Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Suspect this is at the latest. If the 1912 committee gets enough letters I think Sunak will pull the trigger.
Possibly.
But I would be very surprised if there is a strong appetite for yet another leadership challenge.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The trick to race baiting is to just stop short of the moment where it becomes undeniable. Racists and anti-semites know that art very well. It's called the dog whistle.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67656220

So they are able to find £240 million to give to Rwanda. For what exactly. The report says that the government have only divulged the following repeated requests.
Would be easier to give those who want to come here £10,000 not to.
Its advertising. We give them some money for advertising how mean we are and they pay money to arsenal to bring in tourist jobs to give jobs to the migrants. Kinda like how our military hardware companies work alongside international funding

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67656220

So they are able to find £240 million to give to Rwanda. For what exactly. The report says that the government have only divulged the following repeated requests.
Would be easier to give those who want to come here £10,000 not to.
£240m...so far. For zero deportations. So just to be clear that's £240m + all the wasted civil service and parliamentary time + the lawyers' fees and wasted court time for zero deportations. Which works out at £infinity per deportation. Thus directly proportional to the pointlessness and distastefulness of the plans.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm really pleased the Tories are in power now so they can deal with the problem of uncontrolled immigration which other governments have ignored for the past 13 years.

Frosty

£240m...so far. For zero deportations. So just to be clear that's £240m + all the wasted civil service and parliamentary time + the lawyers' fees and wasted court time for zero deportations. Which works out at £infinity per deportation. Thus directly proportional to the pointlessness and distastefulness of the plans.
It is better value than those COVID contracts at least.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Oh yes and another £50 million has been promised by our new Home Secretary. Talk about being stitched up by Rwanda.
With the distinct possibility that it will all be for nothing.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm really pleased the Tories are in power now so they can deal with the problem of uncontrolled immigration which other governments have ignored for the past 13 years.
What uncontrolled immigration?

Since Brexit the UK Government has had full control of legal immigration, as for illegal immigration they have a degree of control over that as well, they could provide the necessary resources to prevent much of it and actually process and deport the ones that don't have a right to entry

Balljy

It'd have been so nice if this scale of Tory losses led to the Greens making it a 3 party system.

owlo

Not much hope of a spring election then.
Given it's getting worse not better for them, all bets are off. You'd usually wait to try and salvage seats/do some governing, but not sure either can happen. I don't know if there's a capacity for more regicide, and it's hard to see Sunak lasting long now. Polls getting worse not better for them. Delay 12 months and even less might have jobs.

Who are the two Tory gains? Nadine Dorries constituency I imagine and?
Not sure. Doesn't seem to say. Poll seems quite suspect as SNP as low as 16 seems unlikely. https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html seems a bit more likely maybe.

TwoSheds

Oh yes and another £50 million has been promised by our new Home Secretary. Talk about being stitched up by Rwanda.
With the distinct possibility that it will all be for nothing.
If it's all for nothing that will be the best case scenario at this point. It will only increase the legal and administrative costs, reputational harm, levels of immorality and economic self harm should they actually manage to finally deport some poor fecker.

Frosty

What uncontrolled immigration?

Since Brexit the UK Government has had full control of legal immigration, as for illegal immigration they have a degree of control over that as well, they could provide the necessary resources to prevent much of it and actually process and deport the ones that don't have a right to entry
Clearly my sarcasm was misplaced.

TwoSheds

Imagine being in that 22% though and thinking "yes we need some more of this" :houllier:
Well 11% are voting for the Brexit party led by some failed actor according to that poll so...a third of the country are brain-dead?

Cloud7

Imagine being in that 22% though and thinking "yes we need some more of this" :houllier:
I spoke with some family members who are staunchly conservative. I did not delve too deep into their reasons because I am close with them and did not want to end up in an argument, but basically it's an amalgamation of them (A) Viewing "woke" as one of the most pressing issues and the Tories being the only ones willing to "stand up to it" (B) Viewing "migrants" and "the boats" as the biggest issue facing the country right now (C) Believing that labor are far worse than the conservatives on any issue.

I strongly suspect that C is just a bit of a cover up, and they've just tunnel visioned themselves into viewing A and B as the most important issues and the only ones worth voting on.

TwoSheds

I spoke with some family members who are staunchly conservative. I did not delve too deep into their reasons because I am close with them and did not want to end up in an argument, but basically it's an amalgamation of them (A) Viewing "woke" as one of the most pressing issues and the Tories being the only ones willing to "stand up to it" (B) Viewing "migrants" and "the boats" as the biggest issue facing the country right now (C) Believing that labor are far worse than the conservatives on any issue.

I strongly suspect that C is just a bit of a cover up, and they've just tunnel visioned themselves into viewing A and B as the most important issues and the only ones worth voting on.
Because there's nothing obviously wrong with their lives and yet they've still got a nagging sense that all is not quite as it should be and somehow they're getting screwed. Which they are because they keep voting for knobheads.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If that does happen and I would be surprised if the Labour majority was quite as big as that, it would be no more than what the Tories deserve after completely thrashing the UK. The country is pretty much as broken as I can ever remember. But it is not going to be that easy for Labour to turn it round because of the awful mess.