Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Annoyingly this u-turn is a good move by the Tories. The embarrassment factor over doing a u-turn will soon fade (they happen all the time) and they’ll be left with a much more palatable set of measures. It was the abolition of the 45% rate that was causing most of the anger. The majority of people won’t see the longer term effects of the lower taxes as the spending cuts won’t bite until later.
The damage has been done.

Infra-red

Annoyingly this u-turn is a good move by the Tories. The embarrassment factor over doing a u-turn will soon fade (they happen all the time) and they’ll be left with a much more palatable set of measures. It was the abolition of the 45% rate that was causing most of the anger. The majority of people won’t see the longer term effects of the lower taxes as the spending cuts won’t bite until later.
They won't be able to shake the (entirely accurate) perception that they have no idea what they are doing. At minimum, Truss needs Kwarteng to resign asap.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Perhaps Liz Truss failing so catastrophically is a good thing on more levels than Labour potentially getting into power... does this signal the end of the grip the ERG and extreme right wing politics have on both the Tory party and the general narrative?
It's very much the Momentum arm of their party, just worse.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
She could have found a bigger picture of Thatcher.

Reminds me of this strange love of Ronald Reagan, who would look liberal in today's Republican party. Food stamps for anyone?!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
...I don't get it.
Do you watch Succession?
The caption is basically what Kwasi tweeted this morning & sounds like something one of the characters from Succession would say as part of a speech.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Do you watch Succession?
The caption is basically what Kwasi tweeted this morning & sounds like something one of the characters from Succession would say as part of a speech.
Oh, no I don't, I thought that was some real conference, and I was missing it's cultural significance. Thanks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Oh, no I don't, I thought that was some real conference, and I was missing it's cultural significance. Thanks.
It's a really great show if you're into that sort of thing, highly recommended.

bleedred

My God!!!!, I thought politicians like this existed only in the US.

"Makes me sick, how far we done fell".

Britain is done for, if politicians like these are getting into power way too often.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you watch Succession?
“You look like a dildo dipped in beard trimmings.”?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's a really great show if you're into that sort of thing, highly recommended.
Got a Game of Thrones behind the scenes power struggle thing? I would like that a lot I imagine, if it was actually revealing of how things are.

LARulz

My God!!!!, I thought politicians like this existed only in the US.

"Makes me sick, how far we done fell".

Britain is done for, if politicians like these are getting into power way too often.
Honestly, I feel the same. Getting more worried by the day, cos feck knows what they are saying behind closed doors

villain

Hates Beyoncé
“You look like a dildo dipped in beard trimmings.”?
"Buckle up feckleheads"
"You can't do anything with 5 million dollars Greg, 5 is a nightmare"
- Kwasi Kwarteng, probably.

Got a Game of Thrones behind the scenes power struggle thing? I would like that a lot I imagine, if it was actually revealing of how things are.
Yeah it's basically Game of Thrones on the stock exchange.

Djemba-Djemba

That speech was fecking dreadful.

He was talking 100mph without any pauses, and yet saying absolutely nothing.

An embarrassment.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Not what I expected

Maticmaker

That was my perception when comparing the 1970/80 with the equivalent recent times.
But that was just a subjective view. You will be very aware that during the earlier period, strikes and mass protests seemed to almost be the norm. But I did do a quick search and the evidence seems to show that there are more protests by number since the turn of the century.
OK, sorry it was my perception you were talking about protests that actually achieved something, (I suppose I shouldn't start reading other people's posts halfway through the exchanges...mea culpa!). Obviously protests 'over time' have a better chance of success, or partial success as the number understanding the arguments or the argument itself tends to increase wider understanding.

My perception is that since the millennium, the various 'protests', in particular on the streets type of protest seem to attract a multiplicity of protesters, of issues and ideas, and they tend to become 'carnival-like' in terms of public perception... aided of course by the (ever greedy) 24-hour/7-day week media news cycle.

Somehow the older/last century 'protests' seem more focused and 'redder in tooth and claw'... but that's probably just me and the benefits of hindsight.

saivet

Not what I expected
I've seen some and would include myself in a group that is in favour of the change but have a major issue with the timing and high prioritisation of their proposed cut in the context of what's going on in the country.

I would still fit into the oppose camp on the poll, so would imagine has little bearing but sure there are others who might have similar views.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
My brother is 18 - him and all his mates are proper little Tories who have grown up on algorithms of right wing libertarian YouTube bullshit. This is in a working class area in South Wales. I guess that social Marxism uni diet isn’t what it was :(
I guess it could be an aspirational thing too.

That age group likes the idea of them earning a lot and not being taxed on it, and most may not have kids or need to make use of the welfare state a great deal?

Abizzz

I think it's natural for a higher % of young people to think that the highest tax band may become applicable to them, while the majority of older people have lost that hope. If anything it at least shows that young brits haven't lost hope for themselves despite everything the tories have been throwing at them

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My brother is 18 - him and all his mates are proper little Tories who have grown up on algorithms of right wing libertarian YouTube bullshit. This is in a working class area in South Wales. I guess that social Marxism uni diet isn’t what it was :(
Kick the shit out of the little wanker

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I guess it could be an aspirational thing too.

That age group likes the idea of them earning a lot and not being taxed on it, and most may not have kids or need to make use of the welfare state a great deal?
Yeah definitely could be an aspirational thing. Reminds me of a west wing quote about the issue with the American dream is everyone thinks they’ll be super rich one day. However, I’d argue being in favour of a tax cut for the richest 1.7% in society whilst 18 billion is cut in public spending and a benefits freeze occurs whilst inflation increases by 11% makes you a bit of a cnut - aspirational or not. Now most certainly isn’t the time.

Dan600

Maybe it's just the government and their influence on the curriculum? They will have spent the majority of their education under a Tory/Coalition government, so they could have influenced it in that way. I'm 32 and most people my age at that point in time when we were 18/19 seemed to be left wing (myself included). It was very rare to find a pupil who would have admitted to being a Tory supporter, and this was at a grammar school. Makes me wonder whether maybe we were more influenced than we realise by our education being mostly under the Brown/Blair government, and vice versa with this lot?

Sweet Square

When he spends a few in the labour market, he will soon realise old Karl is onto something.

Smores

Not what I expected
I'd want to see that replicated elsewhere before I believed a word of if.

Find today's u-turn very annoying. 2 billion reversed whilst 120 billion for the rest remains (then the other 60 billion required from QE). It's not even a dent yet the coverage is all u-turn.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Not what I expected
51% of the people I polled said they would sleep with me. 14% said they would sleep with me if I put a mask on. 30% opposed the idea, 4% hated the idea and 1% didn't understand the question. I asked my wife ninety nine times and the Polish gym instructor who doesn't speak English once.

You can get whatever result you want from a poll if you pick the right folk.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Maybe it's just the government and their influence on the curriculum? They will have spent the majority of their education under a Tory/Coalition government, so they could have influenced it in that way. I'm 32 and most people my age at that point in time when we were 18/19 seemed to be left wing (myself included). It was very rare to find a pupil who would have admitted to being a Tory supporter, and this was at a grammar school. Makes me wonder whether maybe we were more influenced than we realise by our education being mostly under the Brown/Blair government, and vice versa with this lot?
Education is devolved in wales so can’t blame education. I remember Tories being incredibly uncool when I was young - maybe it’s more a contrarian edgy thing with the youth today. Like an in-person form of shitposting.

Tibs

How much is the U-Turn going to save the taxpayer than if it had gone ahead?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Yeah definitely could be an aspirational thing. Reminds me of a west wing quote about the issue with the American dream is everyone thinks they’ll be super rich one day. However, I’d argue being in favour of a tax cut for the richest 1.7% in society whilst 18 billion is cut in public spending and a benefits freeze occurs whilst inflation increases by 11% makes you a bit of a cnut - aspirational or not. Now most certainly isn’t the time.
Aspiration for being a greedy obnoxious cnut. Entrepreneurship has nothing to do with tax. Most successful entrepreneurs have no problem paying their fair share of tax, it’s lazy greedy cnuts like bankers & hedge fund managers that don’t.