Westminster Politics

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Because a trans/ boat person is coming for you.

The change angle is an interesting angle from someone who's been in the highest offices of the land himself for the past 5 years.

Herman Toothrot

Because a trans/ boat person is coming for you.

The change angle is an interesting angle from someone who's been in the highest offices of the land himself for the past 5 years.
He looks like one of the bad guys from Innerspace who get shrunken down to child size at the end of the film.

Sneaky fecking spiteful cnut. I bet he treated himself to a decontamination shower after being that close to normal people.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How has a politician that bad become Prime Minister? I mean, “Privilege” is clearly the answer but feck me he is just awful on every level.
Undemocratically is the answer.
He wanted to be PM but Liz Truss beat him comfortably. Liz fxxking Truss.
The only people who voted for him were his mates in the Nasty Party.
If he had any decency, which he clearly doesn't, he would have called for a GE. But he knew that his only chance of being PM was by clinging to power while the country goes down the tubes.
And he will cling onto power for as long as he possibly can.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
He has more power than most politicians via his wife to be fair. I suspect for Rishi he actually does want to be a politician, and in his own weird way thinks he is making a difference.

nickm

How has a politician that bad become Prime Minister? I mean, “Privilege” is clearly the answer but feck me he is just awful on every level.
I dunno. Blair's privilege was not completely dissimilar, but he was superb at this stuff - partly because he'd thought this stuff through himself, partly because he was just really good at the performance bit, and partly because he had a barrister's quick thinking. Sunak is just remarkably bad at this in every way.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I dunno. Blair's privilege was not completely dissimilar, but he was superb at this stuff - partly because he'd thought this stuff through himself, partly because he was just really good at the performance bit, and partly because he had a barrister's quick thinking. Sunak is just remarkably bad at this in every way.
It helped Blair having someone like Alastair Campbell keeping him up to speed as well. I'm not sure who Sunak and his cabinet have but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of Boris' kids.

Drainy

Suella Braverman tells UK police that waving the Palestinian flag can amount to a criminal offence:

I think she is factually correct on this occasion. The difference being it can be a crime if intended to harass or alarm by being directed at Jewish people by turning up uninvited at locations that you would associate with Jews etc.

Showing general support or solidarity with Palestinians is quite rightly not a crime.

I'd expect the same rules to be enforced turning up at mosques with Israeli or St George's flags etc.

I'd also expect context of whether the flag is countering public pro-israeli speech and other reasonableness factors to be considered before an arrest.

nickm

I think she is factually correct on this occasion. The difference being it can be a crime if intended to harass or alarm by being directed at Jewish people by turning up uninvited at locations that you would associate with Jews etc.

Showing general support or solidarity with Palestinians is quite rightly not a crime.

I'd expect the same rules to be enforced turning up at mosques with Israeli or St George's flags etc.

I'd also expect context of whether the flag is countering public pro-israeli speech and other reasonableness factors to be considered before an arrest.
Hamas is indeed an illegal terrorist organisation in the UK and expressing support for it is a criminal offence, with a penalty of up to 14 years in prison.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The bloke is like a fish out of water. This politics lark is not for him.

Dr. StrangeHate

The bloke is like a fish out of water. This politics lark is not for him.
Didn't he get in to Goldman Sachs which everyone says hires only the best and is very hard to get into?

I am just surprised someone like that can be so bad at this job.

acnumber9

Didn't he get in to Goldman Sachs which everyone says hires only the best and is very hard to get into?

I am just surprised someone like that can be so bad at this job.
He probably didn’t have to pretend that he cares about anybody other than himself during that interview. That’s the thing he struggles with and therefore anything he says in that vein looks every bit as fake as it is.

Superden

What like the HQ of major banks and media empires? This is a joke to show up the obsequiousness of that comment

The other day, in my local mosque, the guy praying next the guy next to me had an england top on. Should i have called the police?

Its nonsensical, and raises serious issues around freedom of speech, and also for those on the right who choose to refer to those freedoms quite often.

People should not be allowed to harrass or alarm anyone, without absolute due reason. But weve been told by the likes of Braverman and her allies that people having the right to be offended is all evil WOKE nonsense.

But then again, when it comes to Israel, everything is different.

Drainy

What like the HQ of major banks and media empires? This is a joke to show up the obsequiousness of that comment

The other day, in my local mosque, the guy praying next the guy next to me had an england top on. Should i have called the police?

Its nonsensical, and raises serious issues around freedom of speech, and also for those on the right who choose to refer to those freedoms quite often.

People should not be allowed to harrass or alarm anyone, without absolute due reason. But weve been told by the likes of Braverman and her allies that people having the right to be offended is all evil WOKE nonsense.

But then again, when it comes to Israel, everything is different.
I worded it more generally because there are places like kosher food places, rather than restricting it to places of worship.

I obviously don't agree with Braverman on much but her letter is correct on the law, to my understanding. Any innocuous symbol or item could become harassing in context, and that isn't the same as saying it's offensive generally.

In spain there are plenty of high speed train sections that are useless and that this money (a lot) could be better spend on regional projects or to unite other big cities like valencia and barcelona or the mediterranean corridor. But as in spain everything is madrid centric like london

In UK, a great network (not talking specifically of HS) that could unite the north, could be more beneficial for the north? Talking without knowing UKs reality
Saw this today about the popularity of Spanish high speed rail and was reminded of this post. Thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tugEqDggAKgYICjCXqnsw37MJ&utm_content=bullets

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I'm guessing about 1 in 10 million people might actually know what it was, I'm in the latter!
I'll be honest - the only thing I could remember about it was that it didn't have any of the Palestinian colours in it!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Saw this today about the popularity of Spanish high speed rail and was reminded of this post. Thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tugEqDggAKgYICjCXqnsw37MJ&utm_content=bullets
HS rail is great. Everybody should have access to it if possible but money is limited.

In the article she speaks for example of connections Madrid to Barcelona, Valencia and Seville and this makes sense. The density allows to have full trains, competition among companies that brings the price of the tickets down. By the way, 19 euros a ticket van be found but is not near the usual. Still very affordable and much better than the plane that takes longer (wait and flight) and you still have to go from the airport to the city center

Now, does it worth it to spend money in HS that connect less populated areas? Does the HS network needs stops in 1000 inhabitants towns because they are in the way? the stations are very expensive (expropriations, buildings safety for a HS train stop) and stopping there defeats the purpose of the HS. They don't deserve it? well, I want a station in front of my house but is not feasible. Is that money well invested in this small cities or towns? or maybe it would be better to spend that money in regional trains and other public transportation that vertebrates the region?

As personal, not because its me me me (because I don't even leave there) but because I know it. the regional train that connects my small city (and goes through a quite dense area through towns, small cities, bigger cities and universities) to Barcelona takes 10 minutes longer than +100 years ago. infrastructure is poor, schedules fails, sometimes they stops for tens of minutes and a few hours, trains crumbles etc... And is used by millions of trips a year for workers and students to commute. Would that money be better spend in this types of transportation? I am not saying in my area as BCN already have HS, but there are equivalents areas that might need a similar improvement to their existing public transportation.

In my opinion a country that is bigger than Germany with half the population does not make sense that have 3 times more HS train kilometers. And many other comparisons. Also, Spain is empty. There are big cities and the coast line and the rest has little population. HS makes sense to unite big cities. the average Joe doesn't need this long connections very often. As much as you might love madrid, you will not go to live to Valencia, Seville or Barcelona. All at +2 hours.

Another part that doesn't make sense is the centralization of the rail to the capital. It makes sense to have connections from Barcelona (that goes through Zaragoza another big city), Valencia and Seville. But the bigger amount of population is along the mediterranian coast and this population would benefit much more of HS than other areas that sure, they welcome the HS but they would benefit more of regional projects.

This is not only my opinion but what I had been reading along the years. Limited resources should be spend smarter, not to show off. Another one is the building of airports in Spain. Again more than Germany and having at some point a flight from Lleida to Barcelona that took 30 minutes (+ waiting + train to the center) while a bus line and HS train takes you a bit over 1 hour. One of the biggest airports in Spain never opened and so others. This big infrastructures in Spain reeks of corruption and also traffic of favors among the local and provincial authorities with the central government

But yes HS is awesome everybody should have a station near