Westminster Politics

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So, your government pays Palantir 360m to give them access to the NHS patient databases? That's brilliantly evil
Evil yes, but brilliant is not a word I would use to describe anyone in government at the moment.

Reiver

Cameron ruined BBC impartiality. Boris drove a stake through it.

Channel 4 news, although it has its flaws, is the only TV news which doesn't serve the Tories purpose. That's why they want to get rid of it.
I've also thought BoJo has a personal beef with them since they replaced him with an ice sculpture during the leadership debates and wouldn't allow another Tory to take his place.

F-Red

8.6% in the USA as well.

Interesting that Sunak has been sitting out of the spotlight whilst the economy is tanking, measures are needed.

cafecillos

This is how things would look under a Labour government
That's true, and they've made their point brilliantly but now is the time for some awesome Tory solutions. Otherwise some (not me) may start thinking the party in government for the last 12 years may have something to do with all this. Not me though, it's clear this is a full-blown Labour dystopia. They are so powerful, shrewd and dangerous they've managed to get Britons into this despite being in power for only 13 years in the last 43. Imagine where we'd be had they been in power a bit longer.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
That's true, and they've made their point brilliantly but now is the time for some awesome Tory solutions. Otherwise some (not me) may start thinking the party in government for the last 12 years may have something to do with all this. Not me though, it's clear this is a full-blown Labour dystopia. They are so powerful, shrewd and dangerous they've managed to get Britons into this despite being in power for only 13 years in the last 43. Imagine where we'd be had they been in power a bit longer.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd say its a pretty good thing we got to see the 1970s yesterday given we've been living in 1890 for the past year and half. Finally moving to modern times!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am very comfortable but I fundamentally believe society should not be a zero-sum game. All classes benefit from a healthy and fair society. Look at how much the American economy sufferes from millions not having access to healthcare. The entire purpose of the Tory party is to destroy society by constantly taking from the poor. They are morally repugnant. I hate them and almost hate the people who vote for them.
The greatest trick the coservatives have oulled is to trick the working class into believe they care about the commin man. I have mingled with some of these people. They have nothing but contempt for the people that vote for them and mock them in private.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The strike is popular right now and polling well. Make no mistake, the tide will turn, it always does.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would be hilarious if a bunch of Unions lead strike action under the Tories and it‘s what eventually gets them kicked out of power.

Teachers and Nurses should have a huge amount of public support for fairer pay despite what the right wing press will print.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nice.
Hopefully the emergency services, bin disposal, cleaning services etc aren't too far behind.
I saw someone on Twitter suggest a general strike might be on the cards and thought it was hyperbole. At 9% inflation, with gas prices so high… I’m starting to think it might happen…

MUW4Eva

What would happen if EVERYONE just went on strike??
That would be immensely powerful.

caid

What would happen if EVERYONE just went on strike??
That would be immensely powerful.
It would be powerful but not something to be done lightly. There'd be an attempt to just wait it out and it'd be a lot easier for them than it would for a lot of the people striking for obvious reasons.

MUW4Eva

Are you talking about industrial action (i.e. against an employer) or a protest against the government?
Both I suppose, something needs to be done, as the current way of doing things, really is only working for the very rich, or those who get handouts (MP's)...

TheGame

I am very comfortable but I fundamentally believe society should not be a zero-sum game. All classes benefit from a healthy and fair society. Look at how much the American economy sufferes from millions not having access to healthcare. The entire purpose of the Tory party is to destroy society by constantly taking from the poor. They are morally repugnant. I hate them and almost hate the people who vote for them.
The greatest trick the coservatives have oulled is to trick the working class into believe they care about the commin man. I have mingled with some of these people. They have nothing but contempt for the people that vote for them and mock them in private.
This is what they have been doing and the thick people have bought it hook, line and sinker. I mean Brexiteers still people like Rees Mogg and Farage are fighting with them against the elite.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Same and I can say a universal trait they all seem to carry is an overwhelming sense of smug self importance that belies any actual level of competence at whatever it is they do. The absolute worst of society.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I saw someone on Twitter suggest a general strike might be on the cards and thought it was hyperbole. At 9% inflation, with gas prices so high… I’m starting to think it might happen…
I've been calling for it for months

I am once again asking why this country isn't currently rioting against these unserious politicians
They need to be held to account, they know the British public is used to putting their collective heads down and getting on with it, but quite frankly we've been sleepwalking into our own death for the best part of a decade.

neverdie

should read: "As thousands of ordinary working class Britons stand up for the interests of millions of ordinary working class Britons, all hit by fifteen years of savage austerity-driven public sector cuts, the dailymail and sundry other elite attack dogs posing as public interest press use any and all means of attack to sow division and transfer blame from the richest to the poorest."

headlines like this are as authoritarian as anything you will find in banana republics. to frame it as "when we went back to the 1970s" by using the image of a picket line and Thatcher's first election slogan of "labour isn't working" is dystopian. it's because of the Thatcher and Blairite years of neoliberal economics and the economic crashes each brought followed by austerity that people are in this position to begin with. closer to the 1870s than the 1970s.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Shoring up the votes for the next election. Ludicrous to solely address that demographic given the current dynamic of inflation.
Firstly the State Pension for 2022/23 was 3.1%. At a time when the inflation rate has gone beyond 9%.
And secondly not everyone trying to live on the State Pension is a Tory voter.
Thirdly the current dynamic of inflation has absolutely nothing to do with pensions or wage increases. That is simply a lie being peddled by the government.

F-Red

Firstly the State Pension for 2022/23 was 3.1%. At a time when the inflation rate has gone beyond 9%.
And secondly not everyone trying to live on the State Pension is a Tory voter.
Thirdly the current dynamic of inflation has absolutely nothing to do with pensions or wage increases. That is simply a lie being peddled by the government.
Quite an obvious point you make, but Tories poll three times higher in the pension age category than any other. It’s an easy policy for the to shore up some votes in that demographic.

Pension credits instead of the triple lock should have been the most sensible way forward in this respect, meaning those that need the support get it rather than a blanket uplift across all state pensions.

Reiver

should read: "As thousands of ordinary working class Britons stand up for the interests of millions of ordinary working class Britons, all hit by fifteen years of savage austerity-driven public sector cuts, the dailymail and sundry other elite attack dogs posing as public interest press use any and all means of attack to sow division and transfer blame from the richest to the poorest."

headlines like this are as authoritarian as anything you will find in banana republics. to frame it as "when we went back to the 1970s" by using the image of a picket line and Thatcher's first election slogan of "labour isn't working" is dystopian. it's because of the Thatcher and Blairite years of neoliberal economics and the economic crashes each brought followed by austerity that people are in this position to begin with. closer to the 1870s than the 1970s.
Completely agree.

The whole headline jumps about as if the editor is drunk on rage and then has a stroke and thinks it's the 70s again.
How can they link the strike to some failing of Labour's? You don't have to be leftwing to support a strike. It almost reads as if they want Starmer to be on the picket line.