Other Which famous person's death affected you the most?

Red Stone

Sam Lloyd was sad. I'm a big Scrubs fan and Ted is probably my favourite character. Sam had only just become a father when he was diagnosed with cancer. He hung on for a while, a little over a year, and I think it even looked like he might win the fight at one point, but then it suddenly went downhill very quickly.

The way everyone involved with Scrubs talks about him makes him seem like just the nicest and most genuine guy, and obviously super talented as both a comedic actor and a musician. Add his young son into the mix and it just becomes all the more devastating.

Acole9

Outstanding
Chester Bennington was quite a painful one. It took a good couple of weeks for me to process it. Felt like a family member had passed.

atkar83

Two of them. Layne Staley of Alice in Chains when he OD'd in 2002 (was a huge fan of the band). It sort of hit me for a long time. It wasn't a shock because he'd been going downhill for a while, and the band hadn't been doing much in a while. But I know as a young teen I feel depressed for a few weeks after than news.

The other was Mitch Hedberg. I had just a month earlier found out about him and was an instant fan. I loved his material. To have him pass away so quick after discovering him, especially a comedian that only wanted to make you laugh hit me the same way it did Staley.

arthurka

Mercury of course that was huge and in the middle of the AIDS epidemic, just remember reading about Magic having AIDS and just assumed he was dead too.

Then Strummer what an absolute shit that was, always had the hope in The Clash coming back but well the universe has other ideas.

But Bowie was huge, just left me floored. He was the soundtrack to my life since I was 10. I just remember listening to Blackstar and just coming out with tears in my eyes telling my girlfriend he was dying, which she told me to stop this emotional exaggeration and grow a pair. He died couple of days later. I was empty for months and couldn't listen to Bowie for more than 6 months. To be fair the world has gone to shit since it happened.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sean Lock is the most recent one that depressed me. He was such a brilliant comedic mind.

MrGroovy

Chester Bennington, both how it happened and for what he meant to me.
Ditto for me :(

Oh and Kobe. Afterwards watching his interview with/talking about her daughter Gigi shed me some tears..

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I think James Gandolfini, as an actor I don't see him being surpassed and still get a bit sad when I watch Sopranos again.

I did get bizarrely emotional when I heard Dennis Hopper died for some reason, not sure why as he's not really an actor I was ever especially invested in.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Gandolfini is one. I don't think he could have ever not been Tony Soprano. One of the greatest performances of a character. Just way too young and the fact that his son had to find him.

Mac Miller. I read his last text messages where he was clearly desperate for a fix and even then he was still really kind and sweet to the people he was speaking to. Just seemed like a lovely guy who reached the end of his inevitable path. So much premonition in his lyrics.

Weirdly when Anthony Bourdain died it sent me into a bit of a spiral. I had heard of him but hadn't even seen his shows. I think it was just as I was properly learning about mental health and the idea that somebody who traveled the world and explored all these different cultures could be that unhappy didn't sit right with me. Obviously now I understand it all much better but I think for a couple weeks I felt pretty grim and down about things.

Real Name

Maradona, Gandolfini, Robin Williams.

I was 12 when Senna died and to this day I remember how much of a shock it was to the whole world and people around me, even those who couldn't care less about F1.

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Excuse me if I bruise any sensitivities with my post, it isn't my intention. I completely understand why people would be gutted. These are afterall people that played a significant role in their lives, its only natural they would feel a certain way with the passing of their idols.

As for myself can't think of any. Wasn't one to be invested in celebrity culture. Even on social media whether that's YouTube, Twitter, FaceBook, InstaGram, TikTok I'm more subscribed to people that give tips and tutorials as opposed to talented stars. Again, not saying there's anything wrong with others being affected. I suppose Chadwick was a pity, but affected? I don't know about that

redcucumber

MF Doom probably the most profound, followed by Bowie. Sean Price and Prodigy also stung.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Terry Pratchett
Yep this. And Michael Jackson going gave me a pit in my stomach for days. Princess Diana for the constant media exposure which couldn't help but rope you in.

And one strange one: Les Dawson. Back in the days.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wim de Bie died today. No one except the Dutch cafarts will know who he is. 1 part of the greatest satirical duo in Dutch history. "Koot en Bie". They were about 40 years early in their depiction of populism and general politics.

I bet @Cheimoon appreciates them.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
David Bowie's passing, a couple of days after the release of Blackstar, was a big big shock that left me feeling empty for a little while.
Same. Bowie was like losing a friend. I felt sort of sorry for George Best, but didn’t feel much. Nothing equivalent in Football really.

Oldyella

Haven't really been affected as such to date by a celebrity death. There are some current celebrities that I would be gutted to lose though.

Only one that really sticks in my head is princess Di, simply as I was coming back from a heavy night out with my missus and her friend and my coked up brain though I was on for a three way, and the news was a big mood killer :lol: I'm sure it's how she would want to be remembered.

DevTheRed

Robin Williams definitely hit the hardest.. huge part of my childhood. Good Will Hunting still up there as a favourite also.

Apart from him the likes of Paul Walker, Avicii, Chadwick Boseman and Steve Irwin.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wim de Bie died today. No one except the Dutch cafarts will know who he is. 1 part of the greatest satirical duo in Dutch history. "Koot en Bie". They were about 40 years early in their depiction of populism and general politics.

I bet @Cheimoon appreciates them.
Even made headlines on our national news yesterday and my mum mentioned it when I passed by last night as well - can't say I had heard of him but apparently popular over here as well in the 60-80s.

OT: the three I remember most vividly are already mentioned on this very page - Chester Bennington, Mac Miller and by far and away Kobe.