Westminster Politics

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This is all an elaborate boomer plan to get back at their grandchildren. Consistently vote to the detriment of the younger generation, throw out all the care workers and wreck the NHS just so they can have them at their bedsides wiping their arses to earn their slice of the will from the multiple properties they've been renting out as HMO's (to immigrants) that will need to be sold off on their passing.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
This is all an elaborate boomer plan to get back at their grandchildren. Consistently vote to the detriment of the younger generation, throw out all the care workers and wreck the NHS just so they can have them at their bedsides wiping their arses to earn their slice of the will from the multiple properties they've been renting out as HMO's (to immigrants) that will need to be sold off on their passing.
This is the most coherent argument for the Tory strategy. Just need to add in something about increasing the wealth inequality.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The answer is simple, since demand in jobs is always elastic, but those who have control (employers) are ideologically against doing what's right. Pay more for these positions, and improve working conditions.
Can#t speak for the first 3, but my best friend is a chef in a high-end restaurant and waiters and kitchen staff are really mistreated and low paid, and it's an industry wide phenomenon.
But the menial jobs won't be filled by British people. The people who run these companies aren't going to pay high salaries for low-skilled jobs.
My son-in-law has his own small building company here where he just about makes a living. He was hoping that his two sons would take over the business, my grandsons, who are teenagers. Neither have the slightest intention of becoming a builder. It's not worth all the hassle and they can see that at 50 their father is physically worn out with at least another fifteen years before retirement.

owlo

But the menial jobs won't be filled by British people. The people who run these companies aren't going to pay high salaries for low-skilled jobs.
My son-in-law has his own small building company here where he just about makes a living. He was hoping that his two sons would take over the business, my grandsons, who are teenagers. Neither have the slightest intention of becoming a builder. It's not worth all the hassle and they can see that at 50 their father is physically worn out with at least another fifteen years before retirement.
The small scale building industry is going to change massively in the next decade, and those teenagers would be raking it in if they knew how to progress now. Cnc fab and 3d printing are the future and nobody in the country is remotely on top of the curve.

Paul the Wolf

The small scale building industry is going to change massively in the next decade, and those teenagers would be raking it in if they knew how to progress now. Cnc fab and 3d printing are the future and nobody in the country is remotely on top of the curve.
CNC has been talked about for decades. And it's a long way off. But that doesn't remove the need for builders etc for existing properties.
In any case Labour aren't talking about new ways of building houses but instead about bricklayers etc.

owlo

CNC has been talked about for decades. And it's a long way off. But that doesn't remove the need for builders etc for existing properties.
In any case Labour aren't talking about new ways of building houses but instead about bricklayers etc.
Builder appropriate cnc is about £8k now, less if you have welding and engineering skill or bought during covid. 3d printing a bit more as you need ceramics capability/kilns but still, the point stands. People with those skills in the industry will make a lot of money. I did mean for existing builds not prefabs, being able to make custom pipes/brackets/ceramics on the fly saves a lot of time and money. I agree with you though on the core point (brexit disaster hello there)

Cloud7

I will say again that I don’t think the average person in the UK understands how much their healthcare service is propped up by immigrants. And the NHS is generally not a very good place to work anyway. As a doctor, of the big English speaking countries (UK, Canada, US, Australia), when viewed as a whole in terms of wages, training opportunities, staffing and structural setup, the UK is comfortably the worst of the four.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The answer is simple, since demand in jobs is always elastic, but those who have control (employers) are ideologically against doing what's right. Pay more for these positions, and improve working conditions.
Can#t speak for the first 3, but my best friend is a chef in a high-end restaurant and waiters and kitchen staff are really mistreated and low paid, and it's an industry wide phenomenon.
It does seem like employers have become more ideologically short-sighted over the past decade. I've seen it happen myself across the charity / higher education sectors with constant cutbacks and vanity projects leading the way. The people running these organisations are usually well up for change but resistant to the reality of training and improving working conditions. Interestingly they've become increasingly good at talking the right game, which is all that seems to matter now.

I can't say what it's like for other industries but I think a lot of grunt staff can see it happening a mile off. I wouldn't be shocked if overall stress levels have skyrocketed with worse real-term pay and covering about three jobs being the norm.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Colleges are, where I am at least. But then all the colleges are underfunded because the SNP really don't like anything other than universities.

Paul the Wolf

Builder appropriate cnc is about £8k now, less if you have welding and engineering skill or bought during covid. 3d printing a bit more as you need ceramics capability/kilns but still, the point stands. People with those skills in the industry will make a lot of money. I did mean for existing builds not prefabs, being able to make custom pipes/brackets/ceramics on the fly saves a lot of time and money. I agree with you though on the core point (brexit disaster hello there)
Yes but all the parts that are manufactured still have to be installed and adjusted and repaired etc.

The main object is to grow the economy first but I see no plan how this will happen. You mentioned a customs union a free movement of goods (which comes with capital/services and labour ie being in the EU, which is also a long way off and further more Starmer has already ruled that out. Which is why I said previously Starmer doesn't understand Brexit and still thinks there's a menu he can select from. There's only one type of Brexit , The UK has it.

owlo

Colleges are, where I am at least. But then all the colleges are underfunded because the SNP really don't like anything other than universities.
A technical college that teaches maths, coding, engineering, and mechanics seems like a winner to me. I'm just a hobbyist but there's a big disconnect in the workplace between 'mechanics' 'engineers' and 'coders' when essentially, they all do the same thing, or at least work on different parts of the same problems. I should check if there are any 'adult education' courses near me that have the big cnc machines though; would save me some cash.

Yes but all the parts that are manufactured still have to be installed and adjusted and repaired etc.

The main object is to grow the economy first but I see no plan how this will happen. You mentioned a customs union a free movement of goods (which comes with capital/services and labour ie being in the EU, which is also a long way off and further more Starmer has already ruled that out. Which is why I said previously Starmer doesn't understand Brexit and still thinks there's a menu he can select from. There's only one type of Brexit , The UK has it.
Aye but you increase productivity greatly if you can say, machine a custom bracket or fitting for a specific spot in a house and then install it, instead of ordering it in and cutting it to size etc.

Can't do anything but agree. It's complete defeatism, to just rely on closed markets and import tariffs. It's telling the world you're not even going to try to compete and that you're production is crap so your exports will be to. (especially as they face tariffs)

Eplel

It does seem like employers have become more ideologically short-sighted over the past decade. I've seen it happen myself across the charity / higher education sectors with constant cutbacks and vanity projects leading the way. The people running these organisations are usually well up for change but resistant to the reality of training and improving working conditions. Interestingly they've become increasingly good at talking the right game, which is all that seems to matter now.

I can't say what it's like for other industries but I think a lot of grunt staff can see it happening a mile off. I wouldn't be shocked if overall stress levels have skyrocketed with worse real-term pay and covering about three jobs being the norm.
You're quite right about them being ideological. I work in HR and have come across way too many founders and CEOs who are like that, and I've explained to them that it doesn't matter if they ideologically do not care about diversity and being a good employer, it is a great investment for them to implement both in their workplaces because it will make them money. By the numbers, high employee turnover, low productivity, and missing out on good talent is going to cost you way more than actually being a good employer, with respectable salaries, employees with good productivity, a wider and better talent pool, and a good reputation. Goes in from one ear, comes out of the other. I've given up on jobs because of this shit.

MoskvaRed

it is appropriate that a party that has long ceased any attempt at serious government is tearing itself apart over a completely unserious “policy” like Rwanda.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Tories are desperate for the UK to become a 4th world country and if they try to circumvent international law, to lose their international trade agreements too.
Just been watching Channel 4 news and a senior Tory MP was saying that the only way to stop the small boats was to depot people who came on small boats is to send them to Rwanda..... the only way.
There is clearly not an only way and to say it is is ridiculous in the extreme.

In all my long days I have never seen a government so fixated on one issue. And they are tearing themselves apart pretending that Rwanda is a safe place.
Nothing else now seems to matter to them.

Paul the Wolf

Just been watching Channel 4 news and a senior Tory MP was saying that the only way to stop the small boats was to depot people who came on small boats is to send them to Rwanda..... the only way.
There is clearly not an only way and to say it is is ridiculous in the extreme.

In all my long days I have never seen a government so fixated on one issue. And they are tearing themselves apart pretending that Rwanda is a safe place.
Nothing else now seems to matter to them.
They have convinced themselves that this will win them the election. There's nothing else left. They've completely trashed the country on everything. The government is filled with incompetent fools who should never be anywhere close to power. That is another legacy of Johnson who surrounded himself with people that were even more incompetent than himself.

F-Red

How long before the votes of no confidence begin to come in? I'd be surprised if Sunak survives till the end of January.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How long before the votes of no confidence begin to come in? I'd be surprised if Sunak survives till the end of January.
Listening to the current situation, it appears that despite a great deal of disunity within the Tories, there isn't even a consensus. The right think the Rwanda Bill doesn't go far enough while others don't think it will work.

The disunity is disunited.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Following yet another resignation, the simple fact is that the whole Rwanda fiasco has become such a shambolic mess that even if it happened, it would hardly benefit the government popularity before the next GE.

It is fiddling while Rome burns.

Eplel

Sunak has called a surprise press conference. Is it time?

Edit: It was not time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecker couldn't call his backbenchers' bluff.

Last edited:

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It is a bollocks stat, but remained unchallenged so now it will be trotted out by the right as true.
In the notice under the video it states: Even in London, only 47.6% of the social housing stock is headed by a foreign-born household head, not over 50%.

If accurate, that’s a pretty incredible statistic.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
In the notice under the video it states: Even in London, only 47.6% of the social housing stock is headed by a foreign-born household head, not over 50%.

If accurate, that’s a pretty incredible statistic.
47% isn't more than 50% and London isn't Britain.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
47% isn't more than 50% and London isn't Britain.
If your quarrel is with the phrasing of the tweet then that’s fair. The person in the video mentioned London specifically so whoever posted that tweet is culpable for ‘summarising’ his claim in that way.

Leaving the tweet aside, 47.6% (effectively half) is still a remarkably high figure.

Maticmaker

Reckon we are heading for a May election.
I suspect it depends on how quickly the Tories can develop their 'scorched earth' retreat position. They know they can't win and have only one aim now that is to stop a significant Labour majority. When the Tories think they are in a position to do that, and in what time frame, this is what will determine the date for the GE.