzing people in French waters trying to drive people back

Jericholyte2

Anyone care to argue that this man is a criminal?

BJ on Cummings's trip during lock-down - "I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent. And I do not mark him down for that."
BJ on the man in this picture - "very bad and stupid and dangerous"

The man and his Party (and the general public's apathy) absolutely disgust me!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Anyone care to argue that this man is a criminal?

BJ on Cummings's trip during lock-down - "I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent. And I do not mark him down for that."
BJ on the man in this picture - "very bad and stupid and dangerous"

The man and his Party (and the general public's apathy) absolutely disgust me!
Heartbreaking. Like the poet Warson Shire said, no one puts their children in a boat unless the water is safer than the land. The attitudes to these human beings is awful. Was only a few months ago the very same people were arguing all lives matter.

Jericholyte2

Heartbreaking. Like the poet Warson Shire said, no one puts their children in a boat unless the water is safer than the land. The attitudes to these human beings is awful. Was only a few months ago the very same people were arguing all lives matter.
Absolutely, All Lives Matter(TM) until they arrive in Kent asking for help!

Sweet Square

The UK in the next few years

Daily Mail Island, a reality TV show where several normal people are deposited on an island and not allowed access to any media other than the strongly right-wing, deeply conservative Daily Mail newspaper, leading to them becoming progressively more irrational and brutal as the series progresses — for example, tying teenage lovers together with sacks on their heads and beating them,[5] or sealing a teenager caught masturbating into a coffin filled with broken glass and dog faeces and throwing it over a cliff [6] and their language devolving into rhetorical questions and sarcastic snorts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVGoHome

Fluctuation0161

What are france doing that makes things so dangerous then?
If i was to hazard a guess. Something like this...

More than a thousand refugees suffer 'inhumane' living conditions in Calais and Dunkirk, warns UN

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ng-jungle-migrant-crisis-latest-a8288516.html

Or this...

Calais clamps down as asylum seekers say: 'They just beat us'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/migrants-in-calais-suffering-from-random-police-raids

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If i was to hazard a guess. Something like this...

More than a thousand refugees suffer 'inhumane' living conditions in Calais and Dunkirk, warns UN

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ng-jungle-migrant-crisis-latest-a8288516.html
Yet if they claimed asylum in France they wouldn't be living in those conditions as France houses people away from calais/ Dunkirk.

Pretty sure I'd do that rather than stick my kid in a dinghy and try to cross the worlds busiest shipping lane

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For goodness sake this has been happening for years and years, its not an emergency especially with everything going on in the world right now.

How about we focus on getting out of the recession that we are now in?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You finally stopped pretending that you're not a Tory then?
Why do you need to be a Tory to question the narrative that 'escaping' from France to the UK is the same as fleeing a warzone? The UK sure as feck should be admitting more refugees, but I'm still not hearing a compelling argument for why exactly parents should be risking their kids lives to cross the channel (or indeed live in shitty dangerous refugee camps at Calais) when they're already in a prosperous western Democracy where they can claim asylum.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Why do you need to be a Tory to question the narrative that 'escaping' from France to the UK is the same as fleeing a warzone? The UK sure as feck should be admitting more refugees, but I'm still not hearing a compelling argument for why exactly parents should be risking their kids lives to cross the channel (or indeed live in shitty dangerous refugee camps at Calais) when they're already in a prosperous western Democracy where they can claim asylum.
exactly - not everything is blue or red (or more specifically for many on here are you red enough)
I have some sympathy for the french government in this as well as I doubt many are landing on the southern french coast and walking through France but its incumbent on them to tackle the people trafficking routes through their territory... its a shame the EU response was so lacking to the refugee crisis as its for sure something that would be better tackled with a more unified approach - but people living in camps and risking their kids life to flee France certainly isnt the same as people leaving a warzone

Untied

This is a great way of spinning that we have a zombie economy built on low paid service work.

Smores

Do you? I didn't say that in the slightest as far as i can tell.

I honestly couldn't give a single shit why this small minority of asylum seekers don't stay in France, there's much more important concerns and you'd have to have good justification to try it. Why parents should be risking their kids lives to cross the channel is a very good question but the answer to that is surely because the UK makes it necessary. Yet that question is only asked with the intent to attack the character of asylum seekers isn't it?

Fluctuation0161

Yet if they claimed asylum in France they wouldn't be living in those conditions as France houses people away from calais/ Dunkirk.

Pretty sure I'd do that rather than stick my kid in a dinghy and try to cross the worlds busiest shipping lane
Maybe as a starting point try to think what would drive you to that act of desperation and work back from there.

Might be a more reasonable starting point than, these people are nothing like me, I would never choose to do that etc.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Maybe as a starting point try to think what would drive you to that act of desperation and work back from there.

Might be a more reasonable starting point than, these people are nothing like me, I would never choose to do that etc.
I just dont think the situation in syria is comparable to the current situation in france... do you?