Westminster Politics

F-Red

People say the longer Boris stays on the better, but the longer this government stays in power the longer it takes to undo the damage they keep inflicting. Think of all the laws that will have to be debated and repealed. The laws on protesting, the bill of rights, the deportation scheme, the NI protocol etc. etc.

The first years will be full on damage limitation. And then there’s also trying to tackle the inflation and cost of living crisis.
I agree to a large extent, but the removal of Boris will almost certainly mean another Tory term of parliament. So it's a bit of a balance between another painful couple of years, or long term pain over the next 7.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
People say the longer Boris stays on the better, but the longer this government stays in power the longer it takes to undo the damage they keep inflicting. Think of all the laws that will have to be debated and repealed. The laws on protesting, the bill of rights, the deportation scheme, the NI protocol etc. etc.

The first years will be full on damage limitation. And then there’s also trying to tackle the inflation and cost of living crisis.
Oh I know the damage will continue and would love nothing more than change. A lot of the Tory voters in the last election are working class people who will be facing the consequences more than others.

Let’s not forget the 07-09 global recession which was portrayed by the Tory’s and the tabloids as some sort of issue exclusive to the UK and solely labours fault. And that they can’t be trusted with money because of a global recession.

These exact same games will come out again if another party takes over. The Tory’s lead us into this mess and I’m sadistically taking a lot of satisfaction in watching them squirm.

In no rush to change government until we’re over the worst of this because if we do all the failings of the last decade will be blamed on which ever party takes over.

Im ready to strap in and enjoy the ride. The Tory government is the single biggest threat to the UK so let’s allow them to continue digging themselves into a hole which is hopefully to deep to recover from for a long time.

Secret Agent Boris is doing a sterling job for the other parties.

All we need next is a change to STV model for voting next and that will see the end of the Tory’s for a very long time.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
I think even if he stays until the GE and the Tories lose, we'd have 4 years of Labour and in that time the newspapers would predictably assault those in charge until we vote Tory again at the end next one and we're back to where we started.

I dunno, just feel very pessimistic about the state of politics these days. I find it very hard to see this country not voting the Tories in for the majority of the next few GEs.
A move to STV would help a lot in my opinion. Not sure what all would be required though to be able to implement such a thing.

If labour held a majority at the next election could they hypothetically push through election reform themselves to STV system?

F-Red

He's invisible at the minute, at a time where strong economic measures are needed. Only thing he can talk about is £330. He's as useful as wet toilet paper.

On a related subject, I was on a call this morning with a logistics partner (multi-billion dollar organisation) who provide services for the company I work and they're preparing themselves for a global recession. Slowing investment, forecasting zero growth and expecting on-going upwards cost pressure.

It'll become undoubtably clear, if it isn't already, in the next few months that Sunak doesn't actually have a strategy or plan.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
In Northern Ireland we use STV and I feel it’s much more representative of peoples opinions. I believe France and other countries use the same or a similar system.

If such a model was applied in the UK then I think the Tory’s would be impacted most by it.

I imagine in such a system the Tory’s would be like the DUP in NI where they will receive a lot of first preference votes but very little transfers except from a few right wing extremist parties.

Whereas for Labour/Lib Dem/Green/SNP etc.. I imagine these parties would be much more transfer friendly to each other (with the exception of Lib Dem voters down south who may choose Tory above Labour).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's invisible at the minute, at a time where strong economic measures are needed. Only thing he can talk about is £330. He's as useful as wet toilet paper.

On a related subject, I was on a call this morning with a logistics partner (multi-billion dollar organisation) who provide services for the company I work and they're preparing themselves for a global recession. Slowing investment, forecasting zero growth and expecting on-going upwards cost pressure.

It'll become undoubtably clear, if it isn't already, in the next few months that Sunak doesn't actually have a strategy or plan.
I think he fundamentally isn't very good at economics which is quite funny when you consider that he's one of the few Tory MPs with actual career experience in the field he's overseeing. His handling of QE and such during and after the Covid lockdowns smacks of a man who doesn't understand how inflation works at all, he just dully repeats back rote economic dogma.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think he fundamentally isn't very good at economics which is quite funny when you consider that he's one of the few Tory MPs with actual career experience in the field he's overseeing. His handling of QE and such during and after the Covid lockdowns smacks of a man who doesn't understand how inflation works at all, he just dully repeats back rote economic dogma.
He’s bogged down in two things - conservative ideals and being beholden to Tory donors and no doubt his family connections too.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The size of the lead and swings fluctuate a lot depending on pollster, but Labour has had a lead consistently for 6 months now. If Boris remains, Starmer will be PM, the numbers seem to be consistent on that. Very reminiscent of Biden v Trump in both polling and politics.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The size of the lead and swings fluctuate a lot depending on pollster, but Labour has had a lead consistently for 6 months now. If Boris remains, Starmer will be PM, the numbers seem to be consistent on that. Very reminiscent of Biden v Trump in both polling and politics.
Do you think there's a chance of that?

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Tell me this lads. What do you all think of the House of Lords? Anyone a supporter of it?

DOTA

Tell me this lads. What do you all think of the House of Lords? Anyone a supporter of it?
In theory bad. In practice, it makes it slightly harder for the Tories to do awful stuff.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The only way Boris leads them to a GE is if they want to lose the election and let Labour deal with the burden of the economy while the gutter press spend the term attacking them for not achieving anything. Leading to them picking up where they left off a few years down the line.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The only way Boris leads them to a GE is if they want to lose the election and let Labour deal with the burden of the economy while the gutter press spend the term attacking them for not achieving anything. Leading to them picking up where they left off a few years down the line.
Which is precisely what will happen.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
In theory bad. In practice, it makes it slightly harder for the Tories to do awful stuff.
But also makes it slightly harder for labour (or other elected governments) to do good stuff.

Don’t think we should be having unelected people making decisions for the people in a democratic society myself.

DOTA

But also makes it slightly harder for labour (or other elected governments) to do good stuff.

Don’t think we should be having unelected people making decisions for the people in a democratic society myself.
A very theoretical problem.

Superden

its all been added to by brexit loonies who decried this great country being governed by unelected bureaucrats, and were rewarded for their part in winning brexit, by being made peers by Boris, to serve as unelected bureaucrats... more winning.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interesting that the new Head of the Army has stated that the UK armed forces have got to get used to the challenge that they will need to be ready to fight a potential war alongside our allies against Russia.
That is all well and good to have a strategy.
But at the same time, the MoD is going ahead with their plans to reduce the number of Army soldiers by a further 10,000. While providing Ukraine with significant amounts of defensive end offensive weapons, leaving the Army critically short of equipment.

Bet Putin is shaking with fright.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We're lucky in that there are actually some very sensible people in it - more so than in the commons. There are also many lazy, incompetent lunatics sponging off the public purse of course, and fundamentally it is not an appropriate way of governing in the modern world. Ought to be replaced with a People's Assembly or something I think ideally.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Do you think there's a chance of that?

I'm just looking at the numbers :lol: Don't really follow your news apart from whatever comes up on twitter.
But this is the best labour polling for 10 years probably. corbyn did have a consistent lead for 6 months in 2017, but i think it was narrower. Looking through wiki, Miliband had a nice lead for about a year in 2012, which evaporated.

DOTA

I'm just looking at the numbers :lol: Don't really follow your news apart from whatever comes up on twitter.
But this is the best labour polling for 10 years probably. corbyn did have a consistent lead for 6 months in 2017, but i think it was narrower. Looking through wiki, Miliband had a nice lead for about a year in 2012, which evaporated.
Wise.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Corbyn would have been an excellent leader. Literally leads by example.

Starmer I'm not particularly a fan of to be honest, too centrist for me. But better than any Tory.

Would love to see Andy Burnham as labour leader. Not too clued up on Mick Lynch's political views but think he's the sort of person alot of people could get behind too.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Corbyn would have been an excellent leader. Literally leads by example.

Starmer I'm not particularly a fan of to be honest, too centrist for me. But better than any Tory.

Would love to see Andy Burnham as labour leader. Not too clued up on Mick Lynch's political views but think he's the sort of person alot of people could get behind too.
Well the country decided otherwise. By a significant margin. And I had no confidence in his leadership abilities.
He didn't even want to be party leader.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Well the country decided otherwise. By a significant margin. And I had no confidence in his leadership abilities.
He didn't even want to be party leader.
Aye and the country also decided for brexit and to elect a Tory government for a decade which has broken all the wrong records from deficit and debt to homelessness, child poverty and nhs waiting times to record numbers of billionaires, multiple home owners and inequality

So I think I can say with confidence that Joe Public who bases their politics off Jim at the pub or the Daily Mail/Sun, aren’t actually the most informed, just the most easily mislead.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Aye and the country also decided for brexit and to elect a Tory government for a decade which has broken all the wrong records from deficit and debt to homelessness, child poverty and nhs waiting times to record numbers of billionaires, multiple home owners and inequality

So I think I can say with confidence that Joe Public who bases their politics off Jim at the pub or the Daily Mail/Sun, aren’t actually the most informed, just the most easily mislead.
Difficult to argue with that.
But I had little confidence in Corbyn. Just didn't rate him.

Superden

if the opposition are clever, they would tie up the supreme court rulings in the states with the tories here. after all there's lots of links between the republicans and tories, through all kinds of funding streams and lobby groups / think tanks. pin down the senior tories views on abortion and lets see how that plays with their friends in the batshit crazy MAGA world. no doubt there is a anti-abortion lobby in the UK, but its small (i aint calling it pro life, because lets be honest, they dont give a shit about the actual babies once they are born) and it would be polling suicide for the tories to replicate some of their republican friends ideas in print over here. Whereas views on gun laws are seen as almost specific to the the USA and its constitution and thus UK politicians views are immaterial, ideas on limiting / banning access to abortion would cut through on this side of the big pond.

DOTA

if the opposition are clever, they would tie up the supreme court rulings in the states with the tories here. after all there's lots of links between the republicans and tories, through all kinds of funding streams and lobby groups / think tanks. pin down the senior tories views on abortion and lets see how that plays with their friends in the batshit crazy MAGA world. no doubt there is a anti-abortion lobby in the UK, but its small (i aint calling it pro life, because lets be honest, they dont give a shit about the actual babies once they are born) and it would be polling suicide for the tories to replicate some of their republican friends ideas in print over here. Whereas views on gun laws are seen as almost specific to the the USA and its constitution and thus UK politicians views are immaterial, ideas on limiting / banning access to abortion would cut through on this side of the big pond.
Not a box I'd be happy to open.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Enter DUP :lol:

Superden

How long before it will be illegal to vote for anyone other than the Conservatives.

You laugh? - wave a flag!
the sheer hypocrisy when you consider what would have happened if the brexit party hadnt stood down their candidates at the last election....

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

How long before it will be illegal to vote for anyone other than the Conservatives.

You laugh? - wave a flag!
What about when brexit party stood down in key tory seats for them? I actually hate these people.