Who replaces Ten Hag?

Kellyiom

I think it just affects any compensation due following termination of contract, rather than being an automatic termination...
I hate myself for writing this so I should probably give my head a wobble but it feels like it's becoming inevitable. For numerous reasons, things are just going against him and it's a real shame, I want him to stay and think we should push through it. Treat this period like a military 'Hell Week' selection course. The players who come through on the other side are the ones we keep; the players who baulked at the challenge or whose character and mental qualities were insufficient, we discard, no exceptions, gaps in the team will be filled by reserves etc.
The darkest period is just before dawn. But, I doubt we'll get a revolution just another repeat. You'd think it would be sinking in by now that something fundamental has to change.

mu4c_20le

This post feels pretty contradictory, and I don’t agree about him being out of his depth. The way he dealt with Ronaldo, the way he’s dealing with Sancho etc show for me he’s bossing it.
As a authoritarian sure. But in the Premier League? Can't see what he's trying to do. I am usually about giving the manager more time, but I'm just not seeing the reason for optimism.

We're seeing more of his players today, Mount is playing in the role as intended. Just not seeing how it's gonna suddenly click.

ElDiabloRojo

We have taken one of the hottest properties in management and made him look bang average in just over a year, like we seem to with virtually every player we buy, no other top club seems to have this issue on anyhting like the scale we do.

Ten Hag is clearly not the problem here.
He has been landed with Ronaldo, Sancho and the Antony grief. And the injuries which are terrible.

But he picked Rashford today who is totally out of form, he picked a midfield of Cas, Mount and Bruno that clearly doesn't work, he is so stubborn he will continue to pick the same.

I hope it improves and he manages to stay in position until the club sale is concluded and all other sideshows are dealt with.

But it isn't looking good right now, it's clueless.

hobbers

Writing is on the wall with Erik but Murtough and Arnold have to be replaced first.

New owners need to sack Arnold and hire someone who isn't just some no mark pal of Woodward. Then the new CEO needs to sack Murtough and hire a DoF who isn't just some stooge. Then the DoF decides on the next manager.

Of course this wont happen and we'll end up with Murtough/Arnold ruining more transfer windows and hiring more doomed managers.

RVN1991

bielsa as interim to salvage something of this season and figure out the plan for next season with a competent DOF
Wasn't that the plan when we hired Ralf? We know who needs replacing and it's not the manager.

Hal9000

Was the 1st name that came to me too.
I’ve heard a few good things about him. Still, it’s not just him that’ll fix the place, it’s all the people above him that need to change.
Think the egos in the dressing room will respect him if they don't respect Ten Hag?

United Hobbit

A proper DOF with proven experience must be put in place regardless of who the manager is, including in the event we keep ETH, otherwise the whole shit show will be rinsed and repeated.

I wouldn't sack ETH yet as we are severely compromised by injuries but I'm seriously starting to question him however I cannot see any manager succeeding in this current set up, even Pep

Yanited__

For the record, I don't want him gone and I don't think he will get sacked, even if we don't make top 4, unless this trajectory of losses continues.

If it did happen, I would want Ruben Amorim from Sporting Lisbon. He led Sporting to their first title win since 2001 and broke the Benfica/Porto dominance that has been present for 20 years.

hungryhippo

Not a United fan, but what you need is someone who has 1) a very clear and positive/modern vision for how the team is going to play i.e., not just guessing or hoping that he has that vision, but knowing that he does and 2) is keen on using young or semi-untested players with technical acumen.

Simultaneously, you need to overhaul the scouting and transfer team to build a team for the future.

Then use time. Get rid of half the squad. Play kids, talents, up-and-coming players, enjoy the positive football in the beginning and see results in a few years.

Ancelotti or someone established like that is useless, won't have the ingredients to win anything, won't building anything for the future.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Ive literally given up at this stage. At this rate cloning Ferguson would probably the best bet - bring him back in his prime.

The Hilton

De Zerbi together with some key people at Brighton, coaches, scouts, DOF, etc. Will not happen though and would still take years.

Unbelievable that we let Ole set us back and now ETH has spent 400m randomly. What a joke of a club. Clueless on all levels.
Interesting here that you seem to accept that De Zerbi by himself wouldn't work, it's the Brighton setup around him that we should be looking to steal.

There's a lot of truth there, we have a a pretty antiquated setup, Woodward's galactico policy was quite damaging, and even though it sounds like our new management on the football side are trying to put a more long-term, data-driven approach in place, we're still reliant on the manager for recruitment suggestions, for the time being at least.

De Zerbi though has a greatest achievement which is "played nice stuff with Brighton", there's nothing at all that suggests he'd succeed at United.

leontas

Hansi Flick. His German national stint was nothing to write home about but had that Bayern team purring.

RedIan

Ffs, last year ETH won a trophy, he then reached the FAC final and finished 3rd in the league. Have we forgotton all that ??
We have had a shocking start to this season, loosing 4 games, but we are still in Sept. The injury list he has faced is unprecedented.

so now we have the sack him brigade, bet they cant wait until we get a new manager in so they can turn on him after 12 months.

Someone

Something
We aren't going anywhere with Murtough and co running the club. Generally speaking I think the club needs to be sold first.

BigDerek

Season already feels like a write off. I'd rather we go for something out of the blue. We've went the proven manager route and we've went the nostalgic ex player route - neither have achieved much.

Neil Warnock is currently out of a job. He's a safe pair of hands and I'm sure he'll provide us with some laughs, legendary interviews, amazing ten pin bowling skills and a bit of excitement even if it's at his expense.

Maybe even bring in England's 100% win rate Big Sam as part of the backroom team too.

It sounds batshit crazy but crazier things have happened - Leicester won a PL title. Even Liverpool managed one too.

Maybe a bit of crazy is what's needed now?

ETH out
Warnock In.

GBBQ

Horrific reading to be fair.

The only thing I reckon is that we’ve probably indulged ETH too much with signings. Trusted his judgement a little too much at times. He has a veto on players so I don’t think there’s anyone there he didn’t want. I’m sure he’d have loved Kane but that deal was never a goer for a multitude of reasons.

I still think he deserves time for injuries to settle down and the team to gel as a unit.

in terms of a replacement I don’t know that there’s anyone who guarantees success. United fans have grown tired of the constant transition and I think we should keep ETH for now. Sell the club put in a world class structure and see does Ten Hag thrive then.

Crashoutcassius

We aren't there yet but the results of the coaching this season have been so a poor that eventually the players will lose confidence and then it doesn't matter who, just will need to happen. Feels inevitable but it often does after such a bad run of form

The Hilton

Season already feels like a write off. I'd rather we go for something out of the blue. We've went the proven manager route and we've went the nostalgic ex player route - neither have achieved much.

Neil Warnock is currently out of a job. He's a safe pair of hands and I'm sure he'll provide us with some laughs, legendary interviews, amazing ten pin bowling skills and a bit of excitement even if it's at his expense.

Maybe even bring in England's 100% win rate Big Sam as part of the backroom team too.

It sounds batshit crazy but crazier things have happened - Leicester won a PL title. Even Liverpool managed one too.

Maybe a bit of crazy is what's needed now?

ETH out
Warnock In.
This is either a pretty good satire of the general level of thought that most "Ten Hag out" posters put into their opinion, or it's a new low for the level of rationality on the forum.

I really hope it's the former.

NZT-One

As a authoritarian sure. But in the Premier League? Can't see what he's trying to do. I am usually about giving the manager more time, but I'm just not seeing the reason for optimism.

We're seeing more of his players today, Mount is playing in the role as intended. Just not seeing how it's gonna suddenly click.
Suddenly clicking is something that rarely happens anyways. Remind yourself that the team isn't really used to Hojlund (or any noteworthy striker at all). They aren't that much used to having a reliable keeper (passing wise) in behind them. A new system needs time. No matter how good the players are. Add to the fact, that we have some big injury issues going on and the form of some players really stinks. I can understand people saying that they don't really see the plan and I don't think everything ETH does is correct but I think, it makes sense to be a bit more generous when thinking about a system that hasn't really been in place the way the manager had planned.

Also such developments aren't really linear I think. It isn't as if we first can turn on the "defensively secure" option, then activate "safe buildup" mode, then adding the "pressing gear" to finally unlock the "effective chance creation" perk. The team right now seems very much out of sync. Some players are pushing up, some do not. Some are tracking back, some do not. How often have players stood on each others feet today. Its what you get with new players (to a degree) but I think, the worst we can do is underestimate the challenge it is, to implement a semi-modern, controlled and organized game style into a team where the most clear tactical plan of the last year has been "defend deep then play as vertical as you can".

I am all in for Glazers critique and I agree that our recruitment really needs a full reset but I certainly wouldn't say that the manager hasn't been backed last summer. Why would anybody say that, what was expected?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Last year I feel EtH showed us what he can do with limited resources, there’s only so long you can continue to pull rabbits out of a hat though & his signings simply haven’t raised the levels enough collectively.

That said, I find his start to this season alarming & think we’ve gone backwards since the League Cup Final so I wouldn’t say he’s ‘nailing’ the coaching, no.
I think ‘limited resources’ is a bit of a stretch personally. When I look at what other PL coaches have come in and done great work with, I wouldn’t call ETH’s resources limited personally.

As far as I’m concern, a good coach should be able to organise well regardless of his players. After that, the quality of player then determines how far the team can go. Roberto Martinez came and played beautiful football with Wigan. Brendan Rogers did the same with Swansea. It’s only here where the manager can be excused of poor structure, tactics or whatever unless he has a world XI.

If I saw the team well drilled but lacking quality, I’d have no issue with the manager. Wolves won’t win the league but anyone can see that they are playing well every game. We cannot keep blaming the players for the manager’s job.