Westminster Politics

Flying high

They will, they know they can ride out these storms and recover. The publics memory is short.
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it feels different this time.

That's not to say that the next eton gobshite that takes over will suffer from this stain.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm getting ever more convinced that Johnson will lead the Tories into the next election and it will be fought on issues like trans women in sports and statues of slave owners rather than the fact that 20% of people in this country live in absolute poverty thanks to this Government.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Peston (copied from Twitter):

The police have today concluded that the PM, the Chancellor and the PM’s wife all attended illegal parties, that breached Covid laws written by the PM. This is most serious for Boris Johnson of the three of them, because it was he who told MPs on 8 December…

that he had been “repeatedly assured” there were no parties and that no Covid rules were broken. He now has the challenge of his life to prove that he did not wilfully and knowingly mislead MPs - because if he did deliberately mislead MPs then he has no choice but to…

resign under the code of conduct for ministers, which he signed off and approved in keeping with normal practice on becoming prime minister. This is perhaps the most important test of the robustness and efficacy of the checks and balances in the British constitution of my…

lifetime. If Tory MPs unthinkingly keep him in office without a proper and public assessment of how parliament was misled, because that is what suits them, and if they blithely ignore the Ministerial Code, then the charge will stick that this or any…

party with a big majority is simply an elected dictatorship, and the constitution means little or nothing. This is not just a slippery slope. It is the bottom of the slope.

FireballXL5

So, the UK is quite literally being run by a bunch of crooks. Glad that's finally been cleared up.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

The police have today concluded that the PM, the Chancellor and the PM’s wife all attended illegal parties, that breached Covid laws written by the PM. This is most serious for Boris Johnson of the three of them, because it was he who told MPs on 8 December…

that he had been “repeatedly assured” there were no parties and that no Covid rules were broken. He now has the challenge of his life to prove that he did not wilfully and knowingly mislead MPs - because if he did deliberately mislead MPs then he has no choice but to…

resign under the code of conduct for ministers, which he signed off and approved in keeping with normal practice on becoming prime minister. This is perhaps the most important test of the robustness and efficacy of the checks and balances in the British constitution of my…

lifetime. If Tory MPs unthinkingly keep him in office without a proper and public assessment of how parliament was misled, because that is what suits them, and if they blithely ignore the Ministerial Code, then the charge will stick that this or any…

party with a big majority is simply an elected dictatorship, and the constitution means little or nothing. This is not just a slippery slope. It is the bottom of the slope.
Wow that's actually good from Peston, who all too often comes across so matey with anyone in power.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

When's the next pmq's... 20th?

Suspect he will try a throw a few people under the bus and look for a distraction or two

The leak about sunaks wife at the same time...

It's all set up for (or by) Gove to end up in charge isn't it ... The return of the saj as chancellor and return of the Dom as chief advisor / pound shop Rasputin

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm getting ever more convinced that Johnson will lead the Tories into the next election and it will be fought on issues like trans women in sports and statues of slave owners rather than the fact that 20% of people in this country live in absolute poverty thanks to this Government.
Hey that's my hot take...

Can Labour not just say they'll renationalise C4 immediately if they win the next election? Would that put potential buyers off?

I mean I know they probably won't but could they?

Also the cynic in me thinks that they're deliberately not doing anything about the energy crisis and people's bills so they can pull a 'rabbit out of the hat' near election time and say, "look we're gonna save you all this money by doing X" (even though they could do more now).

I fully expect the culture wars to go to the next level as well as we get nearer to that date. I reckon trans rights is a shoe in to be used as a political football because that really seems to upset the usual crowds and a fair few more. Also bound to see a replay of 'Keir Strarmer got Jimmy Saville off the hook.'
But yeah, it's depressing because it absolutely will be.

Dan_F

Don't think I'll vote in the locals. Was willing enough to look in to it but my options are Lib Dem, Tory, former Lib Dem Independent and Labour. I don't get the impression the Labour candidate is even attempting a proper run as I can barely find any information about her online, so realistically giving her my support would only be for the sake of Starmer's national vote share and I'm not about to do that at a time Labour is calling for tougher action on climate protestors.
Surely just vote Lib Dem if Labour have no shot?

TheReligion

Abusive
Surely that’s got to be it for Boris now? I can’t see how he stays on. Sunak too perhaps.

If they survive this the country is going to kick off. Rioting this summer.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Surely that’s got to be it for Boris now? I can’t see how he stays on. Sunak too perhaps.

If they survive this the country is going to kick off. Rioting this summer.
No it wont, be a small protest and we will forget by July/August time.

Only question is whether the Tory party throw Johnson under a bus or not, it's the only way he goes.

Smores

No it wont, be a small protest and we will forget by July/August time.

Only question is whether the Tory party throw Johnson under a bus or not, it's the only way he goes.
I think team Bojo has done well to demolish Sunak's reputation as he'd have been the one others put their support in. Will Gove or Truss have the same level of backing to force a NC vote? Doubt it.

They'll sit on their hands until the local election results. If they take a hit then they might turn.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t think so tbh

i also think he will go
The fact the MET have waited until recess to help minimise the impact of this news tells you everything you need to know about his intentions to go.

TheReligion

Abusive
The fact the MET have waited until recess to help minimise the impact of this news tells you everything you need to know about his intentions to go.
I still think he’ll go. Tension is on a knife edge at the moment regarding the cost of living and lack of help from the government. It’s problem after problem, lie after lie.

They may well drag their heels but I’m confident they are done.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
"The PM has got to think hard, and he has got to apologise," says Conservative MP Michael Fabricant.

But he adds he doesn't think Boris Johnson "at any time thought he was breaking the law".

Fabricant argues the prime minister was "just like many teachers and nurses who after a very, very long shift would tend to go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink".

Is there a bigger bellend than this twat?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I still think he’ll go. Tension is on a knife edge at the moment regarding the cost of living and lack of help from the government. It’s problem after problem, lie after lie.

Wonder how many letters are already in with the 1922 committee

If not sufficient now I cant see him lasting past the 5th May elections as even if the conservative MP's dont pull the trigger before then its likley he would face a backlash in the local elections at which point his one saving grace (his supposed electability) is probably shot to pieces and his departure becomes almost certain

to be fair a leadership election is going to be a bloodbath as Rishi is no longer looking like the anointed one ... Saj will take a crack I think, as will Truss, Patel almost certain and of course Gove ... probably Hunt as well... Id say Tugenhat will chuck his hat in the ring

The idea of them tearing chunks out of each other with Boris as a lame duck watching the from the side lines whilst there is prices rising is potentially a dream scenario for labour

Tibs

Bent cops and a bent Government.

This can only mean plus 4 points to the Torys in the opinion polls

TheReligion

Abusive
"The PM has got to think hard, and he has got to apologise," says Conservative MP Michael Fabricant.

But he adds he doesn't think Boris Johnson "at any time thought he was breaking the law".

Fabricant argues the prime minister was "just like many teachers and nurses who after a very, very long shift would tend to go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink".

Is this the fella with the dodgy mop?

Baxter

Quiet telling they think normal people regularly get pissed in their workplaces.
Out of touch cretins.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Don't think I'll vote in the locals. Was willing enough to look in to it but my options are Lib Dem, Tory, former Lib Dem Independent and Labour. I don't get the impression the Labour candidate is even attempting a proper run as I can barely find any information about her online, so realistically giving her my support would only be for the sake of Starmer's national vote share and I'm not about to do that at a time Labour is calling for tougher action on climate protestors.
Just check a tactical vote website and vote against the Tory. Don’t over complicate it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

So why aren't all those teachers and nurses also being found guilty of breaking the covid restrictions and hence being fined then?

MoskvaRed

Fabricant is too thick to come up with a diversionary response and is trying to defend the indefensible with insulting analogies. Most of the other public statements of support that I have seen this afternoon are all about the need for strong leadership during the crisis in Ukraine. I am sure the Met must have tipped off Johnson about the timing of these charges so he could fit in a flying visit to Kiev to bolster his war leader/Churchill image ahead of the shitstorm.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nadine Dorries says that the PM has already given a full apology and that he has her full support.

So the next time anyone gets fined by the police, all you need to do is apologise. And that should be the end of it....

LARulz

Nadine Dorries says that the PM has already given a full apology and that he has her full support.

So the next time anyone gets fined by the police, all you need to do is apologise. And that should be the end of it....
Nadine is such a joke. She would defend him no matter what, it's actually sad how she defends him

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Quiet telling they think normal people regularly get pissed in their workplaces.
Out of touch cretins.
It's a great tactic. You say something so unbelievably stupid that your opposition struggle to respond with anything other than a retort against the stupid thing, or your dimmer supporters believe that nurses and teachers drink at work, or you fool yourself into believing that your cnuty behaviour is common so therefore it's fine.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Don't think I've ever seen a more fitting surname than Fabricant. Is it his real name?

Reads like a rejected draft name for Replicant.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Normally I would say so too but I think Zelensky singing his praises will save him.

Given his character I can't help but wonder if his trip to Kiev was PR knowing what was coming.