Other Which famous person's death affected you the most?

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
None really that I can think of. I'm not really particularly invested in celebrity culture and wouldn't say I overly follow anyone. I'm sure there probably are a few which were unsettling at the time but not many come to mind.

Robin Williams and Amy Winehouse were particularly sad as someone else mentioned. Heath Ledger and Gary Speed were also very sad. Heath was a superb actor and his portrayal of the joker is still up there with one of the best characters I've seen.

Aside from the above I was actually quite saddened by Michael Jacksons death as I've always been a huge fan of his work and he was due to go on tour in the coming months too. I don't think he had performed live properly for a long time so that was quite exciting and then yeh he died. Always remember being at a house party and must have been around 16 or 17 at the time when the news came through in the early hours of the morning I think.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'll never understand how people feel anything more than momentary sadness/sympathy when people they don't personally know die.
I think its a bit weird not to feel very sad when someone you really like, be it in music, movies or sport dies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
On the football side - not so much shocking but still upsetting Sir Matt Busby

Also Hillsborough - there for the grace of god, United played there a few weeks before and I was there and we were packed in like sardines, that could of been us

Bradford fire is another football one and the Ibrox crush in 1971

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
You can tell who the car fanatics are in here :lol:.

What about King Zyzz. Where my gym bros at?

Irwin99

Amy Winehouse's death was shocking but considering her problems it probably shouldn't have been.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Philip Seymour Hoffman
I remember an interview he gave about the Panem movies. He talked about how he accepted the role so he could finally have a movie he could watch with his children. Shortly thereafter he died. It’s so sad to think about. The man had his addiction under control for more than 20 years, I believe. And just like that, it took him. Really shows how incredibly tough the fight against addiction must be and how it’s never over, until you die. :(

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Amy Winehouse's death was shocking but considering her problems it probably shouldn't have been.
I worked in Camden in the 2000's and saw her pretty regularly around the area, in the pubs and so on, didn't know her personally but you could tell it wasn't going to end well

Andy_Cole

I had Michael Jackson tickets so was gutted about that.

Kobe from recent memory. Paul Walker too.

decorativeed

I'll never understand how people feel anything more than momentary sadness/sympathy when people they don't personally know die.
Is that not what we're talking about rather than the ones where you go 'Ah, well, they had a good innings' (see Betty White) or even 'Get in!' (reserved for the likes of Donald Trump)?

nimic

something nice
Scout
'WTF Is' was a solid series. Lad was sharp when it comes to criticism, and every argument was backed up by almost hour long vids full of personal observations and lots of logical statements which he could probably make on daily basis !

He could easily be a sport commentator with that voice.
Also a great consumer rights defender, actually. And a SC2 commentator (and team owner for a while). I never really feel much when celebrities die, beyond a "oh, that sucks", but TB was someone I'd been watching for hours and hours over several years, and someone who was all over something I was very invested in (SC2). Also the whole cancer thing doesn't help.

Still makes me sad to think about.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Actually, the first "celebrity" death I felt genuinely very sad about was Robert Jordan. Same reason as TotalBiscuit, except books instead of games.

Toblerone92

Mark Fisher & David Graeber. Two great minds who's commentary and analysis of modern society and culture always resonated with me, and articulated so well what many of us feel today.

mu4c_20le

Bill Paxton was a recent one that bummed me out for awhile, particularly in how sudden it was. And, like Hoffman, was right on the back of a couple of big movies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Bowie. The world started crumbling as soon as his life force stopped holding it together

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This exactly, I always used to watch them as a family and they seemed so unaffected and naturally happy. But then, with that lifestyle, who wouldn't? I also saw his wife give an interview after his death and it was so earnest and happy, it brought a real lump to my throat.
I’ve been lucky enough to see the croc show at his zoo, his wife, daughter and son were all there and all heavily involved and constantly bringing up Steve too. They definitely loved him, they’ve not let his legacy die out even slightly Which is fantastic.

Havak

Pokemon master
Largely because it was quite recent, but Jason David Frank was a huge one for me. I loved the Power Rangers as a kid and he was the personification of that franchise. I was looking forward to his new movie that was partly Power Rangers inspired - I'm hopeful it can still be finished and that he had shot some scenes already for the 30th anniversary stuff on Netflix.

There's probably loads of others that were shocking at the time to me. Some already mentioned like Princess Diana, Michael Jackson, and Robin Williams are some of the sadder ones. I can remember where I was when I first heard about each of those even though I was quite young for some of them, so that probably says something.

Of course, Queen Elizabeth II was something else entirely. That quite clearly had an unfathomable impact not just on this country but the entire world.

We lose too many in football, but George Best going was sad even if inevitable. The Busby Babes remembrance usually makes me cry even though they were way before my time, but the emotional attachment to Manchester United just makes me feel a part of it and saddened by that tragedy even if it was decades before I was born.

Pickle85

I found out about Elliott Smith because I was working in HMV and word came through from head office to stick as many of his albums as we had on a prominent display as they expected a rush on because he'd died. Capitalism at it's most heartfelt.

A big one for me was Norm Macdonald back in 2021. I had been watching loads of his stuff during the andemic and had just put an episode of his sitcom on pause to go and cook some food when I read the headline he'd died.
Jesus that's bleak, isn't it?! I was at uni when I heard and I retired to my room, played his albums back to back and got wasted alone. The alone bit was mostly because nobody else wanted to sit and listen to six Elliott Smith albums in a row. At least, not with me. :nervous:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Kurt Cobain by a mile. Not when it happened as I was 9 and wasn’t aware of him. But later on when I got into and fell in love with his / their music and to this day. It’s the one celebrity death that still saddens me. The rest of the people I’ve been a ‘fan’ of are all still around.
I was 21 when he died and remember it so well, I was devastated, I can’t think of another celebrity death that has affected me in the same way.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Kobe Bryant was out of nowhere and so sudden. I think this is the one.

We need an rvn

I’ve got two and can’t decide which was affected me more as I shed a tear for all three - no other celebrity death seems to have affected me in the same sense - possibly Kobe too.

Paul walker - loved the movies but
was an amazing guy apparently giving a lot to charity etc and to die the way he did, couldn’t get it out of my head for a bit.

Tim Bergling - aka Avicii - was in a bad place personally at the time trying to juggle a number of family member medical things and started to suffer from anxiety and a bit of depression but his music always got me going when I needed it. To found out what he did and what he struggled with hit jome

Glorio

They don't tend to affect me that much but 3 main ones:
Paul Walker - because there was more to come from him
Chadwick Boseman - again because there was more to come from him
Tupac Shakur - because he's Tupac Amaru Shakur
Kobe Bryant - man's a legend

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Huge fan of Chris Cornell and Norm Mcdonald so was definitely sad when they passed but I've never been attached to any celebrity and never felt that personal sense of loss. Just shame that they wouldn't be able to create their amazing work and of course sad for their families.

Kobe is still the only celebrity death that I felt actually hit me on a personal level. Being a huge Lakers fan and having followed his career from start to end, have both the 8 and 24 jerseys. The way he was killing it post basketball career, Oscar's, girls sports, and just growing as a human being. How sudden it was and the devastating fact that he was with Gigi and all those other families going to a girls basketball game. That one really sucked.

decorativeed

Jesus that's bleak, isn't it?! I was at uni when I heard and I retired to my room, played his albums back to back and got wasted alone. The alone bit was mostly because nobody else wanted to sit and listen to six Elliott Smith albums in a row. At least, not with me. :nervous:
Just a bit, yeah. It happened a few times, but never with any artist I cared about particularly.