Westminster Politics

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So is it a shithole or not?
As the resident of another shithole I can safely say that if you don't live there then it's not your place to say. It's like cats; my cats are arseholes but only I get to call them that.

Dan_F

There’s nothing ill-gotten or illicit about this ‘wealth’. And, as you’ve alluded to, the idea that the state should get a chunk when it’s terrible at ‘redistributing’ wealth is just the icing on the cake.

Not a penny (hopefully). A portion of it would just go towards whichever illegal and immoral war Britain’s involved in at the time, so I’m more than content with my stance.
Well there is nothing ‘illicit’ about most wealth, but they are taxed higher, that’s how society works. As always for the rich, there are plenty of simple enough ways around it anyway so I’m sure you won’t have an issue avoiding paying your share if that’s what you’re worried about.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
There’s nothing ill-gotten or illicit about this ‘wealth’. And, as you’ve alluded to, the idea that the state should get a chunk when it’s terrible at ‘redistributing’ wealth is just the icing on the cake.

Not a penny (hopefully). A portion of it would just go towards whichever illegal and immoral war Britain’s involved in at the time, so I’m more than content with my stance.
It's probably just lucky asset inflation that wasn't worked for (house price increase).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Energy bills in Great Britain to rise by 5% from January as cap hits £1,928

Ofgem increases minimum price for energy suppliers to charge customers after rise in global gas prices

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...ls-great-britain-rise-january-price-cap-ofgem
There's something seriously messed up when the organisation that is apparently set up "to protect consumers by working to deliver a greener, fairer energy system" ends up parroting the same bullshit excuses that the companies make whenever they hike prices.

It's like HR departments at work, who are apparently there to protect workers. Shite; you're all there to protect the business from getting into trouble.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There's something seriously messed up when the organisation that is apparently set up "to protect consumers by working to deliver a greener, fairer energy system" ends up parroting the same bullshit excuses that the companies make whenever they hike prices.

It's like HR departments at work, who are apparently there to protect workers. Shite; you're all there to protect the business from getting into trouble.
Tbf the clue is in the name - human resources. It could just be "the employee welfare department" or something if the intention was for them to help you.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Quite agree.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This morning's headlines are a classic reason why this country is fecked.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Well there is nothing ‘illicit’ about most wealth, but they are taxed higher, that’s how society works. As always for the rich, there are plenty of simple enough ways around it anyway so I’m sure you won’t have an issue avoiding paying your share if that’s what you’re worried about.
The rhetoric around wealth could lead many people to assume that most of it is gained illicitly however. But I agree with you that the rich should pay the most, it’s just a case of maximising the tax take from the rich and finding the best way of achieving that.

Its hard to resist succumbing to the sloganeering (and intuitive appeal) around taxing the rich, but when you discover that such policies, more often than not, reduce the tax take from that group then you have to be more practical about it.

Last edited:

Spark

Okay, so Mr. Ron English probably has a thing or two to learn about what Rule of Law means.
Reckon Ron English is just a right wing troll, either partially or fully aware of the issues at hand. But the number of likes he generates is what is worrying, as they'll be people who actually believe what he says.

hodgey123

I will not stop saying this - the fairest way of redistributing wealth or closing loopholes for the rich would be to equalise capital gains and dividends tax rates with the rates applied to other forms of non-savings income. Why should passive income be taxed at a more favourable rate than earned income? If anything, if governments truly wanted to incentivise hard work, it would be the other way around. Instead, rich people with investment portfolios and inherited property get a much more favourable tax rate (although admittedly the dividend rate has recently increased but not the whole way to 40 or 45%).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The rhetoric around wealth could lead many people to assume that most of it is gained illicitly however. But I agree with you that the rich should pay the most, it’s just a case of maximising the tax take from the rich and finding the best way of achieving that.

Its hard to resist succumbing to the sloganeering (and intuitive appeal) around taxing the rich, but when you discover that such policies, more often than not, reduce the tax take from that group then you have to be more practical about it.
Go on then, find some evidence for this that isn't just a rich person saying it.

End of the day the UK is at the centre of the world's largest network of tax havens, if you're rich and don't want to pay much tax it's already very easy. Perhaps we should work on changing that...

Those who do pay their fair share of taxes will probably still do so if for example capital gains or income tax goes up a few percent.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I feel attacked. :(

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Dan_F

I think there was another thread a while ago about this, so probably not worth debating in here when we clearly have completely opposite views and won’t change each others mind. I’d rather the tax loopholes were closed than just accepting that if we try and take too much tax from the rich, they will just find a way around it.

justsomebloke

Reckon Ron English is just a right wing troll, either partially or fully aware of the issues at hand. But the number of likes he generates is what is worrying, as they'll be people who actually believe what he says.
Yup.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
decent sources in government are saying a very early election. much earlier than expected. brought to you by the Truss/@n@l rumourer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
An early election was always inevitable. Leaving it to run until they legally have to call an election is weak. This puts them in control of the date and they will no doubt have a big campaign ready with lots of dirt and misinformation lined up for their client journalists to propagate.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
An early election was always inevitable. Leaving it to run until they legally have to call an election is weak. This puts them in control of the date and they will no doubt have a big campaign ready with lots of dirt and misinformation lined up for their client journalists to propagate.
"Sir Keir Starmer is a Sir. He thinks he's better than you because you don't have a Sir. Do you really want a posh git telling you what to do? Vote for Rishi Sunak, a man who fills his own petrol tank, and stand up to the elitists. God Save the King. Vote Tory."

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
"Sir Keir Starmer is a Sir. He thinks he's better than you because you don't have a Sir. Do you really want a posh git telling you what to do? Vote for Rishi Sunak, a man who fills his own petrol tank, and stand up to the elitists. God Save the King. Vote Tory."
Plus, the Labour Party have never had a brown leader or a woman, even though they are woke, hypocrites

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
How does an early election make sense when you consider they just brought in Cameron? Why would he come back for a very short stint when it looks like they'll get hammered in the elections?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How does an early election make sense when you consider they just brought in Cameron? Why would he come back for a very short stint when it looks like they'll get hammered in the elections?
Things can only get worse, I bet.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...082789f67453dd#block-655f56008f082789f67453dd

Starmer calls latest net migration figures 'shockingly high'
Keir Starmer has described today’s net migration figures, showing it at 745,000 in the year to December 2022 (a figure that has been revised upwards) and 672,000 in the year to June 2023, as “shockingly high”. Echoing language used by Yvette Cooper (see 1.07pm), Starmer said:

That figure is shockingly high. It represents a failure, not just of immigration, but also of asylum and of the economy.
Because within that figure there’s a huge increase in work visas, which shows the government hasn’t done what it needs to do on skills.
Within that number there are a rising number of asylum seekers and disclosure that the hotel bills are going up and up.
Starmer still appealing to the knuckle-draggers.
Asylum seekers, eh?

UK voted for Brexit, told the Europeans they weren't welcome. Wanted a system so that people from all over the world could come.
They're coming.

Make Brexit work, Starmer? Haha. Funny.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s there to help them win the election. They want a Cameron bounce with traditional Tory voters.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He’s there to help them win the election. They want a Cameron bounce with traditional Tory voters.
"David Cameron is a nice man. Think back on how nice he was. Don't Google it, just remember all of the nice things he did. There you go. Nice... Such a nice man. And he clearly loves animals, even ones you'd find on a farm. Vote Tory."