Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiracleInMadrid

If we seriously want to consider that direction, that "maybe" before Tuchel becomes very much not "maybe" since neither Ancelotti nor Zidane are possible..
Indeed. I'm not highlighting the most likely candidates, but just trying to mention someone who would fit in that mould. The reason for the "maybe" is that I'm not fully convinced that Tuchel is someone who can unify a squad and get the required respect from our players.

Uncle Mainoo

McKenna reported by The Athletic now
Chelsea actually thought he was gettable :lol:

It’s fun how the story develops. This will be played out like a decision was made this week after Chelsea sacked Poch, when in reality both parties probably agreed this back in February/March with Dan Ashworth included.

padzilla

Hipster
I would gladly take McKenna right now especially if the alternative is Southgate.

It makes sense that Ineos would want their own man to be the head coach going forward and make a clean break from the past.

Werd.

McKenna is the right type of manager for a proper rebuild, if we serious about going down that path.

Overhaul FC

A yes man?

Hello Goldbridge.

We aren't being run by the Glazers anymore why would they want a yes man?

United much like Chelsea Arsenal etc are far too large to be run by any one "manager" that style of football club is on the way out for sporting academy style set ups with a head coach and team around him to make signings and run aspects of the team he shouldn't be involved with. His specialty should be boots on te grass football not boardroom or financial decisions.

He will have a say in the players he needs but the overall club will have a playing style and be aligned on a philosophy it won't come from one singular massiaha this ain't the fergie or wenger days.

Pep and Klopp have been proponents of that structure in their clubs they don't run the place they are coaches in a wider set up but have a heavy influence due to their proven track record and it just so happens their philosophy and coaching style match that of the club's visions.

We've only just got people in that realise that and in time we will likely have multiple coaches and we won't be shy in replacing the ones that aren't able to mat h the club vision.

I welcome it and the old school manager style and manager driving the structure of a club is long long long gone.

We are a sporting institute we're not a vehicle to massage managers philosophies and ideas.

Long may we evolve into the modern decade.
Sign Pep a player he doesn't want at City and see what happens....

We've seen him bin talent because they weren't his choices. The top managers have always had a say in players coming and going out.

redshaw

McKenna could be a good choice to start with a real plan and stick to it. Highly revered coach at youth level then has shone at Ipswich, he seems like hot property at the right age for a new era where we make the stars and entertain. I recall players were upset when he and Carrick left.

The good run when Ole joined was put down to new manager bounce but in a not widely seen interview Ole let slip it was McKenna and Carrick overseeing the team until March, he was hands off and then he started to implement his own system, that's when the long bad run started and his setup really only saved by getting in Bruno in Jan. The football we and Pogba and Martial enjoyed from Dec to March was McKenna/Carrick.

The pressure will be immense though, if there is good things happening behind the scenes we have to stick with it and let go of those not buying into what McKenna is doing. We saw with Potter at Chelsea, it can quickly unravel if players start to doubt.

Rolaholic

Current odds

Not a great list of options but I think I'd be on-board for Tuchel or McKenna the most.

Tuchel if we're thinking short-term for turning things around, McKenna if we're looking at a long term rebuild.

Poch doesn't move me anymore the way he did prior to his PSG stint

Kaos

So what's the latest (feasible) shortlist then?
  • Tuchel
  • Poch
  • McKenna
  • De Zerbi (Milan bound?)
  • Southgate :nervous:
  • Xavi?
Can't say its a particularly inspiring list

Though in order of preference I'd probably go:

1. De Zerbi
  2. Poch
  3. McKenna
  4. Tuchel
  5. Xavi

20. Tea Lady

50. Moyes

100. Southgate

NoPace

Feels like we'd flip that here based on our squad (Garnacho higher up than Amad makes sense, Dalot going forward depending on who the LB signing is), so:

Garnacho---------------------------------------------
----------------------------Hojlund--------------------
----------Bruno--------------------Amad---Dalot
----------------------------------Mainoo--------------
---------------------LCM--------------------------------
-------Shaw---------------------------------------------
---------------Lisandro--------RCB------------------
--------------------------Onana------------------------

chris123

Current odds

Not a great list of options but I think I'd be on-board for Tuchel or McKenna the most.

Tuchel if we're thinking short-term for turning things around, McKenna if we're looking at a long term rebuild.

Poch doesn't move me anymore the way he did prior to his PSG stint
Mckenna is now evens odds on most betting sites and the clear favourite.

SATA

Xavi? We don’t have the players and Lionel Messi to play his kind of football, so no

Poch would be great right after his stint at Spurs but now? Also no. It’s now obvious he isn’t a winner

Tuchel could go either way, as in he could implode or fall out with the players after three months. It’s like appointing a milder Jose Mourinho

Don’t know much about De Zerbi, Brighton seemed to be falling off after a bright start. McKenna it is then

Fooza

Imagine if it's McKenna , jeez the players didn't even play for the previous managers, as if they going to with this guy, even if he's done really well in previous clubs, they were not big clubs.

all managers available just meh, I don't feel confident at all

OsloRed

McKenna apparently. Who a host of the current dressing believe is only suited to academy football as a coach :lol:

Here's to hoping INEOS insist on a player clear out or next season will be infinitely worse than this.
There is not that many left from that dressing room. And we do not know who those players were in the first place. It will most likely be a non-issue if it goes through.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I just do not get why Frank is rated at such a high level and is being quoted for the United job. In theory we could see the managers of relegated Burnley, 16th placed Brentford and Championship runners-up Ipswich take over at Bayern Munch, Manchester United and Chelsea and at a time there are some seasoned, top rated managers available. It's all a bit surreal.

Last edited:

pascell

The only person I didn't want to get the job was Southgate and he's not on the shortlist reportedly, so that's a bonus.

The rest all have their pros and cons, I don't have a clear favourite. I just don't want a manager who will come in and bow down to the boards will of holding onto certain players and indulge them, as plenty need to be sold.

We have a terrible squad of players that now needs to be brought in line with the style of play we want to implement from the top down.

Red Royal

If Erik is going, hopefully with a cup l, and he probably should be sacked, then I would now go for McKenna.
We've tried the experienced and got nothing... take a punt with McKenna and if it fails sack him. We can't wait seasons and seasons we need instant dramatic improvements.

Andersons Dietician

. We can't wait seasons and seasons we need instant dramatic improvements.
This right here is why we will inevitably fail again. And most likely continue to fail.

The only saving grace is that hopefully there is going to be some sort of structure from high above so that we will at least bring in players over the next few years who hopefully will at least compliment one another and fit in to an idea of how we intend to play. Feel like however we will be a good few managers away from that yet.

redNATION

I just do not get why Frank is rated at such a high level and is being quoted for the United job. In theory we could see the managers of relegated Burnley, 16th placed Brentford and Championship runners-up Ipswich take over at Bayern Munch, Manchester United and Chelsea and at a time there are some seasoned, top rated managers available. It's all a bit surreal.
Issue is most top managers have been at other clubs and sometimes failed so are now available, clubs probably want to try something new than give a manager who has been around the block in Europe. Really only Pep, Ancelotti or Klopp you would go out of your way to hire, Zidane doesn’t seem interested, so might as well look at the next generation.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think it's gonna be McKenna. Someone who's young and could grow in the role. Also someone who'll be a little bit more malleable for the higher ups than say, a Tuchel.

Can't say I have any preferences and I'm not the best at predicting how a manager might do. I was sure Van Gaal would've gotten us winning titles but he only managed to sell the players I was fond of like Rafael, Nani and Hernandez whilst playing the most mind numbing football I've seen us play at the time.

Trequarista10

Am I wrong to be completely cynical about our options?

When we hired ETH I was confident we finally had a modern manager who could get us to compete. Now that failed, I just can't get excited about any of the options available. There's no obvious candidate who stands out. Poch and Tuchel have had some success at big clubs, but they've also been let go from those clubs. I think any inexperienced manager will likely crumble under the pressure here, unless we luck upon the next Jose/Pep, but the odds of that seem slim. De Zerbi excites me because it'd be entertaining at least, but we might well be too open.

Also not even convinced it really matters who the manager is until the infrastructure is fully in place and had a year or two to rearrange the squad. On top of that, it's pretty grim for the reports to be leaked before the cup final. Its just not the right way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.