Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Only one I would actually want is Tuchel. I do not want Poch and the other two are huge gambles. Slim picking indeed.
While I don’t necessarily feel Tuchel is better than Ten Hag I think he’s a good enough manager that he would also benefit from the new structure and squad etc

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
And it represents a very clean cut with no excuses from the previous regime etc

Just hope they are still brutal in their assessment of what the squad needs

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
While I don’t necessarily feel Tuchel is better than Ten Hag I think he’s a good enough manager that he would also benefit from the new structure and squad etc
I think he's more adaptable and tactically flexible, with the added pedigree of winning big trophies. So I think he'd be a good fit for where we are. I don't see the point of gambling with Frank or McKenna when we have no idea what kind of squad rebuild we'll be able to do.

davidmichael

English, Irish, managers from the UK, the point still stands anyway :lol:
I’m pretty sure we as a club haven’t done too badly with managers from the UK, pretty sure our two most successful managers ever and one being arguably the best ever just so happened to be from the UK.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
I think he's more adaptable and tactically flexible, with the added pedigree of winning big trophies. So I think he'd be a good fit for where we are. I don't see the point of gambling with Frank or McKenna when we have no idea what kind of squad rebuild we'll be able to do.
Short term gain give him 2 years and see where we’re at?

My worry is that’s he’s coming off the back of a failure of his own. Knocked out by 3rd division side in the DFB Pokal, 3rd in the Bundesliga behind Stuttgart and Leverkusen.

Hes probably the best of the available coaches that would come to us but I can’t help but feel if we had a Ten Hag on the market he’d be the one we’d be in for too.

I just hope whatever they do it works.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not that high on Tuchel lately. I think him and Pochettino have plateaued and might be past their best.

I would honestly take a punt on McKenna.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Surely our team are able to pick players based on the managers style? It's a blank canvass.
That’s what I mean. Tuchel or whoever else coming in should benefit from those structural changes.

Which is why I wonder why are we entertaining coaches that we aren’t confident are superior?

Would you take Ten Hag from finishing 3rd in the Bundesliga?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Short term gain give him 2 years and see where we’re at?

My worry is that’s he’s coming off the back of a failure of his own. Knocked out by 3rd division side in the DFB Pokal, 3rd in the Bundesliga behind Stuttgart and Leverkusen.

Hes probably the best of the available coaches that would come to us but I can’t help but feel if we had a Ten Hag on the market he’d be the one we’d be in for too.

I just hope whatever they do it works.
I think he has the best chance of getting us competing again quickly. That could mean long term he's the man too, it depends how he sets the team up and the fans warm to it.

True, but look who's replacing him. Bayern are in a very odd spot right now. The whole Palinha transfer falling through was a bit of a shambles and they never really ended up with the 6 they needed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a pragmatic choice, which is a bit dull, I know. I just don't think we can change the structure, a fair bit of the squad and take a gamble on an inexperienced manager, all in one summer.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not that high on Tuchel lately. I think him and Pochettino have plateaued and might be past their best.

I would honestly take a punt on McKenna.
That's my concern too. I would rather hire a coach that has his best days ahead of him.

Castia

Poch or De Zerbi

I’ve been a big Poch fan since his stint at Spurs and we should have appointed him 3-4 years ago. Under the circumstances he’s done a good job at Chelsea who are an absolute mess.

And for De Zerbi that Brighton squad should be fighting relegation his average starting 11 this season is seriously poor so to finish mid table whilst playing some really good football is arguably more impressive than last season considering they sold more top players and went through a massive injury crisis

Red00012

Also got quite the history with us so he would know the ins and outs of the club alteady

Must say, fair play to him for working his way up into a position where he's considered a credible candidate for a host of top PL jobs, not including Brighton, off the back of years of grinding and a terrific season in the Championship.

Takes some fortitude taking a risk and betting on yourself and your abilities like that. Think he's got the mental makeup/aptitude for a big job like United personally.
Can we ban anything to do with “ he knows the ins and outs of the club “ on here please. What does it even mean . If anything the club has been a shitshow the last 10 years so maybe hes better not knowing “the ins and outs “

Red00012

Poch or De Zerbi

I’ve been a big Poch fan since his stint at Spurs and we should have appointed him 3-4 years ago. Under the circumstances he’s done a good job at Chelsea who are an absolute mess.

And for De Zerbi that Brighton squad should be fighting relegation his average starting 11 this season is seriously poor so to finish mid table whilst playing some really good football is arguably more impressive than last season considering they sold more top players and went through a massive injury crisis
Both of them can gladly stay away from the club please and thank you .

Red00012

Who’s your choice?
Tuchel is my choice. You’ve defended Pochettino with Chelsea saying he’s done well despite the mess of a club. So is it the clubs fault they lose ( 5-0 to Arsenal for example ) and when they win it’s Poch is doing a great job ?

Castia

Tuchel is my choice. You’ve defended Pochettino with Chelsea saying he’s done well despite the mess of a club. So is it the clubs fault they lose ( 5-0 to Arsenal for example ) and when they win it’s Poch is doing a great job ?
I mean we can all pick holes Tuchel just finished third in a 1 horse race leading Bayern to their worst finish in god knows how many years

He’s a decent cup manager who notoriously falls out with players and the board and has a questionable league record at best.

/shrug

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
I think he has the best chance of getting us competing again quickly. That could mean long term he's the man too, it depends how he sets the team up and the fans warm to it.

True, but look who's replacing him. Bayern are in a very odd spot right now. The whole Palinha transfer falling through was a bit of a shambles and they never really ended up with the 6 they needed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's a pragmatic choice, which is a bit dull, I know. I just don't think we can change the structure, a fair bit of the squad and take a gamble on an inexperienced manager, all in one summer.
The thing is we competed last season and against Arsenal recently too. So I’m not fully convinced by Tuchel being one to do this for us.

I look at Bayern’s season with no major problems (save maybe being short 1 CB in the squad till Jan) and just don’t know that it’s best.

Eddy_JukeZ

That's my concern too. I would rather hire a coach that has his best days ahead of him.
Worried that Tuchel and Pochettino's best days are clearly behind them. I'm sure we'd do much better next season with those 2 compared to this season, but long-term, I'm not sure they'd get us fighting for titles. I also don't like Pochettino's style. I think he's become a bit redundant nowadays. And I can't get over the fact that I just don't think he's a winner. I said it in 2018, but he just doesn't have 'it'.

McKenna or De Zerbi for me. Untapped potential with a greater ceiling.

Just because ETH didn't work out, it doesn't mean we should give up on managers with a bit of an unknown about them.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The thing is we competed last season and against Arsenal recently too. So I’m not fully convinced by Tuchel being one to do this for us.

I look at Bayern’s season with no major problems (save maybe being short 1 CB in the squad till Jan) and just don’t know that it’s best.
I think that's fair, I wouldn't throw my toys out the pram if Ten Hag was give the last year of his contract either. I think if we're definitely moving Ten Hag on, it seems a bit stupid we've waited this long to pick managers without experience at the top level. Given we've got the euros, they'll end up getting extremely little time with the squad, so could have done with that extra time if we want to start the the season singing from the same hymn sheet.

Cloud7

At least there's finally some sensible stories being circulated about potential replacements and the prospect of him being sacked. Gives me some hope that he might actually be on the way out after all.

FortunaUtd

It is kind of ironic that you would clamour about our unprecedented injury situation and our lack of structure to excuse Ten Hag but Tuchel gets no leeway. Bayern's pensioner interim executives fecked him over massively by selling two RCB/RBs in Pavard and Stanisic and failing to sign a replacement until winter. They also sold two midfielders and the 2nd leftback to sign Guerreiro who was injured for the most part of the first season half. The midfield signing Laimer had to fill in at RB. The RB they signed in winter (the French guy from Galatasaray) got injured immediately. The other right back (Mazraoui) and the CB replacement for Hernandez (Kim) went to the Africa Cup and were injured.
Coman and Gnabry were out for most of the season, Neuer was out for long stretches (easily Bayern's most important player).
At times Tuchel had basically not 4 fit defenders to choose from, as well as no midfielders. He was publicly screaming for a DM and CB signing which he did not get until, well, Eric Dier was loaned in winter. The attack too basically lined up itself, no squad depth whatsoever. They scrambled to prepone the signing of this tiny guy from Spain who couldn't make a dent.
It is not by conincidence Bayern had such a poor season, their squad was far too thin. They've been run rather horribly in terms of "structure", with the executives sacked and the new DoF and CEO only coming in July respectively March..Sounds familiar?
Still, they topped the group we went last in.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
That's why I think it wont be. Ineos will want a safer bet as their first Manager recruitment.
This is what I'd have thought too. I think they'll want some quicker more sure fire success to get the ball rolling. But as has been said, maybe other exits from our rivals has changed their thought process and made plans change.

AndyMUFC

I’m pretty sure we as a club haven’t done too badly with managers from the UK, pretty sure our two most successful managers ever and one being arguably the best ever just so happened to be from the UK.
If we're talking about modern football, there's still not a good track record of managers from this part of the world being elite. Almost every time a top club appoints one it turns into a bit of a disaster.

It doesn't have to mean anything obviously, but he does fit the profile of the type of manager that usually fails at top clubs in the Premier League. Obviously if we did choose him then he'd get the chance to be the exception and I'd back him, but it does feel very early.

Judas

Open to offers
McKenna in truth is the most exciting option, but that's probably partly because its more of an unknown and we don't really know what we'd get from in a big job at a big club. I think it's too early, but it would be shite to see him go to Chelsea and do well. Someones clearly going to gamble on him this summer though.

Kirk lazarus

It is kind of ironic that you would clamour about our unprecedented injury situation and our lack of structure to excuse Ten Hag but Tuchel gets no leeway.
[/QUOTE)

One is at United , the other was at Bayern in a one team league .

Varane around town

A few things on the McKenna on this news:

1- I think it's obvious we're sounding out managers and Ten Hag is gone if he doesn't win on Saturday.

2- Certainly a concern that McKenna has never managed at the top level. Yes, he's had back to back promotions... but so did Nigel Adkins. I will everything about McKenna points to him having more about him that Adkins.

3- If we sack Ten Hag then the way forward is to pick a manager and stick with it. I can't stand Arteta but Arsenal stuck by him when he had his shocking start and now it's paying off for them. McKenna has got institutional knowledge, he knows the players, he already knows who likes and who it doesn't. With the new structure, a clear out and a commitment to stick with him come what may. It could work out. After all, unless we win on Saturday we've no European football. Plenty of time for McKenna to bed in.

FortunaUtd

McKenna in truth is the most exciting option, but that's probably partly because its more of an unknown and we don't really know what we'd get from in a big job at a big club. I think it's too early, but it would be shite to see him go to Chelsea and do well. Someones clearly going to gamble on him this summer though.
Ideally, I would want to wait to get him in a season or two while Tuchel does his thing and the new board stabilizes and clears out the squad. I think right now we are not in a good situation for a rookie manager to be given trust and patience, and it would be good if he gained a season of top flight experience first and if our famous new structure gets time to take hold and have actual effects on the squad.

But yeah, if Chelsea hire him and he does well it would be very annoying, and I'd rather we take the risk ourselves instead.

Eddy_JukeZ

1- I think it's obvious we're sounding out managers and Ten Hag is gone if he doesn't win on Saturday.

2- Certainly a concern that McKenna has never managed at the top level. Yes, he's had back to back promotions... but so did Nigel Adkins. I will everything about McKenna points to him having more about him that Adkins.

3- If we sack Ten Hag then the way forward is to pick a manager and stick with it. I can't stand Arteta but Arsenal stuck by him when he had his shocking start and now it's paying off for them. McKenna has got institutional knowledge, he knows the players, he already knows who likes and who it doesn't. With the new structure, a clear out and a commitment to stick with him come what may. It could work out. After all, unless we win on Saturday we've no European football. Plenty of time for McKenna to bed in.
Ten Hag is gone irrespective of the result on Saturday.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

We have had quite a squad change since McKenna was last here. ETH has brought in 12 players himself.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It has been an awful season yes. No dressing that up. Last season was much better - most fans then thought Ten Hag was pretty great. Fans will always question the manager. Even SAF was under a lot of pressure in the early years. I really don't know about Ten Hag. He probably should go just based on accountability for this season and on clear and expensive recruitment mistakes, but I could easily seem him doing well elsewhere. The other side of my post is really about the other candidates. We really are going to need to find our next great manager to follow Busby and SAF. That has to be the way to look at it. I don't see much in the likes of Pochettino, Southgate etc. that suggest they have it. If we did that make that kind of change, it would just be another expensive false start I think. Have to find the right man.
Why? This idea that we need to be waiting for the next Busby or SAF needs to die. The managers job is purely to look at the shorter-term and get the most out of the team he has. And by short-term, it's a sliding scale of the current season being the most important, the following season being less important, the third season being less important again, and anything after that basically being irrelevant.

What we need is a manager who is going to be successful in the shorter-term. And in our current situation, success in the next two years doesn't even need to be trophies, it's just developing and helping build the team in a way that is conducive to then pushing on to compete for the big trophies in the few years after that. Developing the players (especially the younger ones), building patterns of play and a playstyle that allows us to impose ourselves on the opposition, etc. The manager that does that doesn't even necessarily need to be the one who then is still in charge in the next few years after that when we do want to compete, although obviously if he's done a good job then he's put himself in a strong position to be that one.

If we just sit around waiting for the perfect manager who can become our next great, we're going to be letting a lot of managers slip through our fingers who would be 'good' for us. And when that 'great' one becomes available, he'll turn around and join somebody else because they are in a better position for him to showcase his abilities. Our best shot at getting the next great manager is to put ourselves in as strong a position as we can in the meantime, and a big part of that is to get good managerial appointments.

You don't go out looking for the next Busby or SAF. You get the best you can for now, and if they end up being good enough to have sustained success then they can enter the conversation after a good long while. If not, you cut them loose when they have taken you as far as they can and go for the next manager.

Southgate? Of course not. But there's plenty of managers out there that are available where there's good reason to believe they'd do a better job than ETH, and that includes both for the short-term and setting us up for longer-term success. For instance, I actively do not want ETH continuing to 'develop' the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho in this individualistic, chaotic playstyle that he has insisted on this season. We wasted our last good group of youngsters largely because of poor management and coaching, and I don't want to see it happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.