Westminster Politics

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Suez was a much needed shot of reality about Britain’s status which led the UK to start thinking seriously about joining the forerunner of the EU. Maybe this Truss debacle marks the point when the Brexit delusions start to die?

As for worst PMs, Cameron unleashed this mayhem. He’s number 1 on the list of shame.
Were those 2 really related as its the first time I've read such an interpretation of it.

Anyway eden definitely mishandled the whole thing or at least according to what I've read.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Truss promised tax cuts in her campaign and Sunak correctly pointed out that they were economically illiterate. The 90,000 racists, cranks and golf club bores then proceeded to vote for Truss anyway. She and Kwarteng then went beyond those promises (which, once in power, she could have abandoned of course on the grounds of changed market circumstances, Putin etc) by scrapping the top rate of income tax in the infamous mini-budget. The package, combined with the lack of faith in dumber and dumber, led to a strong adverse market reaction on that Friday which was then compounded by the moron Kwarteng announcing over that weekend that you ain’t seen nothing yet and more tax cuts were in the pipeline. Cue meltdown the following week in the gilt market and the pound heading towards parity with the dollar..

In brief, the people who voted for her (not the electorate and not even a majority of Conservative MPs) knew what they were getting. They just preferred to believe in Laffer curve magic beans.
I think it was more the market's reaction than the Tories themselves. Remember the current Tory party is still based on Brexit being a success - which of course it cannot and never will be - so the next step was to talk about these free zones and lower taxes to encourage investment from abroad etc - market's said " you're having a laugh" - quick u-turn - have to think of something else - chaos ensues - more chaos to come when the new budget is announced possibly in less than two weeks.
The Tory party have run out of ideas, there's nowhere to go with Brexit, just clinging onto survival as long as possible.
Thanks guys, that helps.

MoskvaRed

Were those 2 really related as its the first time I've read such an interpretation of it.

Anyway eden definitely mishandled the whole thing or at least according to what I've read.
I‘m not sure there is direct evidence of the two being linked but the timing strongly suggests that Suez led to a reappraisal of Britain’s role in the world (remember Dean Atcheson’s famous comment about “lost an empire but not found a role”). After Suez, the final illusions of independent great power status had evaporated and, by the early 60s (still under the Conservatives), Britain tried to join the European project but was vetoed by de Gaulle (who in hindsight was perhaps prescient rather than petulant).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Easy to say in a safe seat. Doubt his red wall colleagues will think the same. They know a p45 is coming at the next GE.
Tough shit to them. We have to make some difficult decisions, after all. They will find another job just like they expect everyone else to do, and surely they'll be able to pay their bills if they're clever enough with their money.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
More class than racism today in the UK, imho. Imperial delusion, with its sense of empowerment in the upper class (remember Boris muttering colonial verses while on duty abroad?), stems from allowances, land concessions, plebs of any color working for them and past wars glory…. All being history and pretty irrelevant today.

EDIT: no wonder there is an aspirational fit among some lower class descendents, and the Tories are good at making them feel successful in that?
Nicely put

Realist81

One thing I've noticed while listening to the radio this evening is that tory MPs spend much more time talking about what's good for the party, what will be better for them at an election and who will unify the party a hell of a lot more than they talk about the country.

Both utterly unsurprising and utterly infuriating

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
They're not calling an election without a leader in charge for a few weeks so there's not much point discussing it. If they were a somewhat serious party they would realise that none of their MPs have the standing or support to be the PM and they should cast their eyes towards the peers in the Lords. If I were them I would consider trying to get William Hague in as PM as he's far better than anything they've got to offer in the commons. They won't though and they could elect Braverman who is perhaps the most mental of the lot.
I know you can hold a cabinet position as a Lord but can you be PM without also being an MP? I didn’t think you could.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I‘m not sure there is direct evidence of the two being linked but the timing strongly suggests that Suez led to a reappraisal of Britain’s role in the world (remember Dean Atcheson’s famous comment about “lost an empire but not found a role”). After Suez, the final illusions of independent great power status had evaporated and, by the early 60s (still under the Conservatives), Britain tried to join the European project but was vetoed by de Gaulle (who in hindsight was perhaps prescient rather than petulant).
Oh that's an interesting take, not one that I agree with however and to be honest I think they would have tried to join in irrespective of the suez debacle, just the realities of the post ww2 world kicking in.

And I don't think it had anything to do with Conservatives being in power either , it's admittedly a small sample size but nothing in atlee's foreign conduct convinces me that he would have acted otherwise although at that point it all becomes hypothetical.

De Gaulle was certainly prescient in many regards but I argue his vision of the European project was decidedly different than the one it ended up being but that's another topic.

MoskvaRed

Oh that's an interesting take, not one that I agree with however and to be honest I think they would have tried to join in irrespective of the suez debacle, just the realities of the post ww2 world kicking in.

And I don't think it had anything to do with Conservatives being in power either , it's admittedly a small sample size but nothing in atlee's foreign conduct convinces me that he would have acted otherwise although at that point it all becomes hypothetical.

De Gaulle was certainly prescient in many regards but I argue his vision of the European project was decidedly different than the one it ended up being but that's another topic.
I mentioned Conservatives to emphasise the continuity between Eden,Home and Macmillan (as opposed to Labour taking over after 1956). As for “they had to join”, that is logical but, as 2016 showed, dreams of exceptionalism die hard. In the 1950s, just 10 years after WWII (reinforced by films every year like “The Dambusters”) and as the Commonwealth was being being devoloped, I can’t imagine the British wanting to go into a partnership with what they saw as frogs, krauts and wops without a reality check like the fall out from Suez.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Legally yes (Lord Halifax was nearly PM over Churchill) but there is a constitutional convention that holds all PMs should be from the elected Chamber.
Ah, so they can ignore convention like they've done before. If it happens then fecking hell might as well get back in Geebs' bunker.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Let’s take a moment to recognise the absolute idiots who when asked to describe him in ONE WORD, used some of:

Pandemic
Covid
Person
Time
Rules
He’s
Don’t
I'd be inclined to say that the tweet is incorrect and they asked people to describe him in as few words as possible. I know the average person is fecking stupid but come on, they can't be that thick.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'd be inclined to say that the tweet is incorrect and they asked people to describe him in as few words as possible. I know the average person is fecking stupid but come on, they can't be that thick.
Yea, the tweet is incorrect. The answers given were in full sentences and they weren't asked to describe him in one word. Happy that my fellow countrymen are not as totally stupid as what was portrayed in the original tweet.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
a scottishman eating the shit of an irishman whilst a southern englishman watches on. a sad indictment of british politics.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
As crazy as it seems boris might actually have a chance

30 loyal buddies... he can probably muster that
30 promises of government salaries yo get some people on board
30 erg loons if he promises a full on trade war over the ni protocol
30 red wall type mps who think he's their only chance in an election and / or they convince 2019 still gives him some mandate

If he can get 120 mps he pretty much has to make the final two... and he will for sure win an online poll of Conservative members

RedDevilQuebecois

Seriously, I swear the UK are in dire need of going into a general election once and for all as this revolving doors for PMs will only make things far more dysfunctional down the road.

And I thought that Japan was the biggest joke when it comes to revolving doors for PMs from the same party in power except for the long tenure under Shinzo Abe.