Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I simply do not see the point of PMQs. Johnson is allowed to get away with not answering a single question and just coming back with soundbites at which the gammon behind him end up cheering. It's actually quite pathetic that the speaker sits there and does feck all and that this is the state of politics in the country where any scrutiny or holding the Government to account is whitewashed.
Got to fully agree with you about that. While I sometimes watch or listen to it, Boris is just taking the piss out of what should be parliamentary democracy.
He knows the leader of the opposition gets 6 questions and makes zero attempt at answering any of them, preferring to go off on a complete tangent.
And week after week he gets away with it.
Just taking the piss.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yep he's weak but as soon as anyone does anything procedurally incorrect, he's all over them. The public want the PM to answer questions, they don't fecking care about procedures.

It's not as the speaker to say to the PM, could you answer the fecking question otherwise what is point of the Speaker being there.
Exactly that.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Business Secretary has defended Government plans to purchase a "£20 million party house" in New York in a bid to "improve the entertaining capabilities" of British diplomats.

The Mail on Sunday revealed Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is "very supportive" of plans to purchase a 19th Century townhouse from Guy Wildenstein, an art dealer who is facing trial for a £500 million tax fraud.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/minister-defends-govt-plans-20m-new-york-house/

All this during one of the worst living crises in recent history.
:lol:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As a matter of interest in all the times you have voted in your lifetime, how many times did your vote actually really count? It only really counts if you live in a marginal seat. When I lived in the UK, the first time I voted, I voted Labour and Labour won the seat by a few hundred votes at best, possibly less. The second time I voted was the 1975 European referendum which was a direct vote and actually counted. After that, living in constituencies with massive majorities, any vote was pointless. Then I left for France and obtaining French citizenship I voted in this year's presidental election which is a direct vote, not depending on where you live. So between 1975 and 2022 I may as well not have had a vote at all.
The system has to change in the UK.
While I do understand the point you are making, when you cast your vote, you don't really know what the outcome is going to be. At least in principle anyway.
I don't like the current UK voting system that much.
But I don't trust the buggers enough to want them to change it either.
I am a firm believer in the saying... be careful what you wish for. And the law of unintended consequences.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
While I do understand the point you are making, when you cast your vote, you don't really know what the outcome is going to be. At least in principle anyway.
I don't like the current UK voting system that much.
But I don't trust the buggers enough to want them to change it either.
I am a firm believer in the saying... be careful what you wish for. And the law of unintended consequences.
Unless there are very special circumstances like a couple of the recent byelections in the UK where there was some scandal with the MP, if you live in a rural constituency with a Tory majority of say 20000 you know full well that if you stay there, a Tory MP will be your MP for the rest of your life. There's a chance in urban areas there may be some change..
If you actually directly elect the PM rather than your local constituency MP surely this must be much more democratic.

You mustn't be frightened of change because not changing is sinking the UK lower and lower into the mire to a point where there may be no possible way out and you'll be in a one party state which seems to be the intention anyway.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Unless there are very special circumstances like a couple of the recent byelections in the UK where there was some scandal with the MP, if you live in a rural constituency with a Tory majority of say 20000 you know full well that if you stay there, a Tory MP will be your MP for the rest of your life. There's a chance in urban areas there may be some change..
If you actually directly elect the PM rather than your local constituency MP surely this must be much more democratic.

You mustn't be frightened of change because not changing is sinking the UK lower and lower into the mire to a point where there may be no possible way out and you'll be in a one party state which seems to be the intention anyway.
Again. I do understand what you are saying and I agree, in principle.
But I have been around plenty long enough to have developed a healthy mistrust of not just politicians, but people in positions of power in general.
They all say that they are in it to 'make a difference'.
Yeah right.
But in the vast majority of cases, power corrupts and nobody gives up power without a fight.
Making elections fairer as far as I am concerned is very much like those unicorns you mentioned regarding Brexit.
That doesn't mean we ought not try. But nobody is leading that charge.

TheGame

Got to fully agree with you about that. While I sometimes watch or listen to it, Boris is just taking the piss out of what should be parliamentary democracy.
He knows the leader of the opposition gets 6 questions and makes zero attempt at answering any of them, preferring to go off on a complete tangent.
And week after week he gets away with it.
Just taking the piss.
And then dumb feckers vote for his party. Shambles all round.

Paul the Wolf

Again. I do understand what you are saying and I agree, in principle.
But I have been around plenty long enough to have developed a healthy mistrust of not just politicians, but people in positions of power in general.
They all say that they are in it to 'make a difference'.
Yeah right.
But in the vast majority of cases, power corrupts and nobody gives up power without a fight.
Making elections fairer as far as I am concerned is very much like those unicorns you mentioned regarding Brexit.
That doesn't mean we ought not try. But nobody is leading that charge.
My opinion of politicians is no better than yours but you've got to give yourself a chance, somehow.
None of the politicians want to change because they're quite happy as they are.

If you can't change the system straight away, you need a decent opposition. Having weak people like Corbyn and Starmer as opposition leaders has helped the Tories bulldoze their way through British politics; Someone has to have backbone and not be scared because their way of trying to please everybody and nobody definitely doesn't work.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He would not have said it if it was going to poll badly. Depressingly.
True, but it wouldn't matter if it polled badly either.

Johnson could go up to the dispatch box and say "Starmer is a cnut". As soon as Starmer responded with "I can't believe you just called me a cnut" the headlines would be 'classless Starmer breaks rules by swearing in Parliament'.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My opinion of politicians is no better than yours but you've got to give yourself a chance, somehow.
None of the politicians want to change because they're quite happy as they are.

If you can't change the system straight away, you need a decent opposition. Having weak people like Corbyn and Starmer as opposition leaders has helped the Tories bulldoze their way through British politics; Someone has to have backbone and not be scared because their way of trying to please everybody and nobody definitely doesn't work.
Backbone certainly lacking. The only party who makes the case is the Liberals. And at the time of an election, they become irrelevant.
But nobody I speak to has any interest in this as a subject.
I guess we have become accustomed to a GE every 5 years for good or bad.
The last important thing we changed was Brexit.
Enough said.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m convinced this is now sabotage by Sunak. He’s a disaster capitalist and his family and friends are going to be pillaging the country as it breaks down.
For a guy hotly tipped to replace Boris only a matter of weeks ago, his political career has taken a Manchester United type nose dive hasn't it.
When people were lauding him for chucking money around during the pandemic, I was highly sceptical about him and his abilities when things got tough.
He is just an imposter with no substance.

Maticmaker

I don't think England is that conservative, I think that's far too simplistic and overblown, plus there have been studies that show that support for left wing policies isn't in the minority when it is presented objectively.
It is in my experience, but as I said, with a small 'c', we are basically still at heart an island race, despite of lots of immigrants over the centuries (not just since EU) and despite lots of arguments against it, by the time second and third generations appear on the scene, many have 'gone native' and become small 'c' conservative, in outlook, if not actually in politics and don't welcome change; although once it happens we seem to embrace it much quicker... bit of a paradox that!

Agreed, support for left wing policies can be shown in lots of studies, for most left wing policies its hard not to agree, even for Tories, but when it comes to voting...ah well that's a different matter.

As a matter of interest in all the times you have voted in your lifetime, how many times did your vote actually really count? It only really counts if you live in a marginal seat. When I lived in the UK, the first time I voted, I voted Labour and Labour won the seat by a few hundred votes at best, possibly less. The second time I voted was the 1975 European referendum which was a direct vote and actually counted. After that, living in constituencies with massive majorities, any vote was pointless. Then I left for France and obtaining French citizenship I voted in this year's presidental election which is a direct vote, not depending on where you live. So between 1975 and 2022 I may as well not have had a vote at all.
The system has to change in the UK.
I agree, except for referendums, where a vote is directly focused on a person or an outcome, most of my votes have been immaterial to the outcome. Except strangely in local elections, I do remember at least three, or possibly four local outcomes where my choice of candidate won with majorities of less than a 100, so I always felt "I made a difference".
We don't elect a President so it won't happen in the UK, votes go to individuals who supposedly follow the party line. I think the idea is that local people (who should stand) will know the needs of the area, but will toe the party line when the whips get going. Trouble is its rarely local people who do stand these days, party favourites' are 'parachuted in' and the local party toes the line and tries to get them elected; I'm afraid the FPTP works, for professional politicians and they will not allow it to change.... unless we do manage at some point to come up with a written constitution.

I suspect this idea that all the left leaning parties should stand on one united ticket of 'change the FPTP system' is doomed, especially in Scotland and Wales who under devolution enjoy power in their own domain, they will likely be reluctant to chance their arm to help out England.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I could have sworn that we've been told that things are going to get tough by Sunak and Johnson at least three times already this year?
Correct.
But anyway. Boris is going to sort out the cost of living crisis.
He is going to change the car MoT test from every year to every 2 years.
Sorted.

Sweet Square

As someone who lived through the protests and strikes of the 1970's, there is no doubt in my mind that painful as they were, they did at least focus the government attention on the key issues.

But sadly, those days are gone. As has the public appetite for meaningful protests and action.

There are too many more pressing issues like Depp v Heard and Rooney v Vardy......
It has less do with the viewing habits of the general public and more to do with the destruction of the trade union movement and the welfare state over the decades. Meaningful protests and action requires people to be organised.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It has less do with the viewing habits of the general public and more to do with the destruction of the trade union movement and the welfare state over the decades. Meaningful protests and action requires people to be organised.
Very much so, yes. That is a fair point.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
You wonder how people keep voting Tory, but then reading the comment section in right wing media underlines the fact most people do have horrible right wing views. I always assumed the DM/Tel commenters were a minority, but I guess that is the 40% that always votes Tory no matter what.

Like this piece about the Aviva CEO getting sexist abuse at the company's AGM last week. Raising the issue is 'woke garbage' and she's only CEO as a box-ticking thing, naturally, ignoring the shares are up 76% during her tenure (an admittedly crude barometer of success). It's depressing reading, but most of the electorate are horrible bigoted people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...e-not-whether-wear-trousers-says-aviva-chief/

TheGame

You wonder how people keep voting Tory, but then reading the comment section in right wing media underlines the fact most people do have horrible right wing views. I always assumed the DM/Tel commenters were a minority, but I guess that is the 40% that always votes Tory no matter what.

Like this piece about the Aviva CEO getting sexist abuse at the company's AGM last week. Raising the issue is 'woke garbage' and she's only CEO as a box-ticking thing, naturally, ignoring the shares are up 76% during her tenure (an admittedly crude barometer of success). It's depressing reading, but most of the electorate are horrible bigoted people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...e-not-whether-wear-trousers-says-aviva-chief/
It's all the immigrants fault.

TheGame

For a guy hotly tipped to replace Boris only a matter of weeks ago, his political career has taken a Manchester United type nose dive hasn't it.
When people were lauding him for chucking money around during the pandemic, I was highly sceptical about him and his abilities when things got tough.
He is just an imposter with no substance.
He's tried to stay out of the bad stories and tried to sell good ones with his social media image selling us his crap however he has been exposed for just another self centred Tory MP who is just incompetent and doesn't care about the public.

Maticmaker

Yet, the trade unions still keep paying political levies to the major opposition party who appoints hopeless leaders with no hope of winning elections, who have a significant number of shadow cabinet members who send their kids to private schools, yet continual demand better state school provision, who ignore (and have done for years) its true supporters and when in power did nothing to reverse the effects of Thatchers reign.
Labour will never hold real power because when they have it they don't know what to do with it!

Its enough to drive anyone to read the Daily Mail ;):angel:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
People under 50 spend their lives trying to work out how 40 percent of people vote Tory when most people they meet don't seem to be sadists when the answer is that you're not talking to that many people over 50.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
People under 50 spend their lives trying to work out how 40 percent of people vote Tory when most people they meet don't seem to be sadists when the answer is that you're not talking to that many people over 50.
Not just under 50.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
thank goodness that waste of tax payer money enquiry is over. now johnson can get back to really wasting tax payer money and funnelling moolah through his chum’s
pockets.

Fluctuation0161

Yet, the trade unions still keep paying political levies to the major opposition party who appoints hopeless leaders with no hope of winning elections, who have a significant number of shadow cabinet members who send their kids to private schools, yet continual demand better state school provision, who ignore (and have done for years) its true supporters and when in power did nothing to reverse the effects of Thatchers reign.
Labour will never hold real power because when they have it they don't know what to do with it!

Its enough to drive anyone to read the Daily Mail ;):angel:
It really doesn't makes sense to bemoan that unions are not effective enough, so as a response, jump over to support the right wing rags or politicians who will implement the exact opposite of what you claim you wanted from trade unions in the first place.

It's nonsensical.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So from what I gather from Twitter, more fines have been handed out to junior staffers for attending illegal parties and which Johnson also attended inky Johnson has not been fined because he was somehow there.. legally?

cafecillos

They are 100% aware of the impunity of their strategic and systematic lying, and, as the scum they are, they are 100% willing to take full advantage of that too, and so the lies are becoming more and more frequent and more and more blatant and grotesque.

Paul the Wolf

Stuck in a poorly paid job?

Thinking of changing your career?

Don't have the necessary competence?

Worry not!
We have just the job for you!

A high salary with limitless expenses!
No requirement to know what you should be doing.
If you make a mistake, there are no recriminations.
If you break the law, even better!

Become a member of the Conservative Party Cabinet today!​