Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Seems like it'll be McKenna which is crazy to me. He'll either do an Arteta but win stuff or be sacked within the year.

The latter is more likely than the former but I bloody hope we get a good manager for a change.

Cerberus

Ideally, I'd love to see McKenna appointed at Brighton and see what he accomplishes there while gambling on Tuchel in the short-term.

Hoof the ball

Is Xavi worth the consideration?

He won La Liga in his first season. Check.

He gave youth players more than their fair share of minutes.
Check.

He managed a team with arguably a worse administrative situation than the one we find ourselves in.
Check.

Didn't do well this season, but was one red card away from making semi-finals vs. Dortmund.

I still think he's going to be a top coach, and he's got more potential upside than Tuchel and Co, who are about as good as they're ever going to be.

Stig

Seems like it'll be McKenna which is crazy to me. He'll either do an Arteta but win stuff or be sacked within the year.

The latter is more likely than the former but I bloody hope we get a good manager for a change.
So, he could succeed or he could fail ?

colombianmancunian

Check.

He managed a team with arguably a worse administrative situation than the one we find ourselves in.
Check.

Didn't do well this season, but was one red card away from making semi-finals vs. Dortmund.

I still think he's going to be a top coach, and he's got more potential upside than Tuchel and Co, who are about as good as they're ever going to be.
He is basically the Spanish ten hag. Big ego, and won’t accept his failures instead blaming the grass, the sun, the referee (for real, his excuses are just ridiculous).

Also he is an extremist that thinks possession is more important than goals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Check.

Check.

Nah. It would freak me out to see Xavi interacting with Paul Tierney.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah it’s a valid consideration, especially if the vision is to go for the brightest young talents and let it develop gradually over just righting the ship through strictly getting results without as much emphasis on longer term progress.

Tuchel and McKenna have always been my 2 preferred choices after our options became clear over the past month. Each has its risks but I can see a future in which we are successful with either.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why not? We have the money, the history, and a new competent directive.

Or are you the type of fan that believes we are a pub team and not Manchester friggin United.
Zidane has never seemed to show any interest in coming to England, either as a player or a manager. He's also said in the past (responding directly to being linked to us before we signed ETH) that while he can understand English he's not fluent in it, and he wouldn't go to a club that he doesn't speak the language. He's also never shown any ability to build a team, and quite frankly he doesn't seem interested in doing that.

big_jeffstar

I’d love to see McKenna take over (one day) but I’d hate to see him manage Chelsea in the interim, It would be great if he chose Brighton and then United afterwards.
Get us Tuchel in the meantime to steady the ship for two or three years

USREDEVIL

Am I wrong to be completely cynical about our options?

When we hired ETH I was confident we finally had a modern manager who could get us to compete. Now that failed, I just can't get excited about any of the options available. There's no obvious candidate who stands out. Poch and Tuchel have had some success at big clubs, but they've also been let go from those clubs. I think any inexperienced manager will likely crumble under the pressure here, unless we luck upon the next Jose/Pep, but the odds of that seem slim. De Zerbi excites me because it'd be entertaining at least, but we might well be too open.

Also not even convinced it really matters who the manager is until the infrastructure is fully in place and had a year or two to rearrange the squad. On top of that, it's pretty grim for the reports to be leaked before the cup final. Its just not the right way of doing it.
Ugh. Yeah.
Poch - does well for a bit, lots of good feelies, nice to the players. Mixed results, rashford still out of form, no service to Hojlund, injuries to defense. Results start to go south bigly. Players blaming each other, then saying manager is not fit. Loses dressing room, sacked.

Tuchel, similar story but no good feelies, doesn't cater to Rashford, quicker to lose dresssing room.

McKenna? No idea how that might go.

Thats why i was ok with ETH for one year under the new structure. If results don't change bigly then sack early. It's not like there's anyone perfect for United right now. I'm not into change for change's sake and hope for the best, grass is always greener type mofo.

big_jeffstar

I just do not get why Frank is rated at such a high level and is being quoted for the United job. In theory we could see the managers of relegated Burnley, 16th placed Brentford and Championship runners-up Ipswich take over at Bayern Munch, Manchester United and Chelsea and at a time there are some seasoned, top rated managers available. It's all a bit surreal.
the problem is, these seasoned managers all seem to come with their own problems, everyone wants the next big thing

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
These snippets from speculative articles that everyone takes as fact from the horses mouth. Annoying as feck. Where they say “it is understood” is basically a journalist saying what he thinks is plausible, not Sir Jim’s gospel.

Von Mistelroum

It's weird but I kind of find myself wanting McKenna! I never thought I would but he did great with our academy and it feels like it would be a really great thing to see him come back and do well. I feel like he would work well within our structure too with the incoming staff etc.

lex talionis

Go all out to get Ancelotti imo.
Was talk he was gonna leave Real.
If there's even the slightest shred of truth in the possibility of bringing in Ancelloti, we'd have to go for it. But I doubt there's even a slight shred of truth in talk that he's leaving Real.

The problem is that the United is a colossus of a football club that almost no human being on earth is competent to manage. Out of the 7.8 billion human beings alive today, only about 5-10 at most could handle this particular job, let alone thrive in the job and return us to a PL title contender and I'm not even sure I'd go that far. We need a manager who can state down some of these players who refuse to train and perform at a top level within a team system and Ancelotti is one of the very human beings on earth who have that kind of authority to stare down the likes of Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Antony.

chris123

I really don't get the "let Tuchel steady the ship" view at all tbh. All of our recent Fergie managers have been given 2-3 years before eventually failing. We are basically conceding before it has even started that that will probably be the case with Tuchel as well. I'd rather us try something different with McKenna, and see if we can build a long-term project. It might go tits up, but we've tried every other approach.

BorisManUtd

Guess we'll know very soon (if he is to be replaced). Poch leaving Chelsea and them being interested in McKenna possibly made INEOS move quicker. You'd think it'll be one of those 2 rather than Tuchel.

Judas

Open to offers
Ugh, so they want a yes man and not someone with character.
"yes man" :lol: this sort of lingo is so typical of this place. Board wanting someone who isn't going to butt heads, shares the same vision, and will actually compliment the structure isn't ridiculous and doesn't make someone a yes man. Is Ancelotti a yes man to you?

DavelinaJolie

Am I wrong to be completely cynical about our options?
I doubt it's "wrong" to be cynical at this juncture. Personally, I find it hard to be "excited" about any of this now. Like you I was excited with Ten Hag coming in and thought it looked like Utd were finally ready to start making progressive decisions to work on building an actual football foundation at the club. Fast forward two years and we're now starting another climb out of the hole the series of decisions have dug for the club since then.

None of the options available inspire me greatly either at this point. So maybe it's just not worth getting invested in the options and get invested when a decision is made and you know who you're going to be rooting for? That's kind of where I am now.

Blood Mage

I’d love to see McKenna take over (one day) but I’d hate to see him manage Chelsea in the interim, It would be great if he chose Brighton and then United afterwards.
Get us Tuchel in the meantime to steady the ship for two or three years
100% agree for me it's the ideal scenario. Hire Tuchel now and enjoy a couple of years of stability while we monitor how McKenna does in his first couple of years in the PL.

WPMUFC

Coincidence is likely to just be that, a coincidence.

But let's play the hypothetical game. What was the biggest rumour this week? Chelsea moving for McKenna or more broadly, McKenna wanting a big job. In the space of a few days we've gone from speculation about ETH job being on a knife edge to "100% he's sacked" and "normal" publications like The Guardian running with definite story's about it.

I think if I was playing the "most likely" scenario, INEOS decided to take a punt on McKenna when it became known he was not 100% sticking with Ipswich even in the PL. The Chelsea stuff seemingly throwing even more panic into the decision making. I think, if I was to guess, it's going to be McKenna just based on what has happened this week. I think Tuchel may have been the "interim" favourite before this, but there's just something about the McKenna rumours and how this has played out. I could be dead wrong, but there's just a feeling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.