Westminster Politics

RedfromIreland

Government's Rwanda plan is lawful, High Court rules

The Home Office has won a legal challenge against its policy to remove asylum seekers to Rwanda.

The decision has just been announced by judges in the High Court in London.
Suella. “Dreams do come true”.

finneh

I think the crux of this is that you're talking about left/right in terms of pure economics which is only one facet of what people consider left/right these days (hence why the terms don't really work anymore). We can debate small state vs big state all day but I'm sure you agree that we don't want to bore people to death.

I will say this though, if your definition of left is full state communism and the right is full free market then the centre is a mixed economic model. There is no way that this current government is operating from the left of that.
I'd certainly agree that the definitions seem to have merged in people's minds, however I think that's mainly due to the correlation in western democracies of authoritarianism and ring wing politics (tough rhetoric on immigration being the biggest one). I'm sure if you were in China there would be far more of a correlation between left wing politics (e.g. Central planning) and authoritarianism given their record; with them seeing a correlation between the more right wing politics of western democracies as synonymous with freedom/protection of civil liberties.

I would say the current government are more left wing than Osbourne/Cameron, even in coalition with Clegg; and they're certainly far more left wing than Thatcher. I'd also argue given current tax levels and spending to GDP that they are left of Blair/Brown who were the archetypal centrists. Given the amount of money being spent as a proportion of GDP and the current tax to GDP , there's an argument that this government are the most left wing since Atlee.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

A remarkably stupid man

Bobade

We're currently just shy of 26 week's pregnant with twins in the US via surrogacy. We have the choice of our twins being delivered in a variety of hospitals in Minnesota. We've been given statistics of every single hospital in the region in regards to their neonatal mortality rates, care levels and birthing practices, including exactly when they induce and why they do so at this time. We've also been given the level of the hospitals in terms of neonatal care. They gave us the statistics for natural births and C-sections dependant on when our twins would be born. We also met the teams at our two top choices. We used all this information to go with United Hospital in Minnesota and decided to go with a C-Section. This hospital is fantastic when it comes to mortality rates as early as 25 weeks out and also is accredited to "level 4" meaning they can carry out complex surgery if god forbid this is required (nearby level 3 hospitals have to transit babies to this hospital via ambulance which could cost valuable time and is part of the reason for their great statstics); having a C section is also statistically less risky given our high risk pregnancy. The team at this hospital were also fantastic. We've taken out seperate cover at $5340 in order to have our children born at this hospital and will pay a few thousand extra out of pocket for the C-section. It's also worth saying that this hospital wanted fortnightly scans for our twins taking 150 minutes each from 12 weeks to birth to ensure that any issues are dealt with as early as is possible (other hospitals were less cautious).

You can probably guess from the aforementioned that patient choice for me and my Wife (and for most people that actually get given this kind of choice) is exceptionally important. The statistics provided also terrified me in terms of how poor the NHS is in this regard.
Yes, and what choice would a low income couple have in this regard? Would they even be able to do it at all ? I think you are correct that people would like choices, but this is a system whereby most people likely have no choice at all. Or not very attractive ones.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Human rights activist complains to Tory party after MP tells him to ‘go back to Bahrain’

Exclusive: In video footage, Bob Stewart MP heard telling Sayed Alwadaei ‘you’re taking money off my country’

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...arty-after-mp-tells-him-to-go-back-to-bahrain

Stewart has been on two trips to Bahrain, paid for by the country’s government, since 2021. Last month, according to the register of members’ interests, he visited the Bahrain airshow and met the foreign minister, declaring a cost of £1,245.56 for the five-day trip.

He also declared another trip in November 2021, including flights, accommodation and meals with a value of £5,349 as part of the parliamentary delegation to the IISS Manama Dialogue.

finneh

Yes, and what choice would a low income couple have in this regard? Would they even be able to do it at all ? I think you are correct that people would like choices, but this is a system whereby most people likely have no choice at all. Or not very attractive ones.
Without being an expert in US healthcare my understanding is that there's different subsidised Medicaid programs that allow for different hospitals / care.

Naturally though like every product and service the poorest people in the country end up with the most basic.

Fluctuation0161

Without being an expert in US healthcare my understanding is that there's different subsidised Medicaid programs that allow for different hospitals / care.

Naturally though like every product and service the poorest people in the country end up with the most basic.
That is the whole point of universal free healthcare. So that the poorest people do not end up with either no healthcare or the most basic healthcare.

Problems you may have seen specific to the NHS statistics are a problem with our current government's execution not the concept of universal free healthcare. Over the last 12 years they have executed a similar ideological predisposition as you seem to hold regarding private healthcare and the (illusion of) choice in the "free market".

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The only views of mine I've expressed in this thread over the last few days is of the differences between left wing, right wing, authoritarianism and libertarianism. I'll provide a few basic comments as I don't want this to slide into my opinion which as I've said before is most similar to the likes of Friedman, Sowell etc; which are to the left of Rand, Rothbard, Mises etc.

The further right wing you'd go the less the government would be involved in any capacity. A right wing government would likely re-direct a portion of the current welfare payments to charities to provide services to the poor. A far right government would only tax people in order to protect their rights which would be limited to police, courts, military. The government would not fund the third sector in any capacity. This would be done locally from charities via donations from private individuals. The idea is that people would give far, far more to charity if the majority of their incomes wasn't forcably extracted from them by government.

The further right wing you go the less you'd believe that government should be involved in the transport sector. Someone with a right wing persuasion might thing that both the track and the trains should be privatised with no government subsidy. They would likely believe that the underground and bus network should be fully privatised and that the new owner would have the right to set costs at whatever he saw fit (cancelling any unprofitable routes).

An ardent right wing perspecive would generally be that the governments primary responsiblity is to protect the population and cost in this area should be secondary to this. This would be protecting them domestically via their public order budget and internationally via the defence budget. Someone with authoritarian views would also want high expenditure in these areas, however to control the population rather than to protect them. A libertarian would want the government to spend as little as possible in this area whilst protecting the civil liberties of the population.

We're currently just shy of 26 week's pregnant with twins in the US via surrogacy. We have the choice of our twins being delivered in a variety of hospitals in Minnesota. We've been given statistics of every single hospital in the region in regards to their neonatal mortality rates, care levels and birthing practices, including exactly when they induce and why they do so at this time. We've also been given the level of the hospitals in terms of neonatal care. They gave us the statistics for natural births and C-sections dependant on when our twins would be born. We also met the teams at our two top choices. We used all this information to go with United Hospital in Minnesota and decided to go with a C-Section. This hospital is fantastic when it comes to mortality rates as early as 25 weeks out and also is accredited to "level 4" meaning they can carry out complex surgery if god forbid this is required (nearby level 3 hospitals have to transit babies to this hospital via ambulance which could cost valuable time and is part of the reason for their great statstics); having a C section is also statistically less risky given our high risk pregnancy. The team at this hospital were also fantastic. We've taken out seperate cover at $5340 in order to have our children born at this hospital and will pay a few thousand extra out of pocket for the C-section. It's also worth saying that this hospital wanted fortnightly scans for our twins taking 150 minutes each from 12 weeks to birth to ensure that any issues are dealt with as early as is possible (other hospitals were less cautious).

You can probably guess from the aforementioned that patient choice for me and my Wife (and for most people that actually get given this kind of choice) is exceptionally important. The statistics provided also terrified me in terms of how poor the NHS is in this regard.
Thanks for the answer. Obviously we'll disagree, but for me that level of government minimalism will only ever work in a textbook.

A government relying on charity to look after the poorest in society and hoping that the wealthy fund it is failing in its basic duties for me. It seems a way to fast-track the ever-growing disparity between the wealthy and the poor and ensure we're living in an Elysium (crap film) type society. The closing of non-profitable transport routes would isolate communities and basically kill off some villages and towns, resulting in increased urbanisation.

Having the choice of hospital works for you as someone with the money to pay for what you want -and best of luck to you both with the twins btw- but not the poorest.

In Singapore there is great wealth disparity, but every citizen has access to subsidised accommodation, as well as food, with some basic healthcare provision for the poor. Admittedly that's easier with a population a tenth that of the UK no doubt, but even the deregulation poster child values social cohesion and provides the basics for the wider community.

finneh

That is the whole point of universal free healthcare. So that the poorest people do not end up with either no healthcare or the most basic healthcare.

Problems you may have seen specific to the NHS statistics are a problem with our current government's execution not the concept of universal free healthcare. Over the last 12 years they have executed a similar ideological predisposition as you seem to hold regarding private healthcare and the (illusion of) choice in the "free market".
There's no real way of avoiding a two, three or several tier offering for any commodity.

In the UK I avoid using buses and trains in favour of private transportation. I avoid using the NHS wherever possible by using private GP's and Bupa. In a few years I'll avoid the education system by sending my children private. I avoid using social housing by buying my own property. In the future I'll avoid using government social care as I've seen the standard of care and would want far better. I'll also avoid relying on a government pension as I'd want more than the most basic retirement. Hell I even avoid using the congested and pothole-filled public roads in favour of the M6 Toll whenever my trip allows it (and I wish there were far more private roads to use).

Bear in mind that these poor services across the board are despite record high taxes, a record budget deficit and record spend to GDP across government. Therefore it simply isn't the case that all these departments are underfunded; quite the opposite in fact.

The question then is if a trillion pound spend alongside record taxation results in poor healthcare, a poor education system, awful adult social care, terrifyingly underfunded childrens care, low pension payments, low unemployment payments, poor social housing infrastructure, a terrible transport network, an underfunded army/navy/airforce with outdated equipment, rapists regularly going unpunished due to an underfunded policeforce, an underfunded prison system with inhumane standards and non-existent rehabilitation, squalid conditions for asylum seekers and a judicial system at breaking point, to name but a few... What's the solution?

RedChip

Choice is ridiculously overrated. Do people even want that much choice in the basics in life? I mean I can't even be bothered to choose jeans.

Eplel

The question then is if a trillion pound spend alongside record taxation results in poor healthcare, a poor education system, awful adult social care, terrifyingly underfunded childrens care, low pension payments, low unemployment payments, poor social housing infrastructure, a terrible transport network, an underfunded army/navy/airforce with outdated equipment, rapists regularly going unpunished due to an underfunded policeforce, an underfunded prison system with inhumane standards and non-existent rehabilitation, squalid conditions for asylum seekers and a judicial system at breaking point, to name but a few... What's the solution?
Sack the manager, bring someone competent.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There's no real way of avoiding a two, three or several tier offering for any commodity.

In the UK I avoid using buses and trains in favour of private transportation. I avoid using the NHS wherever possible by using private GP's and Bupa. In a few years I'll avoid the education system by sending my children private. I avoid using social housing by buying my own property. In the future I'll avoid using government social care as I've seen the standard of care and would want far better. I'll also avoid relying on a government pension as I'd want more than the most basic retirement. Hell I even avoid using the congested and pothole-filled public roads in favour of the M6 Toll whenever my trip allows it (and I wish there were far more private roads to use).

Bear in mind that these poor services across the board are despite record high taxes, a record budget deficit and record spend to GDP across government. Therefore it simply isn't the case that all these departments are underfunded; quite the opposite in fact.

The solution is don't allow the government and their privateers to rip off the vast quantities of public money that they currently do, invest in infrastructure and education to grow the economy, redistribute money from the ultra wealthy down the food chain to improve the tax take and grow the economy, and in the long term stop fecking borrowing so much money such that our interest payments become ever more crippling.

Oh and while we're at it we could consider rejoining the Single Market and/or EU.

rumac

Obviously records amount are being spent. Inflation alone would tell us that we need to keep increasing the amounts that are spent to keep the services the same.

So why are they getting worse? Because for the last 12 years the country has been run by a politic party whose main goal seems to be asset stripping the country. Just look at the PPE contracts awarded during Covid or the Test and Trace scandal.

There was so much money being thrown around and there was such a panic, that they got sloppy, I'm sure they have been doing this on a more discreet scale for years.

The issue is not that public services are by definition worse, it's that they are purposely being made that way and to seem inefficient.

OleGunnar20

The solution is don't allow the government and their privateers to rip off the vast quantities of public money that they currently do, invest in infrastructure and education to grow the economy, redistribute money from the ultra wealthy down the food chain to improve the tax take and grow the economy, and in the long term stop fecking borrowing so much money such that our interest payments become ever more crippling.

Oh and while we're at it we could consider rejoining the Single Market and/or EU.
Hear Hear. It comes down to cronyism and incompetence in my opinion, before we even get into any Right / Left debate.

The conservatives are corrupt. They exist to serve the needs of themselves and their class, the rest of us be damned. If the last decade hasn't proven that to people by now, I'm really not sure what to say.

cafecillos

I find it quite insulting that @finneh is trying so hard to convince us that this UK government, this fecking UK government, is left-wing, using the typical word salad around "authoritarianism", and focusing almost exclusively on public spending. People like him are simply, very likely in bad faith and hoping that us peasants won't realise it, obfuscating an actually very simple thing, and doing their bit in pushing the Overton window, even if it's just at a very small scale in a football forum. The argument of the money spent in particular is so spurious that it's impossible for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he is debating in remotely good faith. Maybe someone with more patience and a better command of the English language will indulge him and get into the actual reasons why the argument is spurious, but I won't, because I'm not that person. I just wanted to express my disgust at his blatant attempt to convince us that the piss on our faces (your faces really, as I don't live there) is just a tiny bit of warm rainwater. Enough is enough.

finneh

Sack the manager, bring someone competent.
Sacking every single manager in health, education, civil service, defence, police etc would certainly be one idea!

However you have to ask if every manager is failing simultaneously whether it's the lack of incentives that's the root of the problem, rather than thousands of people being coincidentally incompetant.

Where is all the money coming from to set up completely new infrastructure so that public bodies don't have to rely on private companies (which they've been doing for decades)? Likewise to invest in infrastructure? Presumably growing the economy also requires a chunk of governmental spend, given that you're taxing wealth creators more in your manifesto which will cause an economic contraction that would need offsetting? Tax is already at it's highest and most distributive for decades so will hammering the wealthy further actually raise more funds or will it kill investment and end updoing the reserve? Bear in mind that if the top 10 richest people in the UK donated their entire net worth to the treasury; it would run the NHS for just over a year. You'll very quickly run out of the ultra wealthy and end up needing to hammer small and medium sized businesses, the middle classes and then the lower-middle, which is exactly where we are now.

Also how are we doing all this if we're reducing borrowing at the same time, given that the budget deficit is £100b and being spent on public services?

To not only stop borrowing more but to reduce the budget deficit conservatively lets say you're raising another £80b a year in taxes. Add on infrastructure and educational investment and you're looking at, what, another £45b so £125b total per annum? You start out by taxing every billionaire an extra £10m per year (£1.77b), you then tax the people who earn £1m+ per year an extra £100k on top (£1.9b). You then tax every single personal earning £150k+ an extra £10,000 per year (£6b). You not only increase corporation tax to 25%, but decide to triple that and go to 37% (£6.6b). You then go after the 4.3m higher rate taxpayers (£50k+), having them pay another £2500 (£10b). You also assume that this aggressive taxation has no detrimental effect on consumer spending, employment, business investment etc and are what less than a quarter the way there?

It's common sense that the 19,000 people earning £1m per annum, or the 177 UK billionaires are a drop in the ocean when compared to an annual budget of a 1000 billion and a deficit of 100 billion every year.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I find it quite insulting that @finneh is trying so hard to convince us that this UK government, this fecking UK government, is left-wing, using the typical word salad around "authoritarianism", and focusing almost exclusively on public spending. People like him are simply, very likely in bad faith and hoping that us peasants won't realise it, obfuscating an actually very simple thing, and doing their bit in pushing the Overton window, even if it's just at a very small scale in a football forum. The argument of the money spent in particular is so spurious that it's impossible for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe he is debating in remotely good faith. Maybe someone with more patience and a better command of the English language will indulge him and get into the actual reasons why the argument is spurious, but I won't, because I'm not that person. I just wanted to express my disgust at his blatant attempt to convince us that the piss on our faces (your faces really, as I don't live there) is just a tiny bit of warm rainwater. Enough is enough.
I don't think he understands what he's talking about. He really believes that everyone has an equal choice. He does because he's well off.
Having had surreal discussions with him in the past like why he voted for Brexit because that would enable Nigerian farmers to sell their milk in the UK.

I'm so glad I don't live in the UK either.

RedChip

British are rubbish at making choices, voting for a left wing Tory government and then Brexit and afterwards complaining what a sh*thole the UK is.
It is not just British people, humans in general are just not very good at dealing with choice. Give people too many choices, they just use shortcuts to narrow it down to one or two, not necessarily effectively. So the more choice, the worse the decisions. Look at the shitty choices rich people make.

Usually 'more choice' as a policy objective is just a smokescreen for something less palatable.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It is not just British people, humans in general are just not very good at dealing with choice. Give people too many choices, they just use shortcuts to narrow it down to one or two, not necessarily effectively. So the more choice, the worse the decisions. Look at the shitty choices rich people make.

Usually 'more choice' as a policy objective is just a smokescreen for something less palatable.
I don't disagree but rich people can usually make shitty choices and survive.

TwoSheds

Sacking every single manager in health, education, civil service, defence, police etc would certainly be one idea!

However you have to ask if every manager is failing simultaneously whether it's the lack of incentives that's the root of the problem, rather than thousands of people being coincidentally incompetant.

Where is all the money coming from to set up completely new infrastructure so that public bodies don't have to rely on private companies (which they've been doing for decades)? Likewise to invest in infrastructure? Presumably growing the economy also requires a chunk of governmental spend, given that you're taxing wealth creators more in your manifesto which will cause an economic contraction that would need offsetting? Tax is already at it's highest and most distributive for decades so will hammering the wealthy further actually raise more funds or will it kill investment and end updoing the reserve? Bear in mind that if the top 10 richest people in the UK donated their entire net worth to the treasury; it would run the NHS for just over a year. You'll very quickly run out of the ultra wealthy and end up needing to hammer small and medium sized businesses, the middle classes and then the lower-middle, which is exactly where we are now.

Also how are we doing all this if we're reducing borrowing at the same time, given that the budget deficit is £100b and being spent on public services?

To not only stop borrowing more but to reduce the budget deficit conservatively lets say you're raising another £80b a year in taxes. Add on infrastructure and educational investment and you're looking at, what, another £45b so £125b total per annum? You start out by taxing every billionaire an extra £10m per year (£1.77b), you then tax the people who earn £1m+ per year an extra £100k on top (£1.9b). You then tax every single personal earning £150k+ an extra £10,000 per year (£6b). You not only increase corporation tax to 25%, but decide to triple that and go to 37% (£6.6b). You then go after the 4.3m higher rate taxpayers (£50k+), having them pay another £2500 (£10b). You also assume that this aggressive taxation has no detrimental effect on consumer spending, employment, business investment etc and are what less than a quarter the way there?

It's common sense that the 19,000 people earning £1m per annum, or the 177 UK billionaires are a drop in the ocean when compared to an annual budget of a 1000 billion and a deficit of 100 billion every year.
There is no way on earth that taxing the rich more causes an economic contraction. The fact is that accumulating wealth at the top is almost entirely economically unproductive (evidenced by the fact they get disproportionately richer every year so cannot be spending it) and bringing that money back into the "everyday" economy via taxation is the only sensible way to attain growth.

Taxing earnings is also not the only way to claw back obscene wealth, I'd be all in favour of a wealth tax, even if only as a short term measure to pay down some debt or pay for infrastructure projects / investment. I'd also be in favour of taxing some businesses differently - the big tech companies for example pay a very small fraction of their earnings as corporation tax because they have many ways to make the profit disappear to a tax haven. So either we could find ways to prevent the money ending up in the tax havens (the network of British-affiliated tax havens is extensive), or we could just find more ingenious ways to tax large companies who pay low tax rates e.g. tax revenue in some way or tax transactions.

Clearly investment doesn't work instantly so expecting government debt to drop instantly would be foolish, which is why I say the long term aim should be to stop borrowing. You'll note that the government's aim has (notionally) been to reduce spending to cut borrowing for the last 12 years and yet the debt has kept skyrocketing. Almost like you can't cut your way to growth, and actually public services have a great economic value.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
She's a right wing person who's also authoritarian, I agree.

The Sunak government in general are authoritarian but certainly not right wing.
Finneh, I honestly can’t remember your last political post that had foundations in observable reality. And you post all the Fcuking time about politics.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What's the solution?
Ending free market Capitalism. It ain’t hard buddy. You just can’t hear the answer as you’ll pay £20 for a 30 minute Uber instead of £6.50 for a 34 minute tube journey.

Live your life however you want, but your answers always seem to come from this weird nouveau riche point of position that enjoys pissing away money if it means you don’t have to meet anyone that’s not exactly like you.

Dan_F

Not cutting spending so much in the first place that those services are left to ruin and then need fixing? Don’t we lag behind most other developed nations in terms of public health spending vs both GDP and per capita anyway?

Some forward thinking by our leaders to come up with plans to solve issues before they become massive problems? All the government has done for the last decade is be reactive. Have they actually tried to anything progressive for the majority of the country?

finneh

Finneh, I honestly can’t remember your last political post that had foundations in observable reality. And you post all the Fcuking time about politics.
I'd like to know the volume of my posts regarding politics compared with the majority of others who regularly post. I'd imagine I would be way, way, way down the list. Albeit I'm one of the few who don't think Ryan Giggs is right wing.

Jericholyte2

Sunak repeatedly refuses to confirm if he’s looking to take UK out of the ECHR…

Whilst he uses Putin as an excuse for fecking everything, he wants to join him be leaving the ECHR.

finneh

Ending free market Capitalism. It ain’t hard buddy. You just can’t hear the answer as you’ll pay £20 for a 30 minute Uber instead of £6.50 for a 34 minute tube journey.

Live your life however you want, but your answers always seem to come from this weird nouveau riche point of position that enjoys pissing away money if it means you don’t have to meet anyone that’s not exactly like you.
I simply want decent healthcare for my family and far, far better education for my children than the public sector gave to me in the 00's.

If you see that as pissing away money then fair enough; I'm sure you have far more important things you're saving for like overthrowing capitalism.

TwoSheds

I simply want decent healthcare for my family and far, far better education for my children than the public sector gave to me in the 00's.

If you see that as pissing away money then fair enough; I'm sure you have far more important things you're saving for like overthrowing capitalism.
:lol: and do you think you'd be banned from doing that with better universal services? Has it crossed your mind that the standard of private provision has to be higher if public services are of a higher quality? (The competition you crave perhaps?)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"the chef we hired gets the best ingredients but constantly eats them all and gives the patrons beans on toast, which always results in explosive diarrhea. Clearly the only way to fix this is to give the patrons sawdust and charge 10x more for the proper food."

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd define a right wing government as one enacting low tax and low spend policies, with far less intrusive government intervention in the private sector. Small state involvement in sectors such as energy, transport, health, social care. More focus on the charitable sector rather than the state providing assistance to the poor.

I'd see right wing policies as those that progressively seek to spend less of other peoples' money for them, believing that people ultimately spend their own money far better than government. In reality this would translate to the transport sector becoming far less subsidised. The education system becoming more about choice (e.g. school vouchers). Progressively less involvement in health in favour of insurance based systems, allowing far more patient choice.

Likewise a right wing viewpoint would be that subsidising the wealthy with taxes from the poor and middle class is immoral and wrong. Etonians being subsidised by the taxpayer to go to Cambridge for example when they could afford the six figure cost would be an example. The top several deciles wouldn't get subsidised health, education, pensions, housing, transport etc as they can afford it without state help (with much lower taxes of course).

I'd see area's of spend right wingers would see as crucial would be defence and law & order. These state departments would be funded plentifully; particularly the military which I'd say would be 4-5% of GDP minimum.

The further right you go the more extreme this would be. A government that had no budget whatsoever for health, social care, transport, education, pensions, welfare, housing, social services, employment, agriculture, housing etc; but still had a large defence and public order budget would be very right wing (the third sector in this example would be solely responsible for helping those in need and the provate sector would provide all the services people desired).

On the flip side authoritarianism would be about control of people, rather than control of their money. A strict and dehumanising immigration policy would be authoritarian. ID cards to vote is authoritarian. Restricting freedom of movement, even via a passport is a form of authoritarianism. Using fear to limit civil liberties is authoritarianism. Surveillance of the populace is authoritarian. Treating people differently based on colour, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religious belief or any other way they choose to live their lives is authoritarian.

Control of money = left and right
Control of people = libertarian and authoritarianism
There’s no point in using words when you just make up the meaning of them. Right wing and left wing are not just descriptors of your economic ideas and preferences. They describe your social values too. Yet you’ve completely stripped out that second dimension to paint a picture of a “right winger” that sounds good to you.

Obviously you have right wing economic ideas and want to distance yourself from right wing social values, so you’ve gone to the trouble of inventing definitions that feel right to you. But when they don’t align when the academic consensus nor the cultural consensus then all you’re doing is arguing with your own imagination, and dragging people into the argument.

Eplel

There’s no point in using words when you just make up the meaning of them. Right wing and left wing are not just descriptors of your economic ideas and preferences. They describe your social values too. Yet you’ve completely stripped out that second dimension to paint a picture of a “right winger” that sounds good to you.

Obviously you have right wing economic ideas and want to distance yourself from right wing social values, so you’ve gone to the trouble of inventing definitions that feel right to you. But when they don’t align when the academic consensus nor the cultural consensus then all you’re doing is arguing with your own imagination, and dragging people into the argument.
Spot on. We cannot pretend that "right wing" is just economic ideas and policies, it's also a foundation of cronyism, and a bastion of racism, discrimination and disregard for anyone who is not rich. You can't say "I'm right wing, but without all the bad stuff".

finneh

The whole commentary started when someone was confused that a right wing donor might be turned off by the Tory party lurching to the left (the implication being that the current party is very right wing).

I was challenging that viewpoint as a key tenet (id argue the key) of right wing politics is low taxation and the current crop have increased taxes to a higher level than we've seen in 70 years. We've also seen the kind of social programs I've not seen in my lifetime in the form of furlough; again not the kind of policy you'd associate with a right wing government.

We've also seen unprecedented governmental intervention in a free market commodity via price capsà (energy), way before gas prices increased several-fold. We've seen the rates of tax frozen for a decade meaning hundreds of thousands of middle earners being dragged into higher tax rates.

We've seen a raid of businesses in the form of increasing not only corporation tax by a third, but also business rates, insurance tax, payroll taxes. We've seen entrepreneurs relief slashed. We've seen council tax increase massively.

If the counter to this plethora of left wing taxation, social "investment" and free market intervention is "yeah but they must be far right because even though net migration is at a record high they have an authoritarian nutcase as Home Secretary" or "Brexit something something culture wars"; then I'd disagree

Now if anyone wants to put an argument together as to why this government (since Bojo & Sunak's tax and spend spree) is far right without talking about Brexit (note Mick Lynch and the RMT were heavily pro-Brexit) and immigration/culture wars then fair enough.