Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

432JuanMata

I feel like this is/was the plan, but Chelsea's Poch decision has muddied the waters.
I feel this is the case too. I would take Tuchel here but always felt he was a cup manager hence doing well in CL but not the best in the league.
I wonder if we leaked ETH sacking as Poch became available and we believe he is the right choice

Judas

Open to offers
I feel this is the case too. I would take Tuchel here but always felt he was a cup manager hence doing well in CL but not the best in the league.
I wonder if we leaked ETH sacking as Poch became available and we believe he is the right choice
It won't be Poch, I don't think. Maybe that's my own wishful thinking. It'll be Tuchel or McKenna.

gaffs

If INEOS don't interview Rubin Amorim they are dumb.

Two league titles in Portugal, his players run through brick walls for him and he has the personality and charisma not to be overwhelmed at United.

This guy is the real deal....
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/31...ootball-ruben-amorim-europes-next-supercoach/

There is a reason Liverpool were interested in him. The talk is the fee to get him out of Sporting was increased by the director or owner. Plus, Liverpool may not have been too fond of his 3-4-3 system. With United lack of top quality full backs, maybe 3 at the back may be the way to go? But then again, finding 3 good CBs at United is tough too!

Infra-red

100% agree for me it's the ideal scenario. Hire Tuchel now and enjoy a couple of years of stability while we monitor how McKenna does in his first couple of years in the PL.
If United hire Tuchel this summer, I think we'd be going into next season (minus Klopp) with probably the 2nd best coach in the Premier League. That doesn't mean we'd finish 2nd of course - our squad is miles off where it needs to be for that, but, given the situation we find ourselves in, it would not be a bad outcome. As you say, we can re-evaluate (hopefully, from a stronger position than 8th) in a couple of years' time.

432JuanMata

It won't be Poch, I don't think. Maybe that's my own wishful thinking. It'll be Tuchel or McKenna.
Well Poch is the bookies big favourite with Mckenna second. I like McKenna has done a great job but so did Carrick last year, lampard did great with Derby before. I feel it is too soon for him

Judas

Open to offers
Well Poch is the bookies big favourite with Mckenna second. I like McKenna has done a great job but so did Carrick last year, lampard did great with Derby before. I feel it is too soon for him
It most likely is too soon for him, I totally understand the sentiment. I think realistically the club would rather wait a couple of years longer for him, but feel like their hand has been forced by the Chelsea speculation.

432JuanMata

It most likely is too soon for him, I totally understand the sentiment. I think realistically the club would rather wait a couple of years longer for him, but feel like their hand has been forced by the Chelsea speculation.
Let Chelsea have him. Be a bad move for him anyway as Chelsea is the last place an up and coming manager should go too. McKenna now is such a risk based on experience and I feel very stupid as not only would it be a huge step up he has a hell of mess to fix.

Better off getting a top manager in and stable us then in future go for the likes of McKenna

Varane around town

I think it's going to be McKenna.

INEOS want to bring in a young manager who'll slot into their system.

Also, if we don't win tomorrow we'll be able to get through next system with a leaner squad and more time training, could suit a young manager whose being brought in to build.,

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think it's going to be McKenna.

INEOS want to bring in a young manager who'll slot into their system.

Also, if we don't win tomorrow we'll be able to get through next system with a leaner squad and more time training, could suit a young manager whose being brought in to build.,

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The fact that the club has leaked that ETH is going next week makes me tend to think it won't be Southgate? He can't come till after the Euros and they will have their replacement lined up.

INEOS are conservative at heart. The lowest risk candidates are Poch and Tuchel so it will be one of those two. Poch seems slightly the more likely to me.

caid

That feels silly to me. Even managers who do a good job at chelsea dont last more than 2 seasons. And were basically picking between ex chelsea managers and de zerbi who's liable to end up at chelsea if we get mckenna. Let Chelsea take the risk and we can pick him up after he's had a practice run at dealing with a circus.
Its a nice idea but we take far too many of these gambles based on romantacism and hope.

WPMUFC

I think we've decided on McKenna and the recent Tuchel news is his side trying to drum up other clubs to pounce on him.

Not long now. I'll assume the story will be breaking literally on the final whistle like LVG. So it will be over soon.

sepulturite

Why not? We have the money, the history, and a new competent directive.

Or are you the type of fan that believes we are a pub team and not Manchester friggin United.
It's been stated several times over the past year, maybe more, from reliable sources that Zidane doesn't want to manage in the premier league, that's why. And what United fan thinks we're a pub team? Stop talking out of your arse.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's the other way around now I believe

Cantonaaa!

Think it’ll be Poch this time. Solid candidate and as safe a bet for the future as possible for Ineos, when you consider the other available ones, McKenna and Tuchel.
Tuchel has already had a few jobs with various behaviour towards the clubs and not looking good long term. McKenna is perhaps too young and won’t instantly demand respect from senior players, especially after he already had to leave once with OGS. Will have to manage further down than Championship next time if he fails with United now, so big descison for him as well..
Poch is the perfect blend, with Tuchel second as he perhaps would get better results short term than Poch. McKenna is one for the future I hope.

Judas

Open to offers
It's just impossible for me to be excited, positive or warm towards the idea of hiring Poch. It's the same level as Southgate for me, not saying they're the same in terms of ability, but in terms of how I feel about them, they're both a huge no thanks.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Two league titles in Portugal, his players run through brick walls for him and he has the personality and charisma not to be overwhelmed at United.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/31...ootball-ruben-amorim-europes-next-supercoach/

There is a reason Liverpool were interested in him. The talk is the fee to get him out of Sporting was increased by the director or owner. Plus, Liverpool may not have been too fond of his 3-4-3 system. With United lack of top quality full backs, maybe 3 at the back may be the way to go? But then again, finding 3 good CBs at United is tough too!
There were rumours that one of the reasons the Liverpool and West Ham deals fell through were because he wanted control of transfers. If true, that doesn't fit us.

Of course, it may not have been true.

philippexyz

I have a feeling it will be Poch, and I find it pretty uninspiring. Would prefer either Tuchel or McKenna.

GoldanoGraham

I would be staggered if we went for McKenna…..

He is completely unproven at a higher level and does not have the experience to deal with top international players.

He needs to stay at Ipswich and continue his impressive education and look for the correct stepping stone at the right time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I would be staggered if we went for McKenna…..

He is completely unproven at a higher level and does not have the experience to deal with top international players.

He needs to stay at Ipswich and continue his impressive education and look for the correct stepping stone at the right time.
Leaving Ipswich probably is the correct stepping stone at the moment. Player for player, they are likely the worst team to have promoted to the PL for a long time considering most of them were in League One. It'd be extremely difficult to keep them in the league, and to do so they'd probably have to change their playstyle significantly to a way that wouldn't be attractive to big clubs anyway.

The question is whether he should go straight to a top club (us or Chelsea) or look for a more midtable club (Brighton).

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

I really want Motta because i have heard he is actually a new generation counter attacking manager.

I dont believe we need to be an amazing new possesion based team to win a league again.

I'm not that interested in building this new generation of United players under the same possesion based philosophy as Pep's Manchester City just to be succesful like that is the only way to be successful ever again.

I'd love to see a new generation of a hard to beat counter attacking team that can actually be just as succesful and yet intimidating like Jose Mourinho's teams were in the 2000's.

Motta has learnt from Mourinho so maybe he has a bit of a attraction to United but i doubt he would move to the PL than moving higher up in the Serie A first.

Shame really, because i think he would suit our current players the best whilst adding new players on top like a cherry on top of a well built cake.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Poch, McKenna and Tuchel are the 3 that will be waiting for a call from us. All 3 of them will be desperate to manage us. Don’t think either of them go anywhere els yet until they find out what’s happening with us.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐

Finding 3 fit ones would be a start.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I really want Motta because i have heard he is actually a new generation counter attacking manager.

I dont believe we need to be an amazing new possesion based team to win a league again.

I'm not that interested in building this new generation of United players under the same possesion based philosophy as Pep's Manchester City just to be succesful like that is the only way to be successful ever again.

I'd love to see a new generation of a hard to beat counter attacking team that can actually be just as succesful and yet intimidating like Jose Mourinho's teams were in the 2000's.

Motta has learnt from Mourinho so maybe he has a bit of a attraction to United but i doubt he would move to the PL than moving higher up in the Serie A first.

Shame really, because i think he would suit our current players the best whilst adding new players on top like a cherry on top of a well built cake.
Motta is indeed very good and my top choice alongside McKenna. He left me impressed the handful of times I saw his Bologna team.

I wouldn't call his style of play counter-attacking, though. It's possession heavy where they are very aggressive in winning the ball back when they lose it.

AndySmith1990

I'd rather take McKenna over Tuchel TBH. I'm numb though, all options seem like crap anyway because the fundamental issues are still there.
What fundamental issues?

Woodward is gone
Murtough is gone
Arnold is gone
Glazers aren't involved in football operations

So...?

Pronewbie

Peep
What fundamental issues?

Woodward is gone
Murtough is gone
Arnold is gone
Glazers aren't involved in football operations

So...?
Names may have changed but football operations under INEOS don't seem too different so far. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. To me, signing Tuchel is a giant red flag that it's just going to be more of the same.

saivet

The fact that the club has leaked that ETH is going next week makes me tend to think it won't be Southgate? He can't come till after the Euros and they will have their replacement lined up.

INEOS are conservative at heart. The lowest risk candidates are Poch and Tuchel so it will be one of those two. Poch seems slightly the more likely to me.
That's why I've also believed there has been no credibility in the Southgate rumours. In the last international break he said he won't speak to any club and would sort out his future after the Euros. Even if we wanted him, there's no way United would wait that long. Given the public comments (even without them) it would cause drama and result in added pressure if Southgate agreed to join United a few weeks before the Euros.

Schmeichels pinky

I just do not get why Frank is rated at such a high level and is being quoted for the United job. In theory we could see the managers of relegated Burnley, 16th placed Brentford and Championship runners-up Ipswich take over at Bayern Munch, Manchester United and Chelsea and at a time there are some seasoned, top rated managers available. It's all a bit surreal.
I think Franks achievements are vastly underrated in here, especially compared to McKenna. He took Brentford to the playoff final two years in a row while playing very entertaining attacking football. He got them promoted and finished 13th, then 9th and now 16th with their entire back line and many other starters injured for a lot of the season - and Toney was banned for the first half of the season. Frank is very versatile, but all his formations have very clear patterns of play and he gets the best out of every player. His record against the big clubs are impressive too. We could do a lot worse.

lon ball2

Tuchel - achieved the most and very keen to work as a head coach. Flexible tactician who would build a proper defence, but potentially at the cost of some dour football. The appointment that makes the most sense, but there is the slightest whiff of a Woodward reactionary hiring about it.

Poch - forever our nearly man. Has done a good job at Chelsea and got them firing since Christmas - 3rd in the league since then. I’d take him because it’s an upgrade on ETH and plays attractive football, however I don’t think he’s the man to elevate us to title challengers in the long term. Hard to put a finger on it but he seems to lack that killer instinct.

McKenna - done a crazy-outstanding job at Ipswich but for me it’s too soon. He needs to cement his credentials with a season (or two) in the premiership.

Potter - would take him over ETH assuming it would be a bridging appointment to lay some tactical foundations for a more inspiring manager to come in and build upon, such as McKenna having proved himself. But I guess you could argue why not just gamble on McKenna in the first place, and I worry where the goals would come from

Frank - no thanks

De Zerbi - the most exciting appointment for me, probably for purely selfish reasons that I just want to see beautiful football again. Red flag is he doesn’t appear to have a plan B, but out of this list, he seems the most natural fit as a successor to Pep. Shame there aren’t any concrete links

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I think Franks achievements are vastly underrated in here, especially compared to McKenna. He took Brentford to the playoff final two years in a row while playing very entertaining attacking football. He got them promoted and finished 13th, then 9th and now 16th with their entire back line and many other starters injured for a lot of the season - and Toney was banned for the first half of the season. Frank is very versatile, but all his formations have very clear patterns of play and he gets the best out of every player. His record against the big clubs are impressive too. We could do a lot worse.
Looks more like he's at his level to me. Have never even seen his name mentioned when one of the mid table jobs came up over the last couple of years.

Superb tweet about this sudden emergence of Frank into the running for the top jobs from one of Erik's agents, Carl Thomas, this morning...
'I would like to shake Thomas Franks PR guy by the hand. Sensational work'

I find it hard to disagree. It also inadvertently confirms what most fans know, that you can take a lot of what's in the media with a pinch of sale.

Schmeichels pinky

Looks more like he's at his level to me. Have never even seen his name mentioned when one of the mid table jobs came up over the last couple of years.

Superb tweet about this sudden emergence of Frank into the running for the top jobs from one of Erik's agents, Carl Thomas, this morning...
'I would like to shake Thomas Franks PR guy by the hand. Sensational work'

I find it hard to disagree. It also inadvertently confirms what most fans know, that you can take a lot of what's in the media with a pinch of sale.
I think your post is a very good example of how he’s underrated. He’s not managed a big club, he’s not entirely new to the scene and he’s not very flashy. You do not provide any arguments against him though, just like the former poster writing “Frank: no thanks”.

The most likely explanation as to why he hasn’t been rumored to mid table jobs is that he’s already at one where he thrives. Why would he swap Brentford where he’s already a legend for, say, Brighton or Crystal Palace?
He seems like a very grounded guy as well, and I don’t think he has a PR manager at all - him being linked with us is very logical given his excellent work at a club with a model that Ineos likes.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I think your post is a very good example of how he’s underrated. He’s not managed a big club, he’s not entirely new to the scene and he’s not very flashy. You do not provide any arguments against him though, just like the former poster writing “Frank: no thanks”.

The most likely explanation as to why he hasn’t been rumored to mid table jobs is that he’s already at one where he thrives. Why would he swap Brentford where he’s already a legend for, say, Brighton or Crystal Palace?
He seems like a very grounded guy as well, and I don’t think he has a PR manager at all - him being linked with us is very logical given his excellent work at a club with a model that Ineos likes.
It's an exchange of views on an internet forum, not a football Question Time. I tend to watch football and form an opinion, not store up evidence for the defence to explain it in case someone online has a different opinion. You think he's top level, I don't. Enough said. On to the next topic.

By the way, I think Carl Thomas wants to shake your hand. ;)

OsloRed

Names may have changed but football operations under INEOS don't seem too different so far. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. To me, signing Tuchel is a giant red flag that it's just going to be more of the same.
What could have changed so far that they haven't done? Changed the structure, gotten rid of people and hired new ones. The results of that doesn't show immediately, it will after a few transfer windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.