Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, we'll need a lot of playing squad turnover if we want to play his style of football and succeed.
I’m not so sure we would!

He finished 6th with this team:

Steele
Veltman Webster Dunk Estupiñán
Caicedo Mac Allister
March Welbeck Mitoma
Ferguson

With maybe one or two replacements in the spine, I think he can get us playing his way with what we have available quite quickly.

Onana > Steele
Dalot > Veltman
? < Webster
Licha > Dunk
Shaw > Estupinan
? < Caicedo
Mainoo >= Mac Allister
Garnacho > March
Bruno > Welbeck
Rashford <= Mitoma
Hojlund = Ferguson

doubleohseven

Yup, very much.

Another thing is the Berrada connection...Will you be happy if it is indeed him (RdZ)?
Seriously underwhelmed, and quite concerned Berrada would recommend managers who have never won a major honour, and whose clout is a failed Europa League campaign with a billionaire-owned Premier League club.

If EtH is to be clipped we desperately need a manager who can hit the ground running and maintain winning trophies.

'Don't be impatient and give him time' doesn't work if the predecessor could do the above, essentially sacked so the new executive class could tailor the football to their 'own people'.

He finished 6th with this team:
With the greatest respect to BHA, RdZ backed up this finish finishing lower than EtH (again) and no major honours to his name.

I'm seriously unconvinced by the suggestion of RdZ at United, and disconcerted by the rationale used to appoint him.

If so, best of luck and such, but we cannot allow another executive class to fail upwards.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
And I thought Kompany failing upwards was the most ridiculous move of the summer. This clown getting our job after managing to take a young supremely talented Brighton team backwards might even top it.
Kompany relegated with one of the worst seasons in the top flight and getting one of the holy grail jobs in football is equivalent to De Zerbi struggling with an injury ravaged team and still finishing at or thereabout where a team like Brighton should be finishing? K...

PeteManic

And now the chat about De Zerbi in the Jamie Jackson fanzine, I mean the Guardian football page.

Give me a break. Is Jim actually an eejit?

Crimson King

I guess we are just conducting a thorough interview process which is good.
Yeah, I didn't understand all the hullabaloo before the final to be honest. Felt like they had to sound out who was available before making a decision.

We all knew that EtH was basically interviewing for his job under INEOS.

Yakuza_devils

Let's trust the new football structure with Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox. I believe they know what they are doing. It's not Ed, Arnold and Murtough anymore.

I think De Zebri is a good coach.

With the greatest respect to BHA, RdZ backed up this finish finishing lower than EtH (again) and no major honours to his name.
Do you expect Brighton to win major honours? Brighton?

I wouldn’t call it a failed Europa League campaign, winning a group containing Ajax and Marseille, then coming up short vs an experienced Roma team

Malone_Post

I could get behind any of Tuchel, De Zerbri or McKenna, all for very different reasons. But I can see the logic in all of them.

But if it’s Poch or Frank I’ll lose any faith in the INEOS project.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I could get behind any of Tuchel, De Zerbri or McKenna, all for very different reasons. But I can see the logic in all of them.

But if it’s Poch or Frank I’ll lose any faith in the INEOS project.
Frank I understand but poch may not be as bad as people think. Played good football with Chelsea and turned them around in the last half of season. I don’t want Tuchel, Frank or McKenna. McKenna purely because he’s inexperienced and basically a league 1 manager.

Yakuza_devils

I have no problem if its De Zebri. At the very least we know we will be playing attacking football. We will have a style of play and dominate possession even against big team in PL.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Frank I understand but poch may not be as bad as people think. Played good football with Chelsea and turned them around in the last half of season. I don’t want Tuchel, Frank or McKenna. McKenna purely because he’s inexperienced and basically a league 1 manager.
He was clearly well above League 1 level, and Championship too, if you consider that he kept his core league one team (from what I read) and took them all the way to the PL. Didn't he get the LMA Manager of the year too? That's obviously something about him. As bad as Chelsea are, themselves and Brighton do often find good managers, and they've been clamouring for him. The question is how good is he? But it's possibly an opportunity we don't want to miss out on if there's so much buzz about him. I'm sure Ineos and their guys are hearing great things about him.

DJ_21

I have no problem if its De Zebri. At the very least we know we will be playing attacking football. We will have a style of play and dominate possession even against big team in PL.
That’s exactly what we thought we’d be getting with ETH. It all depends if he can implement it here.

DJ_21

He was clearly well above League 1 level, and Championship too, if you consider that he kept his core league one team (from what I read) and took them all the way to the PL. Didn't he get the LMA Manager of the year too? That's obviously something about him. As bad as Chelsea are, themselves and Brighton do often find good managers, and they've been clamouring for him. The question is how good is he? But it's possibly an opportunity we don't want to miss out on if there's so much buzz about him. I'm sure Ineos and their guys are hearing great things about him.
Ye maybe. There’s no denying that what he’s achieved the last couple of years is superb. But jumping from Ipswich to one of the biggest in the world is a big ask. I agree Brighton find good managers, not so sure on Chelsea since they change managers more than anyone els in the league. I want to see him do well in the premier league with either Ipswich or Brighton before we consider him, we can’t afford to get our next appointment wrong.

JB7

Backwards? Supremely talented? Even without mentioning his sensational 22/23 season, in 23/24 Brighton finished with an xGpts of 8th while dealing with similar injuries to us. And losing 150m worth of midfield talent without replacing them in Caicedo and Macallister. Their squad this season is very poor.

He also improved and raised the technical level of players like Veltman, Gilmour, Dunk, March and Welbeck in his time at Brighton. While heavily relying on youth like Buonanotte and Hinshelwood.

Brighton kept up their style of football, averaging the 4th highest possession, only behind City, Spurs and Liverpool. 10th in xG created, 8th in xGA. All higher underlying stats than Ten Hag’s Utd. Also has gotten the better of Ten Hag in every match up statistically including dominating Utd at Old Trafford with his B team earlier this season, winning 1-3 comfortably.

Since joining, he’s beaten every top 6 team bar City. And last season, beating Arsenal 0-3 at the Emirates. Arsenal fans will tell you that’s the best away performance they’ve seen from a team at their ground in a very long time.
Yeah backwards. Last full season under Potter they finished 8th, 51 points, -3 GD, this season they finished 10th, 48 points, -7 GD. Each of those are the literal definition of backwards. Even last season, which you have called "sensational", he took over a team in 4th and finished 6th - I'm in no way suggesting they would have finished 4th under Potter but given how well they had started the season, there's no evidence to suggest they couldn't have finished 6th had he stayed either. I've got no dislike for Brighton, I've been at every game we've played against them since he took over and they're good to watch but that's about it. As for saying he's got the better of United every time we've played, well that's just ridiculous unless the sun on Saturday really messed with my head and Brighton actually were in the Cup Final last year and we lost there on the final day this year? Am I supposed to be impressed by them having the fourth most possession but apparently creating the tenth most xG in the league? The xG and xGA you've given me, which I'm presuming is expected goals against, shows that finishing 10th was a pretty fair reflection of their season, which would confirm they've gone backwards this season as if the earlier stats given didn't already show that. His time at Brighton is genuinely one of the most overrated managerial performances of the past decade or so.

aeh1991

With McKenna likely to stay at Ipswich, I would give Ten Hag another season.

Yeah backwards. Last full season under Potter they finished 8th, 51 points, -3 GD, this season they finished 10th, 48 points, -7 GD. Each of those are the literal definition of backwards. Even last season, which you have called "sensational", he took over a team in 4th and finished 6th - I'm in no way suggesting they would have finished 4th under Potter but given how well they had started the season, there's no evidence to suggest they couldn't have finished 6th had he stayed either. I've got no dislike for Brighton, I've been at every game we've played against them since he took over and they're good to watch but that's about it. As for saying he's got the better of United every time we've played, well that's just ridiculous unless the sun on Saturday really messed with my head and Brighton actually were in the Cup Final last year and we lost there on the final day this year? Am I supposed to be impressed by them having the fourth most possession but apparently creating the tenth most xG in the league? The xG and xGA you've given me, which I'm presuming is expected goals against, shows that finishing 10th was a pretty fair reflection of their season, which would confirm they've gone backwards this season as if the earlier stats given didn't already show that. His time at Brighton is genuinely one of the most overrated managerial performances of the past decade or so.
Got the better of Ten Hags Utd statistically I said. I was also at Wembley and they should’ve won that semi final last year. They outplayed us, and they also outplayed us 2 weeks ago until a defensive mix up got Dalot through. The commentators concurred and said Brighton should’ve been 3-0 up.

The xG stats from 23/24 with the amount of injuries they’ve had shows that he’s kept them competitive with a youthful squad that has been decimated by exits and fitness.

I disagree with overrated, he’s been praised and rightly so for curating a style of play that even Pep took influences from. Their performances at Anfield (x2), Etihad and Emirates in 22/23 is something that not many other managers can achieve.

JB7

Got the better of Ten Hags Utd statistically I said. I was also at Wembley and they should’ve won that semi final last year. They outplayed us, and they also outplayed us 2 weeks ago until a defensive mix up got Dalot through. The commentators concurred and said Brighton should’ve been 3-0 up.

The xG stats from 23/24 with the amount of injuries they’ve had shows that he’s kept them competitive with a youthful squad that has been decimated by exits and fitness.

I disagree with overrated, he’s been praised and rightly so for curating a style of play that even Pep took influences from. Their performances at Anfield (x2), Etihad and Emirates in 22/23 is something that not many other managers can achieve.
I mean it's just not true that they outplayed us at Wembley. They had more of the ball, we had more of the chances. You'd expect them to have had more of the ball, they were fresh and we'd put in our worst performance of the season 3 days earlier and didn't have the defence we had relied on for the majority of that season. Even the game at Brighton last week, they had plenty of the ball and Pedro probably should have scored in the first half but equally so should McTominay. They're a pretty team to watch but that's about it.

Regarding these great performances at Anfield and the Etihad that other managers just can't achieve, I just want to pinpoint the specifics a bit. Which of the two defeats from two at the Etihad was the standout? Of the two performances at Anfield, I'm presuming you're on about the one they didn't lose? Which was the game they gave up a 2-0 lead in before equalising late on. IIRC that was his first match after taking over so it's highly likely there were influences from the previous manager there then anyway. Fair play though they did win at Arsenal last year while Arsenal's season was falling apart having bottled their games against City though, how did they get on there this year?

Schmeichels pinky

To get promoted playing dominant possession based attacking football and keeping Brentford in PL for three seasons seem two be a very underrated achievement. Thomas Frank has worked wonders with a very limited budget and loads of injuries this year. He’s a flexible, intelligent and motivational coach who knows how he wants his teams to play.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The longer this drags on the more inclined I am to think they will keep ETH on. Surely they’ve made their minds up before hand to let him go, if so need to be ruthless and emotionless about it and pull the plug. Surely they’ve seen enough this season to make their minds up either way and need to follow through or come out and say he’s staying.

Fair play to ETH he could just leave as he knows they don’t have faith in him or they would have came out and backed him publicly. Maybe that’s the plan, let him leave and then don’t have to pay him off.

Robindinho

Think De Zerbi's the one... Fits the bill of front foot possession based football. Well coached.

Didn't Berrada have him earmarked as the Pep replacement at City too?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Think De Zerbi's the one... Fits the bill of front foot possession based football. Well coached.

Didn't Berrada have him earmarked as the Pep replacement at City too?
There were some rumours and Pep gave him glowing praises.

Schmeichels pinky

!Newsflash!

Steve Bruce and Vinnie Jones both approached by Manchester United and Netflix. Offered to replace Ten Hag and roles in a new series “Football Brutes”

Stig

How about Sarina Wiegman ?

International playing and coaching experience, both with success.

72% win percentage as a coach with both Netherlands and England.

Rolaholic

How about Sarina Wiegman ?

International playing and coaching experience, both with success.

72% win percentage as a coach with both Netherlands and England.
Should be Southgate's successor for England, she's proven she can actually win silverware at that level

Status
Not open for further replies.