Westminster Politics

Fluctuation0161

Yes, teaching the poor and humble masses to read was a big mistake, the silly bastards believe everything that's put in front of them!

(@Fluctuation0161 - sorry I know this is one of your regular 'hobby horses' but couldn't resist ;))
Yeah, nothing to do with this type of mentality dictating education policy.

Is Gavin Williamson the worst education secretary ever?
https://www.theguardian.com/educati...williamson-the-worst-education-secretary-ever

Pupils shouldn’t be criticising Boris Johnson in class, says education secretary

Nadhim Zahawi says students shouldn’t be nailing ‘their colours to the political mast’ in lessons after row over letter-writing exercise

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-nadhim-zahawi-school-children-b2012142.html

If you think the problem is simply with "teaching the masses to read" you are being obtuse. :)

Reiver

Whoever it is will need to take a brief spell out of politics before their inevitable elevation to the House of Lords.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
For the good of this country, Labour, Lib Dems and Greens need to form a coalition with a single point mandate - ending FPTP and ending the Tory stranglehold on this country. No country should be held to hostage by a party which consistently gets 40-45% of the vote and picks up a majority of seats.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Business Secretary has defended Government plans to purchase a "£20 million party house" in New York in a bid to "improve the entertaining capabilities" of British diplomats.

The Mail on Sunday revealed Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is "very supportive" of plans to purchase a 19th Century townhouse from Guy Wildenstein, an art dealer who is facing trial for a £500 million tax fraud.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/minister-defends-govt-plans-20m-new-york-house/

All this during one of the worst living crises in recent history.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The Business Secretary has defended Government plans to purchase a "£20 million party house" in New York in a bid to "improve the entertaining capabilities" of British diplomats.

The Mail on Sunday revealed Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is "very supportive" of plans to purchase a 19th Century townhouse from Guy Wildenstein, an art dealer who is facing trial for a £500 million tax fraud.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/minister-defends-govt-plans-20m-new-york-house/

Oligarchy

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For the good of this country, Labour, Lib Dems and Greens need to form a coalition with a single point mandate - ending FPTP and ending the Tory stranglehold on this country. No country should be held to hostage by a party which consistently gets 40-45% of the vote and picks up a majority of seats.
Wonderful as that might be, I really don't think that ending FPTP and the necessary electoral reform is even on the radar of most people's attention at the moment.
And that 40/45% of the vote is highly optimistic, even discounting the typically low turnout.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Every day another example of saying that they are working on the needs of the British people and in reality, doing just what they want.

FireballXL5

The UK is governed by a sophisticated and entrenched crime syndicate. Has been for centuries.

FireballXL5

I'm not even sure they're especially sophisticated. Everyone knows what they're doing but half the country doesn't seem to care. It's bewildering.
The system is sophisticated enough to ensure nothing will ever substantially change short of a revolution.

Maticmaker

If you think the problem is simply with "teaching the masses to read" you are being obtuse
I was simply trying to be ironic... the first attempt at mass 'schools' was launched mainly by Mill Owners/Landed Gentry etc. as it became a necessity to make sure their workers could understand the more complicated (and hence written) instructions on how to operate machinery and the more complex counting of how much raw material was coming in and finished goods going out, etc.
Unfortunately for the rich and powerful their workers used their new found skills to read other things, like Karl Marks, etc. and of course 'got ideas above their station'.
Up to the arrival of Social Media the rich and powerful had again established supremacy of the written (everyday) word/news through the popular press (much of it right wing as you point out), they once again could control and manipulate ideas and information.

Now through social media (and unbelievably, opportunists like Trump) the poor and humble masses now have another avenue, platform, whatever to find things out!
But of course just like the mill owners found out, for the masses a little learning can be a dangerous thing, especially when ever body presents their view of the world as fact and everyone else's as fiction and there is no real filters except how much money the operators believe you have to spend and they have selected the adverts that should interest you.;)

villain

Hates Beyoncé
We can continue to share articles & tweets that show just how terrible this government is, and how much lower they continue to sink and we all gasp in exasperation.

For me, personally? I'm ready to riot & been ready for years.
I don't need to hear or see anything else because nothing will change until the British public are ready to organise a revolution not seen in decades.

So until then, everything else that comes out is just details and we'll just suffer in silence.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just watching PMQ and Starmer is winding Boris round his little finger on the cost of living crisis and in particular the issue of a windfall tax on the energy companies excess profits.

All he keeps boasting about is his so called strong economy while everyone knows people are struggling now.
And for the vast majority of people, he and his man of the people billionaire chancellor have done and are doing precisely f all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We can continue to share articles & tweets that show just how terrible this government is, and how much lower they continue to sink and we all gasp in exasperation.

For me, personally? I'm ready to riot & been ready for years.
I don't need to hear or see anything else because nothing will change until the British public are ready to organise a revolution not seen in decades.

So until then, everything else that comes out is just details and we'll just suffer in silence.
As someone who lived through the protests and strikes of the 1970's, there is no doubt in my mind that painful as they were, they did at least focus the government attention on the key issues.

But sadly, those days are gone. As has the public appetite for meaningful protests and action.

There are too many more pressing issues like Depp v Heard and Rooney v Vardy......

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

When you have an 80 seat majority, optics don't matter.

Maticmaker

You mean in centuries, the English Civil war solved nothing.... because no written constitution emerged at the end of it and so everything went back to 'precedence' and guess who had the monopoly on establishing precedence?

England is conservative (with a small 'c') by nature and England dominates the other members of the UK, its why Labour cannot win in Westminster without a major presence in Scotland; the 'Union' really can work, when its second largest party can ''get a grip' north of the border... but it doesn't look like being any time soon.

F-Red

Who do we think it is?
Mark Francois.
That was my first guess as well. Seems like the type but then I'd imagine it wouldn't take a lot to fight off that baked potato.
I thought I heard on the news the MP was aged 50, Francois is 56.

I suppose they might've said in his 50s...
From the MP absent in the chamber today, it looks like the flag fanatic from Romford.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
As someone who lived through the protests and strikes of the 1970's, there is no doubt in my mind that painful as they were, they did at least focus the government attention on the key issues.

But sadly, those days are gone. As has the public appetite for meaningful protests and action.

There are too many more pressing issues like Depp v Heard and Rooney v Vardy......
You only need to see how much the activism put forth by Rashford on twitter alone was enough to change course for this Government. As terrible of a human being Boris is, above all else, he's narcissistic enough to care about being liked by the public - and applying pressure with protests is the only way that this Government will understand the sentiment of the British public.
But like you said, those days are gone.

You mean in centuries, the English Civil war solved nothing.... because no written constitution emerged at the end of it and so everything went back to 'precedence' and guess who had the monopoly on establishing precedence?

England is conservative (with a small 'c') by nature and England dominates the other members of the UK, its why Labour cannot win in Westminster without a major presence in Scotland; the 'Union' really can work, when its second largest party can ''get a grip' north of the border... but it doesn't look like being any time soon.
I don't think England is that conservative, I think that's far too simplistic and overblown, plus there have been studies that show that support for left wing policies isn't in the minority when it is presented objectively.
The real issue is that the average Brit doesn't mind suffering as long as there's someone else who they deem to be below them (whether it be class, race, age, religion, post code etc) who is suffering more. It's a nation of crabs in the bucket mentality - they don't want to give, unless it means they receive more - and in doing so the majority suffer more, which obviously benefits the Tories.

TheGame

I simply do not see the point of PMQs. Johnson is allowed to get away with not answering a single question and just coming back with soundbites at which the gammon behind him end up cheering. It's actually quite pathetic that the speaker sits there and does feck all and that this is the state of politics in the country where any scrutiny or holding the Government to account is whitewashed.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I simply do not see the point of PMQs. Johnson is allowed to get away with not answering a single question and just coming back with soundbites at which the gammon behind him end up cheering. It's actually quite pathetic that the speaker sits there and does feck all and that this is the state of politics in the country where any scrutiny or holding the Government to account is whitewashed.
Was it Lindsay Hoyle again today?

He’s absolutely weak as piss when it comes to Johnson. He gives the impression that he’s hard on him but when it comes down to it he lets him get away with everything and protects him from any and every accusation.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

As a matter of interest in all the times you have voted in your lifetime, how many times did your vote actually really count? It only really counts if you live in a marginal seat. When I lived in the UK, the first time I voted, I voted Labour and Labour won the seat by a few hundred votes at best, possibly less. The second time I voted was the 1975 European referendum which was a direct vote and actually counted. After that, living in constituencies with massive majorities, any vote was pointless. Then I left for France and obtaining French citizenship I voted in this year's presidental election which is a direct vote, not depending on where you live. So between 1975 and 2022 I may as well not have had a vote at all.
The system has to change in the UK.

TheGame

Was it Lindsay Hoyle again today?

He’s absolutely weak as piss when it comes to Johnson. He gives the impression that he’s hard on him but when it comes down to it he lets him get away with everything and protects him from any and every accusation.
Yep he's weak but as soon as anyone does anything procedurally incorrect, he's all over them. The public want the PM to answer questions, they don't fecking care about procedures.

It's not as the speaker to say to the PM, could you answer the fecking question otherwise what is point of the Speaker being there.