Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichels pinky

It's an exchange of views on an internet forum, not a football Question Time. I tend to watch football and form an opinion, not store up evidence for the defence to explain it in case someone online has a different opinion. You think he's top level, I don't. Enough said. On to the next topic.

By the way, I think Carl Thomas wants to shake your hand. ;)
Oh, then I totally misunderstood - I thought people were here to learn from discussion, not just post uninformed claims. Silly me

RoyH1

"yes man" :lol: this sort of lingo is so typical of this place. Board wanting someone who isn't going to butt heads, shares the same vision, and will actually compliment the structure isn't ridiculous and doesn't make someone a yes man. Is Ancelotti a yes man to you?
I believe in critical thinking and that the very best organisations work with a board/presidency that listens to it's employees and their manager and can deal with resistance. Ancelotti is irrelevant to the discussion because Real Madrid is the exception to every rule in the book.

buchansleftleg

I think we are going to end up With McKenna as he is the cheapest option in terms of wages ,but also will help the club save money. Get used to the INEOS way of doing things!

A "focus on youth" is a much cheaper option and I can't see Tuchel or Poch not wanting to spend big on players.

Brailsford will want to bring in his own idea of a "fitness regime" and a lesser name will draw less scrutiny / commentary on how this is implemented. I think ETH's comments about fitness and injuries have drawn too much attention on this aspect of the club and have probably been more of a contributing factor on him getting kicked than results / tactical considerations.

I can also see that one of the questions candidates will have been asked is their opinion on the Sancho situation. Given the club are already losing out on one forward player's full transfer value because of matters outside of football (Greenwood) and another player's value has plummeted this season (Rashford), I believe the club can't / won't take ANOTHER massive loss on Sancho while further streamlining the club.

IF the club move on a lot of senior players without having to subsidise their wages too much, then it could work. However I suspect we will have a number of players we can't get rid of, who will have an axe to grind and will immediately start briefing against the manager for being "out of his depth"

People may soon look back on the ETH era as a brief period of relative calm compared to what I suspect we are about to go through.

Hoof the ball

What's everyone's thoughts on Xavi?

Omar Berrada and Jason Wilcox were both key elements in a team that was built around Pep's philosophy. Xavi is an exponent of the same ideal.

Would that philosophical familiarity make Xavi and Berrada a good partnership?

JB7

And I thought Kompany failing upwards was the most ridiculous move of the summer. This clown getting our job after managing to take a young supremely talented Brighton team backwards might even top it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
"De Zerbi’s attractive possession-based style of play and the 44-year-old’s feat of qualifying Brighton for European football last season for the first time in the club’s history has impressed Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who controls football operations at United having purchased a 27.7% stake in the club last year.

It is understood that De Zerbi has been contacted by United with regard to succeeding Ten Hag who, as reported by the Guardian, is likely to be sacked. The Italian left Brighton by mutual consent at the end of the recent season.

Thomas Tuchel, Keiran McKenna, Mauricio Pochettino and Thomas Frank are also on the shortlist to replace Ten Hag.

Tuchel was previously the favourite to replace Ten Hag but Ratcliffe is an admirer of all the candidates and is keeping an open mind. The Ineos billionaire is also this week leading a season review after which Ten Hag will learn for sure if he is to be removed from his post."

Remember the geese

It's an odd situation. Usually when a manager is on the brink of being sacked, fans are generally pretty unanimous in wanting that very outcome. I'm not sensing that here. Also, there is usually only one or two serious, realistic, candidates. In this situation there seems to be 5 or 6.

And I thought Kompany failing upwards was the most ridiculous move of the summer. This clown getting our job after managing to take a young supremely talented Brighton team backwards might even top it.
Backwards? Supremely talented? Even without mentioning his sensational 22/23 season, in 23/24 Brighton finished with an xGpts of 8th while dealing with similar injuries to us. And losing 150m worth of midfield talent without replacing them in Caicedo and Macallister. Their squad this season is very poor.

He also improved and raised the technical level of players like Veltman, Gilmour, Dunk, March and Welbeck in his time at Brighton. While heavily relying on youth like Buonanotte and Hinshelwood.

Brighton kept up their style of football, averaging the 4th highest possession, only behind City, Spurs and Liverpool. 10th in xG created, 8th in xGA. All higher underlying stats than Ten Hag’s Utd. Also has gotten the better of Ten Hag in every match up statistically including dominating Utd at Old Trafford with his B team earlier this season, winning 1-3 comfortably.

Since joining, he’s beaten every top 6 team bar City. And last season, beating Arsenal 0-3 at the Emirates. Arsenal fans will tell you that’s the best away performance they’ve seen from a team at their ground in a very long time.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This one says McKenna pulled out of the race rather than Chelsea

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I always think De Zebri will be the one because of the "maximum confidentiality" statement.
I have felt the same since the reports came out of a club having paid Gbp 4.3m compensation for him. If that was true, there is a good chance it's us as I don't see an Italian club, Juve or Milan, paying compensation to get a manager. The other possibility is Chelsea, but they would have announced it already if they were the ones who paid Brighton.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I have felt the same since the reports came out of a club having paid Gbp 4.3m compensation for him. If that was true, there is a good chance it's us as I don't see an Italian club, Juve or Milan, paying compensation to get a manager. The other possibility is Chelsea, but they would have announced it already if they were the ones who paid Brighton.
I'm thinking the same. The confidentiality thing would be important to us with the FA Cup final and the "review". I also think some of these other teams would definitely be looking at him if he hadn't agreed to go elsewhere. It sort of only leaves us as a possibility that I can see?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I'm thinking the same. The confidentiality thing would be important to us with the FA Cup final and the "review". I also think some of these other teams would definitely be looking at him if he hadn't agreed to go elsewhere. It sort of only leaves us as a possibility that I can see?
Yup, very much.

Another thing is the Berrada connection. If City were looking at him as future Pep replacement, then surely he was involved in that assessment and has a full dossier on De Zerbi. May be he pushed signing him as our manager?

Will you be happy if it is indeed him?

I have to say I'd be slightly underwhelmed. His style though good is a little naive defensively. You need a bit of pragmatism as a manager to win things, unless you are one of the best of all time like Pep. Also, we'll need a lot of playing squad turnover if we want to play his style of football and succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.